Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hey TGA I'll buy you a beer if we can talk about Maine poo poo.

Also hi thread I haven't logged on to SA in like a month but I'm moving to Singapore in like, a month to 6 weeks; basically as fast as they can process my visa.

Saraba goonbros

abayo~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hey TGA I'll buy you a beer if we can talk about Maine poo poo.

Also hi thread I haven't logged on to SA in like a month but I'm moving to Singapore in like, a month to 6 weeks; basically as fast as they can process my visa.

Saraba goonbros

sounds cool I'm totally and completely free from the 12th to the 15th

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

sounds cool I'm totally and completely free from the 12th to the 15th

Should be free the 14th, also if you're interested in joining, some mates and I will be going to a pro rugby game Saturday the 15th and drinking during and after, as is tradition.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo wants to spend more time with his sweat glands.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

LimburgLimbo wants to spend more time with his sweat glands.

Yeah the downside of Singapore is I'm pretty drat sure that I will become a shriveled husk within 5 minutes of stepping outside.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Should be free the 14th, also if you're interested in joining, some mates and I will be going to a pro rugby game Saturday the 15th and drinking during and after, as is tradition.

this sounds interesting, I may join for part of it if that's allowed. I didn't even know Japan had pro rugby. I've got stringent on my slack and Facebook so I'll reach out when I'm getting into Tokyo, like a day or two before. Tokyo goons own thx for being so inclusive and welcoming @(・●・)@

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Great Autismo! posted:

this sounds interesting, I may join for part of it if that's allowed. I didn't even know Japan had pro rugby. I've got stringent on my slack and Facebook so I'll reach out when I'm getting into Tokyo, like a day or two before. Tokyo goons own thx for being so inclusive and welcoming @(・●・)@
The rugby world cup is being held in Japan in 2019 so I guess they're pretty big into rugby there.

I'm planning to be back in Japan during that event, but I'm the only one of my friends who isn't into rugby so while they're at a game I'll go find something to do that they'd hate.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Japan has a domestic pro league that's pretty serious, but the game on the 15th is the last game of the season for Japan's Super Rugby team, which is the same league as all the NZ and Aus etc. teams.

By all means if anyone in looking for a group of drunk foreigner to watch burly men smash into each other with gimme a shout.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

What kind of snacks can I expect to find in great supply at convenience stores that can be useful for taking with me during long day trips and for eating between meals? For example, at home I would stock up on protein bars, granola, trail mix, etc. Other than bento boxes, which I know to expect, what else will be a good bet? Also, this would be more for keeping in the fridge at our lodging, but can I expect to find Greek yogurt? That's a staple for me at home.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Conbinis are fairly ubiquitous and most stock the same or sameish stuff. You can find Greek yogurt at grocery stores, but eh.

You can grab a grilled or deep fried chicken thigh at most places (or a fish stick, or a spicy chicken). But snacks/to go food are largely carb based (onigiris, breads, regular yogurt). You can get hard boiled eggs, though. Most places will have some fresh fruit, too.

What's your itinerary? Also, you're basically responsible for your trash (there are no public trash cans outside of conbinis and train stations for the most part), so keep that in mind, too.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Phone posted:

What's your itinerary? Also, you're basically responsible for your trash (there are no public trash cans outside of conbinis and train stations for the most part), so keep that in mind, too.

I have small trash bags that I'm taking so hopefully covered there.

As for the itinerary, the reason I asked the question is specifically for a few days where we'll be out all day and/or otherwise away from easily obtainable meals, including an overnight visit to Fuji and then a couple full day tours in Kyoto. The group I am with are also a bit opposite me in terms of eating patterns -- whereas I would prefer to be able to eat every few hours, they might go all day and not be bothered to eat. So I'm trying to plan for the situations where I know I might need to pack a significant amount of food in my backpack.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't speak to Fuji, but there are conbinis everywhere in towns. You'll be fine.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yes yogurt, no Greek.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Yes yogurt, no Greek.

There's Greek yogurt in basically every combini now

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

All combini (and most supermarket) yogurt, greek or otherwise, is terrible. Seriously, yogurt is the one thing I ate in large amounts back home and completely dropped in Japan.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I dunno man tastes a lot like fuckin yog to me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

orly.

Imma be running over to the family mart in a bit, if it ain't there imma take a huge poo poo on you.

If it is i'm gonna buy a pack.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

orly.

Imma be running over to the family mart in a bit, if it ain't there imma take a huge poo poo on you.

If it is i'm gonna buy a pack.

There's Oikos and/or Parthenon(?) at any decent combini. If your combini is poo poo that's on you man.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Back pedal as hard as you might I'm still gonna poo poo on you if it ain't there.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
get yourself some Grand Jagabee, it's tasty as heck

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Decided to give you a fighting chance and hoofed it down to a 7-11 instead of the Family Mart, but GUESS WHAT???

So to answer your question Sand Monster, you aren't going to find Greek yogurt here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol it totally exists in the suburbs sorry if you do all your grocery shopping at 7-11

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'll check a grocery store next.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
This is probably what you will find:

Although MyBasket also has a self-branded one.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Decided to give you a fighting chance and hoofed it down to a 7-11 instead of the Family Mart, but GUESS WHAT???

So to answer your question Sand Monster, you aren't going to find Greek yogurt here.

poo poo conbini status confirmed

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also smh if you live anywhere outside of an expat bubble making less than USD 1mm and surrounded by gaijin hunters at all time, just smh learn how to life

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

that's rich, coming from someone who works at the gas stand

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Dude I earn my money as the gas stand. I can 満 your タン so fast your head would spin.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

clever and sassy goodbye!!!!!!!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

orenronen posted:

All combini (and most supermarket) yogurt, greek or otherwise, is terrible. Seriously, yogurt is the one thing I ate in large amounts back home and completely dropped in Japan.

Where are you from? American yogurt is so loaded up with sugar and other poo poo that you might as well just be eating ice cream.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Original_Z posted:

Where are you from? American yogurt is so loaded up with sugar and other poo poo that you might as well just be eating ice cream.

Not American. I'm originally from Israel, a country you can talk a lot of poo poo about but no one can deny is very good with dairy-based food.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
I want to take some photos of a large crowd of salarymen with a drone.

For safety and permit reasons it's easiest if I fly over water (bay/river/canal) and shoot back towards a street.

Can anyone think of any cool busy places that see a lot of salaryman foot traffic and are next to water?

Preferably Tokyo but I can travel.

Preferably NOT in any of these circles and DEFINITELY not in the big circle.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PUUWP

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I just want to say you are awesome for actually getting a permit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I want to take some photos of a large crowd of salarymen with a drone.

For safety and permit reasons it's easiest if I fly over water (bay/river/canal) and shoot back towards a street.

Can anyone think of any cool busy places that see a lot of salaryman foot traffic and are next to water?

Preferably Tokyo but I can travel.

Preferably NOT in any of these circles and DEFINITELY not in the big circle.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PUUWP

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

Ochanomizu station, over the kandagawa?

Oh just looked at the circles, yeah no idea. Ariake maybe?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Ariake doesn't have crowds of salarymen since there aren't any really any offices.

I'm gonna suggest here:
https://goo.gl/maps/7aNrxrA3UaD2

There's a fair number of salarymen that cross that bridge in the morning, walking from Kachidoki station to Harumi. Triton Square has some big companies. You can shoot from over the river, and it's just outside your circles.

Edit: the generic "big crowd of salarymen" shot that Japanese news channels use as B-roll for boring economic/finance news is usually shot just outside of Tokyo station, at the crossings in front of Marunouchi north or south exits. However it's inside your circles and there's no water. Likely a no-fly zone anyway due to proximity of the emperor's palace.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 6, 2017

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm gonna give that place in Kachidoki a try on monday morning.

Any idea when the peak times are? I'm assuming around 8? And maybe 6 in the evening?

CrazySalamander posted:

I just want to say you are awesome for actually getting a permit.

Ty I'm doing this for a living so gotta keep it all above board, unlike the tourists that launch over shibuya crossing or fly around tokyo tower.
EDIT: Speaking of tourists... http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3098798.html

Completely unrelated question, are there any good Hello Fresh style services in Tokyo? I'm in a mega cooking rut and want someone to think for me.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 7, 2017

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yes I usually went by around 8am and it's fairly busy. I'm not sure about the evening hours, I guess lots of people in that office work overtime anyway.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Didn't get the shot I was after but it was still a really cool spot so thanks for the rec.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/8b184006fbcafa2cf055dcb64bd2d304

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I've been wanting to visit Japan for a few years but things just never worked out. Now I have some money saved up, but the person I was going to go with has bailed out.

I've never traveled solo before. Would it be worth it to get on one of those hokey 'guided tour across Japan!' things (I've never done one of those either) or should I just brave it and do my own thing? I was thinking of traveling in October/November to avoid crowds and heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Depends!

tell us about you, budget, previous travel experience, etc