Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Why the gently caress reduce it? Just let them steadily leech resource while alive so I don't have to keep spamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm on live chat trying to get a refund for the Necromancer, I hate it so much.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I'm on live chat trying to get a refund for the Necromancer, I hate it so much.

Lol

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I know I'm the worst, but I just want my massive skeleton army, and for Skeleton mage to be permanent, and honestly everything I liked about the necromancer i can find in the WD who is the base part of the game. Looks like they just gave me my refund though which is nice. I'll buy it again if they "fix" what I hate about the necromancer, but honestly I'm not going to stress out about it. It's a DLC I don't like not the end of the world.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm having a good time just exploding the poo poo out of mobs with corpse explosion. Get one kill with bone spear, then clear a room with chain reaction corpses.

The skeleton king crypts were great for this. It sucks when you've got a single tough enemy with no ads, though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm not sure how anyone could've realistically expected the necromancer to run around with the better part of two dozen minions at all times. There's no way that having God knows how many skeletons active at the same time wouldn't be a complete clusterfuck in a game that already gets pretty busy visually in combat, too much so at times. At least the WD's fetishes are comparatively tiny.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah I know I'm the worst, but I just want my massive skeleton army, and for Skeleton mage to be permanent

Make sure to let them know and note this so they can pass along the reasons to Travis "hate permanent pets" Day.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
While I agree that the game could probably lose like 60% of the particle effects and still be a little busy, I've gotten used to it and kind of like it now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MMAgCh posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could've realistically expected the necromancer to run around with the better part of two dozen minions at all times. There's no way that having God knows how many skeletons active at the same time wouldn't be a complete clusterfuck in a game that already gets pretty busy visually in combat, too much so at times. At least the WD's fetishes are comparatively tiny.

I mean I'd rather have 2 skeletons, 1 skeleton mage, 1 golem that are all buff af, then 6 weak as hell skeletons, and re-skinned DoT spells.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

DrSeRRoD posted:

Make sure to let them know and note this so they can pass along the reasons to Travis "hate permanent pets" Day.

Pets are bad. I liked necro too but I never played zookeeper.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I don't think people want them to have a bunch more minions, I think they just wanted the minions that they did get to not have a 6 second duration. I'm ok with the 28 pets (or 18 because revive got nerfed so hard it's terrible), but not if I have to keep summoning them constantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It fills me with life to know that we got necro finally and everyone hates the class after years of begging for it. I told everyone this would be a stupid idea and sure enough.

p.s. I actually like the class as it is right now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

NO ONE HAS POSTED WHEN THE NEXT SEASON IS ON THIS PAGE gently caress HOW WILL WE SURVIVE.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Suspicious posted:

Pets are bad.

Factually incorrect. Pets are awesome if done right.

Each pet is basically a snare/dot combo. With proper balancing and coloring (the skeles don't need to be BRIGHT HEY LOOK AT ME WHITE like they kinda are now), there's no reason in the world you couldn't have a perfectly fun, balanced and viable 30-perma-skeleton-army Necro with amplify damage, corpse explosion, a spender and a generator as complimentary abilities.

Not sure why there are so many people actively against the class playing like that.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

It fills me with life to know that we got necro finally and everyone hates the class after years of begging for it. I told everyone this would be a stupid idea and sure enough.

Don't get me wrong, I like the class and the skeletons finally and corpse mechanics. Inarius is a lot of fun and feels like firebat witchdoctor that just never stops moving. I do think some tweaks are still needed for the others, like skeletal mage duration, some kind of damage reduction on trag, and more skills for pestilence or make the spear empower and shoot 10 at a time or something to make it worth it. All of the sets have the potential to play differently and I look forward to trying them when they're a bit more refined. The passives could also be reworked to give some better pet and corpse options. I wonder what Inarius will become once Mirinae's interaction is nerfed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Path of Exile skeletons have a 20 second cool down, and they feel much better.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So who did they hire from marvel heroes that convinced them to start charging for charcters and stash tabs

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

This is why I both do, and do not, want Druid to be a thing in d3.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

I said come in! posted:

It's just a couple of sets, the class itself is fine.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

GreatGreen posted:

Factually incorrect. Pets are awesome if done right.

Each pet is basically a snare/dot combo. With proper balancing and coloring (the skeles don't need to be BRIGHT HEY LOOK AT ME WHITE like they kinda are now), there's no reason in the world you couldn't have a perfectly fun, balanced and viable 30-perma-skeleton-army Necro with amplify damage, corpse explosion, a spender and a generator as complimentary abilities.

Not sure why there are so many people actively against the class playing like that.

What you want is pretty much a screen saver. Dungeon Siege 1 is like that. You can beat it with a 3 digit amount of clicks.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
They need to fix pets and sets but other than those two considerable problems the class is pretty good. So far the legendaries are way better than I expected from the prerelease list I saw and they got corpse explosion right.

I wish corpses weren't stupid looking but I still can't believe they bothered implementing them at all so I'll take it.

A lot of the problems come from the core failure of D3: absolutely no sense of roleplay or character building. This is why skills like revive and steel golem will never really work in D3. Anything that grounds gameplay in anything except other gameplay is inefficient, and therefore fundamentally incompatible with D3.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How did late-end-game D2 Necro play? Did it have viable pet builds?

I can see why blizzard was hesitant to step on WD's toes with permanent pets. But meh.

George posted:

A lot of the problems come from the core failure of D3: absolutely no sense of roleplay or character building.

I don't understand this, champs in D3 are way more fleshed out than in D2.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I can see why blizzard was hesitant to step on WD's toes with permanent pets. But meh.

I don't understand this, champs in D3 are way more fleshed out than in D2.

The Best Builds had 20 in Raise Skeleton, 20 in raise skeletal mage, and 20 in Skeleton Mastery and you could solo the end game with it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Enigma -> Teleport on top of something and it dies from your minions.

To be fair most endgame D2 builds start with Enigma.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Anyone who wants a good idea of what full on pet build in D2 looks like should search for apologia diaboli on YouTube. The guy plays the entire game without clicking on a single monster. Great LP to fall asleep to.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Is there a goon clan where I can get together with a bunch of men from the internet to discuss my growing bone collection??

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Not everything needs to be "Active Gameplay," Blizzard :colbert:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
It seems like with LoN you could build a skeleton + thorns build, right?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah I know I'm the worst, but I just want my massive skeleton army, and for Skeleton mage to be permanent, and honestly everything I liked about the necromancer i can find in the WD who is the base part of the game. Looks like they just gave me my refund though which is nice. I'll buy it again if they "fix" what I hate about the necromancer, but honestly I'm not going to stress out about it. It's a DLC I don't like not the end of the world.

I'm not saying you dislike Diablo 3, but it was always presciently expected the Necro pack wouldn't make the masses who disliked Diablo 3 suddenly like it. The fundamental mechanics/art direction/game design will always be a different cup'o'tea to D2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Pet build was poo poo for most of the game's history and then one of the super-late patches overhauled class balance and made them pretty good.

The secret to it was that the skeletons weren't actually there for anything except getting the first corpse down and then distraction tanking, though, because CE in Diablo 2 scaled with monster health and monster health scaled with difficulty level so it basically outdamaged everything as long as you could keep it going.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eregos posted:

I'm not saying you dislike Diablo 3, but it was always presciently expected the Necro pack wouldn't make the masses who disliked Diablo 3 suddenly like it. The fundamental mechanics/art direction/game design will always be a different cup'o'tea to D2.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I expected but there customer service was pretty great, so no harm no foul really.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've been playtesting with Inarius Jewelry. I swapped from my middle of the road Traveler's Pledge with Kriysben and Unity, but now I've swapped to wearing unity, kryspens, Johnstone and then the +5 bone armor stacks amulet in my cube. At TXIII and GR 65, I felt that while I really didn't notice a difference in my damage, I felt like the bonus stacks from my bone armor offset the loss of the traveling damage reduction enough that I wasn't dying, but not enough that I didn't notice a big increase in incoming damage.

Johnstone is weird, because i feel like its effect will be more appreciable at higher greater rifts. Where I'm at right now is I pop LotD, then spam lance on an elite without cursing or bonestorming it. I get like 40-50 stacks and then run around, but I dont really know how to do the math to figure out the top end of the janky jewelry build vs. the tride and true pledge. How exactly can I best compare the numbers? Despite Johnstone being clunky, it does make your LotD more engaging and less of a "push to win" button

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Malgrin posted:

It seems like with LoN you could build a skeleton + thorns build, right?

Nah, I believe there's no way for the pets to apply the thorns, proc hack, or to force the mobs to attack them. There was a thorns build on the PTR as the necro solo tank, similar to Invoker, but it may have been Inarius/Hack, but it just wasn't good enough compared to the other options, like Mirinae. Maybe once Mirinae/Bonenado is nerfed, Hack/Thorns Inarius Necrotank may resurface.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 2, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

VodeAndreas posted:

To be fair most endgame D2 builds start with Enigma.
Ten years ago I bought an Enigma with real money off D2JSP (or whatever that site was) and doing that teleport-minion-gib thing was the most fun thing ever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bust Rodd posted:

I've been playtesting with Inarius Jewelry. I swapped from my middle of the road Traveler's Pledge with Kriysben and Unity, but now I've swapped to wearing unity, kryspens, Johnstone and then the +5 bone armor stacks amulet in my cube. At TXIII and GR 65, I felt that while I really didn't notice a difference in my damage, I felt like the bonus stacks from my bone armor offset the loss of the traveling damage reduction enough that I wasn't dying, but not enough that I didn't notice a big increase in incoming damage.

Johnstone is weird, because i feel like its effect will be more appreciable at higher greater rifts. Where I'm at right now is I pop LotD, then spam lance on an elite without cursing or bonestorming it. I get like 40-50 stacks and then run around, but I dont really know how to do the math to figure out the top end of the janky jewelry build vs. the tride and true pledge. How exactly can I best compare the numbers? Despite Johnstone being clunky, it does make your LotD more engaging and less of a "push to win" button

Johnstone gets better the more time you stay out of LotD, but for higher grifts, CE Necro is basically reduced to a two-minute wonder anyway where you spend the majority of your cooldown time rounding up mobs and then popping LotD for mega damage. It's still useful for getting the snowball started when your corpse generation is low, but it's not as necessary as Wisdom of Kalan. However in my experience the likelihood of finding a well-rolled WoK is basically zero and Johnstone will at least always come with guaranteed CHD.

My feeling is that if you can survive, then the net effect of Krysbie + CoE + Wisdom + Johnstone cubed will edge out the contribution from two of those + Endless Walk. CE Necro isn't like Shadow DH where you can take a couple seconds to build up damage stacks from standing still -- you're basically always moving and repositioning to take advantage of fresh corpses + not die.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Newbie question, do common/white items serve any purpose other than turned into reusable parts? In D2 Eastern Sun, I remember being able to enchant items from common to pretty high up.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Senso posted:

Newbie question, do common/white items serve any purpose other than turned into reusable parts? In D2 Eastern Sun, I remember being able to enchant items from common to pretty high up.
You can then turn those Reusable Parts into Arcane Dust/Veiled Crystals. :v:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Senso posted:

There's an item that spawns a goblin who picks them up, gives rares and rarely a legendary.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Idk how far this will scale, but cubing that poorly rolled Taskers I had for ages, and finding a jesseth set within 200 shards catapulted my necro straight into T4+. Now I just need to find other things that boost skellies. I could cube that off hand I got from kadala that boosts commanded skeletons, but off hands are considered armor right? Are Taskers still rare? I could try and get one of those and just reforge until decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Having a cubed Tasker is good thing for the Rath set, so that's something to work towards.