Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of Immortal Redneck, anyone have a screenshot of the full skill tree? I restarted since on my first profile I'd spent gold willy-nilly without realising that the more you've spent on the entire tree, the more expensive purchasing anything gets, so I want to make sure I plan my purchases a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I know I used to play a modded version Wolfenstein 3D in the Doom engine, but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it. Help?
I don't remember the name of that thing off the top of my head but I'm sure you'll find it if you poke around the ZDoom forums. That said, ECWolf is what you really want. Wolf3D has some quirks that you can't really emulate with Doom so a mod will never be as authentic as a version of the real engine. ECWolf is a "backport" of a lot of ZDoom features into Wolf3D.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RyokoTK posted:

The incremental stat level-ups really help ensure you aren't roadblocked too badly for too long.

I'm a bit torn on it. Part of me really likes that system and I love the progression but the other part of me hates that you can never really do a pure non-upgrade run. The latter is a very small part of me though.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Speaking of Immortal Redneck, anyone have a screenshot of the full skill tree? I restarted since on my first profile I'd spent gold willy-nilly without realising that the more you've spent on the entire tree, the more expensive purchasing anything gets, so I want to make sure I plan my purchases a bit better.

I don't but it's honestly not a huge tree. I went and unlocked all of the characters as soon as possible, if you put one point into anything you can see whatever is next to it. The whole tree can be uncovered in like 3-4 runs.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm a bit torn on it. Part of me really likes that system and I love the progression but the other part of me hates that you can never really do a pure non-upgrade run. The latter is a very small part of me though.

I don't but it's honestly not a huge tree. I went and unlocked all of the characters as soon as possible, if you put one point into anything you can see whatever is next to it. The whole tree can be uncovered in like 3-4 runs.

It's very similar to Rogue Legacy's progression system, though I haven't played enough of Immortal Redneck to know whether it's handled better. I enjoyed Rogue Legacy until it became clear that it was balanced so you had to grind through hundreds of deaths before you had any chance of victory. Hopefully Redneck isn't as brutal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

You should also check out Cubeface21 on Twitch. He kicked this off with his recent habit of casually playing old obscure FPSes through, then trying to speedrun them. He's also been doing Kingpin (gently caress YOU gently caress!!!!) and just recently started seeing if Soldier of Fortune is speedrunnable.

...I like to watch a lot of dumb old FPSes on Twitch while I make dumb new FPS mods. :shobon: Speaking of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNLNQHGETPo

I've been following Cubeface for some time already (I'm a huge speedrun fan), so I'll recommend you Corpseflesh while we are at it. He speedruns Quake 1/ 2/3/4, Doom 3 and some other games like Wolfeinstein 2009, The Witcher games etc...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I had everything visible on my save but reset and want to make sure I beeline for double-jump first but I've forgotten where that was, which is why I'm asking.

In other news, I got to within one hit of killing the pyramid 1 endboss on my first run on this new profile. :rip: It's definitely a game where knowledge and skill matter more than the stat boosts you get from the skill tree, because I never even saw floor 3 for the first 5-6 runs when I first started playing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 1, 2017

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I know I used to play a modded version Wolfenstein 3D in the Doom engine, but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it. Help?

Were you thinking of WolfenDoom?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

playing through Alien Vendetta for the 20th time and goddamn if it isn't just the best out there

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

It's very similar to Rogue Legacy's progression system, though I haven't played enough of Immortal Redneck to know whether it's handled better. I enjoyed Rogue Legacy until it became clear that it was balanced so you had to grind through hundreds of deaths before you had any chance of victory. Hopefully Redneck isn't as brutal.

I just finished the final pyramid and in under 20 total deaths (there's an achievement for doing that). It's definitely nowhere nearly as difficult as Rogue Legacy and I did the final pyramid on my first attempt. Prioritize damage over survivability with your upgrades and you'll do okay.

It's too bad there's no Endless mode where you take upgrades as you progress, but apparently there's something like that on the roadmap so maybe we'll get there some day. Right now there's nothing to do once you win except delete the save and start over.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bongo Bill posted:

Doom 4 Doom is the mod to use if vanilla isn't doing it for you, I believe.

I'd go ahead and recommend D4T which is by DBThanatos, one of the modders of Doom 4 Doom. It aims to streamline Doom 4 Doom.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Both D4D and D4T are good. D4D is good for map packs with longer maps while D4T is great for those with smaller and more compact ones. Then again, it depends on how involved you want to be.

I play D4T more since I actually play with DBT on fridays anyway.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tfw an ad posted on tumblr flings you back in time to remember something you'd forgotten

I played a coverdisk demo way back in the day, but from the reviews it looks like I was good to save my money :o:

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Re: Mortyr: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/64.html

The ruins of Old Man Murray definitely belongs in this thread. http://oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

let us bow our heads in remembrance of all the lovely classic fps games that have been lost to history

mortyr

requiem: avenging angel

the hit quake 1 total conversion Malice

uuuh

the one that was on mars or some other kind of red coloured space bases called like, gorre or fisture

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

juggalo baby coffin posted:

let us bow our heads in remembrance of all the lovely classic fps games that have been lost to history

mortyr

requiem: avenging angel

the hit quake 1 total conversion Malice

uuuh

the one that was on mars or some other kind of red coloured space bases called like, gorre or fisture

Are you thinking of Gore: The Ultimate Soldier? it definitely belongs on that list, but it isn't set on mars

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Requiem Avenging Angel eventually managed to claw its way onto Steam and GOG, ready to be inflicted upon fresh generations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I thought Requiem Avenging Angel was one of those cult classics that was generally, if not well regarded than decently regarded. Certainly no Operation Bodycount (Corridor 7 was great though).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Certainly no Psychotoxic.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
What I really liked about Half-Life 1 was the cohesive feeling of the whole thing. Apart from the Xen section the whole game is really ONE big level, all part of this huge underground base, and your goal isn't initially to destroy the aliens or anything it's just "you're a normal guy who went to work and now you need to get out." The glimpses of the surface, the detours back into the facility, it all felt very real.

Half-Life 2 managed to keep that cohesive, continuous narrative feel well also, while naturally expanding on it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

I thought Requiem Avenging Angel was one of those cult classics that was generally, if not well regarded than decently regarded. Certainly no Operation Bodycount (Corridor 7 was great though).

Yeah it's actually a pretty fun game that combines magic powers and conventional weapons in a way that (at the time) was still pretty novel. Especially since many of the powers let you gently caress around a lot, like remotely possessing enemies, or converting them to friendlies (I would end up with a small army of 6-8 NPCs just steamrolling over everything that stood in my way) or turning them into pillars of salt that dissolved in the wind in a pretty cool fashion.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

BlueberryCanary posted:

Are you thinking of Gore: The Ultimate Soldier? it definitely belongs on that list, but it isn't set on mars

that was the one

also I did not know that requiem was available again, i thought it was lost to history cause it wouldnt run on modern hardware or something. I know i looked for it a while back.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a definitive list of lovely fps from like 1998-2002 that might be on the steam sale? I want to try out some garbage

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

My favorite thing about the PC Gamer quote was that it cuts out the part where the review says "It is little more than..." and then shits all over the game. :v:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Someday KISS: Psycho Circus will get the sequel we all deserve.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is there a definitive list of lovely fps from like 1998-2002 that might be on the steam sale? I want to try out some garbage

Goddamn, I was going to recommend Pariah and Star Trek: Elite Force but neither is available digitally anywhere that I could find. Weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For some reason I actually beat and mildly enjoyed Pariah.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think Codename: Outbreak / Venom might be on Steam.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nition posted:

What I really liked about Half-Life 1 was the cohesive feeling of the whole thing. Apart from the Xen section the whole game is really ONE big level, all part of this huge underground base, and your goal isn't initially to destroy the aliens or anything it's just "you're a normal guy who went to work and now you need to get out." The glimpses of the surface, the detours back into the facility, it all felt very real.

Half-Life 2 managed to keep that cohesive, continuous narrative feel well also, while naturally expanding on it.

Half-life 1 is a very, very good adventure (especially when considered in its own time), the gun-play just isn't necessarily all that important for it. (Except for a few key scenes like shooting down a helicopter, etc.) I love firing the Magnum to this day, but my memories are Counter-strike having oomphier guns as a whole. Half-life 2 went whole hog with emphasizing story telling above all else, and the feel of most of the guns is kinda crappy, except for the uranium bolt sniper rifle. They really loved the gravity gun as a design element, and I will say that chopping down zombies with saw blades was a really fun shooter experience, moreso than mowing down endless Combine dudes with the plinky machine gun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So Impie of Strange Aeons (amongst others) fame has a gameplay mod for Heretic called Karnak. It's a science-fantasy/Heavy Metal/He-Man kinda thing that's rather neat. It also changes up the textures too, to give the levels a different feel.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

star trek elite force is ACtually Good even if star trek sucks.

kiss psycho circus i was doing a write-up for this thread about, but the game just like struck me with a crushing depression and I had to stop playing it after the second episode.

theres one weird sub-genre of shooter games that I like a lot, which is the weird third- or first-person vehicular shooter.

games like uprising, forsaken, recoil, tread marks, descent, battlezone. Uprising and battlezone had weird RTS elements too, like command and conquer renegade did.

i suppose you could fit most of the mechwarrior and heavy gear games in that category if you wanted, but mechwarrior always felt more like a sim game to me.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

theres one weird sub-genre of shooter games that I like a lot, which is the weird third- or first-person vehicular shooter.

games like uprising, forsaken, recoil, tread marks, descent, battlezone. Uprising and battlezone had weird RTS elements too, like command and conquer renegade did.

i suppose you could fit most of the mechwarrior and heavy gear games in that category if you wanted, but mechwarrior always felt more like a sim game to me.

There's also Hard Truck Apocalypse series, which IIRC was started by a Russian developer reusing assets from a couple ValuSoft big rig racing games they made. Basically Privateer/Freelancer but with battle trucks.

Less than a buck right now, worth a few hours IMO, but you might/will likely need to mess around with a fan patch to make it run on modern systems.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285500/Hard_Truck_Apocalypse__Ex_Machina/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

that was the one

also I did not know that requiem was available again, i thought it was lost to history cause it wouldnt run on modern hardware or something. I know i looked for it a while back.
The digital release is modified in some way to run with modern versions of DirectX, and includes an nGlide wrapper for hardware acceleration. You could probably use dgVoodoo to do a better job, but I kind of have dgVoodoo on the brain lately from using it to fix up Outlaws, Shogo, Carmageddon 2 etc. recently. Great wrapper for getting wonky old Windows games to work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riux7cdH2IY

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

kiss psycho circus i was doing a write-up for this thread about, but the game just like struck me with a crushing depression and I had to stop playing it after the second episode.
I can... sort of understand this. I remember the entire aesthetic of that game being incredibly off-putting. Never-ending stretches of hazy colored fog and brown brick textures...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

david_a posted:

I can... sort of understand this. I remember the entire aesthetic of that game being incredibly off-putting. Never-ending stretches of hazy colored fog and brown brick textures...

yeah it was basically just game induced seasonal depression. for a band with such a like, bombastic aesthetic they sure went with the most boring, miserable poo poo. also the enemies were all circus themed but it was like, the darkest dingiest places ever.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

catlord posted:

So Impie of Strange Aeons (amongst others) fame has a gameplay mod for Heretic called Karnak. It's a science-fantasy/Heavy Metal/He-Man kinda thing that's rather neat. It also changes up the textures too, to give the levels a different feel.

Gave this a run and the crossbow is really fun to use. The basic starting magic beam is pretty cool, though.
I really like Impie, he's creative and does a lot of jumping around from stuff to stuff--it's difficult to predict what he'll make next.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing i appreciate about immortal redneck is that no matter what weapons i find or what classes i use, nothing feels overpowered compared to the others in the slightest. even the starting loadout holds up to the rest. the upgrades also don't feel like they're absolutely needed, just there to help slowly guide players further into the game over time if they're not the best in the world at it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

star trek elite force is ACtually Good even if star trek sucks.
Nah, Star Trek is good

Voyager kinda blows, though, and guess what Elite Force is based on? (...but it's still good in spite of being based on Voyager. Apparently the sequel, which is more TNG-based, isn't as good as the first one is, though I never owned it to say.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I enjoyed TOS and TNG when I watched them but on the whole I'm ready to say Star Trek sucks the big one.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That game was fun stuff, I've still never seen Voyager (and I'm on season 6 on TNG, gonna finish it one day!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

a thing i appreciate about immortal redneck is that no matter what weapons i find or what classes i use, nothing feels overpowered compared to the others in the slightest. even the starting loadout holds up to the rest. the upgrades also don't feel like they're absolutely needed, just there to help slowly guide players further into the game over time if they're not the best in the world at it.

The default shotgun is real wimpy and the dynamite takes too long to throw, though.

The shotgun just needs to be replaced with the Doom shotty.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2017