Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

chutche2 posted:

Is it weird that I really like metal miniatures?

Like I've been buying some 2nd and 3rd edition metal sculpts of stuff I need like apothecaries and chaplains just because I love metal minis. 40k has better sculpts than warmachine by far, but I love that I can easily build all-metal forces out of my warmachine collection. Some of my basic infantry and warjacks are plastic now, but a lot of poo poo is still metal.

My friends think that this is dumb.

I went through my metal phase and bought into a sisters of battle army but it's at that point you realise that lugging literally kilogrammes around every battle is a chore. I also got big into converting an customising for which metal doesn't even come close.

Add the paint chipping and I've pretty much forsaken metal forever. Still love some metal models as display pieces but for gaming, gently caress that poo poo forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I just got my hands on the Nurgle half of the new starter, anyone out there want to trade it for the Primaris one?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Miles O'Brian posted:

Add the paint chipping and I've pretty much forsaken metal forever. Still love some metal models as display pieces but for gaming, gently caress that poo poo forever

Testors Dullcote protects from chipping like you wouldn't believe.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Did Games Workshop ever comment on the point discrepancies between the Dark Imperium pamphlet and the Imperium and Chaos indices? It seems so weird to me that the point values would be so divergent between the two.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I played your '8th' edition and had.. fun?! What is this, GW?

Poxwalker rule supreme (with a comfy typhus for support).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I played my first game of 8th today, 60 points of Death Guard vs 60 points of Salamanders. It was an awful lot of fun. The game plays so much better, and it feels like there is an awful lot more happening. Guys were dying left and right. It's 40k but without the tedious fiddly minutiae.

Best moment for me was Typhus wiping out a tactical squad with the Destroyer Hive.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Primaris marines look great with beaky helmets. Shaved off the purity seals and scopes too.

Beefy!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nurgle lord? Can kill 9 termagaunts a turn. Tervigon? Can bring back 10 a turn.

Get hosed.

That was my first game of 8th edition.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

LingcodKilla posted:

Primaris marines look great with beaky helmets. Shaved off the purity seals and scopes too.

Beefy!

Now that you mention it, it's a bit weird that they have scopes if they have autosenses. Maybe they are playing into the tendency for marines to remove their helms all the time to look suitably masculine.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

GreenMarine posted:

Now that you mention it, it's a bit weird that they have scopes if they have autosenses. Maybe they are playing into the tendency for marines to remove their helms all the time to look suitably masculine.

Duh. I cut off the helmet on the belt and mounted an auspex then put a beaky helmet on the sarg too. YOU DONT TAKE YOUR ARMOR OFF ON THE BATTLEFIELD SERGEANT TUBEBABY!!!!!

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
First poxwalker done. Think I'll do the same scheme for the rest. Feels good to be painting again, been a while.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I had my first game of 8th earlier today (well, yesterday technically) and it was pretty drat good. I took 52 PL of SM up against 52 of Dark Angels. I'm actually a little glad that he didn't bring the Necrons that I thought he was bringing, because I wasn't looking forward to an ever-regenerating bunch of 20-man Warrior blobs. We did the basic Only War match and ended up with every objective generating points every turn for both players, which gave us an insanely high count for VP (19-16 in my favor).

I took 2 Tac Squads in Rhinos (combimelta/flamer/multimelta and combimelta/meltagun/multimelta), a Bike Squad (combimelta, grav-gun, flamer, and multimelta Attack Bike), a thunder hammer and storm shield bike Captain, a Devastator squad with 4 lascannons, and an Apothecary.

He took a Deathwing Terminator squad, a Ravenwing Bike squad, some greenwing shmucks, an Interrogator Chaplain, a Librarian, and a Venerable Dreadnought. I don't remember most of what they had except there was a lot of plasma and the Deathwing had an assault cannon. The Chaplain had a plasma pistol, which I only really remember because he blew himself up in supercharged overwatch against my Captain like a big dumb rear end in a top hat.

When we started I had some notions of taking notes but by turn 3 we had really gotten into it and had gathered a couple of onlookers, so I stopped. It was mostly just me writing down how the Ravenwing were "a bunch of bitches" anyway so it's probably better that I don't provide a full batrep. Here's what stood out:
  • Deep Strike is pretty great now. The Deathwing popped in on turn 1 next to my Devs and ate their lunch real hard, whereas before he might have hesitated to drop the Deathwing so close to the table edge.

• While Bikes cost a lot, they're completely loving insane. Rolling up with 4 Bikes and dropping 22 bolter shots on top of the special weapons was completely ridiculous. Bumping them up to 2 Wounds also made a huge difference, as both of our Bike units just held on forever.

• Shooting pistols in close combat is amazing. We both forgot that we could do it for about a round and then it was like a revelation. But also gently caress him for being real hot on the dice in this regard.

• Dark Angels Librarians are basically a no man's land of mortal wounds - Smite on top of Mind Worm was pretty loving gross. Park one of those on an objective with an Intercessor squad screening for him and you'll have a real tough time digging him out.

• Command Points and Stratagems are so loving vital. Even just the basic three stratagems can make a huge difference. At one point his Ven Dread charged my Captain and I thought it was going to all be over very soon for the Captain, but I spent 2 CP on Counter-Offensive after he resolved his first charging unit's attacks elsewhere and managed to beat the absolute hell out of the Dread before it got in its attacks.

• Vehicles feel much tankier now than before. I won this game because I sat two Rhinos down next to two objectives and kept them there the whole game.

• It feels so good not to have to care about so much of the bloat of previous editions. Challenges, initiative order, the test at the end of an assault that never really mattered for most units anyways, vehicle facing, armor values, the wound table... it really did make the game feel like it went a lot more smoothly.

• Don't loving trust Battlescribe, if that ever really needed to be said. Definitely double-check against the index, because there were two separate occasions where their statlines and rule summaries were flat out wrong.
All in all, even with the first game taking longer than normal since it was both our first times, it was generally agreed to be quite good. It did kind of feel weird, though - it was all close enough to what we knew that we weren't thrown horribly, but it was also different enough that we were a little off-guard. Like going to the house you grew up in only to find that your parents had rearranged some of the furniture - you know the general layout but you might trip on something every now and then.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
minor thing but apparently the digital version of the index fixed the stormtalon's strafing run typo.

And yeah, battlescribe is a bit weird I've really only ever used it for the points costs and never really trusted the list validation thing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PantsOptional posted:

• Dark Angels Librarians are basically a no man's land of mortal wounds - Smite on top of Mind Worm was pretty loving gross. Park one of those on an objective with an Intercessor squad screening for him and you'll have a real tough time digging him out.

I can't wait to try a unit of 4 zoanthropes in a pod because of this. An average of 4 mortal wounds is pretty good, and the new psyker rules remove a lot of failure conditions that zoanthropes previously had.

EDIT: Plus a 3+ invul and being able to smite into combat/escape combat and smite makes them a lot harder to take out.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 2, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I forgot to mention my other favourite thing from my game, Typhus nuking half his own wounds with chain Perils rolls.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

GreenMarine posted:

Optical zoom.
Also firing their gun over and around cover/corners.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Got another game of 8th edition in today.

1. Orks are good, and they murder poo poo in close combat (which happens on T2 with regularity).
2. Orks have a problem dealing with flyers.

Flyers are definitely a challenge. I think Stormboyz might be helpful.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Mugaaz posted:

First poxwalker done. Think I'll do the same scheme for the rest. Feels good to be painting again, been a while.

I love it. I like the necrotic look of his abdomen, and the buboes. If you had told me you were going to stripe the the tentacles I woul d not have thought it would look as good as it does! The use of orange in both his trousers and his burst pustules is the only thing I might reconsider

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as someone who leaned really heavily on a pair of Stormtalons against an Ork army, melee just doesn't cut it against flyers. My opponent was able to get a good charge off with his Stormboyz but only knocked a few wounds off my flyer which proceeded to fall back and shoot him to pieces from a safe distance.

If I were a good player he never would have got that charge off at all, and there's zero chance that the Stormboyz would have been able to catch my flyers after the first assault. The difference in movement capability is just too much.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

JackMack posted:

I love it. I like the necrotic look of his abdomen, and the buboes. If you had told me you were going to stripe the the tentacles I woul d not have thought it would look as good as it does! The use of orange in both his trousers and his burst pustules is the only thing I might reconsider

It was supposed to be blood in the burst pustules. Yeah that part didnt really come out to well, not sure what else to try with the burst pustules, any ideas?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

It physically hurts me to read the new codexes. Who the hell thought that organizing entries by battlefield role was bullshit and stuff should just get willy-nilly.

Yeah it's especially painful with Marines which have so many options in every slot. A very tiresome exercise.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Nice job dude. These look awesome.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying painting the Fists again - even at the end of the time I was playing before, I hadn't painted any Fists for a while because I was messing around with other armies, and it's been satisfying to come back and do some more. The Primaris models are great, too.

The Bee posted:

Did Games Workshop ever comment on the point discrepancies between the Dark Imperium pamphlet and the Imperium and Chaos indices? It seems so weird to me that the point values would be so divergent between the two.

I doubt they ever imagined anyone but children (who wouldn't care) would ever use the DI points for long

Mugaaz posted:

This is great. Even though I don't really have an actual Chaos army I'm looking forward to painting the Nurgle half of the DI box.

PantsOptional posted:

[*]Command Points and Stratagems are so loving vital. Even just the basic three stratagems can make a huge difference. At one point his Ven Dread charged my Captain and I thought it was going to all be over very soon for the Captain, but I spent 2 CP on Counter-Offensive after he resolved his first charging unit's attacks elsewhere and managed to beat the absolute hell out of the Dread before it got in its attacks.

I overlooked Counter-offensive when I first looked at Strategems, but my opponent reminded me it existed before our game the other night and then later on he charged Ghaz into an Ironclad and some Meganobz into some Intercessors. As soon as he started by resolving the Meganobz I was like I KNOW WHAT I'M GONNA DO. The Ironclad had insane luck against Ghaz anyway, dropping 4 of his wounds with heavy flamer overwatch, and then counter-offensived him to death with a chainfist.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 2, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Taking this tomorrow to get pickup games at the new place. Plus taking some extra squads and vehicles to swap stuff out for different game sizes. Decided to leave the forgeworld stuff at home for now, and the stormraven still needs some work done to it.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [113 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [29 PL, 505pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 97pts]: Relic blade, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
. . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
. . 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. . Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 164pts]
. . 7x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 179pts]
. . 7x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [6 PL, 103pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [3 PL, 40pts]: Plasma pistol, Power axe

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 63pts]
. . 6x Guardsman
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Autocannon
. . Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [26 PL, 482pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Boltgun

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 167pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Multi-melta

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 243pts]: Teleport Homer
. . Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter
. . Terminator Sergeant: Power sword, Storm bolter
. . Terminator w/Heavy Weapon: Assault cannon, Power fist

++ Vanguard Detachment (Imperium - Officio Assassinorum) [5 PL, 90pts] ++

+ Elites +

Vindicare Assassin [5 PL, 90pts]

++ Vanguard Detachment (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [11 PL, 182pts] ++

+ Elites +

Command Squad [3 PL, 44pts]
. . Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Special Weapons Squad [3 PL, 43pts]: 3x Guardsman
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Demo Charge

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [5 PL, 95pts]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser, Storm Bolter

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [22 PL, 419pts] ++

+ HQ +

Techmarine [5 PL, 83pts]: Boltgun, Conversion beamer, Power axe

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 174pts]: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon, Two Heavy Bolters

Vindicator [8 PL, 162pts]: Storm bolter

++ Spearhead Detachment (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [14 PL, 219pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 27pts]
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [11 PL, 192pts]
. . Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Storm Bolter

Created with BattleScribe

Plan is, have the terminators drop on a flank and shoot it up, then teleport back to my deployment area and rendezvous with my chaplain to form a counter-charge force. Rerolling hits on power fists is good.

I know the vindicator is kinda poo poo but I want to give it another chance. It's T8 which is nice. And it can gently caress up T5 things decently.

I know I don't have enough AT but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. There's enough multiple damage weapons that I might be able to manage something.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 2, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Time to spray tomorrow!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mugaaz posted:

Love the colors. Bright orange pants look great, and those green bumps are perfect.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Mugaaz posted:

It was supposed to be blood in the burst pustules. Yeah that part didnt really come out to well, not sure what else to try with the burst pustules, any ideas?

I have not painted burst pustules but from my experience when you burst an abscess you get a rush of pus, which in your guys would be a slightly more yellowish green you use and then blood follows once the pus is gone. So a large dribble of pus with a smaller dribble of blood/blood pus mix.

Caveat that simply putting a bit of red over the orange to make it blood might be quicker and less fiddly... I am a laboriously slow painter

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I had somehow completely failed to notice bikers were 2 wounds and had rapid fire 2 on there bike bolters now. Guess I'm going to have to finish painting that bike squad that's been sitting half-painted in a box for about 2 years.

A question. So can they fire their bike bolters and their bolt pistols/special weapons at the same time?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

[*]While Bikes cost a lot, they're completely loving insane. Rolling up with 4 Bikes and dropping 22 bolter shots on top of the special weapons was completely ridiculous. Bumping them up to 2 Wounds also made a huge difference, as both of our Bike units just held on forever.
22 shots? 4x4=16... :confused: Where did the other 6 shots come from?

Deptfordx posted:

I had somehow completely failed to notice bikers were 2 wounds and had rapid fire 2 on there bike bolters now. Guess I'm going to have to finish painting that bike squad that's been sitting half-painted in a box for about 2 years.

A question. So can they fire their bike bolters and their bolt pistols/special weapons at the same time?
Pistols come with a little caveat. A model can either fire all of its pistols OR all of its other weapons. This stops things like tactical marines from getting 3 shots at 12". So no, a biker couldn't fire their bike's bolters and their pistol at the same time. However, a biker armed with a special weapon can fire that and their bike's bolters. I figure bikers will always be given chainswords instead of pistols.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Stormboyz are a steal. They are stupidly quick and I am thinking about replacing Boyz with them. Only problem is I need more models and they are expensive.

Bringing this back to template/blast weapons, it would help if there was another d6 at half-strength/S4. It would help with hordes and prevent the guns becoming ridiculous AV platforms.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Shooting models have three options now:

1. Fire everything that isn't a pistol or grenade
2. Fire all pistols
3. One model may throw a grenade

So if you have a Biker with a Plasma Gun, he can fire the bike bolters and the plasma. But a biker couldn't fire the bolters and his pistol.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

LingcodKilla posted:

Duh. I cut off the helmet on the belt and mounted an auspex then put a beaky helmet on the sarg too. YOU DONT TAKE YOUR ARMOR OFF ON THE BATTLEFIELD SERGEANT TUBEBABY!!!!!

One of the only good bits in Graham Mcneil's Thousand Sons book is of a guy derisively headshotting a bunch of spacewolves who have taken their helmets off.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

So if you have a Biker with a Plasma Gun, he can fire the bike bolters and the plasma.

I just checked and it seems I have two bikers with Plasma Guns. :neckbeard:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raphus C posted:

Stormboyz are a steal. They are stupidly quick and I am thinking about replacing Boyz with them. Only problem is I need more models and they are expensive.

Yeah it's a challenge. Personally I think that the only reason to have regular Boyz is because you're filling out a troop slot. My army has a unit of 30 Shoota Boyz that I keep around because they're painted, but I wonder if I really need them versus something that's more mobile.

Pendent posted:

Speaking as someone who leaned really heavily on a pair of Stormtalons against an Ork army, melee just doesn't cut it against flyers. My opponent was able to get a good charge off with his Stormboyz but only knocked a few wounds off my flyer which proceeded to fall back and shoot him to pieces from a safe distance.

If I were a good player he never would have got that charge off at all, and there's zero chance that the Stormboyz would have been able to catch my flyers after the first assault. The difference in movement capability is just too much.

Good information. How many Stormboyz did he have? Do you think that there is anything viable for Ork players who want to take on flyers? Dakkajets came to mind but 18 S6 shots hitting on a 5+ is only 2 wounds. Maybe defenses?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Safety Factor posted:

22 shots? 4x4=16... :confused: Where did the other 6 shots come from?

Sloppy editing at 1 am on my part. It should have read as five bikes since the Captain also rolled up, and the Sergeant fired his combimelta as well.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Testors Dullcote protects from chipping like you wouldn't believe.

I second this. My sisters have never chipped and I have spazy hands like you wouldn't believe.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Where does everyone go for scenery? I'm looking for more things like the SW:A mechanical stuff and city/industrial and less of the Gothic look.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Where does everyone go for scenery? I'm looking for more things like the SW:A mechanical stuff and city/industrial and less of the Gothic look.

Hex Platformer is cheap and fun.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

LordAba posted:

Nurgle lord? Can kill 9 termagaunts a turn. Tervigon? Can bring back 10 a turn.

Get hosed.

That was my first game of 8th edition.

Falling back: not just for shooty armies

Felime fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 2, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think so too. I think they're super underrated right now. Same power points as Boyz (or only 2 more point per model) for 8" movement base and the ability to Waaagh! on their own even without a nearby Warboss is so baller. Plus they ignore all models and terrain when moving, and can assault flying units.

Even a fully loaded Dakkajet firing all its shots at a Stormtalon only inflicts 0.98 wounds/turn...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Mugaaz posted:

Really like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's a challenge. Personally I think that the only reason to have regular Boyz is because you're filling out a troop slot. My army has a unit of 30 Shoota Boyz that I keep around because they're painted, but I wonder if I really need them versus something that's more mobile.

Good information. How many Stormboyz did he have? Do you think that there is anything viable for Ork players who want to take on flyers? Dakkajets came to mind but 18 S6 shots hitting on a 5+ is only 2 wounds. Maybe defenses?

Let me preface this by saying I don't know the Ork codex as well as I probably need to given that they seem like a perfectly viable army these days. I also had some issues during this particular game with my opponent not being clear with me on how things were armed or even what he took- on turn three he deepstruck a unit of Kommandos or something that I wasn't even aware were a part of his list since they were sitting with the rest of his models on a completely different table. I digress.

The Stormboyz looked like they were 10-15 models. The issue from what I remember was that he only had a single power klaw in the entire group, which fortunately managed to miss every attack he made with it. I'm not sure if he could have taken more in the squad or not, but given how the rest of his list looked I feel like if he could have he would. Buying a vehicle, even a relatively fragile one like a Stormtalon, under a simple volume of attacks seems like a losing proposition.

The single thing I was most afraid of killing my fliers all game was a large squad of lootas with some sort of weapon that got d3 shots but did 2 damage per. They were able to put out a pretty decent weight of fire and I think if he'd focused them on one of the Stormtalons I may have had issues.