Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
pretty cool pics, dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cavelcade posted:

An attempt was made.
:hfive:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Angry Santa best Santa.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

skasion posted:

How doesn't that count? The game doesn't really tell you that's how it works, but if you want to warp back to your last bench, that's how to do it. It's not a glitch and it doesn't lose your progress, so why not use it?

Quitting back to the main menu doesn't count because it's using the video game as a video game to do what you want it to, and not acting within its bounds. Yes, the end goal is the same, but the difference is that quitting out is not something your character does, it's something you do.

edit: It's kind of like quitting out to complete crow trades in Dark Souls 1. The reason crow trades go through instantly in 2 and 3 is not just because it's a pain to have to reset the area.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 30, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Got lazy at the end, sorry.

I don't need SotFS though, was just kinda bored.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Some seriously good dumb fan-art in here! But I did say 'the first,' so Cavalcade gets the code! You don't have PMs, so post an email for me to send it to you. I do have a bunch of other codes tho from various other Bundles, so I sent those around to everyone with PMs. :) I honestly think there's a kind of appeal to MSPaint art, a...forced style that makes it look super rad to me.

And Chomp6845 post your email and I'll send you somethin' too. :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aw, you shouldn't have :kimchi:

I just couldn't turn down an excuse to mspaint.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bogart posted:

Some seriously good dumb fan-art in here! But I did say 'the first,' so Cavalcade gets the code! You don't have PMs, so post an email for me to send it to you. I do have a bunch of other codes tho from various other Bundles, so I sent those around to everyone with PMs. :) I honestly think there's a kind of appeal to MSPaint art, a...forced style that makes it look super rad to me.

And Chomp6845 post your email and I'll send you somethin' too. :3:

Thanks man! 107322925@umail.ucc.ie

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today I learned that the pontiff knights with the curved swords have a 13 hit combo chain attack. gently caress off, are you actually serious with this

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Today I learned that the pontiff knights with the curved swords have a 13 hit combo chain attack. gently caress off, are you actually serious with this

It's the Scythe ones that are the real bastards. They have working "Tank hits" poise :v:

Watch out for the Pyromancers though. If they see you, they can cast their spells straight through walls with no line of sight because gently caress you that's why.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Really, all of Irithyll can just get in the loving sea

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Haha I remember being so drat hyped for this game for months and months.

When I reached irythill was the first time i asked myself "am I honestly having any fun with this poo poo?"

I also asked myself that question when playing the second DLC for the first time

Repeat playtrhroughs have made me appreciate the areas more (esp as I got slowly better) but wow From sure focused on making Slog Souls 3 the sloggiest of all

I wonder if my hundreds of hours in DS 1/2 and BB set me up for failure in this one until I adapted? For a longtime fan, I sure seem to be in the minority when I say that fuuuuck, DS3 is definitely the hardest and I die like a lot still

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

Really, all of Irithyll can just get in the loving sea

Yeah, I made it through on the first shot this time around but that's because I treated it as "Vidya games" rather than "Dark Souls is about SKILL :smug:" I like a lot of the areas, and I like this game. But that place really stands out as :sigh: for a big combo of reasons. With your first impression also including the fact it's when the game flips the double damage switch on everything.

I tell yah. My stupid like of the Dragonrider bow on the grab bag builds I prefer goes a long way to easing my suffering. It's nice enough it doesn't deal joke damage with minimal stats for it, but still encourages you to not try and spam it to take out giants or anything with it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I actually liked Irithyll. It didn't have any bullshit gimmicks like Farron Keep, the early Cathedral of the Deep, or the Smouldering Lake - it was just me and a bunch of moderately challenging but eminently killable enemies. Also, it is pretty as hell.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
also if youve played irithyll once, or even just decide to get brave, you can dash through most of it and not have to fight more than a few people.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

also if youve played irithyll once, or even just decide to get brave, you can dash through most of it and not have to fight more than a few people.

that was part of the problem

during my first playthrough, it was then that I realized most mobs weren't worth figthing because everything hit like a loving truck

idk, I never felt this way with the other DS games unless I was specifically running to the boss, but in DS3 i was actively incorporating running and avoiding poo poo into my initial exploration of any area in the second half of the game

second and plus playthroughs I'm more engaged and actively want to master each and every enemy, and even then it gets to be a drag and I eventually just say gently caress it and run

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The pontiff knights and the fire witches who can accurately hit you through several walls are total horseshit that make Irithyll seriously unfun. If we're talking about the Boreal Valley at large, the prisoner wardens aren't fun either. 'Hey, if you're smart, you'll never get hurt in Dark Souls! (Introduces an enemy that rips up your max HP by looking at you.)'

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I got invaded by a purple spirit, who just followed me around and watched me do PVE... for nearly the entirety of the Ringed City. It was seriously over an hour, starting from the Inner Wall bonfire, before he eventually got torched by Midir's flyby. Godspeed, overly patient purple phantom :911:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

KingSlime posted:

that was part of the problem

during my first playthrough, it was then that I realized most mobs weren't worth figthing because everything hit like a loving truck

idk, I never felt this way with the other DS games unless I was specifically running to the boss, but in DS3 i was actively incorporating running and avoiding poo poo into my initial exploration of any area in the second half of the game

second and plus playthroughs I'm more engaged and actively want to master each and every enemy, and even then it gets to be a drag and I eventually just say gently caress it and run

i actually really enjoyed that feeling, because it actually pressures you to move through the game and not explore so leisurely and then you actually do miss stuff, which i like.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think it's poo poo game design personally but to each their own?

OK, actually, you know what.

I guess there must still be something fun about DS3 because I keep coming back to yet another DS3 play through instead of ever getting around to finishing any DS1 play throughs. It does remind me of that time that Jake Solomon said that Firaxis cranked the difficulty in XCOM 2 up at a very late stage in development because it was necessary to "force players to engage with all of the game mechanics". DS3's dick-repeatedly-slamming-in-doorway difficulty forces you to use every technique in your arsenal. Dodging, blocking, parrying, locking, unlocking, staying right up your opponent's face to avoid one attack, backing the gently caress off when they wind up another.

DS1 has a few egregious and infamous difficulty spikes like Capra, AL archers, O&S etc but for the most part you can cheese a lot of trash enemies by circle-backstabbing with your shield up. It forces you to pay attention but it doesn't really force you to adapt in quite the same ways.

But on the other hand there are times when you get completely hosed by RNG with no way to escape, so, you know. Swings and roundabouts.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 1, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i cant think of a single moment where rng can gently caress you over in ds1 besides for speed runners who are going for the black knight halbert or greatsword.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

irithyll is probably my favorite part of this game but you are allowed to have opinions and I respect you for that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also pretty much every time I play a souls game I run into a moment where I'm just like "oh haha this is easy oh wait gently caress that hit for HOW MUCH damage? poo poo poo poo oh gently caress I am owned"
i don't really think souls 3 is really any different in that regard besides the weird enemy stagger properties taking some getting used to

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
irithyl knights are chumps who get easily staggered(including the scythe ones)+are fairly vulnerable to strafing and if you are careful there it is not hard

fire witches have a couple attacks(eruption, chasing fire) which should not go through/over terrain in the way that they do but they're a great enemy in terms of how the change how you fight the melee enemies who are generally placed in between you and them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronicDongz posted:

irithyl knights are chumps who get easily staggered(including the scythe ones)+are fairly vulnerable to strafing and if you are careful there it is not hard

fire witches have a couple attacks(eruption, chasing fire) which should not go through/over terrain in the way that they do but they're a great enemy in terms of how the change how you fight the melee enemies who are generally placed in between you and them

This is why I never knew about their 13 hit chain attack before, because in previous playthroughs I've always messed them up too fast for them to get a chance to do it.

Augus posted:

also pretty much every time I play a souls game I run into a moment where I'm just like "oh haha this is easy oh wait gently caress that hit for HOW MUCH damage? poo poo poo poo oh gently caress I am owned"
i don't really think souls 3 is really any different in that regard besides the weird enemy stagger properties taking some getting used to

The Dancer is always this for me. The fight goes great, until she hits me, and then I realize that she chops off half my health bar in one swing even though her swords are cutting through the air at "gentle but firm smack" speed.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Irithyll is my favorite level in the entire base game, maybe i'm just a sucker for the yharnam-like wide causeways that you use to navigate a significant part of the level as well as the looping around the enviroment. I've also never really had a problem with the fire witches or the knights because i've either killed or stunlocked them to death before they became a problem with the sole exception of the scythe knight before pontiff.

The fire witches in particular can be perma stunlocked out of attacking once you are in melee range. Even the slowest swinging greatswords and axes can still hit them before their attack animation goes off and can do it consistently enough that they barely even register as a threat once you kill their buddies.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm total dark souls newbie. I bought 3 from the E3 event. Never played any darks souls before.

I'm in Irithyill right now. I loving hate this place. My current strategy is to run as far as I fast as I can. It has been working pretty well for me currently. Though some beast just ate my face while I was waist deep in water.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Irithyll is basically the place where the game says you need to learn to play or get dunked on.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Iretep posted:

Irithyll is basically the place where the game says you need to learn to play or get dunked on.

nnnnnnnnnnnnno?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Bogart posted:

nnnnnnnnnnnnno?

I guess you could argue its the previous area but i find it still pretty easy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
even the high wall doesn't gently caress around in this game

or the intro boss for that matter

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The tall corvian knights with the claws in DLC 1 are much better than the pontiff knights from a design perspective. They too have a like 10-hit combo, but it attacks in one direction and then curves toward you instead of pivoting like a ballerina. Now if only they didn't do that same ridiculous leap attack as the ghrus on two legs in the swamp...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
rapier corvians are absolutely brutal if you don't have a strong weapon though

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Iretep posted:

I guess you could argue its the previous area but i find it still pretty easy.

wow. could you teach me about being such a cool and pro gamer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Here's a question I have that I haven't been able to find an answer to: What is this thing? Or at least, what is it supposed to represent? This is the bonfire in Ashes of Ariandel that takes you to The Ringed City, but this mannequin statue thing in front of it appears to be a unique decoration. What is it supposed to be?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the shed skin of priscilla's tail, I think

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Miyazaki thought it looked cool.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress the jailers forever. Why are there like 9 in this room?

Edit: Also why can't my chaos bed vestiges not hit a jailer if they are on the floor? It would be pretty nice if I could just use my pyromancy on them twice quickly instead of hitting them once and letting them get up.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shwqa posted:

gently caress the jailers forever. Why are there like 9 in this room?

Edit: Also why can't my chaos bed vestiges not hit a jailer if they are on the floor? It would be pretty nice if I could just use my pyromancy on them twice quickly instead of hitting them once and letting them get up.

Embrace pulling them with arrows like an MMO to deal with at your leisure/pump arrows into their face till they die. Because their distance from the door is so far their buddies don't give a poo poo.

Don't free the crucifix monster.