Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/881380856635326464
:eyesemoji:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wow that's a big discount

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Reminder that the Portland Trailblazers still have more salary than Cleveland or Golden State after all the signings

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Who was the guy that said Iggy was totally gonna get 20M+ AAV?

I think that was the expectation. I remember seeing it lots of places and from multiple people here. I was certainly expecting more than 16 and I'm not convinced he didn't give them a bit of a sweetheart deal like Livingston. PJ Tucker is getting 1 mil less per year than Livingston and more years.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Reminder that the Portland Trailblazers still have more salary than Cleveland or Golden State after all the signings

:psyduck:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Point God already paying dividends

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/881386273449009152

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Paul Allen is worth almost 3x Dan Gilbert and Joe Lacob combined. He can afford it!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Eat the rich

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Eltoasto posted:

Team value doesn't mean anything unless you sell the team. National TV and merch outside the arena is all split, so it comes down to tickets and local TV deals to finance deep luxury tax spending. I can't find any recent stuff about their TV deal. Also we now have the sponsor logos which they are saying is worth 15-20 mil a year, well that's what they are asking for.

It will be interesting to see the Warriors deal with a cap hell worse than what Miami dealt with.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

I think that was the expectation. I remember seeing it lots of places and from multiple people here. I was certainly expecting more than 16 and I'm not convinced he didn't give them a bit of a sweetheart deal like Livingston. PJ Tucker is getting 1 mil less per year than Livingston and more years.

Yeah sorry if that was confrontational. I just didn't feel like Iggy would command anywhere near Millsap.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Tae posted:

No they don't. KD is in the process of signing but technically isn't on the cap this very moment.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

this is weird and cool

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

DeimosRising posted:

I think Kings may have offered the most. But their number never leaked. Also it's the Kings, Andre ain't signing there

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress can GS sign Durant? CUrry 40, klay 18, iggy 16, draymond 16. Thats 90. Cap is 99 correct? Or is Curry deal like 34 this year and 46 last year or something? Either way, it doesnt seem like they should be able to do it. I need read the rules sometime when I get depressed.

Edit: forgot about Livingston's $8m. So they are at 92ish wo KD?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ButtWolf posted:

How the gently caress can GS sign Durant? CUrry 40, klay 18, iggy 16, draymond 16. Thats 90. Cap is 99 correct? Or is Curry deal like 34 this year and 46 last year or something? Either way, it doesnt seem like they should be able to do it. I need read the rules sometime when I get depressed.

They can go over the cap to re-sign Curry, so he doesn't affect their available cap space, I think if I understand the rules correctly

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing he gets the Non-Bird exception

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

They can go over the cap to re-sign Curry, so he doesn't affect their available cap space, I think if I understand the rules correctly

He still affects their cap. Exceptions still count against the cap, you can just go over the cap to sign them.

I'm pretty sure the Non-Bird exception is the only exception that KD would qualify for at this point.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can always go over the cap to re-sign your current players. For filling in, the Dubs have one exception at $5.2 million and everything else will have to be at minimum.

Durant and Iggy alone will put them somewhere around $10-15 million over the luxury tax threshold with only 10 players on the roster.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Its voodoo

Their cap numbers phase in and out of reality. It's the only explanation.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
One or two more years of warriors superteam. Then they'll just be Really Good

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
From ESPN

quote:

Golden State now has $130M in guaranteed contracts that include the three-year, $48M Andre Iguodala contract and $31.8M projected Kevin Durant salary. If the Warriors fill out their roster with minimum contracts their total salaries will be $137.5M with a luxury tax bill of $40.2M.

That's a pretty hefty price tag

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

rjmccall posted:

You can always go over the cap to re-sign your current players. For filling in, the Dubs have one exception at $5.2 million and everything else will have to be at minimum.

Durant and Iggy alone will put them somewhere around $10-15 million over the luxury tax threshold with only 10 players on the roster.

im almost sure this is wrong. you need some kind of bird rights to do this, no? the warriors dont have that for kd

the reason they can do it is cause they do have bird rights on curry and his cap hold is based on his previous contract(since he hasnt officially signed one yet i think) which was astonishingly low. they get right up at the cap with durant, then sign curry with bird rights and they are done. they should also have bird rights on iggy. some cap wizard check me imo

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Ammanas posted:

From ESPN

That's a pretty hefty price tag

That repeater tax in 3 years...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

quote:

NON-BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Its name is somewhat of a misnomer, since Non-Bird really is a form of Bird rights. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. They are veteran free agents who are neither Qualifying Veteran Free Agents nor Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents, and include the following:

Players who finished the season with a given team, who have played no more than one season without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent.
Players who were Early Bird free agents, but whose team renounced its right to use the Early Bird exception to re-sign the player.
Players who were to be Larry Bird or Early Bird free agents, were playing on one-year contracts, and were traded mid-season.
This exception allows a team to re-sign its own free agent to a salary starting at up to 120% of his salary in the previous season (not over the maximum salary, of course), 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount needed to tender a qualifying offer (if the player is a restricted free agent -- see question number 42), whichever is greater. Raises are limited to 5% of the salary in the first year of the contract, and contracts are limited to four seasons when this exception is used.

A partial season counts as a full season for the tenure calculation related to Bird rights. If a team signs another team's free agent to a Rest-of-Season contract mid-way through the season, then at the end of that season the player is a non-Bird free agent.

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value. See question number 26 for details.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

ButtWolf posted:

99 is the cap but you can go up to like 119 before you hit the luxury. You can always go above the 99 soft cap to re-sign your own players, which is all GSW is doing -- signing Iggy, Curry, Durant, Livingston etc etc.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 2, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
All the stuff about Bird vs. Early Bird vs. Non-Bird just limits how much you can offer them (in both annual money and years). You can always re-sign your existing players for at least a modest increase over what they're currently being paid; they just might not be willing to come back for that.

For example, Patrick McCaw has only been with the Warriors for one year, so if he were a free agent, we would only be able to offer him up to 120% of the greater of the league minimum and his current salary. If he were a free agent next year, after he has been here two whole years, we would be able to offer him up to the greater of the league average or 175% of his current salary. Two years from now — when he actually becomes a free agent — we can offer him a max.

Durant was on a near-max contract last year, so the distinctions are meaningless.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

honestly Bob Myers and co had the next 5 years already thought through back when they were courting KD in the Hamptons :shrug:

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 2, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Intruder posted:

Point God already paying dividends

I guess he learned he needed to do this poo poo from the lack of playoff success he had in Nola and la when he didn't.

AD needs to take note.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

the suns should do something good this offseason

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

rjmccall posted:

All the stuff about Bird vs. Early Bird vs. Non-Bird just limits how much you can offer them (in both annual money and years). You can always re-sign your existing players for at least a modest increase over what they're currently being paid; they just might not be willing to come back for that.

For example, Patrick McCaw has only been with the Warriors for one year, so if he were a free agent, we would only be able to offer him up to 120% of the greater of the league minimum and his current salary. If he were a free agent next year, after he has been here two whole years, we would be able to offer him up to the greater of the league average or 175% of his current salary. Two years from now — when he actually becomes a free agent — we can offer him a max.

Durant was on a near-max contract last year, so the distinctions are meaningless.

I guess this needs to be more thorough.

They could sign Durant for a non bird exception but that limits his raises. They're going to have Durant do one more year so they get bird rights and they can give him bigger raises.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The main reason GSW can do this is because Curry's cap hold is much smaller than the Super Mega Max he will sign after all the other pieces are in place.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
As someone who is not really in tune with the nuts and bolts of the NBA I want to ask a dumb question. Why does everyone in the media assume Lebron and every all star on the planet are going to the Lakers in 2018? I was under the impression that the Lakers had lost a lot of their luster due to front office mediocrity. Is it really all about the legacy factor or are they heading for a perfect storm of salary cap space and free agency? California has a massive amount of taxes and you still have to make it through the west and eventually the Warriors.

(Also I know Paul George made his intentions clear already but it doesn't explain everyone else.)

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I think if they can move Deng and maybe one other player, they would only have Ingram, Ball, and 1 or 2 other guys under contract if they don't keep Randle next year and can theoretically sign 3 (THREE) Max players next summer. I think...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So the order of contracts matter and nothing has been signed yet.

Ghost Dog posted:

the reason they can do it is cause they do have bird rights on curry and his cap hold is based on his previous contract(since he hasnt officially signed one yet i think) which was astonishingly low. they get right up at the cap with durant, then sign curry with bird rights and they are done. they should also have bird rights on iggy. some cap wizard check me imo

This is correct. They are keeping Curry's hold, Livingston's, and Iggy's. The sign Durant first with their cap space (he needs to take a small discount to fit, that is why he is the only one "sacrificing"), then everyone else can be signed using the cap space. They'll get everyone to agree to the deals in whatever order but when it gets reported to the league it'll matter in what order.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Do the Warriors have a single center on their roster?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Trast posted:

As someone who is not really in tune with the nuts and bolts of the NBA I want to ask a dumb question. Why does everyone in the media assume Lebron and every all star on the planet are going to the Lakers in 2018? I was under the impression that the Lakers had lost a lot of their luster due to front office mediocrity. Is it really all about the legacy factor or are they heading for a perfect storm of salary cap space and free agency? California has a massive amount of taxes and you still have to make it through the west and eventually the Warriors.

(Also I know Paul George made his intentions clear already but it doesn't explain everyone else.)

1. A large proportion of the media live in LA and think it's the bee's knees and can't imagine why anyone else wouldn't think so too.
2. Historically the Lakers have had a lot of success luring free agents there,
2.1 partially because some players think LA is the bee's knees
2.2 and partially because a ton of player agents live in LA and drive their clients to Los Angeles because that way they don't have to travel far too meet them and keep them happy

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

dokmo posted:

1. A large proportion of the media live in LA and think it's the bee's knees and can't imagine why anyone else wouldn't think so too.
2. Historically the Lakers have had a lot of success luring free agents there,
2.1 partially because some players think LA is the bee's knees
2.2 and partially because a ton of player agents live in LA and drive their clients to Los Angeles because that way they don't have to travel far too meet them and keep them happy
3. Lebron has a home in LA and didn't it just come out that he won't play for the Clippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers waived Stauskas

Source: A dream I had last night

• Locked thread