Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Beelerzebub posted:

Jesus. Jotaro's pants in Part 6 are ugly as gently caress.

(I dunno how spoiler-y this is, so I'm going on the safe side)

How. loving dare you

You attack peak DILF look and you will have me to contend with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah actually they will posted:

lol. Please post the faketaro pic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jolyne should wear her hair down in the back more. It's a good look.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah do it, Giorno sucks and King Crimson is nonsense

This guy is muda to me. he's yare yare dawa. nuts to him

love that finger. "huh? me no jotaro?"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Jolyne should wear her hair down in the back more. It's a good look.
No to this because she looks like Raditz or a Sonic gijinka in full shots

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the revelation Jotaro buys his outfit off the rack at old Navy like that and always has.....incredible

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's so good especially considering his DiU outfits. Also great is that he wears the same outfit so much and for so many years and also that this randomer too is presumably ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY EIGHT CENTIMETRES

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I just got thru rereading vento aureo, this time with daxing dan's translation and holy heck is it a lot better

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I'm glad I didn't read it before the good translation was done. Those of you who did, what are the dumbest mistakes in the old version? I already know about the Venice -> Vienna stuff. I'm baffled how someone can gently caress up that badly. There are panels showing the group moving from one Italian city to another. How does Vienna even enter the picture? :psyduck:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

yeah actually they will posted:

This guy is muda to me. he's yare yare dawa. nuts to him

I was joking if that wasn't clear. I like Gold Experience and don't think it was as bullshit as people think and King Crimson has a very angry man on his forehead.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Someone the pic of Polpo's speech in both versions

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Momomo posted:

I was joking if that wasn't clear. I like Gold Experience and don't think it was as bullshit as people think and King Crimson has a very angry man on his forehead.

Love that lil angry guy.

Dragonwagon posted:

I'm glad I didn't read it before the good translation was done. Those of you who did, what are the dumbest mistakes in the old version? I already know about the Venice -> Vienna stuff. I'm baffled how someone can gently caress up that badly. There are panels showing the group moving from one Italian city to another. How does Vienna even enter the picture? :psyduck:

The dumbest one I can think of is when the translators took the time to write up an explanation of how KC worked that didn't even make that much sense and, uh, really showed how bad the translation actually was since a good one wouldn't need you to do that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh yeah there were at least three, maybe four different .png files throughout the old translation of different translators trying to explain King Crimson, all of them different and also wrong as far as I know

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's a reason "King Crimson just works" is a meme.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Is King Crimson's power a thing in the Japanese fandom? It doesn't seem terribly confusing so I'm not sure why it was even an issue in English to begin with.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

Is King Crimson's power a thing in the Japanese fandom? It doesn't seem terribly confusing so I'm not sure why it was even an issue in English to begin with.

It's confusing because the extent to which Diavolo interacts with things during the skipped time seems inconsistent. The bad translation doesn't help, of course, nor does the bit where Bruno sees himself (maybe Diavolo was lending him Epitaph?). Though D4C might actually be worse (who shot Johnny?).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
As far as I know, not at all. The English and Japanese speaking fandoms of JoJo have taken completely different things from it in terms of injokes. Things like KONO DIO DA or Awaken My Masters didn't hit the Japanese community, largely because the anime was such a big entry point for Western fans whereas JoJo has been it's own juggernaut for decades. I've heard that JoJo Anime Reaction Videos from Westerners are big over there though, they enjoy seeing other people react to things they've had knowledge of for years.

e: this is complete rumor, I have no real confirmation of this true, but I read it a while ago: Apparently the scene in Part 3 where Polnareff is recounting experiencing The World on the staircase is a bit of a repeated joke? Like something about the way Araki wrote that dialogue is funny in Japanese? No idea if it's even true and I doubt any of us can think of any real specific line Polnareff said during that scene, but that's the one example I've heard about their version of a King Crimson Just Works, and it may not even be true

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 2, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

It's confusing because the extent to which Diavolo interacts with things during the skipped time seems inconsistent. The bad translation doesn't help, of course, nor does the bit where Bruno sees himself (maybe Diavolo was lending him Epitaph?). Though D4C might actually be worse (who shot Johnny?).

I guess that's fair, but you'd figure the guys "translating" part 5 would be familiar with how Araki writes this stuff (off the top of his head) so that stuff is bound to be inconsistent. Dio's stand power was also used in ways that didn't make a whole lot of sense in hindsight too (unless you take those silly animations as canon I guess).

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Momomo posted:

I guess that's fair, but you'd figure the guys "translating" part 5 would be familiar with how Araki writes this stuff (off the top of his head) so that stuff is bound to be inconsistent. Dio's stand power was also used in ways that didn't make a whole lot of sense in hindsight too (unless you take those silly animations as canon I guess).

You'd also figure they'd know Japanese, but here we are.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Momomo posted:

A number of parts of the Part Five Bad Translation are entirely made up

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Daxing Dan posted:

We still have a chapter or two until that happens. If you're that curious to find out what he's saying, I already had this lying around so here you go.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Pericolo kicked rear end. Pesci kicked rear end. Doppio kicked rear end.

Part 5 had some really great villains.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reading and understanding the D4C fight made my brain stronger and smoothed out several wrinkles

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

frank.club posted:

Reading and understanding the D4C fight made my brain stronger and smoothed out several wrinkles

Call Medical Mechanica. They know about smoothing out wrinkles.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

frank.club posted:

But your brain needs wrinkles...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

SDC dub is starting on Toonami on July 29.

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/1775482119409294/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or you can watch on Crunchyroll [right now] for {free} and with actual good voice acting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Judging by part one and two disagree

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Did anyone post the part 5 classic yet

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:thunk:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
in my one year of learing Japanese, I can instantly make out Sistine and Gogh/Gauguins in the original Japanese and could probably get a rough translation of that sentence if you gave me like 20 minutes

hey original part 5 team.......you guys okay?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Or you can watch on Crunchyroll [right now] for {free} and with actual good voice acting.

It's still good to see JoJo get pushed in America, and now the filthy dub-only PEASANTS can know the good word, too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

if you didn't hear about it within milliseconds after I did, you are unwelcome in this fandom.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Moltrey posted:

in my one year of learing Japanese, I can instantly make out Sistine and Gogh/Gauguins in the original Japanese and could probably get a rough translation of that sentence if you gave me like 20 minutes

Didn't they push out like several volumes a week or something crazy like that? It's kinda wild that at the time the only one willing to translate JoJo was some enthusiastic but less than well read in Japanese maniac

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i like english dubs

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Nina posted:

Did anyone post the part 5 classic yet

Haha, drat. I'm starting to think they just couldn't recognize proper nouns.

Also, the way that panel's cut off makes Gio's hair look like rampaging pubes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kurtofan posted:

i like english dubs

Me too

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

I like some of them. JoJo's isn't one of them.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

It gives me the impression that they didn't bother to learn any Katakana at all, or even look it up as needed. People that self-teach themselves Japanese often decide that they'll only study "the most common form" instead of all 3 types of characters.

But they must've been able to read it for Stand names, so???

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Beelerzebub posted:

I like some of them. JoJo's isn't one of them.

Um dub Joseph makes part 2