Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

Well yeah like 99% of people that follow the team see it that way. I was joking about Simmons insisting he should be listed as the PG which I can now see is gonna start a pedantic argument.

No, I agree it's a bit pedantic. He and Fultz probably both will be initiating a lot of plays on offense.

I'm more curious about what happens with Korkmaz and Bolden. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both spends a fair amount of time in the G League.

Dario as a super 6th man then Amir Johnson, Okafor (if he's still on the roster), Holmes, Anderson, TLC, Stauskas, Bayless, and McConnell makes 14 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
IMHO cutting Hot Sauce (Pistons should sign) means they're bringing over Korkmaz. They're both twos who can initiate offense and handle the ball, and aren't going to be good defenders.

I hope the Cavs b ring over Osman. He's the sort of player who Lebron et all could help look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFxIsrQzEQE You can see, in this video about his improvements, his weaknesses. His release is slow and angled inward in a way that lets defenders get easier contests than they should on a 6'8 guy, he's easy to wall off the paint against, and he's a a step slow on defense. That being said, in the videos I've watched he seems relatively unbothered by those strong contests, he finishes well when there's a path to the basket, and he at least uses his size on defense.

If he can make threes, he could help displace Kyle Korver when the time comes for non time ravaged bodies. He still has a lot of developing to do. European teams seem incredibly vindictive in simply not playing probable NBA players. They don't care

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 2, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/mikeascotto/status/881541394048974848

Okay so I'm not opposed to this, but I don't want them to give up a 2018 first. That would be stupid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait a second, Cory Joseph isn't affiliated with Indiana in any way! How can the Pacers target him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Every year I say this, but this year I think I finally mean it:

NBA.com is totally unreadable and dead and I gotta switch to another news source. Let's try that Hoopshype from the OP.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The stars are aligning

whoa that guy in front is sucking up like a whole plate of spaghetti in one go

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

His missed 3 before Durant's game winner in game 3 is probably still haunting him.

AS IT SHOULD

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Outside of the Blake and Jrue deals, it seems like contracts this offseason are either reasonably priced or too short to be real albatrosses compared to last year. Plus there are a whole bunch of guys left to sign who will have to compete for a relatively meager amount of money remaining

Do you think teams are legitimately adjusting to the new salary landscape, or are they just hamstrung by the 2016 frenzy and will start loving up again as soon as they get a little more rope?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Veryslightlymad posted:

NBA.com is totally unreadable and dead and I gotta switch to another news source. Let's try that Hoopshype from the OP.

If you just want nba news without a lot of crap (and have an adblock that kills auto video) try cbssports.com
Hoopshype has incredibly annoying page covering ads and 50% of the time their links lead to something other than the headline

xbilkis posted:

Outside of the Blake and Jrue deals, it seems like contracts this offseason are either reasonably priced or too short to be real albatrosses compared to last year. Plus there are a whole bunch of guys left to sign who will have to compete for a relatively meager amount of money remaining

Do you think teams are legitimately adjusting to the new salary landscape, or are they just hamstrung by the 2016 frenzy and will start loving up again as soon as they get a little more rope?

Yes and yes. The Magic in the last 2 years seemed to be working on a mandate from ownership to cash their chips in and get to the playoffs, the Blazers, in either a stroke of genius or madness, decided to get as many bad huge contracts as possible, making them important when the trade deadline of 2018-19 and 2019-20 come around. The Pistons used their cap space in trades and signing okay back ups to exorbitant inflated deals.
Every center got like 1.5x his actual value.

The smart bad teams should use their stretch position today and either sell their cap space or sign value players that will help them move up in the world

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 2, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

xbilkis posted:

The latter. Only like 5 teams had max cap space compared to last year when almost every team had one. I would say at least 10 teams can't make moves beyond the MLE.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Veryslightlymad posted:

For pure box scores Yahoo's NBA page is the best as of the last few years. Clean, simple interface, basically just a bunch of box scores without all the other poo poo.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Dejan Bimble posted:

IMHO cutting Hot Sauce (Pistons should sign) means they're bringing over Korkmaz. They're both twos who can initiate offense and handle the ball, and aren't going to be good defenders.

The Sixers didn't actually cut the Sauce, that was just some goon posting about a dream he had or something. But all signs seem to point to Korkmaz wanting to make it happen and come over this year so Redgrendel is totally right about hopefully being able to get him some time in the G League

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Lowry 3 years 100 mill for Toronto.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Mostly want a good site for something along the lines of "All transactions" so I can keep track of free agency.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/BenSimmons25/status/881257919483965440

I'm all in on Dejan's view of the Aussie Institute kids and their mindsets. Ben gonna force himself to be listed as the PG for brand purposes and people will read way too much into it even though he'll end up playing exactly the same way as if he was listed as PF.

Worked for hall of fame center Tim Duncan.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Veryslightlymad posted:

Mostly want a good site for something along the lines of "All transactions" so I can keep track of free agency.

This might be the cleanest tracker :\ https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6j2tsl/2017_nba_free_agent_tracker/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

For pure box scores Yahoo's NBA page is the best as of the last few years. Clean, simple interface, basically just a bunch of box scores without all the other poo poo.

Yahoo also has the best iphone app for watching scores at work or whatever I think.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Vivek doesn't read Dokmo's posts

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/881631919326343169

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pretty sure Vlade reads this forum and does the opposite of what dokmo says to do

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WhyteRyce posted:

Pretty sure Vlade reads this forum and does the opposite of what dokmo says to do

Dokmo's super secret NBA position is "Shoulder Angel" for Vlade Divac.

Shoulder Devil is another, smaller, Vlade Divac.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/mikeascotto/status/881541394048974848

Okay so I'm not opposed to this, but I don't want them to give up a 2018 first. That would be stupid.

Clearing the path for Delon.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
What the hell

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol Sanjay Lumpkin to Pelicans summer league, please don't ever get rid of Dell Demps who always puts a Northwestern guy on there because his kid played there.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

God drat it vlade

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, and his defense was so bad, they could barely play him in the playoffs

man i think this has been said about every single player on the cavs except lebron and im pretty sure yall are gonna say it about him next cause it makes about as much sense as when you said it about kevin love

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
loving Grunfeld will match it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ishin posted:

At least they'll only have to match the 4 instead of giving him 5 years I think

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I like the PJ Tucker signing, and I'm really glad they managed to keep Nene. I wouldn't have been surprised if he was a little peeved after they screwed up his contract offer and then used the MLE on Tucker.

I will be interested in whether PJ Tucker can up his 3 point game here. He's never taken many.

The Rockets are basically tapped out now, unless they can trade Anderson for a S&T free agent or Carmelo An:thunk:thony. Solid offseason.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Ishin posted:

I mean like, duh

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/881626194420129792

I would be down for this if it costs a 2nd.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

I like the PJ Tucker signing, and I'm really glad they managed to keep Nene. I wouldn't have been surprised if he was a little peeved after they screwed up his contract offer and then used the MLE on Tucker.

I will be interested in whether PJ Tucker can up his 3 point game here. He's never taken many.

The Rockets are basically tapped out now, unless they can trade Anderson for a S&T free agent or Carmelo An:thunk:thony. Solid offseason.

They can keep their MLE is they S&T Tucker for a bunch of their non guarantees right?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/881634632181088256

Man that is a lot of money for a mediocre team. On the other hand, if they don't match it isn't like there is anyone else they can bring in. Guess they are going to pay the luxury tax for the first time in team history. If John Wall signs that Supermax, that will be a ton of money tied up once it kicks in between Wall, Porter, and Beal.

Also Vlade can keep on wheeling and dealing:

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/881637397469024257

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/881634632181088256

Man that is a lot of money for a mediocre team. On the other hand, if they don't match it isn't like there is anyone else they can bring in. Guess they are going to pay the luxury tax for the first time in team history. If John Wall signs that Supermax, that will be a ton of money tied up once it kicks in between Wall, Porter, and Beal.

Also Vlade can keep on wheeling and dealing:

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/881637397469024257

Not bringing in someone is way better than overpaying for a mediocre player imo. Just wait to spend money on guys who are worth the money. Paying mediocre players just makes those guys more expensive in the future.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
'Zards over the luxury tax line by 3 million--good thing Jason Smith is making 5.2 million and has a 18-19 player option.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wait when did I miss Otto Porter becoming good

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/881645556556156928

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Not bringing in someone is way better than overpaying for a mediocre player imo. Just wait to spend money on guys who are worth the money. Paying mediocre players just makes those guys more expensive in the future.

They will be at the cap line. They won't realistically have any room until 2019. It's either Porter or nobody

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

nachos posted:

When he was up for a new contract on a team that has no way of adding talent

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Las Vegas Summer league question. Games are split between cox pavillion and T&M centre which I understand are at the same location. Are you able to move between the two arenas on the same ticket or do you have to pick one location / set of games?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nachos posted:

First half of the season he shots well from 3 but came down to earth in the 2nd half.

I wish the Mavs would hurry up and give Noel his giant contract so I could get excited about the meh signings that come afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

cougar cub posted:

Las Vegas Summer league question. Games are split between cox pavillion and T&M centre which I understand are at the same location. Are you able to move between the two arenas on the same ticket or do you have to pick one location / set of games?

Yes. Move freely and often unless you don't want to give up a good seat

• Locked thread