Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Jason King a while ago and Richard Hurndall had a supporting part in one episode, and I was like, "Goodness me, is that William Hartnell?" It was pretty uncanny - they looked really similar when they weren't in make-up or wigs or anything, but when they each played the First Doctor, it didn't quite work. Might have been the voice. They sound sort of similar but didn't quite match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's definitely the voice, I think. It's always been kind of funny to me that Hurndall sounds so much like someone trying to say Hartnell with a mouth full of something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely the voice, I think. It's always been kind of funny to me that Hurndall sounds so much like someone trying to say Hartnell with a mouth full of something.

THE DOCTOR WHO PRODUCTION OFFICES, 1983:

John Nathan-Turner: "We could get...I dunno, who's that guy? The kinda knock-off William Hartnell?"

"Richard Hurndall?"

JNT: "Exactly! Yes! Get him!"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Weren't there hints/speculation that Susan showed up in this series (aside from the photo on the Doctor's desk in episode 1).

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

"So, we managed to successfully bring the Mondasian Cybermen back in a creepy episode that really highlighted the horror of them. Now what? That stupid Iron Man flight would be good, right?"

So much for being able to escape them just by going up some stairs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I think I said this earlier but yes, the Cybermen are very much sidelined in the story. Think about how they were mishandled in Death in Heaven and how big of a deal they made of the original Daleks coming back two years ago despite just being background props.

:colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Unironically looking forward to the Chibnall era after this garbage.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Imagine someone lying, on the Internet!

The ignore function was practically invented for PriorMarcus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rochallor posted:

Imagine someone lying, on the Internet!

The ignore function was practically invented for PriorMarcus.

He wasn't lying though. The Mondasian cybermen were absolutely sidelined for the newer models in part 2.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did you miss the part where one of the main characters was a Mondasian Cyberman the entire episode?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He absolutely was dead on.

We went from the start of a good Cyberman story, to just another Evil Robots story with Bill the Cyberman included.

Not a huge fan of that what so ever, and I'm even more annoyed that we didn't get to see more of Bill AS a Cyberman and her dialogue. The sing song voice is just inherently more interesting and more engaging than the loud evil robot voice.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

gently caress it, we had an amazing cyberman (origin) episode. the following episode, while being great, wasn't a great cyberman episode (purely because the weren't defeated with gold?) doesn't take away from last weeks episode.

I really need to listen to Spare Parts again.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The emotional crux of the episode was Bill dealing with being converted, what that meant for how people reacted to her and her life going forward, and the Doctor dealing with the fact that he'd failed to protect her and couldn't undo it. That's not really the Cybermen being sidelined in the story or it becoming another Evil Robots story, it's a whole episode of "father must see my uniform."

Though yeah, it'd have been more effective if there'd been more of the Cyberman suit and voice intercut with Pearl Mackie playing Bill throughout.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if Big Finish will ever try to bring Bradley in as the 1st Doctor, or if they'll keep on with the impressions of Purves and Russel and all.

There's at least precedent with Treloar as 3.

Edit: also I find it interesting the Big Finish just recently put out a story dealing with the 1st Doctor's reluctance to regenerate in the second 1st Doctor Companion Chronicle set

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 2, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He wasn't lying though. The Mondasian cybermen were absolutely sidelined for the newer models in part 2.

A Mondasian Cyberman killed the freaking Doctor!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Good boner joke though

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah sorry, I'm just not seeing this as a bad or sidelined Mondasian Cyberman episode. The existential horror of Bill was some of the deepest examination of cyberconversion to date. They were a clear and present threat, and even though they upgraded they kept the old ones til the end.

jivjov posted:

I wonder if Big Finish will ever try to bring Bradley in as the 1st Doctor, or if they'll keep on with the impressions of Purves and Russel and all.

There's at least precedent with Treloar as 3.

Edit: also I find it interesting the Big Finish just recently put out a story dealing with the 1st Doctor's reluctance to regenerate in the second 1st Doctor Companion Chronicle set

I am all for this, though Purves impression is pretty good and I have no issue with him stlll doing it. Russell's is OK, but I think some Bradley eps would be better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astroman posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm just not seeing this as a bad or sidelined Mondasian Cyberman episode. The existential horror of Bill was some of the deepest examination of cyberconversion to date. They were a clear and present threat, and even though they upgraded they kept the old ones til the end.

I am all for this, though Purves impression is pretty good and I have no issue with him stlll doing it. Russell's is OK, but I think some Bradley eps would be better.

The big reveal about who the new Doctor is for next season... is The First Doctor!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just loop around again. Matt Smith is the 2nd Doctor!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Just loop around again. Matt Smith is the 2nd Doctor!

Actually Reece Shearsmith played Troughton in An Adventure in Space and Time so if we're looping around...

He'd probably make a good Doctor too. Shame he was so prominent in Sleep No More, not that that necessarily stops his casting...

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Stabbatical posted:

Actually Reece Shearsmith played Troughton in An Adventure in Space and Time so if we're looping around...

He'd probably make a good Doctor too. Shame he was so prominent in Sleep No More, not that that necessarily stops his casting...

The real reason Gatiss wouldn't take over as showrunner was so he could prepare for his inevitable stint as the 14th Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only problem with inter-cutting more of the sing-song voice/Mondsian Cyberman design is that it means Pearl Mackie basically wouldn't have gotten to act at all in what may very well be (functionally) her last episode (my guess is that she'll be in the Christmas special, but sort of like how Clara is in Heaven Sent).

Gonna be a loooong six months. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It would have been cool if they did takes of all her scenes with the Cyberman stand in and the singsong voice, and then released them as clips or had an alternate cut on the DVD where you could watch the episode like that though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I still want to hear a Cyberman saying 'Ohhhhh good-o'.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Mirror, so grain of salt, but this has the ring of truth to it: Clara is likely to come back for a quick goodbye in the Christmas special, probably similar to Amy's goodbye for Eleven.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd be fine with that

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I would like that, even more so if they use it to retcon the Clara who met the First Doctor when she went into his Timestream. I always liked the idea that particular Clara was the post-raven Clara who had finished her travels with Ashildr and had returned to Gallifrey to die. That also means that the Doctor stole the same Tardis twice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've been sort of hoping that the Doctor's messing around in New York back in the Christmas special was foreshadowing for Karen Gillan coming back. I'd love a quick scene of Amy encountering the Doctor looking nothing like her Raggedy Man but still recognising him. Jenna Coleman would be cool too of course, and if true I wonder how she'll fit in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On set photo:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"Which one is mine?"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
what happened to the multiple regenerations into multiple doctors thing
is that this christmas

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Bicyclops posted:

The Mirror, so grain of salt, but this has the ring of truth to it: Clara is likely to come back for a quick goodbye in the Christmas special, probably similar to Amy's goodbye for Eleven.

Oh fantastic.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

12: And who are you?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jivjov posted:

On set photo:

There's something oddly heartwarming about seeing the 'original' TARDIS. Almost as if the door will open and Pertwee or Tom will pop out, and it'll be the 70s again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Payndz posted:

There's something oddly heartwarming about seeing the 'original' TARDIS. Almost as if the door will open and Pertwee or Tom will pop out, and it'll be the 70s again.

Just how did you think Tom Baker was actually getting around nowadays? :v:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Payndz posted:

Nice to see one not repurposed into a hotdog stand

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just how did you think Tom Baker was actually getting around nowadays? :v:

He sails round and round the Isle of Wight until everyone gets dizzy, then heads for home.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

He sails round and round the Isle of Wight until everyone gets dizzy, then heads for home.

God drat. :golfclap:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The rumours that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the next doctor is flaring up again due to Newsnight of all things.

I'd be fine with that. Fleabag is a fantastic program and now that Lord and Miller have been fired from the Han Solo movie, she's the only part i'm interested it.

One interesting thing to note is that her birthmark(?) Is roughly the same position as the part of the Capaldi's forehead when bill cried on it. (Sorry for YT Screenshot, i coldn't find a better version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
It's been denied, though I guess that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
https://twitter.com/lizo_mzimba/status/882585721382592512

Would love to see this actually turn out to be true!

• Locked thread