Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

To be real for a moment, Kobach's voter fraud panel does not have the resources to pursue actual cases of voter fraud. Given his history in Kansas and the language of the request, I expect that the report will focus on those who are registered in two states and try to conflate double registration with illegal voting in multiple states. It will probably also try to make "soft matches" between people with similar names and voting records across state lines, implying that some of these cases might be instances of voting fraud. The panel itself might hear testimony from local and state election officials claiming anecdotal instances of voting fraud or otherwise suspicious behavior.

My concern with 2018 would be the report's recommendations, which might encourage states to purge their voter rolls, institute double registration, and take other measures meant to otherwise reduce "voter fraud." While the report might not stand up to scrutiny for most experts, it might provide motivation to restrict voting for states heavily controlled by one party.

All of this assumes that the panel is able to produce a final report and that there are no egregious instances of manipulation.

This is literally and exactly how Crosscheck works/worked. Kobach got a bunch of states to send him their voter roles, and he fed them into this system, then went back and said "okay here are duplicates between states, purge them."

Now, the system has checks for using middle name and a host of other things to minimize or eliminate false positives. They just disabled all of them, and probably selectively picked their duplicates on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

The media just can't help falling over themselves to write glowing pieces about Ivanka. Who is the only one in the family smart enough to keep her mouth shut about most things and gives mostly non-answers when asked about controversial issues. John Oliver did a good piece a month or two ago talking about this.

She's a personality-free emotionless left-brained marketing expert. (gee I wonder who did that.) I can understand the WANT to humanize her, but that seems like a hail-mary.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would pay good goddamn money for White House chef meatloaf.

There's a recent book called A Meatloaf in every oven.

The authors got recipes from a lot of notable people including several politicains. I made a joke about Paul "skips leg day" Ryan and his deerloaf and him being a hunter that definitely hunts for real.

e: reference pics.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 2, 2017

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bueno Papi posted:

It's easy to mock him but even Guy Fieri is too high end for Trump.

Eh, Trump would want him based on popularity standing alone.
You could be a clown slapping together a cheeseburger and if Trump read about your popularity, he'd hire you immediately. You know, provided that you've never done anything that left him with less than a smile because he's a petty old fucker

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Young Freud posted:

That sounds like a mishmash of political terms he heard. Why the hell would there be a term limit on lobbyists? They're not elected.

You should have asked him if the same idea should apply to presidents. Maybe have a big council that regulates who should be president or not.

I brought up the problem of lobbyists running the show when you have term limits, and that was his answer, coupled with having new members of the house and senate do an internship. I gotta say the second one seems a like a solid stab at problem solving rather then just complaining. I'm not sure how it would work but I don't think apprenticing(his word) politicians before they go into office is a terrible idea.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Another chef has hanged themselves with their apron, my Lord. The suicide note read the same as the last two...'I just can't waste my life and talent cooking food this bad - I would say to tell my wife and children I love them, but I forgot how to love anything a month ago.'"

"USELESS MORONS!!! Bring me...Guy Fieri."

"Harold died a long time ago. I knew we would have to reach out to Dignitas when he started furiously Googling KFCs blend of recipes while angry tears filled his eyes."

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Bueno Papi posted:

It's easy to mock him but even Guy Fieri is too high end for Trump.

Despite what he's known for, Guy Fieri actually lives in like, one of the most liberal counties in the nation. And while I'm not a fan of his restaurants, he does do work with one of the tastier restaurants in his area, which is a culinary apprentice program for at-risk youth & young adults. https://www.worthourweight.org

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pillowpants posted:

And the Paul Weyrich archives are filled with over 600 pages of archives related to Russia.

So Paul Weyrich is a name that comes up in my own research as well. He is nuts-deep in connections to the Council for National Policy, ALEC, and helped promote Accelerated Christian Education behind the scenes. Needless to say I am very interested in seeing where your research leads Pillowpants.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Which Justice did you see?

I hope it was Sotomayor winning a bar brawl.

Notorious RBG at that National Art Gallery

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

He was a Bircher too. Soooooo, basically every right wing poo poo head you can think of will be connected to him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Throwing Turtles posted:

I brought up the problem of lobbyists running the show when you have term limits, and that was his answer, coupled with having new members of the house and senate do an internship. I gotta say the second one seems a like a solid stab at problem solving rather then just complaining. I'm not sure how it would work but I don't think apprenticing(his word) politicians before they go into office is a terrible idea.

It's another sign of the guy being political ignorant. Most representatives worked their way up to elected office either by doing grunt work early in their career or being activists, they rarely just pop up from nowhere unless they have poo poo-tons of money and popularity. Paul Ryan was a congressional aide for Senator Bob Kasten back in 1992, then getting into the FreedomWorks gravy train before going for political office. Nancy Pelosi literally interned for Senator Daniel Brewster and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer in the '60s and '70s, before she worked her way up through the local, state, and national-level Democratic Party structures in the late '70s and '80s, and before running for Congress in 1993. Mitch McConnell also interned for Senator John Sherman Cooper during the '60s. Chuck Schumer campaigned for Eugene McCarthy before going into state then federal politics. None of these guys came from nowhere, their early careers were spent working for other elder statesmen.

That guy also lacked the self-awareness that his boy would be disqualified under his idea. Hillary Clinton was far more experienced politically than Trump before going into elected office, having worked with on Walter Mondale's subcommittee on migrant labor as a researcher, among her activist background.

People need to take civics classes.

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i dreamed i saw obama riding shotgun in the sky, and he was turning into butterflies above our nation

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Young Freud posted:

It's another sign of the guy being political ignorant. Most representatives worked their way up to elected office either by doing grunt work early in their career or being activists, they rarely just pop up from nowhere unless they have poo poo-tons of money and popularity. Paul Ryan was a congressional aide for Senator Bob Kasten back in 1992, then getting into the FreedomWorks gravy train before going for political office. Nancy Pelosi literally interned for Senator Daniel Brewster and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer in the '60s and '70s, before she worked her way up through the local, state, and national-level Democratic Party structures in the late '70s and '80s, and before running for Congress in 1993. Mitch McConnell also interned for Senator John Sherman Cooper during the '60s. Chuck Schumer campaigned for Eugene McCarthy before going into state then federal politics. None of these guys came from nowhere, their early careers were spent working for other elder statesmen.

That guy also lacked the self-awareness that his boy would be disqualified under his idea. Hillary Clinton was far more experienced politically than Trump before going into elected office, having worked with on Walter Mondale's subcommittee on migrant labor as a researcher, among her activist background.

Yeah he was all over the place, but hearing him talk about politicians needing training was a hell of a lot easier then hearing how great Trump was. At this point my bar is so low that somebody moving away from 2nd amendment solutions is a good day no matter how out of touch with reality it is.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

city of doves posted:

i dreamed i saw obama riding shotgun in the sky, and he was turning into butterflies above our nation

What's the over/under on whether he was actually riding shotgun?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

city of doves posted:

We are stardust
We are golden
We are piiiiiss taaaapes...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

repeating posted:

What's the over/under on whether he was actually riding shotgun?

The letter W.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 2, 2017

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Spiffster posted:

No sir, you can't cast Engineered Plague targeting Muslims...

On the other hand, considering what he cast to win the election, I wouldn't be so sure...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mynnna posted:

On the other hand, considering what he cast to win the election, I wouldn't be so sure...

Fun fact: that card has a current internal identifier on the Magic web site of 1488.

Also, the artist is a Neo-Nazi.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Boon posted:

Idiot.

Reactionary obviously not getting that quoted poster was saying a dumb and I added a dumb to it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

He said congress and senators should have internships, nothing about the Prez.

MAGA!

*keeps voting Dr. "Best Brain" Donnie even after Dr. Donnie forced himself into a operating room and caused an "incident"*

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
The one constant so far has been the Republicans projecting like crazy. Everything they accuse the Democrats of turns out to be something they themselves had been knowingly doing all along. At first it seemed like a tactic, but at this point it seems like some kind of uncontrollable Riddler-esque compulsion.

Given that tendency to project with all of their accusations, should we be a bit worried that they keep bringing up the idea of Democrats running a child sex slavery ring catering to the top echelons of government?

Pizzagate was absurd enough long before it was upgraded to Martian Pizzagate, but it got a weird amount of traction.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Prism posted:

Fun fact: that card has a current internal identifier on the Magic web site of 1488.

Also, the artist is a Neo-Nazi.

The ID numbers in there are pretty much just "every magic card in existence sequentially", so it very likely is just a hilarious coincidence, but still. :stare:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Whenever I have a conversation with my dad about Russian interference in the election, he brings up US interference in the Israeli election and he seems genuinely more upset about that than anything Russia did. My dad has no connection to Israel.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pakled posted:

Whenever I have a conversation with my dad about Russian interference in the election, he brings up US interference in the Israeli election and he seems genuinely more upset about that than anything Russia did. My dad has no connection to Israel.

The man had to have lived through the 70s and 80s, does he not remember the US / USSR loving around with elections all over the world?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Your dad is an idiot.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Robot Hobo posted:

The one constant so far has been the Republicans projecting like crazy. Everything they accuse the Democrats of turns out to be something they themselves had been knowingly doing all along. At first it seemed like a tactic, but at this point it seems like some kind of uncontrollable Riddler-esque compulsion.

Given that tendency to project with all of their accusations, should we be a bit worried that they keep bringing up the idea of Democrats running a child sex slavery ring catering to the top echelons of government?

Pizzagate was absurd enough long before it was upgraded to Martian Pizzagate, but it got a weird amount of traction.

I think it did start as a tactic, but was profitable - so therefore about half that nation is eating it up right now while the republican news/radio sell pills, reverse life insurance, and catheters. You see because that target audience - those who want their deepest, shameful fears to be publicly legitamized. Lo and behold it worked.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What US-Israeli interference is he talking about?

The only instances I know of are recent ones. And by ones, I mean one and that was Bibi being a cocksucker that tried to help Mittens win because he hates that " "neoliberal" " Obama.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

What US-Israeli interference is he talking about?

The only instances I know of are recent ones. And by ones, I mean one and that was Bibi being a cocksucker that tried to help Mittens win because he hates that " "neoliberal" " Obama.

I think it's the one where the Obama administration funded some organization that was officially promoting a two-state solution but had no party affiliation, but then after they got the money (with no strings attached) they shifted toward taking direct sides in the Israeli election.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

Dennis Hastert's scandal already happened, and he was Speaker of the House for eight years, but it didn't get much attention because he'd already been out of office and out of the public eye for another eight. The 2006 midterm election already had a child sex scandal with Rep. Mark Foley resigning on September 29, 2006. Imagine if such a scandal had happened right now with Paul Ryan in October 2018, presaged by a random no-name representative resigning a month earlier. Such a scenario is more than theoretical; it could have already happened eight years earlier if the holes of Swiss cheese had aligned.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when every now and then Obama would venture outside the White House and go to 5 guys or Panera Bread or some poo poo? Mingle with the commoners for a bit?

Trump would never consider doing anything like that. Ever.

There is a significant chance he would have an incredibly ugly social encounter caught on camera.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dont even fink about it posted:

There is a significant chance he would have an incredibly ugly social encounter caught on camera.

If cameras are present, it's really a matter of when, not if, and definitely not where.

Florida Ghost
Apr 5, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Notorious RBG at that National Art Gallery

In full rave gear, no doubt.

Because she is just that cool.

Florida Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 2, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It had to be done...

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
"If this war goes on, and it will -- it will.
What else can we do but go on, you and I?
It's always the same question forever, what else can we do?
If they fight, we must fight with them. And does it matter after all, who wins?
Was that ever really the question?
Will Almighty God ask that question in the end?"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

"If this war goes on, and it will -- it will.
What else can we do but go on, you and I?
It's always the same question forever, what else can we do?
If they fight, we must fight with them. And does it matter after all, who wins?
Was that ever really the question?
Will Almighty God ask that question in the end?"

Such a good movie. Sheen might have been a little miscast though imo.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I don't know, I like it. He's intense and weird about it. I can't process Berenger as the legit non-crazy man. That's the strange part for me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Majorian posted:

What movie we talking here? I need some stuff to watch this summer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BigglesSWE posted:

Platoon. Another movie I've been thinking a lot about lately is "The Last Supper" with Ron Perlman playing a conservative pundit with lofty ambitions.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Young Freud posted:

It had to be done...

Need to get me on my Martian plantation with my child slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

BigglesSWE posted:

For a second I thought they were talking about Major League and I was gonna say that Sheen was perfect casting since he can throw an 85 mph fastball on steroids.

• Locked thread