Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

Sharing the first appearance of Mr. B Natural with unprepared newbies on Twitch is an experience I'm filing away with singing along to "Slow the Plot Down" at the convention.

So much confusion. So much terror.

"The first time I really met Buzz Turner...including Jeanie! The cutest girl in school...including Buzz."

They didn't even need a riff there, just let the inanity speak for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Joel confirmed that the source for Eegah for the live tour is a new HD scan of the original negative.

http://www.mst3k.com/some_big_news_about_eegah

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Egbert Souse posted:

Joel confirmed that the source for Eegah for the live tour is a new HD scan of the original negative.

http://www.mst3k.com/some_big_news_about_eegah

Good god, what monster kept a pristine print of that lying around.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
And Tim Ryder (one of the writers of S11/Boneheads/husband of Rebecca Hansen) is Servo on the live tour.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

mangler103 posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If seeing a live riff is even half as fun as I think it will be, it will have been worth the price of the tickets I got for me and a friend. Joel's "That's right, we open in Boston!" update got me excited for it all over again.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Bicyclops posted:

If seeing a live riff is even half as fun as I think it will be, it will have been worth the price of the tickets I got for me and a friend. Joel's "That's right, we open in Boston!" update got me excited for it all over again.

The closest one to me is a 3 and a half hour drive away. If I had a friend who was as into MST3K as me, I'd probably go for it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TL posted:

And Tim Ryder (one of the writers of S11/Boneheads/husband of Rebecca Hansen) is Servo on the live tour.
It's worth pointing out that it's because Baron is staying home because he's expecting his first kid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mangler103 posted:

The closest one to me is a 3 and a half hour drive away. If I had a friend who was as into MST3K as me, I'd probably go for it.

They aren't stopping in a single Texas city. Closest for me would be Kansas City or Atlanta, both 12 hour drives. :sigh:

Not going to Austin at least feels like a huge missed opportunity, but what do I know.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On the one hand: sorry, guys. :(

on the other hand, for once, Boston is king, and not just in movies about loyalty in which the message is that you should get the hell out of Boston!!

Jonah and Baron did a whole Hidden America episode on Boston, and it sort of leaves me wondering if the tour will include little regional references. It works so well for street performers and musical performances, and it's a way for them to make it unique. Even if it's just the standard joke of Felicia Day's recording asking "Where are we broadcasting from? Can anyone in the audience tell me?" followed by "Oh, I'm so sorry," for literally every city.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They aren't stopping in a single Texas city. Closest for me would be Kansas City or Atlanta, both 12 hour drives. :sigh:

Not going to Austin at least feels like a huge missed opportunity, but what do I know.

That is pretty surprising. On the other hand they're coming to Richmond :woop:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Man I'm getting so desperate for live riffs up here in Canada I may have to book and promote a Mads are Back show myself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

On the one hand: sorry, guys. :(

on the other hand, for once, Boston is king, and not just in movies about loyalty in which the message is that you should get the hell out of Boston!!

Jonah and Baron did a whole Hidden America episode on Boston, and it sort of leaves me wondering if the tour will include little regional references. It works so well for street performers and musical performances, and it's a way for them to make it unique. Even if it's just the standard joke of Felicia Day's recording asking "Where are we broadcasting from? Can anyone in the audience tell me?" followed by "Oh, I'm so sorry," for literally every city.

I hope all the stuff with them talking to the prerecorded video is corny as hell, like intentionally poor timing issues and vhs decay like it's been played a million times.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm going to the Minneapolis shows which are guaranteed to be the best ones.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Man I'm getting so desperate for live riffs up here in Canada I may have to book and promote a Mads are Back show myself.

There was one scheduled for Vancouver. Had our tickets and everything.

Just got an email that they've canceled it. Now I'm sad.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Disconnecticus posted:

There was one scheduled for Vancouver. Had our tickets and everything.

Just got an email that they've canceled it. Now I'm sad.

Same here. Bummed.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've tweeted at both of them about coming to Toronto but it never happens. I'd love for them to do a Cronenberg flick.

Especially Crash, the car crash amputee fetishist one, but I'd settle for Scanners or The Dead Zone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On the marathon early this morning I caught one of the KTMA episodes. Crow has such a strong Minnesotan accent I expected him to offer some hot dish.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

mangler103 posted:

Doesn't matter how many times I see it, I will never not be surprised that Eegah! is actually a full-color movie.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So I found this while I was surfing around killing time:

You can even buy one if you don't think you can live without it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I think I'm going to order one of their Killer Shrews ones.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Cool shirt for my favorite episode, oh hell yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hey the twitch stream is currently playing the MST3K documentary right now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, people in chat are ccalling this version of Hamlet bad. Seems fine to me, though I don't know if that's due to a lack of judgement or because I've seen WAY worse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Man, people in chat are ccalling this version of Hamlet bad. Seems fine to me, though I don't know if that's due to a lack of judgement or because I've seen WAY worse.

I'd have to say the worst Hamlet I've seen is the Shatner version performed in Esperanto, but the one on the Twitch Stream is pretty drat bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

flosofl posted:

Hey the twitch stream is currently playing the MST3K documentary right now.
Is this documentary available on its own anywhere?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is this documentary available on its own anywhere?

Wasn't it one of the Kickstarter rewards? I thought someone mentioned that.

The one on the twitch stream doesn't seem like it's the whole thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

flosofl posted:

I'd have to say the worst Hamlet I've seen is the Shatner version performed in Esperanto, but the one on the Twitch Stream is pretty drat bad.

My baseline for bad performance starts at "reading the lines like they're dead words written on a page, pausing at the line breaks regardless of conversational flow." If folks don't do that I consider it watchable.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bruceski posted:

It's not very well-staged or -lit, the actors don't have much presence, and the dub is mostly execrable (special points for Ricardo Montalban doing Claudius, though).

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
I'm curious, fellow goon-MSTies, how do you feel about the new series? Should a series about Mystery Science Theater 3000 focus more on the new episodes where they're still relatively fresh and new or jump all over the series' long and wonderful history? I co-host the bi-weekly podcast, It's Just A Show, and we've been cherry-picking episodes at random from different eras, including the new series.

A lot of feedback we've gotten from listeners have been positive about our randomized approach, but I'm curious if folks who may not have yet listened to IJAS would want a greater focus on the new episodes for now? Is it best to give greater attention and focus on the new series for now or give it a chance to breathe and gain greater momentum?

PS: Trace Beaulieu likes us. Maybe you will, too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

adamcantsleep posted:

I'm curious, fellow goon-MSTies, how do you feel about the new series? Should a series about Mystery Science Theater 3000 focus more on the new episodes where they're still relatively fresh and new or jump all over the series' long and wonderful history? I co-host the bi-weekly podcast, It's Just A Show, and we've been cherry-picking episodes at random from different eras, including the new series.

A lot of feedback we've gotten from listeners have been positive about our randomized approach, but I'm curious if folks who may not have yet listened to IJAS would want a greater focus on the new episodes for now? Is it best to give greater attention and focus on the new series for now or give it a chance to breathe and gain greater momentum?

I haven't listened to your show (yet) but I think I'd rather keep to a randomised approach. That way if I have a favourite era I'm not waiting ages to hear something I'm super excited about.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

adamcantsleep posted:

I haven't listened to it either but the pattern you've developed in your episodes so far seems good. Maybe alternate talking about greatest hits popular episodes with lesser known ones? Like if you do a Pod People episode, follow up with an episode chosen at random.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

adamcantsleep posted:

A suggestion off the top of my head: Make two pools. One is all the episodes currently on Netflix (old and new) and another that is all the rest. Alternate between the two pools so at least half your episodes can directly lead to people watching the episode in question.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

8one6 posted:

A suggestion off the top of my head: Make two pools. One is all the episodes currently on Netflix (old and new) and another that is all the rest. Alternate between the two pools so at least half your episodes can directly lead to people watching the episode in question.

I'd modify this suggestion to take into account that a bunch more episodes are also on YouTube(legally), Hulu, and Shout Factory's own streaming service as well as just Netflix

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So... did anyone else here back both the MST3K reboot and the Zappa documentary kickstarter, and get Joel's postcard this week?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Powered Descent posted:

So... did anyone else here back both the MST3K reboot and the Zappa documentary kickstarter, and get Joel's postcard this week?

Jack black was likely too high to show up and pilot the thing on the postcard as captain beefheart

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Jack black was likely too high to show up and pilot the thing on the postcard as captain beefheart

Nah, Jack Black can't smoke weed anymore, he turns into a terrified lunatic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

I did! Surprised the hell out me too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Finally finished the season last night.

The latter half of the season had some truly amazing gems. First, I love that Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was featured with its sequel. The first one was MSTKworthy based on its general badness, but the sequel? What the hell were the makers of that film thinking?? Most of it looked like they got the actors in costume and filmed them on set, standing around and basically table-reading the script so they could block the scene out or something. The big climactic scene has all of the protagonists and antagonists standing right by each other trying to convince the most annoying character from Tremors to do... something. The only thing missing was any sense of tension. In that movie, about half the time, you can tell that the actors know full well that the movie is going to be a disaster, so they stopped even trying to act and decided to just start loving around while filming. The action sequences, especially the swordplay, looked like early-stage fight choreography run-throughs. Just awful.

And Carnival Magic... that movie doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Sometimes, it's a kid's circus movie. Sometimes, it's a metaphysical, supernatural thriller. Sometimes, it's a goofball comedy, complete with a cop riding home on the back of his squad car while it is being towed down the highway. And sometimes, it's about, oh, beating up women brutally and on-screen.

Cry Wilderness was just... really bad in a strange way, like a terrible movie that they'd show a 4th grade class on movie day because The Electric Grandmother was loaned out to another school. The Loves of Herkaleeze, Starcrash... really, I knew ahead of time that there would be plenty of bad movies for the guys to riff on, but I'm always surprised at just how deep down the bottom of the movie barrel really is.

Bravo. (Oh... and why did Netflix call this an original Netflix series? It's kind-of the opposite of that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

tarlibone posted:

Bravo. (Oh... and why did Netflix call this an original Netflix series? It's kind-of the opposite of that.)

They did the same thing with Arrested Development :v: