Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

rt4 posted:

emacs update: this is pretty cool and im probably not going to renew my jetbrains subscription at this rate

I wanna use emacs for clojure but I’m too lazy to learn it. I’d pay someone like 40 bucks to teach me how to
use it. IntelliJ and cursive just suit too many needs for me to be assed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

free the post

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

emacs is good. i wish i could find a copy that works on Tiger.

e: newer than the version that's built in which is i think 22

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

tef posted:

it made hacker news

people then said 'he's wrong' because 'brokers do work at the edge' and 'everyone knows pubsub is not how you build work assignment'

well, everyone except the ampq vendors

every time queuechat comes up in this thread, it's you and mononcqc vehemently arguing against them, and everyone else going "what's the big deal?" it seems to be a lesson you need to learn through bitter operational experience, and some internet person writing about it is unlikely to convince you that queues aren't the be all and end all - especially with the hype that comes with eg kafka

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

fritz posted:

i bit the bullet a while ago and moved to 3, most of my work's in a repl and i majorly dislike some of the changes like "map no longer returns a list" b/c it messes with my muscle memory pretty terrilbe

because of this I wrote an ipython magic command to automatically convert certain objects (map, range) to lists when I'm looking at them but I forgot about it until now

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

tef posted:

it's a tersely written long read apparently

i can only assume americans expect smaller words and more encouragement

goddamn those millennials :argh:

or something about "working class" here to sound more british-like

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

redleader posted:

every time queuechat comes up in this thread, it's you and mononcqc vehemently arguing against them, and everyone else going "what's the big deal?" it seems to be a lesson you need to learn through bitter operational experience, and some internet person writing about it is unlikely to convince you that queues aren't the be all and end all - especially with the hype that comes with eg kafka

"what's the big deal?" can be split into those who know, don't know, and think they know how adding a queue in impacts their system. queues aren't going to murder your family and they work quite well certain things, but they are not without their downsides and people reach for queues without actually thinking about their finite scalability and failure scenarios in some form or another.

like all things in a distributed system, you shouldn't use one queue unless you understand how you'd use two.

maybe the next tef-post can be "no, that won't solve all your problems"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ima need a gang tag related to queues

also I got like 2-3 blog posts about how queues dont solve them problems but linking to them overall accomplishes little

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

redleader posted:

it seems to be a lesson you need to learn through bitter operational experience

that's operations

quote:

some internet person writing about it is unlikely to convince you that queues aren't the be all and end all

you say this but i have literally stopped someone writing a message broker in rust apparently

quote:

- especially with the hype that comes with eg kafka

kafka is a weird one, because, unlike many of the contemporaries, well, it's built with the assumption of running in a cluster, and topics being partitioned

meanwhile: there's like 20 data platform startups

all writing their own component of some sort of stack, made from the other companies apache software projects

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

FamDav posted:

like all things in a distributed system, you shouldn't use one queue unless you understand how you'd use two.

ooh, i like this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

y'all need to qq more about queues

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

kafka is a weird one, because, unlike many of the contemporaries, well, it's built with the assumption of running in a cluster, and topics being partitioned

you still have to make sure you can scale the number of partitions and not have your application gently caress up, Kafka just forces you to acknowledge that as part of its api

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redleader posted:

every time queuechat comes up in this thread, it's you and mononcqc vehemently arguing against them, and everyone else going "what's the big deal?"

yeah almost as if they worked somewhere that outgrew a lot of practices that work at small and medium scale

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

tef posted:

you say this but i have literally stopped someone writing a message broker in rust apparently

fwiw i'll look at queues very skeptically in the future. not that i'll ever drive any architectural decisions, but still...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah almost as if they worked somewhere that outgrew a lot of practices that work at small and medium scale

yes this is my point. most people don't run into those problems so will dismiss their points out of hand

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
EDIT: in retrospect, this was too rude

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 2, 2017

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I WISH

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

fritz posted:

i bit the bullet a while ago and moved to 3, most of my work's in a repl and i majorly dislike some of the changes like "map no longer returns a list" b/c it messes with my muscle memory pretty terrilbe

yeah and map is super weird because it's not just a generator object it's a special map object. why

maybe it's an implementation thing but god it sucks. GvR is honestly about as bad as rob pike or rms when it comes to advocating against common sense things that go against ~~his vision~~ of the project

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

I WISH

if you're into penguins and rooibos tea I know some people in South Africa who do interesting work

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tef posted:

it's a tersely written long read apparently

i can only assume americans expect smaller words and more encouragement

you need an animated gif in between each paragraph to keep it exciting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I ordered some RAM for my iMac off eBay from China. 3x 512MB PC-133 SDRAM.

one identifies as 512MB PC-100
one identifies as 256MB PC-133
one doesn't work

:rip:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Plorkyeran posted:

you need an animated gif in between each paragraph to keep it exciting

arbitrary emboldening is also very helpful, it tells me which words I can skip

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

I WISH

you wish there was the political will to go beyond medium scale things that were showing serious shortcomings?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

one doesn't work

last time i bought 512mb ram, george w bush was president

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

one doesn't work

Always buy Crucial. Always.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

curufinor posted:

last time i bought 512mb ram, george w bush was president

it won't identify anything above 512mb unless you use 2x 512 sticks

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
where'd you get it from? I almost always go to MemoryX, and did even before I could pick up from their will-call

they've always done me right and they carry all sorts of old obscure backstock, which you can search by Mac model, at reasonable prices

most recent thing I got from them was VRAM for a Quadra 700

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

chinese seller on ebay lol

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i'm really happy with kafka tbh

but people ask "i need an X, is kafka an X" and the answer is always no
it's just a big, dumb buffer
which is good becasue its fairly predictable how it behaves, so you can put it into a larger system

disregarding all the stuff they've added like streams and exactly-once-delivery, which i wouldn't trust at all
it took ages just for deleting topics to work right
like 4 releases with "we're pretty sure it works this time"

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

FamDav posted:

maybe the next tef-post can be "no, that won't solve all your problems"

no silver buffer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh yeah I installed Xcode on my actual modern Mac laptop and what the gently caress is objective c this is terrible!!!

also Xcode is not easy to use on a laptop, I'll have to hook up my DisplayPort to HDMI adapter again to use it with my PC monitor

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
objective c is cool cuz it's based on smalltalk the one true oop language

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh yeah I installed Xcode on my actual modern Mac laptop and what the gently caress is objective c this is terrible!!!

also Xcode is not easy to use on a laptop, I'll have to hook up my DisplayPort to HDMI adapter again to use it with my PC monitor

I use Xcode to work on Xcode on a portable all the time

and give it just a little bit and you'll realize you're entirely wrong about Objective-C, too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im slowly starting to hate rstudio, much like i do hate ides such as spyder when i have alternatives available. sadly, i don't think ill get a visual studio seat to replace rstudio

in other news, my first bug report to a major open source project got accepted as a but so now im only 99% terrible coder (perhaps)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

I use Xcode to work on Xcode on a portable all the time

and give it just a little bit and you'll realize you're entirely wrong about Objective-C, too

I have a 2011 MBA with 2gb of ram and a 900p screen, it chugs running Xcode but does laptop stuff (internet, writing stuff, playing Nintendo) fine :shrug:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh, 2GB of RAM, uh...

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Luigi Thirty posted:

give it a chance it's not bad at all. in fact you'll come to miss things like quasi-mandatory labels for function arguments in other languages

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

eschaton posted:

oh, 2GB of RAM, uh...

more ram than most of the computers Luigi works with have disk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teaching r with minecraft is the most terrifying education thing ive seen since devos confirmation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
does anyone have any good tools for managing multiple git repos?

at job i work with like 8 repos, and have to make changes in 3 - 8 depending on what a ticket touches. this obviously makes checking out branches, committing and merging quite annoying

i want a thing that lets me
- pull all repos
- check out ticket branch for a repo if exists else use master
- merge branch A into my branch for all repos

cos i sure am mad about having to do 1000 commands just to work on poo poo like a chump

• Locked thread