Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rereading the babys mange book that takes place in the late 20th century, it's technically urban fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zore posted:

Re-read Skin Game. I totally forgot Michael and Charity being uh... way too cool to Harry while under the impression he slept with Molly. I feel like that maybe should have caused a little friction there during the denouement.

Also I really want to read a spin-off starring Harry's two daughters getting in wacky hijinx with Mouse at boarding school.

Why? They're adults. I wouldn't be surprised if they had suspected it would happen for some time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rygar201 posted:

Why? They're adults. I wouldn't be surprised if they had suspected it would happen for some time.

Because Harry is 15 years older than her and had a Teacher/Student relationship with her?

also she's they're daughter and they're pretty big on the whole 'no sex outside of marriage' thing what with being devout Catholics who are incredibly active in both the public and secret parts of the church.

Like that was one of the explicit issues Molly was having with them when she was doing her rebellious teenager thing.

Zore fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 1, 2017

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Finished Declare and wish I had read it sooner, brilliant book, the espionage stuff was more than enough to get me hooked and the whole supernatural bit was great as it was so different to the usual fare you find in urban fantasy.

If you haven't read it yet go out and get it. Great read and I enjoyed immensely more than Last Call.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Amen to that, Declare is awesome. I wish there was more of spy story/UF crossovers; there's Laundry, there's the alt-WW2 trilogy by Trefillis and that's basically it.
Generally it'd be nice to have more UF that uses something else than detective stories as its template... And something else than the tried and true vampires and werewolves for its fantasy bits.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 1, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

jivjov posted:

I got a chance to chat a little bit more at the autograph table. He wouldn't say anything further about Mac, claiming he's "too important", but still maintains that he's revealed a lot about Mac already that we just haven't all picked up on yet.

Not sure I agree with this. It might seem like that from his POV but I can't recall any interactions with Mac that reveal much other than he's a person of importance, with some history.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

vulturesrow posted:

Not sure I agree with this. It might seem like that from his POV but I can't recall any interactions with Mac that reveal much other than he's a person of importance, with some history.

Yeah, I suspect that when Jim says "oh I've told you who he is!" He means that some random line is going to be an "aha!" moment when we read back through the series once Mac's story is explicitly revealed

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I suspect that when Jim says "oh I've told you who he is!" He means that some random line is going to be an "aha!" moment when we read back through the series once Mac's story is explicitly revealed

This is a standard thing for authors of long-running fantasy series, see Robert Jordan and the eternal flamewar "Who killed Asmodean?" question.

(I quit reading that turkey way before the reveal, and I can't even muster the fucks to look it up. Funny, that.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The explanation for who killed asmodean that was in RJ's notes was literally just a printout of a fanfic where sherlock holmes investigates the murder with a sticky note on it that said "this is correct"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Because Harry is 15 years older than her and had a Teacher/Student relationship with her?

also she's they're daughter and they're pretty big on the whole 'no sex outside of marriage' thing what with being devout Catholics who are incredibly active in both the public and secret parts of the church.

Like that was one of the explicit issues Molly was having with them when she was doing her rebellious teenager thing.

One of the things I really liked about Alex Verus is that it avoids the "you're a good person no matter what you do" wish fulfillment fantasy that starts to accumulate in Dresden. Some of his friends just don't forgive him sometimes. Makes his choices a lot more meaningful.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is a standard thing for authors of long-running fantasy series, see Robert Jordan and the eternal flamewar "Who killed Asmodean?" question.

(I quit reading that turkey way before the reveal, and I can't even muster the fucks to look it up. Funny, that.)

The technical answer is/was Graendal. It technically was deducible as early as RJ said it was, but the problem with deductive reasoning in a fantasy series is that you can't actually rule out the impossible -- the best you can ever get is " this is as close as we can get to an answer given what we know so far of the rules of the book universe."

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I was re-listening to Changes and I think Mac's subtle favoritism to Mouse, and Harry's observation that "I guess Mac is a dog person" is a clue to his identity but damned if I can figure out where to go from there.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Mac is also a dog

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
mr. hands but with dogs instead

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rygar201 posted:

Teacher student thing is what does it in my opinion.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Azuth0667 posted:

Teacher student thing is what does it in my opinion.

Teacher/student and the vast difference in age/experience make it a super gross idea to me, too.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The thing that I would find most objectionable with Dresden/Molly isn't the age difference per se, but more that she was in fact literally a child when they first would have met. Like if they had just met as both adults, even with the same age difference, I wouldn't have the same issue as much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hangedman1984 posted:

The thing that I would find most objectionable with Dresden/Molly isn't the age difference per se, but more that she was in fact literally a child when they first would have met. Like if they had just met as both adults, even with the same age difference, I wouldn't have the same issue as much.

In Dresden's defense, this is the number one thing Dresden himself cites as why the idea is gross and wrong to him, too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its also got the issue now that she's in a position of incredible authority over him which fucks up the power dynamic even more. Like if she orders him to do something and he refuses he gets crippled with pain. There is basically 0 chance of any kind of healthy relationship for either of them until/unless they ditch the mantles.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

she was also a child the first few times she tried to have sex with him

I believe (somewhat) butcher isn't planning on ever pairing them up. I also pray that he doesnt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zore posted:

Its also got the issue now that she's in a position of incredible authority over him which fucks up the power dynamic even more. Like if she orders him to do something and he refuses he gets crippled with pain. There is basically 0 chance of any kind of healthy relationship for either of them until/unless they ditch the mantles.

Well, based on the latest molly short story she can't gently caress anything based on faerie law so that throws a monkey wrench in it too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sleeping with your best friend's daughter is hosed up no matter what age demographics are in play.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Let's just be glad Skin Game ended with him getting in a relationship with Murphy and also resolving to actually be a dad to his kids.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the things I really liked about Alex Verus is that it avoids the "you're a good person no matter what you do" wish fulfillment fantasy that starts to accumulate in Dresden. Some of his friends just don't forgive him sometimes. Makes his choices a lot more meaningful.

One thing I kind of like about this in Dresden is that all the people who reassure him are either biased, or have something to gain from him plowing on. It isn't like Uriel's about to say, "Harry, you're a terrible wizard." How many of his friends even have a full picture of all the choices he's made, things he's done? One of the fun bits in Ghost Story was when Leah called him out on how he'd used Molly. :allears:

I like that Verus questions himself and his morality, but that he is also a survivor. Sets a good tone for a morally grey character.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Zore posted:

Let's just be glad Skin Game ended with him getting in a relationship with Murphy and also resolving to actually be a dad to his kids.
I've spent the last few books in fear that Butcher will abruptly stuff Murphy into a fridge as part of a Shocking Twist.

I've read enough trashy action/adventure series written by men to know that suddenly killing off love interests/female leads for a book or two's worth of protagonist angst is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mars4523 posted:

I've spent the last few books in fear that Butcher will abruptly stuff Murphy into a fridge as part of a Shocking Twist.

I've read enough trashy action/adventure series written by men to know that suddenly killing off love interests/female leads for a book or two's worth of protagonist angst is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

It'd be a retread at this point. He already kinda played that card with Lash and Susan and we're still mining the angst from that :v:

And honestly there are a lot of other characters I'd see Butcher go for before Murphy. Ebeneezer especially. I really don't see him living too long past a scene with Maggie and maybe some sort of short story with him and Thomas.

Also I have the feeling if he offs a female character for shock factor its going to be Elaine rather than any of the more main cast members.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 2, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Only thing I dislike about the Murphy romance is that it's kind of doomed due to the whole "wizards live for centuries" thing. Unless she gets some sort of power up I guess, but being a vanilla mortal is kind of her thing so dunno. I guess one twist he could do is that she does die - but then comes back as a valkyre. :black101:

On that note - Mister better get a prolonged lifespan due to being a wizard's familiar or something, too.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 2, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
We're going to find out mister is secretly that egyptian god of cats.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Would offing Elaine actually produce any shock though?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Avalerion posted:

On that note - Mister better get a prolonged lifespan due to being a wizard's familiar or something, too.

No joke, every time I open a new Dresden novel there's this dread that this is the book where Mister dies.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mars4523 posted:

I would be pretty disappointed if Murphy didn't get some kind of bump that let her do something cool. I enjoy her and Charity, and I like it when they get to do cool stuff. Her arc has put her in the place where she would probably consider options she wouldn't have before ( like at the end of Changes ), especially if it was to help Harry. Skin Game already showed she was willing to break the rules on his behalf.

Ramadu posted:

Would offing Elaine actually produce any shock though?

Sure. Why not? Maybe Justin's riding around in Elaine's body and Harry will be forced to kill them both ( again ), with magic ( again ). That could be a great scene.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Elaine is in a unique place among background characters as she's like the one person really important to Harry he isn't in regular contact with or dead. Ivy is edging towards that too, but killing her would be super hosed up.

It would also be a 'meaningful' death Harry could realistically be upset about without killing core members of the supporting cast.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I honestly wish Elaine were the lead character (all of Harry's whining about how hard his life is in the first few books really looks bad when we find out how much worse Elaine had it) so her dying or becoming mind controlled into evil would also bum me out. She somehow managed to come out better adjusted and less whiny despite having a much bigger right to angst, anyways.

Considering that major female characters seem to be the ones getting bad things happening to them (Susan dying, Murphy losing her job and getting put into physical therapy, Luccio's rape and mind control, the BS with Molly) I'm down with some male supporting characters suffering to establish the stakes instead.

Really, Michael Carpenter kinda needs to die. Not because I hate him or whatever, but because he stepped away from his happily-for-now ending and got back into the Holy Warrior game.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 2, 2017

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey gang! A Facebook buddy of mine wrote some UF and it's actually pretty good??! Check it out:

Empty Threat: Book 1 of The Black Pages - by Danny Bell

quote:

Elana Black has the power to make herself fictional. But when she decides to start saving all the people in books and TV shows who die just for the sake of advancing the plot, she quickly learns that she's not the only one with her powers. All Elana wants to do is save people. But these others don't want the stories to change, and they'll do everything they can to stop her. If you had the power to change fate... to create a happy ending where there wasn't one before... would you do it if it meant risking your own?

Danny is a fun guy who named his cat after Mister, and I wanted to help spread the word about his debut novel!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

I honestly wish Elaine were the lead character (all of Harry's whining about how hard his life is in the first few books really looks bad when we find out how much worse Elaine had it) so her dying or becoming mind controlled into evil would also bum me out. She somehow managed to come out better adjusted and less whiny despite having a much bigger right to angst, anyways.

We don't see things from her PoV, though. Butcher likes having Harry come across as competent and prepared from secondary characters' perspectives, then freaking the gently caress out and frantically improvising from his own PoV.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
It has always been my opinion that the Dresden Files would be way more interesting without that annoying Harry Dresden character.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I thought Butters got waxed a few books ago when he was shot in the church - and was kind of disappointed that he wasn't. The books are a bit too safe in that regard - it doesn't hurt to prune supporting characters now and again.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Wizchine posted:

I thought Butters got waxed a few books ago when he was shot in the church - and was kind of disappointed that he wasn't. The books are a bit too safe in that regard - it doesn't hurt to prune supporting characters now and again.

YOU LEAVE BUTTERS ALONE!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Avalerion posted:

Only thing I dislike about the Murphy romance is that it's kind of doomed due to the whole "wizards live for centuries" thing. Unless she gets some sort of power up I guess, but being a vanilla mortal is kind of her thing so dunno. I guess one twist he could do is that she does die - but then comes back as a valkyre. :black101:

I keep getting the feeling that Dresden's not going to live long enough for this to actually be a problem, personally. Or at least not be anything resembling an ordinary human able to pursue anything resembling a human life.

Dude has victorious martyr written all over him and it seems very much in line with how Butcher's been writing the series.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

While I'd be fine with none else dying, and especially if it were just for shock value - I think Thomas is a likely candidate. Jim doesn't seem to have a grasp on him or know what to do with him.

I do think (hope) the series ends on a happy ending though. He ended Alera on a high note - and none important (that you'd actually care for) dies. I honestly found that so refreshing, too many authors act like there's some death quota they just have to meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BabyFur Denny posted:

It has always been my opinion that the Dresden Files would be way more interesting without that annoying Harry Dresden character.

That's funny. It's exactly how I feel about the Iron Druid books.