Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Elana usually summons either skeletons or Velstadt but she has a very low chance of summoning the pigs from Majula instead. He just mistyped Nashandra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There is not a single man in here that didn't get owned by those pigs. The best is when you have a weapon that doesn't have a swing that can physically connect with the little fuckers

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Alright so I'm doing better.. re-rolled into a Swordsman which I like I alot more. I beat the Giant guy but now I am kinda lost.. still using my newbie equipment because I dont know where to find other poo poo, and some dickhead keeps invading me at a place I think I should be going next.

Also, I freed some stone chick and opened a door and then like 10 zombies had their way with me. This game is pretty fun while being frustrating.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Starting gear is usually fine to carry you through these games as long as you keep upgrading. The blacksmith sells some alternative weapons and you'll pick up a lot more just by progressing through the game, but almost all of them are viable, if not ideal, if you invest in them.

What's the place you think you should be going?

I'm not surprised you're lost, this game doesn't always do a great job of pointing you in the right directions compared to the rest of the series. Basically there are four or five paths out of Majula. You've already discovered three (the Forest, Heide, and the door blocked by the petrified girl). You can make progress by fighting the other boss of the Forest, but you could also open up the fourth path if you're ready to take on Heide.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
The Citadel tower bonfire, go down the stairs then open a door with a soldiers key. Theres a dark path with skeletons and then it goes outside.. some dickhead has been camped out there for hours killing me whenever I go out there. :(

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Polish posted:

The Citadel tower bonfire, go down the stairs then open a door with a soldiers key. Theres a dark path with skeletons and then it goes outside.. some dickhead has been camped out there for hours killing me whenever I go out there. :(
Armorer Dennis? Yeah he is a dick. But it's a npc not a player. If its any consolation, that area has nothing really important in it, some items but nothing you need to progress. If you want a tip for killing him, he spends a lot of time with his shield up. This is actually a huge weakness. Learn how to use the shieldbreaker move (Analog forward+R1, your character does a backhand smack, it replaces the kick from DS1) and use it whenever his shield is up. It stuns him for a long time and opens him up for a riposte so you can do a lot of damage. You can also try and knock him off the narrow ledges in that area. It also helps a bit to summon the Ruined Aflis npc, near the start of the skeleton hallway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Polish posted:

If you're going where I think, it's a dead end, no special reason to clear it out right now. The invader is an NPC.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay cool, thanks. What is making the enemies no longer respawn? I am guessing its how many times I've killed them or something.. how am I supposed to farm these fat turtle dudes if they keep despawning!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Polish posted:

Okay cool, thanks. What is making the enemies no longer respawn? I am guessing its how many times I've killed them or something.. how am I supposed to farm these fat turtle dudes if they keep despawning!

Most enemies will despawn if killed 10-15 times (there's a precise number but I can never remember it). That's another quirk of this game relative to the rest of the series, the idea is precisely to keep you from farming. Generally you don't NEED to farm in these games but it is still annoying that they shut you down from doing so in this one. You can use a consumable that becomes available later on to bring them back, but they will be stronger every time you do so.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Or you could temporarily enter the Covenant of Champions, which nullifies "clearing out" enemies, but makes everything a little harder. That's a pro move though, I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, there's more Ironclads ahead of you.

Have you fought the Pursuer by the ballista yet? Beyond him is one of the earliest 100% defense shields.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don't give up, skeleton

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Bogart posted:

Or you could temporarily enter the Covenant of Champions, which nullifies "clearing out" enemies, but makes everything a little harder. That's a pro move though, I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, there's more Ironclads ahead of you.

Have you fought the Pursuer by the ballista yet? Beyond him is one of the earliest 100% defense shields.

Trying to fight him now while learning how to parry and guard break on KB+M.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Polish posted:

If you can't beat him (I couldn't) you can head back to Majula and take the stairs to the right of the building the talking cat is in to Heide's Tower of Flame zone.

edit: to face the Old Dragonrider. Which supposed to be the easiest D2 boss

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 2, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Polish posted:

You can't guard break him, and the hollow soldiers around him are a pretty bad enemy to try and learn breaking on because they kinda no-sell sometimes. Additionally, the Buckler is the best shield for learning to parry, iirc it has the most active parrying frames. (If you can lure the Pursuer to the other side of the arena, you can sprint over to a ballista and chew off about 40% of his health in one shot if the ballista shots land.)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay I beat the Persuer in a drunken rage last night and then beat the Dragonrider. I think I am getting better!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So I remember with demon souls and dark souls there was stuff that didn't get discovered for years. I appreciate this is mostly due to console only releases, but have there been any similar revelations for ds2 now it's super old?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

!Klams posted:

So I remember with demon souls and dark souls there was stuff that didn't get discovered for years. I appreciate this is mostly due to console only releases, but have there been any similar revelations for ds2 now it's super old?

Yes, turns out GAVLAN WHEEL is actually the Fair Lady

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It was recently discovered that Dark souls 2 Is the best of the 3 souls games. This actually wasn't confirmed till after the release of 3, so several years.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Work Friend Keven posted:

It was recently discovered that Dark souls 2 Is the best of the 3 souls games.

I find that hard to believe considering that game is ds3

tho ds2 is underrated and its hate is undeserved

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I got invaded for the first time while farming the Heide's Tower of Flame. I was bit afraid I was going to get rolled over by some high level player, but I blasted the invader with 3 Great Soul Arrows and finished them with a heavy and then quick swing from the Fire Longsword without taking a hit.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 3, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's what's good about soul memory. Twinking is much harder.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Elana usually summons either skeletons or Velstadt but she has a very low chance of summoning the pigs from Majula instead. He just mistyped Nashandra.

Yeah my bad.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There is not a single man in here that didn't get owned by those pigs. The best is when you have a weapon that doesn't have a swing that can physically connect with the little fuckers

I cursed loudly at those pigs back in DS2 vanilla. Before I learned about AGI and when I was first trying to learn the new attack animations with a polearm or something :argh:

LordAbaddon posted:

tho ds2 is underrated and its hate is undeserved

I have the most co-op time in DS2 by miles. I still dislike the level design, but something about it has a simple pick-up and co-op vibe that keeps me returning.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dark souls 3 not having a small soap stone equivalent is the thing that stopped me and my buddies playthough of it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I cannot beat these 3 sentinels no matter how much whiskey I drink. Also, I am not sure if I am putting my stats in correctly or what.. So I am dual wielding a hand axe and a fire long sword. Can all weapons be made viable or are there better base weapons to start with? I am using Alvas armor which seems to be pretty nice.. should I just upgrade the poo poo out of that?

I would like to try a spear but I dunno if I should just go with a halberd or a winged spear.. or at this point will changing up weapons really handicap me? I am having a blast but trying to find out some information on this can be challenging.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's all about divide and conquer. When you enter the arena, you have about half a minute uninterrupted time with the Sentinel on the raised platform with it. Use that time to rush it down as quick as possible. Then, you can bait another sentinel up, whack on it for a bit, them bail down when the last sentinel shows up. The summon in the jail cell, Pilgrim Bellclaire, is very useful for their NPC-health and beefy spells. If nothing else, they can distract a sentinel when you're down to two.

Every weapon is viable. However, the sentinels -- and indeed many enemies -- are vulnerable to strike damage, provided by blunt weapons like the mace or club. Maybe try one of those, see if you like it.

There are infinite respecs available. Halberds are good, but the long sword and handaxs can get you through the game no problem. Just as long as you like the move set, it's good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Polish posted:

I cannot beat these 3 sentinels no matter how much whiskey I drink. Also, I am not sure if I am putting my stats in correctly or what.. So I am dual wielding a hand axe and a fire long sword. Can all weapons be made viable or are there better base weapons to start with? I am using Alvas armor which seems to be pretty nice.. should I just upgrade the poo poo out of that?

I would like to try a spear but I dunno if I should just go with a halberd or a winged spear.. or at this point will changing up weapons really handicap me? I am having a blast but trying to find out some information on this can be challenging.

The Ruin Sentinels are an honestly pretty brutal encounter for first time players, and it's perfectly okay to give up on them and come back later when you're statistically stronger.

All weapons can be made viable, though certain weapons are generically stronger than others. Mace weapons are a solid weapon to have all throughout the game, and you can get a good one from a semi-hidden character in Lost Bastille. This is because they deal bludgeoning/blunt damage, which is good against armored enemies (of which this game has many). While it's fine to change up weapons, keep in mind that upgrade materials early on are somewhat limited and require farming for souls if you want to upgrade a lot of different weapons, so trying out different weapons mostly depends on how much time you want to spend farming for those materials. For what it's worth, I think that the plain ol' Spear that you can buy from Leningrast is actually a great weapon and can easily carry you through the game, as it has both a strong poke attack and a good sweep attack for dealing with groups.

Stat-wise, the most important thing is to raise your ADP up to the point where the AGL (Agility) stat is 99. AGL is a derived stat from ADP and ATN, and determines how many invincibility frames your dodge has. This is critical, as having too few means that it's really easy for enemies to clip you on the end of their swings. The next most important thing is to have the stats needed to wield your weapon. After that, I would actually recommend investing points into END and VIG until they're both around 20, as this will give you both more Stamina to do attacks/dodge roll with as well as a healthy buffer of HP to avoid getting instantly killed. After this point, you want to invest your stat points into whatever your weapon scales best with. You can see their (rough) scaling at the bottom of the weapon equip screen, indicated by a letter, with E being the worst scaling, A being the second best scaling, and S being the best scaling.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
(And scaling being on a hidden scale within the letters so all A's aren't considered equal, but you don't need to know that yet.)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Bogart posted:

It's all about divide and conquer. When you enter the arena, you have about half a minute uninterrupted time with the Sentinel on the raised platform with it. Use that time to rush it down as quick as possible. Then, you can bait another sentinel up, whack on it for a bit, them bail down when the last sentinel shows up. The summon in the jail cell, Pilgrim Bellclaire, is very useful for their NPC-health and beefy spells. If nothing else, they can distract a sentinel when you're down to two.

Every weapon is viable. However, the sentinels -- and indeed many enemies -- are vulnerable to strike damage, provided by blunt weapons like the mace or club. Maybe try one of those, see if you like it.

There are infinite respecs available. Halberds are good, but the long sword and handaxs can get you through the game no problem. Just as long as you like the move set, it's good.

Oh, I get HOW I am supposed to beat them.. I just am doing terrible. Have been raising my adaptability so the actual controls aren't a problem.. I think I just suck and keep getting stuck in bad timing events.

I keep trying with the NPC summon but I am burning through human effigies to do so.. currently I have 9. I just figured out this powerstance thing so that helps quite a bit.. but god drat I am struggling with these guys.

And yes, I got the hammer from the guy in the Bastielle. Not sure how many times I tried to get that mummy to roll the barrel down before just pushing it down and blowing it up myself..

e: Also, should I be using spells? I haven't been leveling any spells type stats because I am melee, but I do have a bunch of spells which could probably be handy.

Polish fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 5, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Spells aren't a bad idea to have and just about any character can benefit from a weapon buff at least, but you don't need them either.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You probably have a pyro glove and fireball, and if you have enough attunement for a slot, may as well use it, since the glove is weightless. Decent for plinking at the sentinels, as long as you don't distract yourself thinking about when to use it. Attack!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just picked this up from the Steam sale. Played through 1 and 3, never got around to 2 because I always heard split opinions on it.

Seems cool so far, got owned by fat butt guy in river.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Polish posted:

Oh, I get HOW I am supposed to beat them.. I just am doing terrible. Have been raising my adaptability so the actual controls aren't a problem.. I think I just suck and keep getting stuck in bad timing events.

I keep trying with the NPC summon but I am burning through human effigies to do so.. currently I have 9. I just figured out this powerstance thing so that helps quite a bit.. but god drat I am struggling with these guys.

And yes, I got the hammer from the guy in the Bastielle. Not sure how many times I tried to get that mummy to roll the barrel down before just pushing it down and blowing it up myself..

e: Also, should I be using spells? I haven't been leveling any spells type stats because I am melee, but I do have a bunch of spells which could probably be handy.

Yeah I ran my face against the Sentinels for like 4 hours before I finally got them. The good news is you learn an insane amount about combat while they constantly wreck you.

If you're still really struggling, I wouldn't bother running through all of your effigies to summon every time. Just fight them normally and learn, then when you start feeling confident that you could beat them then you summon again.

Good luck! :)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ahhh poo poo I attacked the cartographer guy, he was on the ground like a hollow, now he wants to kill me, what do I do?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Doesn't matter that much, just kill him. He isn't a critical NPC and doesn't sell anything. If you want acces to the house for which he has to key you can follow the following steps:
from the wiki: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Cale+the+Cartographer
If you kill Cale before acquiring the House Key you will need to wait for his gravestone to appear at the site where he was digging. At the grave you will have to pay 3500 souls to speak to his ghost and get yourself the key.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Samopsa posted:

Doesn't matter that much, just kill him. He isn't a critical NPC and doesn't sell anything. If you want acces to the house for which he has to key you can follow the following steps:
from the wiki: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Cale+the+Cartographer
If you kill Cale before acquiring the House Key you will need to wait for his gravestone to appear at the site where he was digging. At the grave you will have to pay 3500 souls to speak to his ghost and get yourself the key.

Okay, cool. Felt really bad, he was sad about his map :(

Another quick question, I always liked playing big tank guy in the other DS games, would I want to focus on strength, endurance and vitality?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Okay, cool. Felt really bad, he was sad about his map :(

Another quick question, I always liked playing big tank guy in the other DS games, would I want to focus on strength, endurance and vitality?

Vigor, endurance, vitality, weapon stat of choice, adaptability

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Specifically: if you start as a knight, which gets 4 starting attunement, you want to get 24 adaptability. This gets you 12 iframes.
The breakpoint for 13 iframes is at 32 adaptability, which is quite a bit more levels(8) for another frame compared to earlier breakpoints(which cost 1, 5, 5, and 4 respectively for knight) and not really worth it unless you are later on and don't really wanna spend levels on anything else.
You can find out breakpoints for different amounts of attunement with this.

Then you wanna find the armor you want and level vit until you have a bit less than 70% equip load while wearing it, leaving a bit of breathing room for swapping on different rings and perhaps slightly different weight shield/weapon.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 5, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Specifically: if you start as a knight, which gets 4 starting attunement, you want to get 24 adaptability. This gets you 12 iframes.
The breakpoint for 13 iframes is at 32 adaptability, which is quite a bit more levels(8) for another frame compared to earlier breakpoints(which cost 1, 5, 5, and 4 respectively for knight) and not really worth it unless you are later on and don't really wanna spend levels on anything else.
You can find out breakpoints for different amounts of attunement with this.

Then you wanna find the armor you want and level vit until you have a bit less than 70% equip load while wearing it, leaving a bit of breathing room for swapping on different rings and perhaps slightly different weight shield/weapon.

Is the iframes referring to rolling? And I need less than 70% to not fat roll?

Also yea I started with knight, but don't really understand the relationship between attunement and adaptability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is the iframes referring to rolling? And I need less than 70% to not fat roll?

Also yea I started with knight, but don't really understand the relationship between attunement and adaptability.

Yes iframes are rolling.

Attunement also levels up agi but more slowly