Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ToastyPotato posted:

That long explanation is a pretty inefficient way of saying "they didn't kill Spectacular just so that they could make Ultimate, they made Ultimate because they were killing Spectacular."

Well no. They made ultimate cause there was no way to continue Spectacular. It came out at a bad time. I am not a fan of Ultimate, but it can't be blamed for Spectacular not being able to continue.

Avengers Assemble can however be blamed for doing away with Avengers EMH. As that was just a stupid move.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It wouldn't have been so bad if everything hadn't been so... low-budget and tacky. The animation and art was weak, and the writing was even weaker, which is some feat considering they used photos run through filters as backgrounds.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

USM started off as really bad. I caught a few later episodes and they toned down the fourth wall breaking and whatnot so it was...okay, I guess? Not horrible? But it was never a good show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I think Ultimate had some fun episodes. This sounds like the conversation that happens around Teen Titans Go where the quality of the show becomes completely irrelevant because it's not whatever previous show people liked.

TTG and USM are both bad on their own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kids love Teen Titans Go, it's just not intended for weird adult males.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Every episode relies on beating the same joke into the ground, non sequiturs for the sake of non sequiturs, and all the characters being egomaniacal and cruel to each other.

It's Family Guy for 10 year olds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Every episode relies on beating the same joke into the ground, non sequiturs for the sake of non sequiturs, and all the characters being egomaniacal and cruel to each other.

That also could describe Loony Toons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, Family Guy is a children's cartoon with dick jokes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I understand that Darkseid is voiced by Weird "Al" Yankovic so just from that it sounds incredible

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That also could describe Loony Toons.

There's a rhyme and reason behind it, like Bugs antagonizing the Hunter trying to hunt him, and putting actual work into stuff like their film and opera parodies. TTG pulls poo poo like Robin being a total "psychopath" for reasons of low hanging fruit like him having no powers, and then has Cyborg turn into Optimus Prime for no reason while the BGM repeats "Night Begins to Shine" over and over.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I demand my silly super heroes cartoons to have a rich tapestry that explains its rhyme and reason

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Rich tapestry" nothing. It's just lazy storytelling, even for jokes. Being "for kids" and being comedic doesn't mean scraping the bottom of the barrel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
TTG had an entire episode where the Titans become slumlords and for that alone it is great

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Rich tapestry" nothing. It's just lazy storytelling, even for jokes. Being "for kids" and being comedic doesn't mean scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Yes it does.

(Looney Tunes is not for kids.)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The Trigon episode is great

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Calaveron posted:

I understand that Darkseid is voiced by Weird "Al" Yankovic so just from that it sounds incredible

I know it's a typo, but I love the subtle implication that you are not convinced of this Weird Yankovic fellow's capacity for being an "Al" or not.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Teen Titans Go is great. Not liking a thing is fine, but grown up men on the Internet crusading against it always come off as weirdos. Just don't watch it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a rhyme and reason behind it, like Bugs antagonizing the Hunter trying to hunt him, and putting actual work into stuff like their film and opera parodies. TTG pulls poo poo like Robin being a total "psychopath" for reasons of low hanging fruit like him having no powers, and then has Cyborg turn into Optimus Prime for no reason while the BGM repeats "Night Begins to Shine" over and over.

I could be remembering poorly, but I'm almost certain there are LT episodes of Bugs just being a smarmy rear end in a top hat to Daffy or Porky simply because he could.

TTG gets my respect because it's willing to confront all of its criticisms like in the Young Justice crossover episode.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah and those are generally regarded to be some of the worst.

Those episodes you're talking about also reduce all the criticisms to a straw man and basically end up "stop criticizing us we're dumb and stupid and therefore beyond reproach".

the most damning thing about TTG is that everything it tries to do was done infinitely better and with more overall charm and humor in the DC Nation "New Teen Titans" shorts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
TTG is like Always Sunny in Philadelphia but for children, it's great.

Also lol at someone pretending Looney Toons have rhyme or reason for what it did, it was pure nonsense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who like Young Justice seem to hate Teen Titans Go, so it must be doing something right.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think TTG is just fine. But then again, I only saw Teen Titans in syndication so I always preferred the standalone episodes more, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

TTG is like Always Sunny in Philadelphia but for children, it's great.

OK holy gently caress is ttg only available to cable subscribers or what

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Creepy old guys into Starfire was all that kept the original Teen Titans run going.

And also their comics.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's funny because it's TTG that makes the creepy and weird jokes about its characters, not the original show

See the "Lady Legasus" episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Catching up on this Batman/Joker talk, I think the best story about them was the graphic novel "Devil's Advocate" where, for once, The Joker is declared competent to stand trial for a series of murders. He's convicted, and sentenced to die. The only problem is he didn't actually commit the particular crime he was arrested for. Batman is determined to find the real killer, but finds his reasoning questioned by Gordon and Robin, who thinks he should just let it go, and Oracle, who refuses to help him. Meanwhile, the Joker's fighting for the right to get his execution televised.

In the end, B & R find the real killer, and the Joker's life is spared by a call from the governor seconds before he is electrocuted. The book ends with the Joker back in Arkham, taunting Batman because despite this being the closest he came to dying, he's still here. To which Batman responds "Just remember, from this moment on, every minute of your life, you owe to me." And the leaves the Joker screaming in rage.

I just loved that every one wanted the Joker to suffer, and that Batman found that the best way to do it was to save his life.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 2, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah and those are generally regarded to be some of the worst.

Those episodes you're talking about also reduce all the criticisms to a straw man and basically end up "stop criticizing us we're dumb and stupid and therefore beyond reproach".

the most damning thing about TTG is that everything it tries to do was done infinitely better and with more overall charm and humor in the DC Nation "New Teen Titans" shorts.

So what, the only good Looney Tune cartoons are like the 3 that you mentioned? Give me a break. Those episodes show how ridiculous and worthless those particular criticisms are. What's better is that it shows that the creators aren't so quick to apologize simply for existing. That's what so many people who hate TTG want. An apology for killing off Teen Titans or whatever nonsense.

What you are probably experiencing with the difference between the cartoon and the shorts is just length. I assume you are a grown adult. What you might find humorous in a short may wear thin when it goes on longer. The shorts aren't really all that different in content.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Davros1 posted:

Catching up on this Batman/Joker talk, I think the best story about them was the graphic novel "Devil's Advocate" where, for once, The Joker is declared competent to stand trial for a series of murders. He's convicted, and sentenced to die. The only problem is he didn't actually commit the particular crime he was arrested for. Batman is determined to find the real killer, but finds his reasoning questioned by Gordon and Robin, who thinks he should just let it go, and Oracle, who refuses to help him. Meanwhile, the Joker's fighting for the right to get his execution televised.

In the end, B & R find the real killer, and the Joker's life is spared by a call from the governor seconds before he is electrocuted. The book ends with the Joker back in Arkham, taunting Batman because despite this being the closest he came to dying, he's still here. To which Batman responds "Just remember, from this moment on, every minute of your life, you owe to me." And the leaves the Joker screaming in rage.

I just loved that every one wanted the Joker to suffer, and that Batman found that the best way to do it was to save his life.

That only works if you assume Joker never escapes or kills again though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

So what, the only good Looney Tune cartoons are like the 3 that you mentioned? Give me a break. Those episodes show how ridiculous and worthless those particular criticisms are. What's better is that it shows that the creators aren't so quick to apologize simply for existing. That's what so many people who hate TTG want. An apology for killing off Teen Titans or whatever nonsense.

What you are probably experiencing with the difference between the cartoon and the shorts is just length. I assume you are a grown adult. What you might find humorous in a short may wear thin when it goes on longer. The shorts aren't really all that different in content.

... What? What are you saying here? Looney Tunes has gone on for a century now. There's plenty of time for it to accrue multiple episodes that are bad or exaggerate the characters in excessive ways. The are plenty of shorts that animation fans dislike in comparison to others.

Even if it were just a matter of length, though, TTG does legitimately have a problem with its jokes wearing thin and being run into the ground. But no, it's not just that. TTG's style of humor is to be as loud as possible, repeating the joke as if they were going "ha ha ha, are you laughing yet"? Most of the stuff they base an entire episode has three minutes worth of jokes in it and they beat it into the ground, and they never step outside of the likes of "ha ha, pyramid schemes actually have mummies involved in them" and "waffles waffles waffles".

The NTT shorts also manage some consistent characterization and most of the shorts don't hinge on every single member of the cast being terrible to each other. You also get more variety, like another great Mumbo musical or an extended skit about Red X's identity that actually manages to use the fandom debate about him for humorous purposes; when TTG acknowledges the fans it's always to complain about no one liking them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Pretty short sighted of Batman when the next couple thousand people Joker kills are explicitly on him though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are you assholes talking about Batman loving the Joker again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

That only works if you assume Joker never escapes or kills again though.

Yes, which every single story has to do by necessity because otherwise nothing makes any sense at all.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Teen Titans Go is fantastic and about 100 times better than Young Justice or the original Teen Titans.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Are you assholes talking about Batman loving the Joker again?

Well we're also slapfighting over TTG again, so the thread's getting more efficient :shepicide:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Calaveron posted:

Pretty short sighted of Batman when the next couple thousand people Joker kills are explicitly on him though

It also makes little sense that this would make the Joker angry considering Batman's probably saved the Joker's life countless times by now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well we're also slapfighting over TTG again, so the thread's getting more efficient :shepicide:

To be fair it's one guy who hates TTG for whatever reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, TTG is great and offers a great view of the characters interacting in unique and fun ways to showcase their relationships along with creative and inane plots.

USM I say turns decent in Season 3 and 4. Not amazing, mind you, but it's a pretty alright and unique entry in the Spider-man Animated shows. Just Spidey being huge in the marvel universe and dealing with stuff that's usually way above his paygrade while also showcasing why he's one of the biggest heroes ever that other heroes get molded after. Peter Parker himself is almost nonexistent so i super get why someone wouldn't even give it a chance.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't find TTG entertaining in the slightest, and arguments about it are on the same level.

So long as we all agree that the Brotherhood of Evil in the original Teen Titans series were the best villains.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I could be remembering poorly, but I'm almost certain there are LT episodes of Bugs just being a smarmy rear end in a top hat to Daffy or Porky simply because he could.

One of the best and most well-regarded Looney Tunes ever is "Duck Amuck", a 7 minute short wherein Bugs Bunny tortures Daffy Duck by ripping his very reality asunder.

Roth posted:

So long as we all agree that the Brotherhood of Evil in the original Teen Titans series were the best villains.

Yeah I'll back that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Slade? Trigon? Dr. Drakken?

Chumps, all of them. A brain in a jar, a talking gorilla, and lovely Vandal Savage came closer to winning than all of them.