Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The measured, conciliatory style of leadership pioneered by leaders like Obama and Hollande has worked out so well, can't see why Macron isn't emulating them more.

What are you talking about, Obama was incredibly fond of government overreach with expanding the NSA and assassinating people abroad without a trial and what not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Macron is styling himself after US presidents like Kennedy, as well. That's why he's doing this imitation State of the Union address tomorrow.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Belgian posted:

Groen overtaking Spa is pretty lol. Now we just need Pvda akso overtaking Spa, that would be extremely good and cool.

EDIT: One thing that needs to go better is Open VLD needs to fail harder though.

Groen always polls way above their actual results, sadly. Open VLD isn't going down because the N-VA and CD&V keep fighting over whatever austerity the nationalists want to push through, so the actual liberals stay out of the picture.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

And I would like to congratulate the US democrats in this thread and everywhere else who have been horribly obnoxious in their support of said authoritarian. FYI his program that you literally shout us to "READ" because "IT WAS BETTER THAN LE PEN'S PROGRAM" basically translate into "DEFUND THE FRENCH HEALTHCARE* SYSTEM THAT IS BETTER THAN OBAMACARE" and "gently caress THE POOR".

*includes planned parenthood.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toplowtech posted:

And I would like to congratulate the US democrats in this thread and everywhere else who have been horribly obnoxious in their support of said authoritarian. FYI his program that you literally shout us to "READ" because "IT WAS BETTER THAN LE PEN'S PROGRAM" basically translate into "DEFUND THE FRENCH HEALTHCARE* SYSTEM THAT IS BETTER THAN OBAMACARE" and "gently caress THE POOR".

Tell me what you think would have been better about Le Pen :allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fishmech posted:

Macron wasn't the only choice to beat Le Pen you simpleton.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really remember seeing many people who supported Macron in this thread, just people who said that you should vote for him over Le pen in the second round

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Toplowtech posted:

Are you accusing me of being a Democrat

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

forkboy84 posted:

Macron wasn't the only choice to beat Le Pen you simpleton.

Tell me about the magical second-round candidate you could vote for that wasn't Le Pen or Macron! I really want to hear about this alternate universe you inhabit, and how you manage to post into this one!

What's your point of divergence by the way? Is there already a sixth republic which mandates the second round be held between three candidates? Was it merely amended into how the fifth republic works?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

fishmech posted:

Tell me about the magical second-round candidate you could vote for that wasn't Le Pen or Macron! I really want to hear about this alternate universe you inhabit, and how you manage to post into this one!

What's your point of divergence by the way? Is there already a sixth republic which mandates the second round be held between three candidates? Was it merely amended into how the fifth republic works?

The point of divergence is people treating Macron as the saviour of Franco-European democracy vs the lovely last resort to prevent fascists from getting ownership of the institutions of state.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

fishmech posted:

Very disingenuous of you, fish. But at least you're proving Toplowtech's point about obnoxious Americans.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Who wouldn't be better, you mean. That's why you do not have to give a blank check and name anyone fighting her THE SAVIOR of the world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toplowtech posted:

Who wouldn't be better, you mean. That's why you do not have to give a blank check and name anyone fighting her THE SAVIOR of the world.

I don't see how anyone gave Macron "the savior of the world" besides bitter little faux-leftists doing so sarcastically, as they insisted on splitting harder in both the legislative and presidential elections, friend.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

I don't see how anyone gave Macron "the savior of the world" besides bitter little faux-leftists doing so sarcastically, as they insisted on splitting harder in both the legislative and presidential elections, friend.
Well go tell that to president Jupiter Maximus, he is currently ranting about "those who are nothing". It's his version of les "sans dents" i guess. If he keep that line of discourse and apply his program, I will either see civil war or Le pen will be elected on the first tour of the next cycle with 50+% of the vote.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toplowtech posted:

Well go tell that to president Jupiter Maximus, he is currently ranting about "those who are nothing". It's his version of les "sans dents" i guess. If he keep that line of discourse and apply his program, I will either see civil war or Le pen will be elected on the first tour of the next cycle with 50+% of the vote.

I don't recall anyone in this thread calling him up and saying "Manny, bro, you should totally market yourself as a cut-rate hybrid of Napoleon, De Gaulle, and Steve Jobs after you win".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

I don't recall anyone in this thread calling him up and saying "Manny, bro, you should totally market yourself as a cut-rate hybrid of Napoleon, De Gaulle, and Steve Jobs after you win".
You loving called for the largest amount of people to vote for him, wrongly assuming:
1) he wouldn't win if you didn't
2) he wouldn't go loving crazy as gently caress at over 60%
Well, you were wrong on both case sadly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toplowtech posted:

You loving called for the largest amount of people to vote for him

Because if the largest amount of people voted for Le Pen instead, Le Pen would win. That's how elections with literally only 2 people allowed work. Sorry that the way second round elections work somehow mystifies you?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Because if the largest amount of people voted for Le Pen instead,
Which most of the French posters in the thread told you was unlikely to happen. "But my abuela!!! " said the scared as gently caress democrat "You better vote Macron your french fuckers!!!!!!!!!!" And now things are starting to go to poo poo anyway (and honestly most french posters would tell you, it's also hardly a surprise). But i am sincerely sorry if i make you feel bad. Also no, i perfectly understand how the two rounds system work, i just think your kind of trans atlantic neo liberal bullshit noise is what made things worse by pushing the balance over the 60%. If you just need to know I just spent a few days with my fellow frenchmen and women suffering from heart failure and other heart disease and let's say, bitterness was involved.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 2, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Which most of the French posters in the thread told you was unlikely to happen. "But my abuela!!! " said the scared as gently caress democrat "You better vote Macron your french fuckers!!!!!!!!!!" And now things are starting to go to poo poo anyway (and honestly most french posters would tell you, it's also hardly a surprise). But i am sincerely sorry if i make you feel bad. Also no, i perfectly understand how the two rounds system work, i just think your kind of trans atlantic neo liberal bullshit noise is what made things worse by pushing the balance over the 60%.

I fail to see how anything would be different if Macron won with 56% or something like that

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Andrast posted:

I fail to see how anything would be different if Macron won with 56% or something like that
Considering the master of communication is currently loving his image up with insanely arrogant "misspoken sentences" and comparison to roman gods a shorter victory may have taught him a little humility. But you are right i may be wrong. The french legislative system is hosed up and made it worse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Andrast posted:

What would be different is these types whining "if only you hadn't caused the French to vote for Macron at over 55%" instead of "over 60%".

Toplowtech posted:

Which most of the French posters in the thread told you was unlikely to happen. "But my abuela!!! " said the scared as gently caress democrat "You better vote Macron your french fuckers!!!!!!!!!!" And now things are starting to go to poo poo anyway (and honestly most french posters would tell you, it's also hardly a surprise). But i am sincerely sorry if i make you feel bad. Also no, i perfectly understand how the two rounds system work, i just think your kind of trans atlantic neo liberal bullshit noise is what made things worse by pushing the balance over the 60%.
Yes, because most of the French voted for Macron instead. Which seems to have angered you, that the French did what other people also agreed would be the best thing to do, since the literal only choice was between Macron and Le Pen - due to the fact that French leftists were useless wastes who couldn't manage to get any one candidate into the second round.

I don't really get why you're melting down and shrieking at Americans for this? I didn't vote for this and no one even bothered to ask for this, the French did it themselves:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

I don't really get why you're melting down and shrieking at Americans for this?
I am a Frenchman, that's what we do: constantly telling American not get involved in French affairs and happily blaming them for our own gently caress up when they took the wrong (generally our) side.
But i will be honest: the perception that the US democrats were pushing behind macron and are kinda responsible for that poo poo is spread enough. Like you needed that poo poo i guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 2, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

I am a Frenchman, that's what we do: constantly telling American not get involved in French affairs and happily blaming them for our own gently caress up when they took the wrong (generally our) side.
But i will be honest: the perception that the US democrats were pushing behind macron and are kinda responsible for that poo poo is spread enough. Like you needed that poo poo i guess.

sounds like you are one of those who are nothing, peon :smug:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

sounds like you are one of those who are nothing, peon :smug:
Could be worse; i could be Hollande 2.0 startup edition.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
When Trump visits Europe, y'all had better give him the welcome he deserves.

(I expect at least the constant drone of vuvuzelas)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
take notes americans, you should have your deplorables moment after you win elections

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

take notes americans, you should have your deplorables moment after you win elections
Also only :derp: about the elections during the month after the election too when the "deplorables" tirade crush your spirit.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Expect an insane level of security.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 2, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just give him an orb and a cool mobility scooter

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Toplowtech posted:

Reminder, Fishmech humiliated himself during the American election by being an arrogant gently caress endlessly mocking Sanders supporters and reveling in the inevitable victory of Queen Clinton. Since then, like a lot of chickenshit democrats he's gotten an unusual fixation on the French politics I never saw from him before because it seems to be the last, best hope for his brand of dead end liberalism that lets him continue to act like a smug piece of poo poo towards leftists which is a lot less easy in somewhere like Britain or America where Liberals are in a state of catastrophe.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

Just give him an orb and a cool mobility scooter

Macron is gonna give him a new Statue of Liberty. With his face on it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khwarezm posted:

Reminder, Fishmech humiliated himself during the American election by being an arrogant gently caress endlessly mocking Sanders supporters and reveling in the inevitable victory of Queen Clinton. Since then, like a lot of chickenshit democrats he's gotten an unusual fixation on the French politics I never saw from him before because it seems to be the last, best hope for his brand of dead end liberalism that lets him continue to act like a smug piece of poo poo towards leftists which is a lot less easy in somewhere like Britain or America where Liberals are in a state of catastrophe.
I'm sorry, you're really dumb enough to think Sanders is leftist? He's literally a neoliberal like you claim to hate. He has massive support for neoliberal policy and platforms and you should surely be smart enough to notice that.

In order to render him a leftist, one must declare the Bill Clinton and Tony Blair administrations to also not be neoliberal.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 2, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cugel the Clever posted:

(I expect at least the constant drone of vuvuzelas)

I remain in favour of a nuclear first strike.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I remain in favour of a nuclear first strike.
Hasn't Warsaw been through enough?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's Krakow's turn. Two direct hits.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Juncker is pissed at the European Parliament:

quote:

STRASBOURG, France — European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker berated the European Parliament on Tuesday, calling the body “ridiculous” and accusing it of showing a lack of respect for smaller countries after only tiny fraction of MEPs showed up for a speech by the Maltese prime minister.

“I salute those that have taken the trouble to be in the room,” a visibly furious Juncker began his remarks to the largely empty chamber in Strasbourg. “The European Parliament is ridiculous, very ridiculous,” Juncker said. “The fact that about 30 MEPs are seated in this debate is enough to show that the Parliament is not serious.”

Juncker’s sharp rebuke sparked a multilingual clash with Parliament President Antonio Tajani, who angrily defended Parliament, saying it controlled the Commission not the other way around, At first, Tajani implored Juncker in Italian: “I beg you to have a respectful behavior.”

Juncker, who slapped the air angrily with his hands as he spoke, was having none of it. “There are only a few members,” he shot back at Tajani, switching to English from French. “There are only a few members in the plenary to control the Commission. “You are ridiculous! I want to pay tribute to the Maltese.”

Tajani pushed back, now switching to French, perhaps so Juncker would understand him better. “I ask you to use different language,” he said lamely. “We are not ridiculous!”

As each man landed his rhetorical blows, a weak smattering of applause echoed in the mostly empty hemicycle. The first debate of the day was to supposed to be a review of Malta’s recently-completed six-month presidency of the Council of the EU. Instead, it became an unseemly inter-institutional fight.

(...)
But Juncker’s fury over the the fact that perhaps just 30 of the 751 MEPs managed to attend the plenary for the speech by Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat apparently overwhelmed his normal efforts to portray the bloc as working in tight cohesion for the benefit of European citizens.

Juncker was clearly unhappy as he sat in a seat near the well of the hemicycle, his chief of staff, Martin Selmayr, perched behind him, and an array of papers, a croissant, coffee and water on the table in front.

The video of the session shows far more staff members than MEPs in attendance, with only four MEPS clearly visible among the scores of seats visible to the cameras.

It might help if the European Parliament had some more responsibilities maybe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fishmech posted:

Yes, the alternative universe where before the second round comes the first round.

Christ, you're like Pissflaps with a stupid American accent.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
sure Juncker, you kill all the tax havens still in the loving EU and you can have your theater

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

sure Juncker, you kill all the tax havens still in the loving EU and you can have your theater

You are aware of how EU law is made, yes?

edit: also

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 4, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

You are aware of how EU law is made, yes?

edit: also

This is targetting individuals and firms that help rich people put their money into tax havens in the Caribbean and Panama, not Ireland, the Netherlands, Hungary, and of course the country that Juncker was finance and prime minister for like 20 years Luxembourg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

This is targetting individuals and firms that help rich people put their money into tax havens in the Caribbean and Panama, not Ireland, the Netherlands, Hungary, and of course the country that Juncker was finance and prime minister for like 20 years Luxembourg.

And a tax avoidance directive was approved last year which will end a number of special tax avoidance constructions ( "hybrid mismatches" ) in the coming years. Yes, it may be too little and too late or not be enough. But that's not the point. Juncker personally has very little power to accomplish anything more since common action on part of the EU requires the cooperation and assent of the member states since that's what you need to get regulations and directives passed. So to dismiss Juncker's speecht this morning with some lazy, uninformed, and unpunctuated comment about him not ending tax evasion right the gently caress now adds nothing to the discussion because Juncker would not be able to end tax evasion even if he wanted to.