Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

Misspent Youth is kickstarting a new edition/print run. MY is a short-campaign game about kids fighting back against The Man in the YA dystopia of your choice. I reviewed it for F&F a while ago, and Robert Bohl himself loved the review (he was so happy that I "got it" :3:) so check that out.

Oh, and one of the setting for the new edition of MY is "rollergirls v The Man" so, you know. That may interest people.

MY is really loving good, like, really good. I've had a campaign of that involve someone at the table actually tearing up a bit and also the group strapping roller skates to monkeys to crash a country club party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

MY is really loving good, like, really good. I've had a campaign of that involve someone at the table actually tearing up a bit and also the group strapping roller skates to monkeys to crash a country club party.
You should tweet this to Robert Bohl because it'd be a great back-of-the-book quote.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am guessing that all of those refs are unlicensed minis or something similar?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course they are. Apparently you can get away with anything if you keep you run small enough.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With another CMON KS about to end its time to play a game of 'just how many pop culture jokes did they cram into the exclusive stretch goals'. So far we have

I kind of got burned out on the exclusives on the modern Zombicide, but at least they make a little sense there. This time around, the majority of the exclusives are pretty bad and really don't fit in at all. Yet, the backers are raving about them. :shrug: I'll sell mine off on Ebay to the weirdos who want a Dwarf not-Wolverine and pay for the core game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I kind of got burned out on the exclusives on the modern Zombicide, but at least they make a little sense there. This time around, the majority of the exclusives are pretty bad and really don't fit in at all. Yet, the backers are raving about them. :shrug: I'll sell mine off on Ebay to the weirdos who want a Dwarf not-Wolverine and pay for the core game.

Yeah, of the list I actually like The Stranger Things models since it's the kids dressed up like their DnD characters, Thulsa Doom, Lemmy and Bavmorda since they actually feel like they could be a part of the game.

I imagine there's some lines the lawyers won't let them cross. It's a board game about an ork horde decimating the country side and not a single Warcraft model to be found.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
KS exclusives actually super stress me out. I don't like the concept, unless they're cosmetic, but it also really bothers me if I can't 'have everything' related to a board game I like. Fortunately most games with lots of KS exclusives are forgettable miniature games anyway

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/116597536/build-the-wall-the-politically-incorrect-board-gam/description
Features all five kinds of illegal immigrants - the sick, anchor babies, criminals, terrorists and 'good eggs'. I like how desert begins immediately south of the US border

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/951895566/right-or-racist/description
A true-or-false trivia party game guaranteed to make everyone go home early. Occasionally the game encourages the players to debate on topics such as 'Islam is inherently a dangerous religion' and 'BLM is a hate group'

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

bandaid.friend posted:

A true-or-false trivia party game guaranteed to make everyone go home early. Occasionally the game encourages the players to debate on topics such as 'Islam is inherently a dangerous religion' and 'BLM is a hate group'

I like how one "side" is just a dude in a Trump hat, and the other one is the ZOMG "PC POLICE." But yeah, totally unbiased game designed to promote dialogue without any ulterior agenda whatsoever amirite?

\/\/\/ Imagine that, "political correctness" means "don't be a loving rear end in a top hat."

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 1, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

KS exclusives actually super stress me out. I don't like the concept, unless they're cosmetic, but it also really bothers me if I can't 'have everything' related to a board game I like. Fortunately most games with lots of KS exclusives are forgettable miniature games anyway

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/116597536/build-the-wall-the-politically-incorrect-board-gam/description
Features all five kinds of illegal immigrants - the sick, anchor babies, criminals, terrorists and 'good eggs'. I like how desert begins immediately south of the US border

"I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

Happy Valentine’s Day."
- Neil Gaiman

Serf
May 5, 2011

i like how the terrible game about building the wall spelled it "boarder" wall because the designers collectively have about fifteen working brain cells

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Peas and Rice posted:

I like how one "side" is just a dude in a Trump hat, and the other one is the ZOMG "PC POLICE." But yeah, totally unbiased game designed to promote dialogue without any ulterior agenda whatsoever amirite?

\/\/\/ Imagine that, "political correctness" means "don't be a loving rear end in a top hat."

The PC Police is crying a giant tear that says "that's racist". Holy crap.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bandaid.friend posted:

I've commented on it before and I'll doubtlessly comment on it again but you can really set your watch by these sorts of "politically incorrect" tabletop game Kickstarters and their inevitable abject failure. I don't think I've ever seen a single one actually succeed. At least the second one cottoned onto the idea of offering a print and play version though it's far too late to do any good given that they're at some $800 of a $16,000 goal with 17 days to go and a whopping 10 comments.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bandaid.friend posted:

$484 pledged out of $50,000, with six days to go!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

FMguru posted:

$484 pledged out of $50,000, with six days to go!

$845 now. If it keeps doubling at this rate it will be one of the most successfull kickstarters of all time!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a single one actually succeed.

I thought I saw one succeed because it was being used to launder money into a PAC or something

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

I thought I saw one succeed because it was being used to launder money into a PAC or something

Do you have a link? I'm oddly fascinated by these sorts of Kickstarters because they all seem to spring from the same mold and all seem to run into the same problems.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

Do you have a link? I'm oddly fascinated by these sorts of Kickstarters because they all seem to spring from the same mold and all seem to run into the same problems.

You mean the problem that the people who would buy their products don't use Kickstarter? And that the people who do use Kickstarter would, as a group, never back these products?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think it's come up before, but why don't those anti-PC game maker wannabes use IndieGoGo? Then at least they'd get some money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it's come up before, but why don't those anti-PC game maker wannabes use IndieGoGo? Then at least they'd get some money.

Are we sure they don't? E.g., has anyone been scoping indieGoGo out for these kinds of projects?

Also the obvious answer is that even the meager pledges they get would not happen without the normal KS setup of no payments unless the project funds.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

You mean the problem that the people who would buy their products don't use Kickstarter? And that the people who do use Kickstarter would, as a group, never back these products?

That's certainly one part of it. The other part is that projects of this sort invariably seem to be created by people who know nothing about how to market a tabletop game on Kickstarter. They have poor production values, no marketing outreach, no print and play copies, they make only the most cursory of efforts to build word of mouth, make no updates, etc. They're uniformly started by people who seem to be perpetually under the impression that contemporary crowdfunding is some magic money tree where you can toss any dumb thing onto Kickstarter and people will throw heir wallets at it just because.

But I've noticed for a while now that people with an interest in pushing lovely agendas who are happy to spend plenty of time and effort doing so often seem to balk at spending their money to do so. When James Desborough was getting called out for being a goober with a fixation on shoehorning tasteless rape-centric content into his elfgames you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting someone eager to jump to his defense and decry his critics as pearl-clutching moralizers out to start up a second satanic panic. When James Desborough starts up a Patreon where true believers can help fund his game making efforts? He's lucky to get a hundred bucks a month.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Requested my free PDF download of Right or Racist. I expect to be won over by their rigorous fact-checking and nuanced perspective to such a sensitive and complex subject.

To be fair, as far as ideological games go, they're still probably better than Chutes 'n Ladders.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm assuming the correct answer to all of the questions is "that's racist."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

senrath posted:

I'm assuming the correct answer to all of the questions is "that's racist."

It's pretty much "How to Lie With Statistics: the Game", so most of them are "That's right, but the conclusion you're drawing from it isn't, you loving rear end in a top hat."

To be fair, some aren't racist. There's a good deal of homophobia and sexism, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I've commented on it before and I'll doubtlessly comment on it again but you can really set your watch by these sorts of "politically incorrect" tabletop game Kickstarters and their inevitable abject failure. I don't think I've ever seen a single one actually succeed. At least the second one cottoned onto the idea of offering a print and play version though it's far too late to do any good given that they're at some $800 of a $16,000 goal with 17 days to go and a whopping 10 comments.

Here's kind of one that did succeed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/alternative-facts-a-hilarious-card-game-by-frog-go

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Stickman posted:

To be fair, some aren't racist. There's a good deal of homophobia and sexism, too.

That's exactly the kind of thing a libtard cuck snowflake would say.

(Please note sarcasm).

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'm surprised more don't succeed. Seems like the creators of these games could post them in r/trump and insta fund. Luckily these idiots are as bad at advertising as they are at making games and not being assholes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In the realm of kickstarters that aren't by terrible people, Fragged Empire: Expanded has just over 48 hours left and has hit most of its stretch goals. US$22 gets you the core PDF and two of the expansions, $34 gets you the core and all three:
  • Soulsbourne, complete with respawning after TKPs, in an infinite gothic city
  • A fanstasy world with settlement management, that takes place centuries after Fragged Empire
  • Pirates v. Cthuuhlu

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the realm of kickstarters that aren't by terrible people, Fragged Empire: Expanded has just over 48 hours left and has hit most of its stretch goals. US$22 gets you the core PDF and two of the expansions, $34 gets you the core and all three:
  • A fanstasy world with settlement management, that takes place centuries after Fragged Empire
  • Pirates v. Cthuuhlu

I definitely got in for all the PDFs. I'm really excited about all of this. Having a sci-fi RPG with grid-based combat rules that aren't garbage is basically my dream.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bandaid.friend posted:

I think my favorite bit for the racist game is the scorecard being so cowardly it goes from 'woah you're hitler' to 'lol kill yourself you annoying snowflake' but the entire gray middle area is just 'you stupid piece of poo poo there's no way you're actually in the middle of things for issues like this'

Like, it's just so obvious it was made by people who think 'haha yea I'm totally racist guys you got me' is the 'right' side there but they're too much of a bunch of wimps to actually say that's the side you want to be on in the scores.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Like, it's just so obvious it was made by people who think 'haha yea I'm totally racist guys you got me' is the 'right' side there but they're too much of a bunch of wimps to actually say that's the side you want to be on in the scores.

The "debate cards" are described as "subjective statements" but the ones they show ("Islam is dangerous", "BLM is a hate group") have one clear, obvious answer (no) and aren't subjective at all. I wonder why that is :ssh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ettin posted:

The "debate cards" are described as "subjective statements" but the ones they show ("Islam is dangerous", "BLM is a hate group") have one clear, obvious answer (no) and aren't subjective at all. I wonder why that is :ssh:

Seriously those debate cards rule.

"IS BLM a hate group?"

"Uh...no?"

And then either someone outs themselves as insane and tries to say that actually #bluelivesmatter or whatever or yea everyone just nods. This is so obviously for and by CHUDs it almost makes me sad that they wimped out of making the 'racists' actually right in the right ratio.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Got access to the print-n-play doc. They're basically all just alt-right talking points stated outright, except for a few like "A hot dog, is a sandwich." Superfluous comma theirs.

Other debate topics: "America should torture war criminals and terrorists." "America would be better off if the South had won the Civil War." "The United States should not elect an openly LGBT person for president, ever." "America should institute a flat tax so we can eliminate people leeching off of other people's hard work."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It warms my heart that the people who are the audiences for these people promoting hate-speech are just as lazy as I am when it comes to actually shelling out for something that isn't free for a cause they believe in. Liking and sharing racist and spurious statements on Facebook? It's free so they'll do it. Weird online circlejerking? It's free so they'll do it. Pay weird racist figureheads money so their bad "edgy" game can get put out so they can play this with "friends"/people held hostage with the promise of fun? Well hold on now, that would require me to pay money out for a minimum of $10 and I wouldn't get my gratification immediately, so...

e: also in better news, Mastermind's general exuberance for Fragged Empire has rubbed off on me a little and motivated an impulse investment on the "get the core and all three sourcebooks" level.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 3, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Mastermind posted:

• Pirates v. Cthuuhlu

And backed. I was looking for an excuse to pick up all the core Fragged Empire PDFs anyway, now I get fantasy and pirates to go with it!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

• Pirates v. Cthuuhlu

Fragged Empires is a fantastic game system and I'm really looking forward to running Fragged Seas. I 've backed Fragged Empire Kickstarters before and they do a top notch job on fulfillment too! Also, if you can afford it spring for the hardcopies. their books are absolutely gorgeous.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

JackMann posted:

"America should institute a flat tax so we can eliminate people leeching off of other people's hard work."

Isn't it just the perfect fit that the one topic they have that could lead to interesting discussion is worded in such a way to be as dickish as possible. Sure, a Flat Tax is almost certainly a bad idea, but it's a bad idea for non-obvious reasons so you can have an interesting debate over whether or not it would work and what alternatives would function better if one were to reform the tax code. But no, it's clearly just so that they can make fun of poor people.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In less racist news, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong had an expansion Kickstarter ending in 7 hours. The game's a blast and the expansion stuff all looks good. They even have exclusives from the base game Kickstarter as an add-on if you missed it.

If you aren't familiar with the game, think Mysterium, but with a hidden traitor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152730994/deception-undercover-allies-0/description

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hostile V posted:

It warms my heart that the people who are the audiences for these people promoting hate-speech are just as lazy as I am when it comes to actually shelling out for something that isn't free for a cause they believe in. Liking and sharing racist and spurious statements on Facebook? It's free so they'll do it. Weird online circlejerking? It's free so they'll do it. Pay weird racist figureheads money so their bad "edgy" game can get put out so they can play this with "friends"/people held hostage with the promise of fun? Well hold on now, that would require me to pay money out for a minimum of $10 and I wouldn't get my gratification immediately, so...
I'd wager that it's also because posting that stuff on social media gets a visible rise out of liberals/SJWs/whoever, which is a large chunk of the point. But you're not going to get a left-winger to sit down and play this game, let alone play it "seriously".

quote:

e: also in better news, Mastermind's general exuberance for Fragged Empire has rubbed off on me a little and motivated an impulse investment on the "get the core and all three sourcebooks" level.
:dance:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
In at the 3 PDF level for Expanded Fragging, though hopefully I'll have the option to upgrade in the backerkit later, as the books are really pretty. Just not the funds available before the kickstarter ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

rydiafan posted:

In less racist news, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong had an expansion Kickstarter ending in 7 hours. The game's a blast and the expansion stuff all looks good. They even have exclusives from the base game Kickstarter as an add-on if you missed it.

If you aren't familiar with the game, think Mysterium, but with a hidden traitor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152730994/deception-undercover-allies-0/description

Aww man, I'm a sucker for KS-only add-ons like someone else posted above. It bothers me on some level that my game will never be 'complete'.