Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Irithyll is fine for the most part and I like how it loops back around, but the causeway with the dogs and the invisible mages plus a red phantom (just past the silver knights) can go gently caress itself. Doesn't matter if you're a caster or a sword+board character, either way there is something to kill you there--and the dogs make it difficult to run through. Definitely my least favorite segment in the series, because it doesn't even have the tension of, say, DS1's boar segment in the Burg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beat the game without dying just now, including both DLCs, ended up being an 11 hour long playthrough. Definitely the hardest of the three games to beat without a single death, by a long shot.

Obligatory proof screenshot here (dark sigil, but no hollowing).

My stats at the end.

The kinds of things I sometimes had to resort to in order to survive were interesting, it gave me a new perspective on ways to play that I hadn't considered before. A couple times I had to panic homeward bone out of boss fights or encounters because I didn't have enough health/estus, and I often resorted to throwables to stay safe (black firebombs are really powerful you guys). I did all of the NPC sidequests I could as well. I never had to grind for souls or upgrade materials because I stuck with medium armor + straight swords for most of it, to give myself the most straightforward time possible.

No fancy gimmicks, no spectacle, just me vs the world. But I did make good use of infusions to exploit bosses' weaknesses, especially in the DLC. The only boss in the DLCs I almost died to was Midir (of course), and I managed to keep Gael alive until the final phase of Ariandel's final boss so that was slightly easier than it would've been otherwise. I also respecced a couple times into magic and back again, so that I could use the magic weapon spells etc to boost my damage.

But even then, I was mostly just keeping up with enemies at that point because even with 50 vig I was still getting nearly one-shotted by most of the DLCs' enemies. I needed every little bit of that vigor. It is truly horseshit and I have no idea how they thought it was fair to the player. The ringed knights in The Ringed City are garbage enemies, but they are thankfully weak to frost so that did away with them pretty fast. That said, at level 100+ the DLCs were actually pretty fun instead of an exercise in extreme frustration, but it's a shame that I had to be at the absolute highest I could go in order to even kind of match up with the enemies.

Still, it was fun, and I recommend that if you try it you pump vigor IMMEDIATELY because it really massively increases your survivability. I think it is the hardest of the three games to beat without dying, but it is "friendlier" to it in that there's a lot of ways to go about surviving if you're in trouble.

Dark Souls 3 is a real good video game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 2, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Section Z posted:

Embrace pulling them with arrows like an MMO to deal with at your leisure/pump arrows into their face till they die. Because their distance from the door is so far their buddies don't give a poo poo.

Don't free the crucifix monster.

Yeah use a boring slow strategy instead of a fun and cool one.

Crucifix buddy is the best part of the whole dungeon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah use a boring slow strategy instead of a fun and cool one.

Crucifix buddy is the best part of the whole dungeon.

Crucifix buddy doesn't even rate an "Award for participation" any time I bother with him :v: Though yes it is a boring strategy, but the bonfire is not too far past that room so hey, once that's lit it's time to unleash the beast inside to run in and stab everything to death while they stare at you with less worry.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Crucifix buddy took out like all but two of them for me. You might need to kite him out a bit but he wrecks house

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Obligatory proof screenshot here (dark sigil, but no hollowing).

While I don't think you're lying about your accomplishment, it's worth pointing out that hollowing can be cured with purging stones (if high enough) or at Velka statue (at any amount) and the menu entry for it disappears when it's zero.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls 3 is a real good video game.

Impressive!

Do you get a special item or something? I remember DS2 gave you a ring.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DS2 is the only one to give a practical reward for not dying or not using a bonfire. DS3 gives zero shits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Impressive!

Do you get a special item or something? I remember DS2 gave you a ring.

I wish. It would have been cool to get something like the invisible weapon rings.

Vil posted:

While I don't think you're lying about your accomplishment, it's worth pointing out that hollowing can be cured with purging stones (if high enough) or at Velka statue (at any amount) and the menu entry for it disappears when it's zero.

imo it's the kind of thing that there's really no point in lying about for internet kudos, because the most you'll get is either "good job" or "I don't believe you", so you'll just have to take my word for it!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

Embrace pulling them with arrows like an MMO to deal with at your leisure/pump arrows into their face till they die. Because their distance from the door is so far their abuddies don't give a poo poo.

Don't free the crucifix monster.

Yeah that what I ended up doing.I gotta say my favorite part of the dungeon was being a watcher of farron and spending most of my time not in the dungeon.

Is SL50 a normal pvp range? I saw all sort of end game equipment and the same people over and over. I only managed to kill 1 all night, but it was still so much fun.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

imo it's the kind of thing that there's really no point in lying about for internet kudos, because the most you'll get is either "good job" or "I don't believe you", so you'll just have to take my word for it!

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Not much point in including screenshot proof that doesn't actually prove anything. As I said, I think you're telling the truth, and really it's more of a personal accomplishment (you know that you did it, regardless of the reception you get) and the story part of it was the interesting part as an outsider.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Dark Eater Midir? Fart Eater Shitir, more like. gently caress this thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

vandalism posted:

Dark Eater Midir? Fart Eater Shitir, more like. gently caress this thing.

I kind of liked him once I got the hang of him. Having a good shield and plenty of stamina may have helped, though.

His fight is very much about positioning - once you know where to go with each of his attacks, they'll hardly ever hit you. Also, take advantage of that one where he slashes twice and then rears to the side for a horizontal fire breath - it's your biggest and safest window of opportunity to unload on his head. Any moves you're having trouble with?

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I restarted my playthough with NG+ this weekend. I noticed there are very few people playing co-op now. Could it be that I overleveled myself out of summon range (am level 150), or did everybody just quit playing?

Should I keep leveling up? Is it at all possible to go down in level?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

I kind of liked him once I got the hang of him. Having a good shield and plenty of stamina may have helped, though.

His fight is very much about positioning - once you know where to go with each of his attacks, they'll hardly ever hit you. Also, take advantage of that one where he slashes twice and then rears to the side for a horizontal fire breath - it's your biggest and safest window of opportunity to unload on his head. Any moves you're having trouble with?

I am having difficulty even dodging anything of his. I get him down to 1/4 and by then I've been hit a million times and drank all my estus. I have a dragon crest shield. I'm fighting him with a bleed guy build that's using drakeblood greatsword +9 and dragon crest shield. It's brutal. I am just bad at dodging. Have difficulty dodging at the right time and place.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

torsoboy posted:

I restarted my playthough with NG+ this weekend. I noticed there are very few people playing co-op now. Could it be that I overleveled myself out of summon range (am level 150), or did everybody just quit playing?

Should I keep leveling up? Is it at all possible to go down in level?

most people stop around 120 for the pvp so there's probably less people around at 150. makes no difference unless you want coop help (if you're on PS4 we have a group set up so you can ask for help or w/e), you can't go down in levels which is kinda annoying but oh well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Bloodborne reject attacks the jailers? :eyepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, that's the only actual benefit to letting the guy out, he pretty much disarms that trap room on his own. I also enjoy the mimic that can beat the poo poo out of the stray demon in the catacombs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

vandalism posted:

I am having difficulty even dodging anything of his. I get him down to 1/4 and by then I've been hit a million times and drank all my estus. I have a dragon crest shield. I'm fighting him with a bleed guy build that's using drakeblood greatsword +9 and dragon crest shield. It's brutal. I am just bad at dodging. Have difficulty dodging at the right time and place.

Going behind and under him is a trap, his downwards fire breath is extremely good at catching you if you attempt to run behind him. Instead stay in front of him and just out of range, and when he comes back down his head will be right in front of you. This alone should probably save you a few estus.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't even need the mimic, just kite all the skeletons from down the stairs into him.

Bogart posted:

The Bloodborne reject attacks the jailers? :eyepop:
The what now?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

The Stray Demon is easy to cheese solo too. He'll use his flame breath then come up the stairs at you. Just attack him as he walks up, duck around the corner, and attack as he goes back down to reset.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not the point, Local Souls Experts

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Infighting is always good and I wish the series had more of it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Steve Jorbs posted:

The Stray Demon is easy to cheese solo too. He'll use his flame breath then come up the stairs at you. Just attack him as he walks up, duck around the corner, and attack as he goes back down to reset.
it's much much funnier to watch a bunch of skeletons swarm him to death

skasion posted:

Infighting is always good and I wish the series had more of it.
Agreed. More types of enemies should be able to hit each other/aggro if projectiles accidentally hit them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

vandalism posted:

OK, here's the lowdown - it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it:

At all times, try to either be below or slightly in front of him when he's about to attack. The closer you are, the better. Here's his attacks:

* He rampages forward, clawing and spewing fire. Block or roll forward through this - he won't send many hits your way before he moves onward. Follow him, and prepare for his next attack.

* He swipes forward twice, then rears backwards and sideways to sweep the area ahead of him in fire. Dodge through this so you're below him (or block the first and dodge the second if it comes out too fast or your position is bad), and his fire breath attack should put his head obligingly close to your sword. Carve him the gently caress up, then put your shield up as soon as he looks likely to do something else. If his head looks difficult to reach, hit his chest or his back legs - you'll do less damage, but all safe damage is good damage.

* He slams his forelegs forward twice, then rears up to bathe the area below him in flames. Make your way past the slams, using dodges and blocks as necessary, and run for his tail. Lay into it while he's breathing fire (and don't worry too much about the slightly erratic hitbox - you're doing chip damage anyway), and then put your shield up - he'll try to tail-swipe you, though if you're far away enough not to get hit by the fire, then he should miss you if you just stand still.

* He rears up, screeches, and slams his forelegs down. This one's easy - use the screech to get to his back legs, then slice at his ankles when he dodges forwards. Don't get greedy, though - he'll probably tail-whip you after this, and you will be in range this time, so put your shield up after a couple of hits.

* He simply lunges forward. Just block this one, and then see if you can get in a hit or two before the tail-whip.

* He flies away, and then carpets a large part of the area in fire. Move quickly towards him to get inside his field of fire - it's easier than it looks, but if you're sure you won't make it, block and wince as he takes off a big chunk of your health anyway. Once you're past that, get towards him as quickly as possible, though you'll probably have to deal with a ranged attack before getting back into close quarters.

* He breathes fire forwards, and then follows it up with two beams of dark magic - one forwards, then another in an arc. Dodge sideways when you see the fire coming towards you, then roll forwards while he's following it up with the first beam (which follows the path of the fire), and land a couple of hits on his forelegs while he's doing the big sweeping beam.

* He rears up and breathes fire downwards. Just stop running towards him (or back away from him) and wait until he's done. Easy.

* He breathes fire forwards, then follows up with a sideways sweep of fire. This kne's tricky, but try to dodge to the side while closing in. With luck, you'll make it.

* He stands in place for a little bit, tail up, before nuking the area around him with dark magic. He uses this one from half health onwards. Just get the gently caress out of there, and learn to read the warning signs - if he's just standing there doing nothing, this is on the way. There's a helpful buildup of dark energy in the affected area just before the attack, but that gives you less warning than you may prefer.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What are good things to use souls on besides level-ups and weapon upgrades if I want to stay at the PVP range for the area I'm in but also don't want to have a giant pile I could lose at any moment?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

what are good things to use souls on besides level-ups and weapon upgrades if i want to stay at the pvp range for the area i'm in but also don't want to have a giant pile i could lose at any moment?

Spells and items, I guess? Poison, toxin, and bleeding crop up a lot in this game, so moss is a good but somewhat expensive investment.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, that's the only actual benefit to letting the guy out, he pretty much disarms that trap room on his own. I also enjoy the mimic that can beat the poo poo out of the stray demon in the catacombs.

The flame demon flame breathed the mimic to death before it even got to the stairs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So Vaati uploaded part three of that ~lore~ series and oh man he's really stretching this poo poo out. "I watched a cartoon, therefore I can say this is true with certainty!" Also he's trying really, really hard to tie everything he can to Manus and Oolacile now. Also Fillianore is a firekeeper? :shrug: That's a couple minutes of my life I won't get back.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fillianore can't be a firekeeper

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

So Vaati uploaded part three of that ~lore~ series and oh man he's really stretching this poo poo out. "I watched a cartoon, therefore I can say this is true with certainty!" Also he's trying really, really hard to tie everything he can to Manus and Oolacile now. Also Fillianore is a firekeeper? :shrug: That's a couple minutes of my life I won't get back.

Yeah, I think reading the (possible) reference to Angel's Egg as anything more than a reference is a path that leads nowhere. He admits in the first like 2 or 3 minutes of the video that he has nothing to go on regarding Filianore, not in lore or item descriptions or events in the game itself. So the video is completely pointless. :geno:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I think reading the (possible) reference to Angel's Egg as anything more than a reference is a path that leads nowhere. He admits in the first like 2 or 3 minutes of the video that he has nothing to go on regarding Filianore, not in lore or item descriptions or events in the game itself. So the video is completely pointless. :geno:

Ah, so much like all of his videos then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, yes, but it's not often that he is so open about how utterly useless his videos are

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo Siegward fucks up his giant bro :stare:. I kinda feel bad going this route because I didn't do poo poo in that boss fight.

Also I'm a bit disappointed with my dark uchigatana +6. It seems only slightly better Irithyll straight sword on certain enemies. But I have 14 strength, 16 dex, 21 int and faith. I was hoping with so much of a stat investment the katana would be noticeable difference. Is there a better option for me?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Shwqa posted:

Holy poo poo Siegward fucks up his giant bro :stare:. I kinda feel bad going this route because I didn't do poo poo in that boss fight.

Also I'm a bit disappointed with my dark uchigatana +6. It seems only slightly better Irithyll straight sword on certain enemies. But I have 14 strength, 16 dex, 21 int and faith. I was hoping with so much of a stat investment the katana would be noticeable difference. Is there a better option for me?

DS3 wants a lot of levels pumped into stats for you to really get return on scaling. Moreover, split damage doesn't do too well. You might be better off uninfusing it and applying a buff, since the only 'natural' Dark weapons are late game: Onyx Blade, Murky Hand-axe, Crucifix of the Mad King, and the Frayed Blade. happy birthday shwqa

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Unless you're hitting 40 in your damage stats you haven't invested a lot

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Onyx blade you can get early though

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

CJacobs posted:

A couple times I had to panic homeward bone out of boss fights ...

Wow, I had no idea this was possible. Wish I had back when I was still at the 'accidentally walking into a boss fight with 100k souls' stage!

Congrats, impressive stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kilinrax posted:

Wow, I had no idea this was possible. Wish I had back when I was still at the 'accidentally walking into a boss fight with 100k souls' stage!

They actually made it much easier in DS3 - Homeward Bones activate way, way faster than at any other point in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kilinrax posted:

You can also quit out, when you reload it'll spawn you right outside the fog door and there's no animation to go through so it's quicker once you have the muscle memory to do it fast.