Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mister Adequate posted:

Ask ten FF fans this question and you'll get eleven opinions. For my part, X is the greatest the series has ever been, and X-2 is secretly solid gold. I dislike IX personally, but the Steam port is, by all accounts, extremely solid.

I don't agree with best, but FFX is great! It's got a handful of good characters and a really engaging progression system that's fun to break. I do not like X-2 because of the way the game is structured and hating Yuna, but there's good stuff in there.

FFXIV is also a great Final Fantasy, but that's a beast of a different stripe.

Downs Duck posted:

Cross-posting from the Steam thread as the region thing might be interesting for more people/get more answers here.

Quick question about Steam gifting and their region-retarded thing:
I jumped on a key in the gift thread and got this message when trying to activate it:

"Not Available
Sorry, but the following items are not avilable for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled."

-Game was Saints Row IV.
-I don't have it from before.
-I'm situated in Norway, we don't have any censorship on games at all, so I would expect all versions to activate normally.

Never had this happen to my before, all keys have activated pefectly before. Anyone knows what's up?

Game is no biggie, but I would sure like to understand the region thing better, if it fucks up even activating keys at this point.
SRIV has a lot of licensed music so maybe it's region locked for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

So I take it Hollow Knight is a Recommend I take it? I'll pick that up.

And I wanna get one more game and that might do it for me this sale. It's a tossup right now between VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action or The Sexy Brutal. Suggestions?

Something to note about Sexy Brutale is that whilst it is an absolutely amazing game, with wonderful visuals and sound, it can be completed and 100% achieved in under 8 hours. There is no replayability, short of repeating your previous enjoyment of sight and sound.

That said, I really enjoyed those 8 hours.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just a reminder that we have a :gifttank: GIFT TRAIN :gifttank: going on right now, and everyone who signs up for the first time this sale, gets a free spin on The Wheel OF TRASH!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

mango sentinel posted:

SRIV has a lot of licensed music so maybe it's region locked for that?

Didn't think of that, so yeah, that might be the cause for sure.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

DontMindMe posted:

Did another dive into hidden gem threads and came up with another list of possible gems/trash. Any feedback on what to keep/drop?

Militia - neat puzzle/strategy game
140 - short platformer, I had fun with it
NEO Scavenger - I am not good at this game but I can't fault the game for that

EDIT: Dropped REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR, added Pharaoh Rebirth - don't drop REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR it is a fun shmup
EDIT 2: I've gone mad. Added a bunch of other stuff

-Blackadder- posted:

Morrowind or Oblivion?

get Morrowind. Morrowind features a strange land to get lost in. Oblivion features Patrick Stewart

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Zetsubou-san posted:

get Morrowind. Morrowind features a strange land to get lost in. Oblivion features Patrick Stewart

This. There is also the overhaul mod which has a super easy to use step by step installer and makes the game look way more modern.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Everspace and Starpoint Gemini Warlords, any good?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Get Morrowind. PCGamer also had an article this week that lists several Morrowind mods that make the game less dated poo poo. I already had several of those on my "I need to install these if I'm ever playing Morrowind" so it's a good list. There's also plenty others that'll make it good, and those that used to push your computer to its limit (like the living Morrowind mod that fills cities and roads with people) are now ridiculously simple to run.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone want a skull? I might have too many skulls.

e: I'm serious. Shoot me a friend request and explain why you need a skull, and you will get One (1) skull.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Why do you have so many skulls, why did you not bury them with the bodies!

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

Is ... is this supposed to make people not want Oblivion? :confused:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
More importantly: What the gently caress are skulls good for?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

e: I'm serious. Shoot me a friend request and explain why you need a skull, and you will get One (1) skull.

Would love a skull to wish death upon my Steam chat enemies, but am going to need a SteamID link listed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think the most accessible FF games are 9 and 10, depending on if you want a PS1 era game (no voice acting, kind of old graphics, clunky battle system but extremely charming and silly) or a PS2 era game (bad voice acting, battle systems started actually thinking about strategy and not just bigger numbers, but takes itself extremely seriously)

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Drunk in Space posted:

Is ... is this supposed to make people not want Oblivion? :confused:

Patrick Stewart is introduced and dies within the first 20 minutes of the game. The rest of the world is populated by like 8 voice actors. And Sean Bean if you do the main quest.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

https://youtu.be/VLXEj4UowF8

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

Did another dive into hidden gem threads and came up with another list of possible gems/trash. Any feedback on what to keep/drop?

Crimzon Clover
Militia
Megabyte Punch
Pharaoh Rebirth
OVIVO

Crimson Clover - Others have already recommended this one and I'll agree with them. It's an extraordinarily good bullet hell so if you like those you'll like this.

Militia - I recommended this one (and a bunch of other obscure stuff) back on page 41 of this thread so I won't say too much more here. It's a great game to play in short bursts, it has two modes which each have their own units, and it's good at adapting the difficulty of its layouts based on your win/loss ratio.

Megabyte Punch - There was a demo for this that I played long before it came to Steam. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember being bored and disappointed. It could have very well been changed significantly since the last time I played it since it's been so long, but I definitely wasn't impressed by it at the time.

Pharaoh Rebirth - It's a fun action platformer with a lot of variety and a ton of secrets. It's divided into levels, but the levels themselves have the somewhat open exploration of a Metroidvania and you can use abilities found in later levels to get secret stuff in previous levels. It's a solid game all around and I'd recommend it, especially for its current sale price.

140 - This is a strange, experimental, and fairly short platformer. Like with Megabyte Punch it's been a while so I don't remember too many specifics, but I did enjoy it. It would be a bit of an edge case at full price, but I'd say it's worth buying for its current price unless you're running low on funds.

OVIVO - I've only played about half an hour of this so far so I can't comment on the game as a whole. I liked it, but I also felt like it took too long to start adding to its basic gimmick and the early levels were starting to wear thin right around the time it picked up a bit. If you want a trippy game with a mostly monochrome aesthetic I would recommend Expand and especially Circa Infinity over this one.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm finally getting around to buying things for myself and my cart is a little too big right now. Here's what it looks like now:

Tempest
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine (Skip all DLC?)
Fallout 4
Wolfenstein: TOB
Dying Light
Crysis Collection (Crysis, Warhead, and Crysis 2 for $11)
Civil War: 1861
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Vietnam '65

I guess I only need one of the 3 strategy games. Help me randomly pare this down! :)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

victrix posted:

I can't speak for Starpoint Gemini Warlords (I'd love to hear what others think, it's on my "maybe" list), but I'd give Everspace maybe 6.5/10 at the moment.

The good is that the moment to moment gameplay of kitting out your ship and shooting dudes in a pretty environment is fun. It looks good, plays reasonably well, and does a good job with the risk/reward, resource scarcity and fighting the RNG with your loadout just the way you'd expect from a roguelite - it's not the most complicated system but it works well enough.

The bad is that the overall progression feels way too slow to me. I felt like I was making real progress through the first few hours learning experience, but at six hours in I don't think I've really made any progress further through the game in the past three or four hours. The perks level up too slowly and the drop rate for useful blueprints is too low, so there's no real difference between my 5th run and my 15th. There's a bit of a difficulty wall where the game started throwing harder enemies (in area 3) pretty regularly, and the game just hasn't been forthcoming with the tools to deal with them reliably at all. There's not really enough content variety to keep me coming back to the early game, although I have seen a few glimpses of cool things in the later zones (usually immediately before being blown up by an alien that can shrug off my entire missile supply).

BirdOfPlay posted:

I'm finally getting around to buying things for myself and my cart is a little too big right now. Here's what it looks like now:

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine (Skip all DLC?)
Fallout 4
Dying Light
Crysis Collection (Crysis, Warhead, and Crysis 2 for $11)

I guess I only need one of the 3 strategy games. Help me randomly pare this down! :)

I can only speak for these four, but here goes:

Space Marine is a really fun ork stomping simulator, but don't going in expecting anything more than a satisfying third person action game. It has all the usual pitfalls of the genre (six inch rocks you can't step over, linear environments, arbitrary equipment limitations) and a poo poo story, but drat does it feel good to unload your bolter into a crowd of nasties and then smash the survivors in the face with a giant hammer. Skip the DLC, I think it's mostly for the multiplayer which I assume is completely dead.

Fallout 4 is a pretty good open world fps, but as a fallout game it's kind of disappointing. The RPG mechanics have been stripped and the story isn't good. The world is charming as ever and there's some really cool things hidden around, but be prepared for very limited roleplaying options. If you're looking at the DLC, Far Harbour is far and away the game's best content, Nuka World is bad.

Dying Light is fantastic, and you should definitely get it. Smash some zombies, save some people, get eaten when you weren't paying attention to the sun.

Crysis is pretty good, and it's hard to argue with all those for $11.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

victrix posted:

Have the same question. What I've found is that both are good games and each has something the other didn't offer as well or at all.

Everspace is apparently a really polished arcade space game with story and RPG elements. If you're looking for bite sized space combat that looks really good, this is your game.

Warlords does more than Everspace, but its combat is lackluster because of a screwy camera. There is a lot more to do here though, if you can get past the quirks.

I personally like space combat, and warlords does not appear to have enough of the other Xs to push me over the edge. I think I'll be going for Everspace.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Thanks Dr. Angela Ziegler for a free skull!

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010
Aquaria is only $2.50 on Steam, if for some reason you don't already own it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

twitch and spasm posted:

Aquaria is only $2.50 on Steam, if for some reason you don't already own it.

This is easily one of my favorite Metroidvanias.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's Ecco with a big boobed anime girl?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I wouldn't say big boobed, and it's way more complicated than Ecco.

I know people love that game but I found it visually confusing and pretty frustrating.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deformed Church posted:

I can only speak for these four, but here goes:

*snip reviews*

Thanks for this. I can dig the disappointment in FO4 compared to the previous ones, but the free weekend last month really sold me on it. I actually like the changes to make it more actiony/shooty, because I always felt a disconnect in the guns because of the first person perspective. The new leveling system just doesn't really click.

I've been eyeing Dying Light for a while, and the "Dead Island but good" really sold me on this. Only difficulty is that it's the most expensive item I'm looking at.

That's exactly what I was expecting out of Space Marines, but I don't know if that's something I need right now. I'm probably going to chop it, again. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. :sigh:

PantsBandit posted:

It's Ecco with a big boobed anime girl?

You have low criteria for "big boobed anime girls".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I forgot about this but somebody posted an interesting article on hidden gems on Steam:

http://www.nition.co/2017/06/finding-hidden-gems-on-steam/

It's a method where games with relatively low ammount of reviews but high ammount of positive ones are listed. There's still a lot of crap there but also some really good games. The article has links to various lists with working links taking you directly to the Steam store.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^I saw that earlier, but didn't read far enough to get to the actual suggestions section of the article.

As for Hidden Gems or games that I feel deserve more attention, my own personal suggestions would be the following so far...

1. StarCrawlers - Take various contract assassination jobs for Weyland-Yutani as you level up Gray Fox and his friends in this fantastic first person dungeon crawler.

Oh, how I love the sweet smell of old school first person dungeon crawling in the morning! And this time, it's where no one can hear you scream; Space! With great aesthetics, (this game is crisp!), infinite semi-procedurally generated quests, interesting classes (scratch your Metal Gear Solid itch by playing a Cyber Ninja!), various factions of Weyland-Yutani-esque Corporations, solid first person turn based combat, branching story paths, and new game +, this game is a gem. And the Dev's here are quality too. With tons of community interaction, this was a super smooth, model Early Access development process. Having started Early Access a few years back the dev's have been working consistently towards a highly polished release which just happened this May. This is a game that I hope everyone takes a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBLsm5haqs

2. Stories Untold - Incredibly atmospheric Stranger Things-vibed text-based horror game with a twist!

This was a game that found it's way into my cart while I was researching horror games, I initially removed it when I was trying cut my cart down because I had found a free demo on GOG and figured I'd try that first. Well I got about 15 minutes into the demo before I got too creeped to continue and decided the developer deserved my money. This is more than just your standard text-based horror game. It uses a highly effective overlay where you type things into an old 1980's era computer among other things. It's really atmospheric and I highly encourage everyone take a look at it. And it even has a free demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5f7DJzbipw

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 2, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Palpek posted:

I forgot about this but somebody posted an interesting article on hidden gems on Steam:

http://www.nition.co/2017/06/finding-hidden-gems-on-steam/

It's a method where games with relatively low ammount of reviews but high ammount of positive ones are listed. There's still a lot of crap there but also some really good games. The article has links to various lists with working links taking you directly to the Steam store.

I see a bunch of hidden object games in the list, which tend to be usually non-offensive time wasters that are great to gift to mom.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'd like a game I can turn my mind off and listen to music/Youtube and just grind out levels and/or loot.

I do have a good amount of the good ARPGs already. Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Titans Quest Anniversary, Victor Vran, Borderlands 1 & 2.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I picked up Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Really enjoying Dragonfall so far, the story is great. Any recommendations for similar RPGs? :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OhFunny posted:

I'd like a game I can turn my mind off and listen to music/Youtube and just grind out levels and/or loot.

I do have a good amount of the good ARPGs already. Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Titans Quest Anniversary, Victor Vran, Borderlands 1 & 2.

Well there's always Realm Grinder...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El_Molestadore posted:

I picked up Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Really enjoying Dragonfall so far, the story is great. Any recommendations for similar RPGs? :)

Tyranny?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

monster on a stick posted:

I see a bunch of hidden object games in the list, which tend to be usually non-offensive time wasters that are great to gift to mom.
Well, it did lead me to discover Hidden Folks: http://store.steampowered.com/app/435400/Hidden_Folks/

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

OhFunny posted:

These aren't arpg in the least, but my go to youtube/twitch watching games are

Elite: Dangerous

Euro Truck or American Truck Sim

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I both love and hate you fucks for recommending Dungeonmans, already logged 12 hours on this.

Is there any more of these light roguelike games? I have ToME, it's OK but never hooked me like Dungeonmans and I have Dragon Fin Soup on the PS4.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AceClown posted:

I both love and hate you fucks for recommending Dungeonmans, already logged 12 hours on this.

Is there any more of these light roguelike games? I have ToME, it's OK but never hooked me like Dungeonmans and I have Dragon Fin Soup on the PS4.

You could always try DoomRL (it's free) or Sproggiwood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AceClown posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer, Sproggiwood, One Way Heroics, Dungeons of Dredmor....

Also Caves of Qud when you're ready for something more complicated.

e: Here's my big ol' post of roguelikes I like posted earlier.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Crypt of the Necrodancer looks and sounds cool. Took a little to get used to, but it was pretty easy to get through the first two zones.
I will never finish the game. I just cannot get anywhere in zone 3. Out of like 70 attempts, i got down to level 3-2 only twice. I've been trying for days and just not getting anywhere.

Shame about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Sivek posted:

Morrowind's biggest issues are that its old and ugly and clunky. For example, even though combat is pretty much the same as the following games, it relies on "dice rolls" for whether your attacks connect or not. Like you're in first-person view swinging an axe and your axe hits the enemy but it actually misses because the game calculates a dice roll for it.

Morrowind is much more of a rpg than skyrim and oblivion in how what you do has an effect on things. Whether you like it or not will probably depend on if you have played a lot of older rpgs or at least have a tolerance for them. I'd have a hard time imagining someone that doesn't or hasn't played a bunch of older rpgs not being turned off by the looks and how combat initially works.

People talk about Morrowind's problems like they were a product of the time it was released, but I definitely remember buying Morrowind in like, 2003 and finding almost everything really clunky and confusing then too. But it was still really fun to wander around collecting books and talking to elves

• Locked thread