Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sixers waived Stauskas

Source: A dream I had last night

why would they do this? He's a dirt cheap backup who played slightly ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Paperback Writer posted:

3. Lebron has a home in LA and didn't it just come out that he won't play for the Clippers

Yeah and it got tagged with wild racist poo poo

Also Savannah said she likes LA

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Ramadu posted:

the suns should do something good this offseason

They didn't sign Paul Millsap and they offered Alan Williams a four year deal. So far so good imo.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm extremely excited for Rudy Gay to sign with okc https://twitter.com/JShawNBA/status/881381231686033408

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

DeimosRising posted:

I think that was the expectation. I remember seeing it lots of places and from multiple people here. I was certainly expecting more than 16 and I'm not convinced he didn't give them a bit of a sweetheart deal like Livingston. PJ Tucker is getting 1 mil less per year than Livingston and more years.

People were throwing that around, but the only reasoning that I heard on various podcast is that rich people are competitive and are willing to waste money to hurt GSW. It is incredibly naive, and they prob watched too much soap operas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remaining Wing UFA free agents on the market are:
-Rudy Gay
-CJ Miles
-Kyle Korver
-Tyreke Evans
-Luc Mbah a Moute
-Thabo Sefolosha
-Omri Casspi
-James Johnson
-Kyle Korver
-Gerald Henderson
-Mike Dunleavy
-Ian Clark
-Nick Young
-Dion Waiters

I mean, the free agent pool is pretty bad if Nick Young is unironically one of the best players left. Not counting minimum/wink-wink minimum guys like Manu or Tony Allen.

And don't look at what Bigs are left. It's basically everyone and no one wants them at above the MLE outside of like two people.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
It looks like the Spurs not only might not get any new pieces in free agency but might keep their second star that is incredibly unhappy playing with the franchise.

I think this off season is even worse than that one where everyone said there was no way Richard Jefferson was going to opt out and then he opts out and then the Spurs just sign him for longer.

I guess Pau is a repeat of that one, except Pau was actually good until the end of the year.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I guess Serge can stop his handwringing now. I think

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881540776768880641

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I read that a lot of GMs think that's actually a five-year deal, FWIW

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Thibs getting the gang back together

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/881542012008370176

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lit

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I knew Thibs couldn't help himself even though that team could use a stretch four

Taj rules though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Derrick Rose back on a 1+1 now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

So the order of contracts matter and nothing has been signed yet.

This is correct. They are keeping Curry's hold, Livingston's, and Iggy's. The sign Durant first with their cap space (he needs to take a small discount to fit, that is why he is the only one "sacrificing"), then everyone else can be signed using the cap space. They'll get everyone to agree to the deals in whatever order but when it gets reported to the league it'll matter in what order.

I'm almost positive this is not what's happening. With Curry, Livingston, Iggy and Durant's hold they are already over the cap. They'd need to renounce Iggy and Livingston in order to get under the cap at all, and even then only by 10 million, and going by the numbers we've seen for their contracts there's no way they're being signed without Bird rights.

I'm all ears to the order of contracts that gets Durant signed without using an exception and then Iggy and Livingston to $16 million and $8 million contracts. I'm also frequently wrong about this poo poo, but I don't really see how it works otherwise. KD's discount will be the Non-Bird contract over his full max (31 million vs. almost 35 million).

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raps possibly getting Lowry and Ibaka for less than 30 mil a year each is great considering the contracts that are getting signed and what people expected. On the other hand they still have Casey and not much shooting so they'll still get owned in the second round.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

I'm extremely excited for Rudy Gay to sign with okc https://twitter.com/JShawNBA/status/881381231686033408

Wait how could Golden State possibly be in on Rudy Gay unless Durant is out?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did the warriors use their exceptions yet?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait how could Golden State possibly be in on Rudy Gay unless Durant is out?

They had Bird rights on everyone else so they should still have the MLE

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Durant should sign with OKC, that'd be cool

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
1 CJ Miles, 1 Rudy Gay, and 1 Ty Lawson, please.

I've got an MLE, a BAE, a veteran exception, a small TPE, and a little cloudy marble.

leftist heap posted:

I'm almost positive this is not what's happening. With Curry, Livingston, Iggy and Durant's hold they are already over the cap. They'd need to renounce Iggy and Livingston in order to get under the cap at all, and even then only by 10 million, and going by the numbers we've seen for their contracts there's no way they're being signed without Bird rights.

I'm all ears to the order of contracts that gets Durant signed without using an exception and then Iggy and Livingston to $16 million and $8 million contracts. I'm also frequently wrong about this poo poo, but I don't really see how it works otherwise. KD's discount will be the Non-Bird contract over his full max (31 million vs. almost 35 million).

yeah the Warriors are operating as an over-the-cap team and using Durant's non-bird rights to give him a lil raise on a 1+1. This is as opposed to last season when they renounced Barnes, traded Bogut into Dallas' space and signed Durant using space. With the cap holds they'll have on the books, the Warriors won't be a cap space team again until this run is over. That deal for Iguodala will require a pretty painful or maybe just financially costly decision in 2 years (lol) with the repeater tax and Klay's designated player extension hitting simultaneously.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

leftist heap posted:

IIRC They have bird rights on Iggy and Livingston so them and Curry will get done last.

And for KD he signs into his own cap hold for less than the hold itself.
The Warriors are only like 2 mil over the cap right now even with everyone's cap hold in place

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if the warriors break the cap rules steve kerr will pay for kevin durant himself

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

IIRC They have bird rights on Iggy and Livingston so them and Curry will get done last.

And for KD he signs into his own cap hold for less than the hold itself.
The Warriors are only like 2 mil over the cap right now even with everyone's cap hold in place

What am I missing as to why KD won't just take his full cap hold? Just to save the owner money?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

EvanTH posted:

Durant should sign with OKC, that'd be cool

Not as cool as LeBron signing with OKC, then beating the Durant Warriors.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

What am I missing as to why KD won't just take his full cap hold? Just to save the owner money?

Actually yeah he could just do that.

Mostly the cap hold is a complete non factor when you know the player is going to re up with you. So long as you don't gently caress up the order of operations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Michael Corleone posted:

From what I heard, Durant taking below his max lets the warriors sign Iggy and Livingston using bird rights and still be able to use their exceptions. Him taking the max means they have to let one of them go no matter what.

Durant taking 4 less million basically changed their entire summer plans. NBA Cap math.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Great signing. TWolves are going to be a fun team to watch this season. Might have to get league pass again. RIP Ballstreams.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard a rumor Spo fixed Justice's jumper

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
If the Raptors get both Ibaka and Lowry on 3 year deals for under $30M I think that's pretty good. Length is what made me hesitant, but 3 years sounds about right.

Sucks losing PJ but I obviously get why he'd choose Houston.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Taj no

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Michael Corleone posted:

I'm almost positive he IS just taking his full cap hold. That IS the discount. The discount is $4 million to stay with the team at all, since they would (practically) not be able to sign him to his full max anyway. That's it. I don't think there are any other considerations there.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Taj had good chemistry with Russ in the playoffs and I'm still mystified as to why his minutes were so low.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

he's gone friend. but look over there: it's z-bo. just imagine him playin' and scrapping around with steve.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gobias Ind. posted:

If the Raptors get both Ibaka and Lowry on 3 year deals for under $30M I think that's pretty good. Length is what made me hesitant, but 3 years sounds about right.

27x3 for Lowry would be a coup. It also puts him, Demar, and Ibaka all on the same schedule as the Raptors crest over their nominally competitive period and ease into building the Delon-Poeltl era Raptors.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

he's gone friend. but look over there: it's z-bo. just imagine him playin' and scrapping around with steve.

Jesus that would own so much

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

At least you still have McBuckets. Now let's remember the best moment of the Taj Gibson OKC era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8NGkLSA6w

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881526846562553857

Please find a way

xbilkis posted:

At least you still have McBuckets. Now let's remember the best moment of the Taj Gibson OKC era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8NGkLSA6w

Yes

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/881551920200126464

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lmfao, I totally forgot about that insane buzzer beater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Bogut is gonna gamble away half of Ingles' new contract.

https://twitter.com/benfti2k/status/881368948901462017

https://twitter.com/andrewbogut/status/881369650780438528

• Locked thread