Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oooof. 4 million cbills. I haven't been playing consistently, so i dont have a bunch saved up. Maybe I'll try a budget version...

Thanks

If anything I'd wait until the tech update. It'll make STD engines obsolete and any build that uses one will need 1-4m C-bills for an LFE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yeah i went with a smaller engine i already had, and a poo poo ton of std heat sinks.

Got me to just about the same heat efficiency, and in the mid 50s-ish speed. Powerful mech, but i can see why you need the speed.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Skippy McPants posted:

[*]UAC/10
Fixed ammo tuning to appropriate amount, 40 shots per ton, 20 per half ton
Heat reduced to 3 (from 4)

[*]UAC/20
Fixed Ammo tuning to appropriate amount, 21 shots per ton, 9 per half ton
21/2 = :pgi:

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

I think it's because they wanted you to have a clean amount of shots per ton/half ton, but since there's the ammo skills it's still pretty :pgi:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Even still, it should be 10 rounds and not 9. Shouldn't it?

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011
IS UAC/20s fire 3 rounds/trigger pull, so they rounded 3.5 pulls (10.5 rounds) to 9 to get 3 trigger pulls in half a ton like it's AC/20 cousin.

Mottie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 2, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
LFEs are going to be absolutely transformative in Battlemasters

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

LFEs are going to be absolutely transformative in Battlemasters every inner sphere heavy and assault.
They're going to need to give clans some love because at the moment IS just got massive weight gains.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Are they? Clans still have a statistical advantage across the board. At most, they'll need to reduce or strip out some of the quirks in IS mechs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ein Sexmonster posted:

They're going to need to give clans some love because at the moment IS just got massive weight gains.

As opposed to the massive weight advantage clan mechs already had just for their non suicide XLs?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DancingShade posted:

As opposed to the massive weight advantage clan mechs already had just for their non suicide XLs?

That's only one bit of tech though. The question is whether or not the standing buffs IS chassis have (quirks etc.) summed with the new boost they'll receive in the Civil War update are enough to push them ahead of the Clans in aggregate.

I doubt they are, but you never know!

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skippy McPants posted:

Are they? Clans still have a statistical advantage across the board. At most, they'll need to reduce or strip out some of the quirks in IS mechs.

Don't you worry there lil' buddy. Ask of this and you shall eventually receive from the crack team of xml editors at :pgi:.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not really sure clans are going to have a statistical advantage at all after civil war hits. The ER ML outranges its clan counterpart & burns for less time at the same heat efficiency albeit slightly less damage; the IS LPL has been better than the clan LPL for a long time, IS SRMs are better, IS UACs and ACs are better (the UAC20 doesn't even have ghost heat!!!) and now the IS is getting a few new techs like MRMs that are potentially quite usable while the clans get... a new LRM, an AMS that generates more heat than being flamed, lasers with 1.7s burn times and different lasers with sub-100m range.

The only way IS mechs are worse at all is: The LFE is slightly worse than the cXL, and endo & ferro take up more crits. That's already more than balanced by the fact that a) most clan mechs are omnimechs are simply cannot take both endo & ferro, and none of them can change their engine size; b) clan mechs/battlemechs that do get endo & ferro have absolutely trash mobility stats and c) the IS skill tree just provides much better benefits than the clan one, in addition to generally being quirked much better.

I don't really have a horse in the IS v clan debate, but after civil war hits I will not be playing many clan mechs unless something drastic changes. Been playing quite a lot of the PTS and this is what I have been seeing there.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

aniviron posted:

(the UAC20 doesn't even have ghost heat!!!)

This is probably an oversight. the PTS build has a lot of ghost heat oddities. E.g. ERMLs don't stack with regular MLs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

New event starting pretty much right on the heels of the current one: https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/06/1852-heads-up-shoot-n-loot-bag-event-starts-july-3rd

Loot bags with a twist where you get to pick your prize after enough bags, which include picking patterns to unlock for mech camo, picking colors, picking warhorns, etc.

Looks like they figured out their play numbers get a nice boost when there's poo poo to win.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Bleh. I'm a little burnt out regardless. Probably taking a break for the foreseeable future.

Putt_Putt_Potato
Jan 23, 2015
Heyo, I need some advice.
I have like 5,500 in MC and almost bought the Tempest in a moment of drunk weakness. Are there any hero mechs that are actually fun? What's a better use for my MC?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are some OK heroes; what you want will probably depend on what kind of mechs you like playing though. Otherwise, premium time, mech bays, or decals to draw goatse/ballsacks on your mech. Usually best to wait for a sale.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Putt_Putt_Potato posted:

Heyo, I need some advice.
I have like 5,500 in MC and almost bought the Tempest in a moment of drunk weakness. Are there any hero mechs that are actually fun? What's a better use for my MC?

If you have to spend it right now Top Dog is one of the better ones. That said I'd wait for it to be on sale. I'm sitting on almost exactly the same amount and that's what I'm doing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cyrano4747 posted:

New event starting pretty much right on the heels of the current one: https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/06/1852-heads-up-shoot-n-loot-bag-event-starts-july-3rd

Loot bags with a twist where you get to pick your prize after enough bags, which include picking patterns to unlock for mech camo, picking colors, picking warhorns, etc.

Looks like they figured out their play numbers get a nice boost when there's poo poo to win.

quote:

If you own any level of the Osiris pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the Nightstar pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the Arctic Wolf pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the Nova Cat pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
A possible total of 165 Bonus Loot Bags from Bonus Redeems!

i wonder if this means they aren't getting as many pre-order sales as they want

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Agrajag posted:

i wonder if this means they aren't getting as many pre-order sales as they want

They always do those.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So, I noticed something interesting about the TBR-S's set of 8 bonus: it actually offers fairly ridiculous brawling stats. Sure, you're locked with the jumpjets, but 20% torso speed on a nose-wiggle-wolf aint bad at all.

Could someone who owns one of those take
this thing out for a spin?

Post SPL nerf, the medium pulses still have that alpha for you. Its a step down from the old 4 spl(24 damage for 12 heat), but under the new system 3 clan MPL is 22.5 damage for 15 heat, which isn't bad at all.

I'm tempted to get one, but its a hell of an investment. looks like its the new splatwolf - could someone test drive it?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

So, I noticed something interesting about the TBR-S's set of 8 bonus: it actually offers fairly ridiculous brawling stats. Sure, you're locked with the jumpjets, but 20% torso speed on a nose-wiggle-wolf aint bad at all.

Post SPL nerf, the medium pulses still have that alpha for you. Its a step down from the old 4 spl(24 damage for 12 heat), but under the new system 3 clan MPL is 22.5 damage for 15 heat, which isn't bad at all.

I'm tempted to get one, but its a hell of an investment. looks like its the new splatwolf - could someone test drive it?

This is my first game with it. It probably needs another ton of ammo. The torso yaw rate is 91 deg/s after the quirks and skills. I'm wondering if the on1-iic-a would be a better version of this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

lwoodio posted:

I'm wondering if the on1-iic-a would be a better version of this.

Not something I say often, but yes, the Orion IIC would almost certainly do this better. Big armor quirks, changeable engine size, not completely shafted by the mobility changes, no hard locked equipment.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

lwoodio posted:

This is my first game with it. It probably needs another ton of ammo. The torso yaw rate is 91 deg/s after the quirks and skills. I'm wondering if the on1-iic-a would be a better version of this.

Respectable! How did it play?

how far did you go into the mobility tree?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

This is what I've been running (Yeah yeah, I know, Small lasers.)
Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated

You can get rid of a heat sink for a targeting computer or an active probe if that's your thing.

So I guess I should point out why I'm using smalls. It isn't because of the extra damage, it's because they sync up with medium pulse lasers. I don't twist quite as much as other goons, but I prefer to find the 1 on 1 fight and take that if I can. When the other person twists after taking a shot, I just focus on the torso they twisted away from and things usually work out pretty well. If they try to run, let them, but take a pot shot at their back and then return to your team. If you aren't greedy, The TBR-S still works perfectly fine.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 4, 2017

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

Respectable! How did it play?

how far did you go into the mobility tree?

The SRMs and MPLs can leave you in a bad spot if the match starts out as a poke fest. I only put 8 in mobility. I prioritize the survival and firepower trees most of the time.

I went ahead and bought the Orion iic a, and I think it is preferable to the TBR for SRMs. I did 2 LPL, 4 SRM6, XL 360, and 4.5 tons of ammo. The lower torso speed is barely noticeable and it feels quite a bit tankier. It has better poke with 2 LPLs, and you can shield with your left right side because you keep most of your firepower if the left right torso is destroyed.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 4, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

lwoodio posted:

The SRMs and MPLs can leave you in a bad spot if the match starts out as a poke fest. I only put 8 in mobility. I prioritize the survival and firepower trees most of the time.

I went ahead and bought the Orion iic a, and I think it is preferable to the TBR for SRMs. I did 2 LPL, 4 SRM6, XL 360, and 4.5 tons of ammo. The lower torso speed is barely noticeable and it feels quite a bit tankier. It has better poke with 2 LPLs, and you can shield with your left side because you keep most of your firepower if the left torso is destroyed.

I previously brawled with TBRs but after the skilltree I switched to the Orion, it's a beast. Personally I keep the LBX-20, I want to get the most brawling power out of the mech as possible, sucks when poking but it's not a poking build so.
ON1-IIC-A
Skills: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=a086ad1b-60bf-11e7-ae4c-8b1cb34e185a&s=Weapons
The skills originally posted had 10 points in the Miscellaneous tree, I do not think this mech has problems with heat so I never feel I need the coolshots so I moved them to the sensor tree instead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anyone have any good builds for the SRM commando?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Do you guys know how people are evaluating whether the upcoming civil war mechs are good or not? I saw a couple posts over on the MWO forums saying that the Uziel is going to be mediocre at best and was wondering how they came to that conclusion.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Don't give :pgi: money

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mostly by looking at the info on the store page: its stats, hardpoint config, and location, etc. I don't know much about IS 50-tonners, but there are quite a few of them, so the Uziel will be stepping onto an already crowded stage. However! Since the engine decoupling base mobility has become a major factor in the viability of a mech, and the store pages don't provide mobility stats.

So unless and until they start giving us the mobility info for preorders, speculating about the viability of any chassis before release is kinda pointless.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 4, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

So unless and until they start giving us the mobility info for preorders, speculating about the viability of any chassis before release is kinda pointless.

Which means that under no circumstances should you pre-order. Pre-ordering was a chump's game before, doubly so now. Wait until it drops and then decide if you want to give pgi money.

Hardpoints are king, though, with mobility a close second. Quirks are a distant third at this point.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yeah, no, I'm not pre-ordering them I was only curious how people were coming up with their evaluations. On the forums, and most notably a certain Youtuber that makes videos specifically on pre-order mech packs, it seems.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Formerly:

You looked at the base engine size and the max you could shove in
then hardpoints - there's some standouts, like CT lasers for zombies, or highmounts(in art)+jets. Deadsides, similiar hardpoints stacked next to each other, etc.
whether it comes with extra goodies like masc/ecm etc.
Lastly, tonnage for guns.

If its an omni: Whether it has endo(more important)/ferro(less important) and/or how much pod space where. +/- a keen eye for 'oh I cant put a big gun here because there's ton of hardlocked stuff'

Currently
'gently caress everything until mobility and quirk details are forthcoming'

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Agrajag posted:

Yeah, no, I'm not pre-ordering them I was only curious how people were coming up with their evaluations. On the forums, and most notably a certain Youtuber that makes videos specifically on pre-order mech packs, it seems.

Kanajashi. He tends to be really good at figuring out whether a mech will be viable or not by it's give stats. I don't know how he will be taking engine decoupling into consideration, since I haven't watched any of his recent videos.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never underestimate mech geometry and hardpoint locations either.

You can tell the issues the Uziel has just by looking at it - no shield arms and a low cockpit on a wide torso with shallow depth.

It might be "ok" but the direct competitor is the Enforcer and frankly that has better geometry so at best you're getting a worse knockoff.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 4, 2017

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone have any good builds for the SRM commando?

75% of an oxide mech baby
Utilize your structure quirks with 17 pts in survival, 0 operations required, get both missile racks, shoot butts and get cbills.

Mottie fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 5, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Get the "Dish" warhorn from the lootbag rewards, it is awesome, on the level of Rec. Room Speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mottie posted:

75% of an oxide mech baby
Utilize your structure quirks with 17 pts in survival, 0 operations required, get both missile racks, shoot butts and get cbills.

Ok, that's a good build. I haven't even skilled it yet and I'm getting pretty regular 400 damage games, which is really good for me in a light.

• Locked thread