Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was talking to my adult friends in a diner about how pointless a live action / CG Beauty and the Beast is. And soon after a family left the restaurant and their little 5 year old girl was just staring at me.

I felt a real fat sack of poo poo.

edit: more so

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Rocky reviews:

Rocky - A classic and a best picture winner. Solid film. Definitely watch it.

Rocky 2 - Pretty good. Only watch it if you loved the first.

Rocky 3 - Silly as hell and very 80s. Mr. T is the bad guy and the beach frolicking scene is a classic of 80s cheese. Skip it if you want to.

Rocky 4 - Required viewing by all Americans. If you want to see the cultural zeitgeist of Regan era America this is a better satire than American Psycho and RoboCop because it's so unashamedly sincere.

Rocky 5 - Even huge Rocky fans know this one blows. Don't watch.

Rocky Balboa - This one is all about the context of seeing the previous movies and Stallone's career itself. Has more of an impact if you've seen all of the movies and you love the character. Otherwise it won't do anything for you.

Creed - Excellent movie if you've seen Rocky 1-4. Can't imagine it being very interesting if you haven't.

First Blood - Classic

Rambo: First Blood Part 2: Has nothing to do with the heavy story of a PTSD-addled psycho veteran from the first movie. He's now basically a terminator and he goes back to Vietnam for revenge with hilarious results.

Rambo 3: see review of Rocky 4

Rambo (IV): Holy poo poo: The Movie

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Rocky 3 - Silly as hell and very 80s. Mr. T is the bad guy and the beach frolicking scene is a classic of 80s cheese. Skip it if you want to.

Rocky 4 - Required viewing by all Americans. If you want to see the cultural zeitgeist of Regan era America this is a better satire than American Psycho and RoboCop because it's so unashamedly sincere.

Ranking them in this order is a commonly held wrong opinion. Rocky 3 is superior.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Rocky 3 is a fun gay romp through the 80s. Like Top Gun.

Rocky 4 is literally the best advertisement for hot dogs and bbq grills and giant cars ever made. It's America The Movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocky reviews:

Rocky Balboa - This one is all about the context of seeing the previous movies and Stallone's career itself. Has more of an impact if you've seen all of the movies and you love the character. Otherwise it won't do anything for you.

Creed - Excellent movie if you've seen Rocky 1-4. Can't imagine it being very interesting if you haven't.

First Blood - Classic

Rambo: First Blood Part 2: Has nothing to do with the heavy story of a PTSD-addled psycho veteran from the first movie. He's now basically a terminator and he goes back to Vietnam for revenge with hilarious results.

Very good rankings

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

quote:

This one gave me PTSD

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Creed is good even if you've never seen a Rocky, the gently caress is wrong with you.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

I was talking to my adult friends in a diner about how pointless a live action / CG Beauty and the Beast is. And soon after a family left the restaurant and their little 5 year old girl was just staring at me.

I felt a real fat sack of poo poo.

edit: more so

She was probably trying to figure out how to subscribe to your review service.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rocky reviews:

First Blood - Classic

I agree with all of this.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rocky 3 is a fun gay romp through the 80s. Like Top Gun.

Rocky 4 is literally the best advertisement for hot dogs and bbq grills and giant cars ever made. It's America The Movie.

I guess that's fair.

Rocky III is something akin to a real movie, with a complete narrative arc, and lots of schlock elements that are very well integrated. Rocky IV is pure schlock through and through.

Also, Eye of the Tiger is a better song than Burning Heart.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I guess that's fair.

Rocky III is something akin to a real movie, with a complete narrative arc, and lots of schlock elements that are very well integrated. Rocky IV is pure schlock through and through.

Also, Eye of the Tiger is a better song than Burning Heart.

HEARTS ON FIRE

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yug posted:

HEARTS ON FIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAtBVRFD_Zg?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Paladinus posted:

Nah, he proceeded to tell me about some Transformers mobile game where you can play as Optimus Prime from the cartoon, which was better than the movie.

Wow only 6 years old and already out of the closet.... Brave!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lurdiak posted:

Creed is good even if you've never seen a Rocky, the gently caress is wrong with you.

Yeah that's what I was going to say, I think my most prominent thought coming out of Creed was "wow, this is much better than it needed to be". It would be solid movie even if Stallone was just playing a character we'd never seen before, adding the history and meta-context of Rocky is just icing on the cake.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love Rocky. I don't know why, but I have to watch it alone. Just doesn't feel like a group movie.

It's the most trite thing by now to say that 'Rocky isn't a boxing movie', but it's true. I think most people that hate it are waiting for the boxing to start and that'll ruin it. Or they are generally just intolerant of slow burn movies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rocky reviews:

First Blood - Classic

And what about Italian Stallion?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I HATED the obvious CGI fights in Creed. Like you could tell the crowd stuff was all green screened in , really took me out of it. Stallone was excellent in it.

Warrior has ruined other sports movies for me , that was so so good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Why doesn't Hollywood just get a bunch of hicks and pay em 5 bucks plus catering to stand around yelling their heads off.

We spent 150 million loving dollars either way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I HATED the obvious CGI fights in Creed. Like you could tell the crowd stuff was all green screened in , really took me out of it. Stallone was excellent in it.

I didn't notice that at all. Is it the first fight? The first fight in the movie is excellent. The whole thing is one flowing over-the-shoulder shot. I was super disappointed when the climactic fight was shot like a lot more like a standard boxing movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqSSHmr8bR4

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPb7g_BlXQ

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't notice that at all. Is it the first fight? The first fight in the movie is excellent. The whole thing is one flowing over-the-shoulder shot. I was super disappointed when the climactic fight was shot like a lot more like a standard boxing movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqSSHmr8bR4

Um, defense of any kind is illegal in boxing in the Rockyverse, those guys should have been disqualified.

Nah that was real good. They struck a nice balance by making it an action fight without it being as comical as Rocky 3/4.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Rocky IV is just depressing because you watch and realize it's 30 years later and we still don't have cake serving maid robots. It's sad how little technology has progressed since 1985.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schweinhund posted:

Rocky IV is just depressing because you watch and realize it's 30 years later and we still don't have cake serving maid robots. It's sad how little technology has progressed since 1985.

posted from my telephone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't notice that at all. Is it the first fight?

Yeah all the crowd here is CGI. It was super obvious to me in the cinema. I like the idea but the background really took me out of it.

It's not a great movie but Southpaw had really good boxing cinematography.

Warrior is still the gold standard. I know it's MMA but it's definitely the best fight cinematographer I've ever seen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fun fact, Rambo III was dedicated to the Taliban.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah he teams up with them. That was when they were the good guys. Maybe in 20 years ISIS will be our pals. Here's hoping.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah he teams up with them. That was when they were the good guys. Maybe in 20 years ISIS will be our pals. Here's hoping.

The remnants of ISIS will get funded, armed and trained by us to help fight against... whoever we're funding, arming and training right now? The Kurds maybe? And so the cycle continues.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

counterfeitsaint posted:

The remnants of ISIS will get funded, armed and trained by us to help fight against... whoever we're funding, arming and training right now? The Kurds maybe? And so the cycle continues.

The Kurds are bros and should have their own state

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You got my cyclical political commentary in my movie thread???

*runs off to trump thread for rlm talk*

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Rambo 5 was rumored to have him go up against ISIS. I still want it to happen just because Rambo 4 was ultra violent and rad as gently caress.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 2, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapo go on Best of the Worst

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I would watch a 70 year old Stallone pulling out the throats of Isis dudes.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

The Kurds are bros and should have their own state

Last time people said something like that, Israel happened :smugbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rocky IV is so loving good.

He fixes the Cold War by punching really hard a bunch. It's the peak ideal of America.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avirosb posted:

Last time people said something like that, Israel happened :smugbert:

Don't you mean South Sudan?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

WampaLord posted:

Rocky IV is so loving good.

He fixes the Cold War by punching really hard a bunch. It's the peak ideal of America.

Wrong kind of guns :colbert:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't you mean South Sudan?

South...?
Huh, you learn something new every day.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love Creed's entrance to the fight in Rocky IV, which is supposed to be WAY over the top, but maybe unintentially matches the tone of the whole film exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeoHcB9_wss

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

If listening to this doesn't raise goosebumps on your skin, you are a soulless commie bastard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0I-IgfpSEQ

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey, they're drinking a period-inappropriate drink!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adjfTktpIzg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Hey, they're drinking a period-inappropriate drink!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adjfTktpIzg

If the 'period' is the 20th century, yeah. Zima and Blade Runner are like 10 years apart. When Blade Runner premiered, Zima was but a wonderful dream - not yet science fact.

• Locked thread