Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wasn't everyone excited to see how Clover was going to turn out then it turned out to be exactly what people should have expected it to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

iospace posted:

Wasn't everyone excited to see how Clover was going to turn out then it turned out to be exactly what people should have expected it to be?

No, everyones excited for Sage. Which is a serious attempt at making a Pokemon fangame, Clover is, from its own thread description.

quote:

Pokémon Clover is a Q U A L I T Y/IRONICALLY lovely romhack featuring a brand new region called Fochun, as well as 386 fresh new fakemon that puts those other ghetto Pokemon fan games to shame! Clover has been an ongoing project for a team comprised together from anonymous posters on the /vp/ board. Started in 2014 as a janky FireRed rehash, it has since become a complete ROM overhaul featuring new maps, characters, story, and a completely original soundtrack.

The game updated in May 31 and contains a lot of new features; read the changelog for information.

People are actually interested in Sage

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/About

quote:

Pokémon Sage is a Pokémon fan-game, created by the anonymous members of 4chan's /vp/ board. It began as the project CAPX, which stands for "Create a Pokédex", and was simply a collaborative attempt to design a set of new Pokémon (fakemon). It was later decided to create a fan-game that used them, and thus /vp/ Makes A Game (also known as Gen /vp/) began. This was later renamed to Pokémon Sage.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Onmi posted:

No, everyones excited for Sage. Which is a serious attempt at making a Pokemon fangame, Clover is, from its own thread description.

People are actually interested in Sage

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/About

Sage has the best fakemon of all the fan games. Shame the rest is so off.

However bad you think Clover is, it's worse. I'm talking KKK themed pokemon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dienes posted:

I have negative interest in Clover. I find poo poo like it at Snakewood to just be complete garbage and not at all worth the brain cells. I play enough awful Pokemon fangames to dedicate an iota of thought to those.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dienes posted:

So how is Sage, if it's out.

And regarding the second... :ughh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think sage is out

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sage only has a Demo out, and it's pretty fine. Fun for what it is, isn't all that complete.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sounds like if one could extricate some of the shittier jokes and memes from Clover, it'd probably be a fairly serviceable fan game since that's where the problems seem to lie as opposed to the writing AND the balance

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xelkelvos posted:

Sounds like if one could extricate some of the shittier jokes and memes from Clover, it'd probably be a fairly serviceable fan game since that's where the problems seem to lie as opposed to the writing AND the balance
Yes, but why would you bother? Are you that desperate for more Pokemon? Just let the tire fire burn.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Dienes posted:

Please, a literal KKK themed Pokemon isn't even the worst I saw during my playthrough.

Here are most of the more offensive designs I saw while playing the game. There are probably others, but overall they make up about 15% of the 386 fakemon in Clover or so.
  • An Islamic suicide bomber (this is the fire starter line, and the one I took because it at least looked cute in the first stage and actually sucked at blowing itself up with Self-Destruct/Explosion in defiance of the stereotype) turns out it learned a much better move than those named Holy Duty that made it incredibly good at blowing itself up
  • Literal semen as a Pokemon (with it getting more encrusted with each evolution)
  • a Nazi furnace that evolves into a bigger Nazi furnace named Finasoven (I will mention that the gym leader who used this and was a literal Nazi was only the second most offensive gym leader design)
  • feminism: the stereotype: the Pokemon (which evolves into "Sjwhale")
  • a Pokemon named "MOTHERFUCK" (it is Tentacool, Graveler, and Golbat combined into a single horrible Ground/Flying Pokemon with Shadow Tag and the combination of Spore + Destiny Bond + Perish Song, so it earns that name)
  • Chantruth, which is somehow an even bigger Jewish stereotype than the actual Jews in the game (thank god you can just pick the actually decent in design Ogrelord over it)
  • A literal unborn fetus as a Pokemon
  • Not really super offensive, but the most edgy fakemon line I have ever seen instead, and that's including the unborn fetus line I just mentioned: an evolutionary line that is for the first two stages the dead and decaying bodies of Happiny and Chansey, and for the last stage is the disembodied head of Nurse Joy, complete with gore coming out of the decapitated neck
  • An evolutionary line based off of the Twin Towers (not their destruction to be fair; it's patriotic in flavor rather than insulting but even the implication can be pretty offensive)
  • A box of dragon dildos (which is somehow a BST 640 legendary)
  • A Pokemon named "Dragking" (and reading the wiki on it it's actually guaranteed to be female, much to my surprise)
  • A pink flame named "Flameboyan"
  • A cutesy Fairy type evolutionary line...for the first two stages, and then the final evolution veers straight into a menopause joke without much warning (there is dialogue in-game about people using Everstones to prevent the final evolution from happening) yes, it can't breed once it hits the final evolution
  • A black stereotype (black face and all) as a Pokemon, described as a thief and a weed addict
  • A reference to Bulbapedia... that implies that the creator of the website is a pedophile
  • A Pokemon that, and I am not making this up, is named "Goryannus" the design has nothing to do with the name and is only edgy rather than offensive

Xelkelvos posted:

That's the kicker: Clover has some actually good parts in it that don't deserve to be stuck in that game. There's a postgame area that actually pulls off a dark mood well, the Lavender Tower equivalent was genuinely fun and interesting with no strings attached, and in general the game could be very funny when it didn't just delve into memes or being offensive. But it does that way too frequently.

I had fun playing it (which was much more than I was expecting), but it's definitely not worth playing. Just go on Youtube and listen to the soundtrack, that part I can recommend without any reservations.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 2, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

the Orb of Zot posted:

A box of dragon dildos (which is somehow a BST 640 legendary)

This made me laugh. I'm not sure if it's the mental image of a box of dildos being a pokemon, or if it's the fact that the stats are ludicrously good, but goddammit this one's funny.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This made me laugh. I'm not sure if it's the mental image of a box of dildos being a pokemon, or if it's the fact that the stats are ludicrously good, but goddammit this one's funny.

The kicker is where you find it in the postgame.

It's in your basement.

EDIT: Oh my god I just realized something horrible.

That black stereotype I just mentioned learns every single HM in the game. Since HMs can be forgotten like regular moves in Clover, that makes it the perfect HM slave.

That has to be intentional.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 2, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

You forgot the only ??? type pokemon: Adesign.

690 base stats, and probably the best cry I've ever heard.

Clover does a lot of incredibly stupid poo poo, but about a fourth of it is pretty drat funny.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Power Bottom posted:

probably the best cry I've ever heard.

You did not lie.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sage is a /vp/ game while Clover is a /b/ or /v/ game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

I kinda liked that it seemed to be crassly satirizing how Gens IV and V went kind of crazy with the dragon-type legendaries.

Still a lovely edgelord fangame, but credit where it's due.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

palkia was already a dildo dragon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's very telling, at least, that's it's made by people who understand the inner workings of a Pokemon game. They understand level curve and balance (somewhat) and I assume move pool and non-Legendary and non-pseudo-Legendary stats are in the reasonable range?

the Orb of Zot posted:

It's in your basement.

That black stereotype I just mentioned learns every single HM in the game. Since HMs can be forgotten like regular moves in Clover, that makes it the perfect HM slave.

Probably. There's also a counterpart that's a Pig Cop

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
So basically Clover is a raging success.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

It's in your basement.
I'm not gonna lie, I find that pretty funny. Partially because it's a weird little twist on the "finding embarrassing poo poo in the attic/basement" trope, partially because I'm immature.

Most of the other ones are legit terrible, though. I could feel a gag forming after reading the semen Pokemon evolution line.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I find that pretty funny. Partially because it's a weird little twist on the "finding embarrassing poo poo in the attic/basement" trope, partially because I'm immature.

Most of the other ones are legit terrible, though. I could feel a gag forming after reading the semen Pokemon evolution line.

Take the weird "jumping into random people's bed" thing from S/M and have it be a way to immediately spawn one.

Edit: Either that or by searching particular trash cans in bedrooms

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Starter lines based around condoms, suicide bombers, and anal seepage. Good stuff, good stuff...

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

The game itself flatout states the "joke" if you can even call it that, so I'd imagine it is intentional.

I don't know, there's some parts in the game that made me laugh. Like there's that kid in the first gym that says you're light years away from reaching Brock, then you step on a warp pad that takes you to Brock somewhere in outer space.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

It's two abilities are Rough Skin and Infiltrator.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Andorra posted:

I don't know, there's some parts in the game that made me laugh. Like there's that kid in the first gym that says you're light years away from reaching Brock, then you step on a warp pad that takes you to Brock somewhere in outer space.

Okay, that's actually pretty funny.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

While I'm pretty sure they're both just dumb 4chan memes, I still got a chuckle out of two of the legendaries being the Eva-01 on a bicycle and Ridley with a fake mustache.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kay Kessler posted:

While I'm pretty sure they're both just dumb 4chan memes, I still got a chuckle out of two of the legendaries being the Eva-01 on a bicycle and Ridley with a fake mustache.

In case you or someone else hasn't seen it, I present the best use of Eva on a bicycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Man just looking at the list of pokemon in Clover makes me not want to touch it with a tenfoot pole ever
Its just so immature

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hmmmm yes, i myself also demand only the most serious gameplay from my childrens cockfighting video game series

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I get what you're trying to say, but there's a difference between Pokemon's standard cartoon villain plots and "heh, crusty cum monster".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hmmmm yes, i myself also demand only the most serious gameplay from my childrens cockfighting video game series

yes, i actually do demand that children's video game series not have really blatant racism/sexism

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

the Orb of Zot posted:

[*] a Pokemon named "MOTHERFUCK" (it is Tentacool, Graveler, and Golbat combined into a single horrible Ground/Flying Pokemon with Shadow Tag and the combination of Spore + Destiny Bond + Perish Song, so it earns that name)
[*] A box of dragon dildos (which is somehow a BST 640 legendary)
[*] A Pokemon named "Dragking" (and reading the wiki on it it's actually guaranteed to be female, much to my surprise)
[*] A pink flame named "Flameboyan"

Those legitimately got a giggle out of me.

Flameboyan would be my boyfriend's favourite pokemon ever if it's Fairy type.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Brother Entropy posted:

children's video game series

Why do people keep saying this? It's not made by Nintendo, it's a fangame that uses the pokemon system as a base. It has literally zero obligation to adhere to the same content guidelines, but everybody keeps throwing the "this is out of place for a pokemon game" card like it means something.

If you want ~the pokemon experience~ then just play pokemon instead of holding it against people for what's essentially extended fanfiction. I'm not arguing that the racism/sexism are okay, and passing on the game because of that is incredibly understandable, but there's plenty of other far worse problems or decent ideas executed poorly to complain about in these fangames without docking them points for not being accurate in tone to the official games.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tone's kind of an important part of the Pokemon Experience, tho.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Brother Entropy posted:

yes, i actually do demand that children's video game series not have really blatant racism/sexism
No see it's just a joke and :downswords:

Nobody'd mind if it was just the Tentacool/Graveler/Golbat horror or the light years away from Brock thing, but racist/sexist/homophobic 'jokes' are a special brand of gross.

Wrist Watch posted:

Why do people keep saying this? It's not made by Nintendo, it's a fangame that uses the pokemon system as a base. It has literally zero obligation to adhere to the same content guidelines, but everybody keeps throwing the "this is out of place for a pokemon game" card like it means something.

If you want ~the pokemon experience~ then just play pokemon instead of holding it against people for what's essentially extended fanfiction. I'm not arguing that the racism/sexism are okay, and passing on the game because of that is incredibly understandable, but there's plenty of other far worse problems or decent ideas executed poorly to complain about in these fangames without docking them points for not being accurate in tone to the official games.
People keep bringing it up because there's a dearth of fangames with the writing chops to deviate from the official games & do it well. Is it possible to write a more serious/memey/whatever Pokemon game and do it well? Yes. Has that happened yet? As far as I can tell, no.

I've personally brought it up before because it's a quick way to highlight the difference in quality. You don't have to slavishly do the exact things the real games do, but it's worth taking a look at why they do these things since there's often a good reason for it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
idk I don't disagree that Clover is bad but it's kinda annoying to keep seeing "oh god, this is so terrible." it's lovely 4chan humor. What did you expect? They aimed to be offensive.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

idk I don't disagree that Clover is bad but it's kinda annoying to keep seeing "oh god, this is so terrible." it's lovely 4chan humor. What did you expect? They aimed to be offensive.

At least, I'd assume, unlike Reborn or Uranium, Clover is self-aware its full of offensive/silly/random stuff. Reborn or Uranium both seem to take themselves seriously.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Tone's kind of an important part of the Pokemon Experience, tho.

yeah the actual pokemon games have an incredibly charming tone that's fun to be around and even when these fangames aren't waist-deep in edgy fanfiction territory they seem mostly uninterested in trying to hit that tone

hell i think that's why i liked the garlikid stuff, there was a definite quirkiness in his character there that the rest of uranium's lacked

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Tired Moritz posted:

I expect "humor" and mindsets like 4chan's to be continually mocked and marked as thoroughly not okay, instead of just throwing up our arms and going "oh that's just 4chan being silly again" and pretending it's ok to foster and normalize such a lovely pile of festering ideologies as that community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

fan games aren't required to play by the same rules as official games but they do still carry those same expectations with them when they have the same name, mechanics, and characters. it's like if you were playing metro or fallout and then suddenly a pikachu mauled you to death. it just feels weird

• Locked thread