Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just once I'd like Punisher or some other anti-hero badass to pull something like that and then find out they got a different guy with the same name or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

Just once I'd like Punisher or some other anti-hero badass to pull something like that and then find out they got a different guy with the same name or something.
I figure they'd just mope briefly about how yup this is why they are Damned(tm) and go on with more megagunning.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Toshimo posted:

All-New Marvel NOW! Magneto #1 (2014)

This is some incredibly blunt and silly writing. It's like it's half setting up a joke with the barista talk and half just "That guy was like the barista of MURDER."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nilbop posted:

This is some incredibly blunt and silly writing. It's like it's half setting up a joke with the barista talk and half just "That guy was like the barista of MURDER."

Pan the camera around and you'll find the guy's name written incorrectly with a list of his crimes in sharpie on his side.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, he got murdered because he gave money to Anti-Mutant organizations?
I mean, your normal average person has every reason to be anti-mutant, what with the constant fighting, cities getting destroyed every other day.
How much "collateral damage" in terms of civilian lives are there every day caused by mutants?

So no, this isn't badass. It's killing a guy for dropping a fiver in the Salvation army bucket.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, your normal average person has every reason to be anti-mutant, what with the constant fighting, cities getting destroyed every other day.
How much "collateral damage" in terms of civilian lives are there every day caused by mutants?

So no, this isn't badass. It's killing a guy for dropping a fiver in the Salvation army bucket.

Less then the Fantastic Four or Avengers. Its also a bunch of groups that go out of their way to kill mutants for just existing up to and including blowing up a bus of depowered mutants

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Johnny Aztec posted:

The phrase "genetic genocide" led me to half-expect he had married a mutant.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Nilbop posted:

I recently read through Marvel Now Magneto on the Unlimited app - it's not a good comic. He's a downright bastard, which I'm fine with, but the dialogue is awful and everything is heavy handed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Johnny Aztec posted:

The purifiers bombed a school bus.

Do you really want to be this guy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The purifiers bombed a school bus.

Do you really want to be this guy

Yeah, it's the difference between donating to the Republican party and donating to the KKK.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone in the comics that's with the Purifiers deserves whatever grisly fate awaits.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I hate the metaphor of mutants-as-minorities. Black people can't gently caress up fundamental forces of nature no matter what the KKK might think. Mutants absolutely can. Fear and terror of them is the only sane response, or at least it would be in a universe without people like Captain America or Iron Man or whatnot.

The X-Men suffer from the same problem as Batman: They're better used if you pretend they exist in their own pocket universe isolated from other superheroes.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

VanSandman posted:

I hate the metaphor of mutants-as-minorities. Black people can't gently caress up fundamental forces of nature no matter what the KKK might think. Mutants absolutely can. Fear and terror of them is the only sane response, or at least it would be in a universe without people like Captain America or Iron Man or whatnot.

The X-Men suffer from the same problem as Batman: They're better used if you pretend they exist in their own pocket universe isolated from other superheroes.
While it's largely true that there's not a meaningful difference between Colossus and the Thing or Mr. Hyde or whoever, the one prejudice inducing thing mutants have going for them over 'random person gets hit by lightning while on a crowded school bus and gains superspeed/weather control/energy form' types is that there are a lot more mutants who have no control over their own abilities. Cyclops was basically the first mutant ever created by Marvel and his whole deal was that he had to wear special glasses or he'd constantly be zapping people with his laser eyes; Rogue is possibly more famous for being continuously tortured by her dumb base powers and there are lots of other less important mutant characters who all share in the common thread of having some random superpower that they can't turn off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah they work better in a universe with other heroes. Just to parallel how insane and arbitrary real racism is,

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The trick is using it as an indirect parallel, and never being so stupid as to make a direct comparison. Kitty Pryde dropping the n-bomb, I'm looking at you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Isn't the X-Men metaphor more akin to homosexuality than it is about race nowadays?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yes and it fits better because homosexuals do have super powers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VanSandman posted:

Fear and terror of them is the only sane response, or at least it would be in a universe without people like Captain America or Iron Man or whatnot.
Why?

I mean sure, be scared of specific mutants. The analogy does break down somewhat because mutants are generally capable of causing a ruckus in a literal and physical way whereas no minority group in actual reality can do so, due to their minority status. I believe this is typically known as a "metaphor."

Now if the point is that due to the metaphor's details, the analogy is imperfect, I think that is fair to say. But you can also say that the money the Government is spending on Sentinels could be spent on basic training courses and power assessment curricula for neo-mutants, so they can join society.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah they work better in a universe with other heroes. Just to parallel how insane and arbitrary real racism is,

I think this is pretty much exactly the right answer. There's no real difference between Human Torch and say someone like Sunspot other than one flies and shoots fire from his hands because of an accident and the other does so because he was born that way. But the fact that one of them is constantly being looked down upon very clearly shows how that kind of discrimination makes no logical sense at all same as it makes no sense in the real world. In a world where they are the only super powers there is a legit reason to possibly fear that kind of person. There's no legit for reason for racism in our world there and there's no legit reason why Johnny Storm is adored by that world and is a huge star and Sunspot's weekends sometimes consist of giant robots created by the government trying to kill him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

I think this is pretty much exactly the right answer. There's no real difference between Human Torch and say someone like Sunspot other than one flies and shoots fire from his hands because of an accident and the other does so because he was born that way. But the fact that one of them is constantly being looked down upon very clearly shows how that kind of discrimination makes no logical sense at all same as it makes no sense in the real world. In a world where they are the only super powers there is a legit reason to possibly fear that kind of person. There's no legit for reason for racism in our world there and there's no legit reason why Johnny Storm is adored by that world and is a huge star and Sunspot's weekends sometimes consist of giant robots created by the government trying to kill him.

Sunspot can fly and shoot fire from his hands now?

:spergin:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

VanSandman posted:

The metaphore was always in them being persecuted for not being like everyone else. the same base persecution black people faced. then the justifications used for the prejudice mirror the justifications for mistreating black people (powers/violence mutant/different banding together for self defense/grouping together to attack)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

prefect posted:

Sunspot can fly and shoot fire from his hands now?

:spergin:

I meant Sunfire. I’ve been up sick all night. But technically Sunspot has been able to fly and shoot fire as well so I’m not really wrong there either. But I most definitely meant Sunfire.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

I meant Sunfire. I’ve been up sick all night. But technically Sunspot has been able to fly and shoot fire as well so I’m not really wrong there either. But I most definitely meant Sunfire.

I figured you meant Sunfire, but just felt like being a dick. :D

Also, people are mean to Sunfire because he's a giant rear end in a top hat, not because he's a mutant.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The two are not mutually exclusive!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Northstaaaaaaaaaar

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He just has a giant rear end in a top hat.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Magneto did nothing wrong

makoto20
Nov 23, 2006

X-O posted:

In that specific case it's the Fantastic Four's money and Johnny's Storms natural charisma. If Johnny had no powers he'd still be a well loved competitve stock car racer who gets his face in the papers while the internet loathes him for "being famous for being famous. Sunspot is an unknown unlikable dickbag who bullied a kid for having powers that were useless in a fight.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Didn't Reed Richards basically say in one of those comics that he specifically set out to turn the Fantastic Four into celebrities so they wouldn't be seen as freaks, scientific curiosities or whatever? The limelight as protection, if you will?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

makoto20 posted:

In that specific case it's the Fantastic Four's money and Johnny's Storms natural charisma. If Johnny had no powers he'd still be a well loved competitve stock car racer who gets his face in the papers while the internet loathes him for "being famous for being famous. Sunspot is an unknown unlikable dickbag who bullied a kid for having powers that were useless in a fight.

That is weirdly specific, no one knows who sunspot is, that is the whole point

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Psykmoe posted:

Didn't Reed Richards basically say in one of those comics that he specifically set out to turn the Fantastic Four into celebrities so they wouldn't be seen as freaks, scientific curiosities or whatever? The limelight as protection, if you will?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3410145&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post391776866

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

Why?

I mean sure, be scared of specific mutants. The analogy does break down somewhat because mutants are generally capable of causing a ruckus in a literal and physical way whereas no minority group in actual reality can do so, due to their minority status. I believe this is typically known as a "metaphor."

Now if the point is that due to the metaphor's details, the analogy is imperfect, I think that is fair to say. But you can also say that the money the Government is spending on Sentinels could be spent on basic training courses and power assessment curricula for neo-mutants, so they can join society.

I'm just saying that if I need a permit to carry a pistol, maybe the government should have oversight over the man with laser eyes that can cut buildings in half. You know. Know where he lives, maybe do a criminal background check before he's allowed in public, stuff like that?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But you have to go out and buy the gun, and consciously decide to take it with you. He can't do that. It's not his fault he was born with laser eyes. *That* is the point people are trying to make. Is it entirely unreasonable? No, but discrimination is discrimination.

Also they aren't lasers, they're beams of concussive force :reject:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 3, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Also they aren't lasers, they're beams of concussive force :reject:

There's an issue I love where Cyclops' deadbeat space-dad is trying to bond with him on an overnight camping trip. He asks Scott to light the campfire with his eyebeams and Scott's all,"Jesus Christ dad don't you know anything? :rolleyes:"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm just saying that if I need a permit to carry a pistol, maybe the government should have oversight over the man with laser eyes that can cut buildings in half. You know. Know where he lives, maybe do a criminal background check before he's allowed in public, stuff like that?

Before he's allowed in public? What else would they do with them? A camp perhaps? No wonder Magneto is killing your kind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Okay, I'm 6 months behind so I only know from covers, but isn't Sunspot running USAvengers? Granted his previous incarnation of Avengers had some issues with SHIELD, but I figured saving the President from evil alternate universe Reed Richards cut him some slack.

Here's a badass panel to compensate for my needless filler

Marvel Super-Heroes #8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

makoto20 posted:

Johnny was just some mechanic who really liked stock cars, he wouldn't have been anyone if he didn't get superpowers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Skwirl posted:

Here's a badass panel to compensate for my needless filler

Marvel Super-Heroes #8

And here it is at a legible resolution:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

There's an issue I love where Cyclops' deadbeat space-dad is trying to bond with him on an overnight camping trip. He asks Scott to light the campfire with his eyebeams and Scott's all,"Jesus Christ dad don't you know anything? :rolleyes:"

How many deadbeat space dads are floating around Marvel anyway? I mean, The Summers Dad, Thanos, J'son... I'm sure there's more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I keep forgetting they gave Thanos kids.