Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wimpy borgs are just trying to sell them on earbuds and iphones though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
What if... Flandersverse is where TNG Season 1 takes place?! :aaaaa:

And it stands to reason that Evil Universe has its own Eviler mirror, where everyone the character that one rear end in a top hat played at your high school D&D game.

You know the one.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Presumably the Caretaker also replaced a good chunk of the prime crews with whimp universe Voyager/Maquis crew.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The wimpy universe was the one Picard created in Tapestry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

After The War posted:

What if... Flandersverse is where TNG Season 1 takes place?! :aaaaa:

And it stands to reason that Evil Universe has its own Eviler mirror, where everyone the character that one rear end in a top hat played at your high school D&D game.

You know the one.

Oh, the one that invisibly loots all the treasure ahead of us in the chamber, and we can't say poo poo because our perception rolls are so bad it just looks like vanishing gold?

Or who bolts your character's hand to the wheel of a sinking ship with your own sword, and then takes a torch to the sails on the way out just for a little extra spice?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So disappointed now that TNG never had an episode where Data was "broken" and gibbered and snarled like the broken Kryten from that episode.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

At least that universe had an edible cup noodle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MY BEARD IS EVERYWHERE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I finished reading issues 1 & 2 of mirror broken and I can't wait for swolepicard to backhand weasley when he tells that kid to shut up.

"SHUUUUT UP WEEEEEASLEY"

Ahahaha, Mirror Wesley taking fashion cues from Sid Vicious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McSpanky posted:

Ahahaha, Mirror Wesley taking fashion cues from Sid Vicious.

At least he looks like a normal teenager there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did he recently lose a lot of weight or something? What's with him wearing a potato sack?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Did he recently lose a lot of weight or something? What's with him wearing a potato sack?

No bus upholstery in the mirror universe for teens to wear

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, the one that invisibly loots all the treasure ahead of us in the chamber, and we can't say poo poo because our perception rolls are so bad it just looks like vanishing gold?

Or who bolts your character's hand to the wheel of a sinking ship with your own sword, and then takes a torch to the sails on the way out just for a little extra spice?

Yes, and yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The mirror universe comics all look like they're wearing high kink leather/pvc.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

The mirror universe comics all look like they're wearing high kink leather/pvc.

The mirror universe is an extremely horny place

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Bloop posted:

No bus upholstery in the mirror universe for teens to wear

Lots of pleather Camaro seats though

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's with MirrorData being half borg?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Duh, in the other universe he's not half Borg

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I may be mixing things up but I think I remember it being he wants to become less human because he knows he's better than them so he adds on things that are better than what he was given.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

You'd think in the mirror universe instead of Data you'd just have Lt. Cmdr. Lore. Soong would obviously feel like he nailed it on the first try and never bother with Data.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Mylan posted:

You'd think in the mirror universe instead of Data you'd just have Lt. Cmdr. Lore. Soong would obviously feel like he nailed it on the first try and never bother with Data.

Perhaps Lore tried to kill him and he murdered him instead of putting him in storage because it's the mirror universe?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kibayasu posted:

I may be mixing things up but I think I remember it being he wants to become less human because he knows he's better than them so he adds on things that are better than what he was given.
Goddamn that is metal as gently caress.

I assume he serves Evil Starfleet because they have some killcode or poo poo on him?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I asked my old-school Trekker dad what he thought about Discovery. I consider him an authority as he's got Trek collectibles going back to the 60s and was part of the letter writing campaign that gave us TOS season 3, so you all better be appreciative.

His opinion is that it looks great. The uniforms are slick and the Walking Dead girl is hot. Bam! OK that's my update from 60s Star Trek dad.

He then clarified that true Star Trek is based on (1) slick uniforms (2) big tits and (3) pretty sets with lots of color. Discovery might be lacking in the sets but two out of three ain't bad.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Bloop posted:

Yeah definitely. It still might be useful to describe them with terms like sociopathy or whatever to illustrate the way in which their baseline is different from humans but it wouldn't be a disorder if it was "normal" for them. Same with Klingons and anger issues or Romulan paranoia or whatever.
Everything gets described with sociopathy these days! Ferengi, sociopaths. Cardassians, sociopaths. Vulcans, sociopaths. Romulans, sociopaths. Pakled, sociopaths. Betazoids, HORNY sociopaths. Who isn't a sociopath nowadays, Odo?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Star Trek Beyond is streaming on Amazon Prime for now if you've got it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't hate Beyond, but it's probably the best example I can think of right now of a workman-like production and it's still weighed down by the inadequacies of the finished concept.

It's a workable MCU by way of Star Trek movie. There's boring interpersonal conflict, a villain with a bunch of expendable robot-clone-footies that I don't recall being clearly explained, and everything is wrapped in a bow. Beyond does lay out a lot of fun Chekhov's Guns that it uses neatly.

The principal cast remains mostly serviceable in a vacuum but terrible as replacements for the original cast--Shatner and Nimoy are irreplaceable to begin with, but Quinto in particular, in his utter lack of gravitas and the weird, inconsistent way they now write Spock, is just a failure. I honestly don't remember if Karl Urban gets to even be a principal character in this, he's pretty much background in the other two. Pine is OK but amounts to a "whatever sure that's Kirk OK." Beyond that, TOS B characters getting characterization and screen-time is nice.

It's very OK. This is enough to make it easily the best Star Trek movie since 1991.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beyond really is an okay movie. It's not great, but it's also not bad.

Karl Urban doesn't get nearly enough screen time, and that's terrible because while he's no replacement for DeForest Kelley, he certainly does the late actor's legacy justice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Urban gets dramatically more screentime in Beyond than he does in ST2009 and Into Darkness; that was one of his conditions of coming aboard. McCoy's much better in Beyond as a result, I think. He's got a fair few character scenes with both Kirk and Spock.

The plot... well, it kinda shows that they were forced by the studios to really rush the writing and preproduction in order to bring it out for the 50th. I feel like if they'd had a bit longer to polish they could've worked the themes and the exposition and the drones in better.

They hosed around with Orci and his apparently godawful script and directorial plans from mid-2013, then dumped him at the start of 2015. Pegg and Lin started basically from scratch in January 2015 and shooting started in June. As a result everything was really rushed; they had to use pickup reshoots to bring it together but there's a limit to what you can do with that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 2, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Honestly Beyond was fun, but did have the classic expensive blockbuster problem of having to appeal to as wide an audience as possible to be considered a success. Most of the worst parts of it were holdovers from the style-over-substance JJ era.

The writing was immensely improved from the first two (and not just in a "felt like Star Trek sense), but they were still stuck with having to make a bug budget cgi action movie with a cast that was picked mostly for their looks and star power.

Pine is... fine, but Quinto and Saldana (and their horrible romance) are just bad. Uhura is a really thin character that didn't gain anything from becoming generic action chick and needed so much more work to become a viable lead. Peg wrote himself a decent part and Urban actually got something to do, but Checkov and Sulu were once again just sort of there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Duckbag posted:

but Checkov and Sulu were once again just sort of there.

Well yeah, they had to be faithful to something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Well yeah, they had to be faithful to something.

:gowron:

Orv
May 4, 2011
:colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Oh boy! Shirtless Trek! :dance:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spincube posted:

Oh boy! Shirtless Trek! :dance:

I'm ready

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow, okay, does Kirk wax?

I figured Vulcans would have meticulously groomed body hair, like really neat little patches to match the shiny bowl cuts.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Manscaping is illogical.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Duckbag posted:

Peg wrote himself a decent part and Urban actually got something to do, but Checkov and Sulu were once again just sort of there.
I kind if like that Checkov was becoming a kind of sassy protoKirk. All the charm and swagger without any of the burdens of leadership, and balanced by juuuuust enough nerdy earnestness.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

They hosed around with Orci and his apparently godawful script and directorial plans from mid-2013, then dumped him at the start of 2015.

Paramount is still loving around, but apparently that script has been resurrected for a potential fourth movie. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

Paramount is still loving around, but apparently that script has been resurrected for a potential fourth movie. :suicide:

What? Since when? I thought that Pegg and Jung were writing a script based on a JJ Abrams pitch that involves Chris Hemsworth coming back as Kirk's father somehow?