Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Trip report: Thargoid crash sites are cool as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I have a few questions about wingmen. I know profits are given as a dividend on trade. Is that trade missions or just straight buying and selling?

If they accept the same trade mission can i carry supplies and both get payout?

Can they get a cut of the payout if its for a passenger transport too?

Is there a difference in payout if they physically help pilot your ship or another fighter on the ship?

Also how relevant is the op in terms of best ways to make space money?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, I was already planning on nosediving into random parts of rings to avoid pirates at the mining sites. Thanks guys!

Joke's on you they spawn on top of you anyway and if you had to relog for some reason so you have some ore they're gonna make you dump it

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Trip report: Thargoid crash sites are cool as gently caress.

Can confirm.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If any of you PS4 goons want a Hotas 4 at half price, I have one for sale https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825662. I used it one time before swapping to my CH products hotas.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Krycek posted:

If any of you PS4 goons want a Hotas 4 at half price, I have one for sale https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825662. I used it one time before swapping to my CH products hotas.

As long as it's in good condition (and from the pictures it does look good as new) that's a hell of a steal for a controller that is, in every single imaginable way, far better for playing the game than a PS4 controller. I used the poo poo out of the PS3 version, a good 800+ hours worth of use and it STILL works. I just wanted something with a little more.

The only weak part is that the joystick itself has a bit of slop to it and it would've been nice if it had another hat switch. It's still a shitload better than a gamepad though.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
what's the general feeling on the longevity and continued dev support on the PS4 version?

it's gonna be some time before i can build a new PC after my last one croaked and a HOTAS for my PS4 is a much cheaper investment right now.

i dumped about 250 hours into the PC version before i had to stop, i miss that sweet sweet space boy truckin' and see it's a mere 20 quid away from me again.

i actually have the standard/cheap t.flight HOTAS for PC but idk if it'd work on the PS4.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

Yes, this one!

Note: the ai got smarter about mines. :(

I'm really glad people are still getting some use out of the guide I wrote. I'm going through and updating it now, to strike out poo poo that doesn't apply anymore. Most of it still seems 100% applicable though.

If you want to learn about space magic and fitting your ship out with phat purpz, this is the guide for you: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Sundowner posted:

what's the general feeling on the longevity and continued dev support on the PS4 version?

it's gonna be some time before i can build a new PC after my last one croaked and a HOTAS for my PS4 is a much cheaper investment right now.

i dumped about 250 hours into the PC version before i had to stop, i miss that sweet sweet space boy truckin' and see it's a mere 20 quid away from me again.

i actually have the standard/cheap t.flight HOTAS for PC but idk if it'd work on the PS4.

I believe that all three versions get updates at the same time since it's kind of a shared universe.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

boz posted:

I believe that all three versions get updates at the same time since it's kind of a shared universe.

so wait. does that mean PC progress carries over/between or will i be starting fresh because if so... jesus, my Clipper <3

edit: just did the googling and found you can't transfer saves. that's such a bummer.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Game should last as long on PS4 as it does on PC. There is a better-than-zero chance that the next season of updates won't be console-compatible, however.

PSVR would be dope af, but since there are frame rate issues on the PS4Pro already, I'm guessing it's a nonstarter.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a better-than-zero chance that the next season of updates won't be console-compatible, however.

Eh? What would they add that wouldn't work on a console?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Aethernet posted:

Can confirm.

Yeah!

I love the camera suite but I wish the blur stuff was a little easier to control.

Also I just got around to modding the gently caress out of my iCourier. Got it over 700m/s boost now. I just dropped into a station and hit the boost and by the time I could stop I was half way inside the station. You drop like what, 7km+ away? :stare:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The blur effect is really cool but I've yet to figure out its use beyond on/off. It doesn't seem to scale well with large ships.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Aethernet posted:

The blur effect is really cool but I've yet to figure out its use beyond on/off. It doesn't seem to scale well with large ships.

It's just not clear where your point of focus is at any point. If you could specify a point to focus on it would be so much better. It's really annoying trying to get your ship to be in focus and the background blurry. Messing with the camera zoom level also changes the focus point too. I mean this is Frontier we're talking about its amazing it works at all :v:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'm really glad people are still getting some use out of the guide I wrote. I'm going through and updating it now, to strike out poo poo that doesn't apply anymore. Most of it still seems 100% applicable though.

If you want to learn about space magic and fitting your ship out with phat purpz, this is the guide for you: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

It really helped me make sense of engineering, thank you!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Blur makes it fuzzy, focus counteracts it but is based on distance.

It seems to not work as well on large ships because you have to set the focus so far out to keep the whole ship in frame that it doesn't effectively blur the ship background. Works great for close ups, though:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 3, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Also I just got around to modding the gently caress out of my iCourier. Got it over 700m/s boost now. I just dropped into a station and hit the boost and by the time I could stop I was half way inside the station. You drop like what, 7km+ away? :stare:

Speed ships are good fun. Some day I'll make one again.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Blur makes it fuzzy, focus counteracts it but is based on distance.

It seems to not work as well on large ships because you have to set the focus so far out to keep the whole ship in frame that it doesn't effectively blur the ship background. Works great for close ups, though:

The camera's a bit wonky on the big ships in general but especially on the points in the bridge that you're currently not able to move around. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to get the people I had in a multicrew session in my Corvette so you could see them all and not have the FOV go crazy but I just couldn't do it.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
This game really lets you take some awesome screenshots with the new tools:

Goat-Xihe is finally a reality :swoon:

The old Python still lookin good after all this time.

As does the Vulture!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

This game really lets you take some awesome screenshots with the new tools:

Goat-Xihe is finally a reality :swoon:

The old Python still lookin good after all this time.

As does the Vulture!

:neckbeard:

I love how your python looks like it has the WW2-style kill-stencils under the name. :sicknasty:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I just got this game on PS4, and after finally navigating to the first system it asked me to, and docking in my first station, it gave me a follow up quest to a system that I am completely unable to get to in HMSS Shitstain (as in the galaxy map is unable to find a route, as jump range is too far from any other system), with cargo that stops me from going into super cruise (too heavy or something? Idk, I am confused by it).

So I had to abandon it, and it gave me a fine that means I now have less money than what I started with.

Is this normal or did I mess something up?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dravs posted:

I just got this game on PS4, and after finally navigating to the first system it asked me to, and docking in my first station, it gave me a follow up quest to a system that I am completely unable to get to in HMSS Shitstain (as in the galaxy map is unable to find a route, as jump range is too far from any other system), with cargo that stops me from going into super cruise (too heavy or something? Idk, I am confused by it).

So I had to abandon it, and it gave me a fine that means I now have less money than what I started with.

Is this normal or did I mess something up?

The routing is like that in the beginning, yes. You'll sit at a single-digit jump range and everything will suck. You get around this by getting a lucky kill on a pirate ship (preferably while the police is shooting at it too) or doing horrible missions until you can afford a frameshift upgrade (and/or a different ship).

As for cargo keeping you from super cruising, I'm guessing you're referring to being “mass locked”? That's not your cargo — that's you being too close to a massive object to be allowed to frameshift. This happens near all stations and planet surfaces and you get around it by just flying farther away.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Tippis posted:

As for cargo keeping you from super cruising, I'm guessing you're referring to being “mass locked”? That's not your cargo — that's you being too close to a massive object to be allowed to frameshift. This happens near all stations and planet surfaces and you get around it by just flying farther away.

They may also be referring to the fact that, in the mission screen, you usually check the map and set course, THEN accept the mission and, because you now have cargo onboard, your jump range may have been reduced to below that neccessary to make the jump that you previously set.

In one of the tabs in the galaxy map, near the bottom, you can set your cargo weight and the map will calculate the route accordingly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

:neckbeard:

I love how your python looks like it has the WW2-style kill-stencils under the name. :sicknasty:

Each of those is 6 marks, so have fun doing the math as you count them up.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Got this for regular PS4 last night, my first Elite game ever. Put in about 3 hours and like it so far - nice and atmospheric, and flying around and docking is challenging and super fun in a flight-simulatory sort of way. Framerate is good but I'm getting some really awful screen tearing - weirdly it's not visible yawing, but rolling causes a little bit and pitching up and down holy crap it's the worst I've seen on PS4. Hope a patch fixes it cos it's kinda ruining the game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Version 1.03 for PS4 is now live. It's supposed to fix some issues with v-sync and screen tearing.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm pretty Jew to this and got some really easy delivery missions paying 100k+ and might get a Cobra. Y/n?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm pretty Jew to this and got some really easy delivery missions paying 100k+ and might get a Cobra. Y/n?

Shalom to this thread!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ratjaculation posted:

Cobra is a beast. It's the first legitimately good all-round spaceship you get imo. Never say no to the co, brah.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Cobra is a beast. It's the first legitimately good all-round spaceship you get imo. Never say no to the co, brah.

Cobra III also gets a spaceweed paintjob if you don't mind shelling out realbux

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Colonial Air Force posted:

Each of those is 6 marks, so have fun doing the math as you count them up.
What, do you have something against poly-dactyl people? :mad:

It'd be cool if the nameplate was procedurally generated, but considering just how many lives the Frank Exchange has taken, the entire thing would be hashmarks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

What, do you have something against poly-dactyl people? :mad:

It'd be cool if the nameplate was procedurally generated, but considering just how many lives the Frank Exchange has taken, the entire thing would be hashmarks.

Tallies being in blocks of 5 has nothing to do with fingers.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rapacity posted:

They may also be referring to the fact that, in the mission screen, you usually check the map and set course, THEN accept the mission and, because you now have cargo onboard, your jump range may have been reduced to below that neccessary to make the jump that you previously set.

In one of the tabs in the galaxy map, near the bottom, you can set your cargo weight and the map will calculate the route accordingly.

If the error message is "Jump exceeds fuel usage of XXX" that means your ship is too fat to jump. A frame-shift drive has a "max fuel used per jump" stat -- anything beyond that and it won't jump. The only way you'll see this message is if you plot a valid course, then somehow change how much your ship weighs, normally by loading in more cargo. Replot the route in the galaxy map and you'll be fine.

If it says something about "Mass Exceeded by XX times" that means you're too close to another ship, one bigger than yours, that's interfering with your drive. Move away from it, and that will stop.

Finally, if you're too close to a planet, station, or star you will also get an error preventing you from jumping. In your lower right corner of your HUD, there's a "MASS LOCK" indicator. If it's lit up, you're too close to some massive source of gravity (Star, Planet, Station, Capship). Move at least 6km away and you should be fine.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm aware this is the kind of game where you very much have to make your own goals and stuff but have many features been added in the last nine months or so? The last time I checked they had just added landing on planets but nothing to do on them, and they had teased a crafting system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

Version 1.03 for PS4 is now live. It's supposed to fix some issues with v-sync and screen tearing.

It definitely does, I've noticed it's gotten significantly smoother.

Took a mission to retrieve some salvage, but after I got it I got blown up by pirates and lost it. There was a warning on the mission that the goods were unique and could not be recovered, and sure enough they aren't in my inventory any more and I wasn't able to find the signal source they came from again after respawning. Is this mission impossible to complete now? Can I do anything with it besides abandon?

I was also able accept a mission to a system my current ship is not capable of reaching. And I once got assigned to a landing pad that already had a ship on it (and the station fined me 400 credits for trespassing when I canceled the docking request to retry it). Pretty rocky start so far.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

It definitely does, I've noticed it's gotten significantly smoother.

Took a mission to retrieve some salvage, but after I got it I got blown up by pirates and lost it. There was a warning on the mission that the goods were unique and could not be recovered, and sure enough they aren't in my inventory any more and I wasn't able to find the signal source they came from again after respawning. Is this mission impossible to complete now? Can I do anything with it besides abandon?

I was also able accept a mission to a system my current ship is not capable of reaching. And I once got assigned to a landing pad that already had a ship on it (and the station fined me 400 credits for trespassing when I canceled the docking request to retry it). Pretty rocky start so far.

If they assigned you a pad, push that other nerd out of the way. It's STC's fault, after all. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

I don't know. I've been a fan of the Viper IV since it came out. But that's maybe because I dislike turning into a giant hit-me-now target when turning, so the Cobra III has fallen out of favor with me. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If they assigned you a pad, push that other nerd out of the way. It's STC's fault, after all. :colbert:

I actually tried that, the ship on the pad didn't move and I got an angry radio message about maintaining separation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If you have flight assist on you stop at 0 throttle just as fast as you would with full reverse.

• Locked thread