Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Not to derail into toychat but this is too funny not to share.

https://twitter.com/PaulReiser/status/880437760892579844

Although it's technically not the FIRST piece of licensed Burke merchandise ever made, there was a little pewter figurine of him made for the Leading Edge tabletop game back in 1991. :v:

I'm really hoping he has a swappable head. Just got my Covenant Xeno and Neomorph and I'm loving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lizardman posted:

TVTropes also mentions Ripley's "Shut up!" line being a result of real-life cast tensions though it doesn't give a source. For what it's worth, some quick googling shows the line doesn't turn up in any of the most readily available Alien scripts (in fact Ripley & Parker aren't even quarreling in the scene).

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/terry-rawlings-original-editing-script-for-alien/ (there's some really cool stuff on this page in general!)

Because I have no life, I googled to see if there was a "SHUT UP" scene in Alien Resurrection, and while there's a couple of instances where someone says those words I'm not really seeing anything like the moments in Aliens and Alien 3 which I swear are inexplicable callbacks. Maybe it's some kind of inside joke between Walter Hill and David Giler because I can't imagine any of the writers thought audience goers would think "oh they did it again! I got that reference" like it's the Wilhelm scream or something.

Worth noting that people who post on TVTropes are generally the insane sort and probably the single best representation of the people SMG spends time railing against.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The feud thing is on the Alien making of on the anthology set.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lizardman posted:

TVTropes also mentions Ripley's "Shut up!" line being a result of real-life cast tensions though it doesn't give a source. For what it's worth, some quick googling shows the line doesn't turn up in any of the most readily available Alien scripts (in fact Ripley & Parker aren't even quarreling in the scene).

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/terry-rawlings-original-editing-script-for-alien/ (there's some really cool stuff on this page in general!)

Because I have no life, I googled to see if there was a "SHUT UP" scene in Alien Resurrection, and while there's a couple of instances where someone says those words I'm not really seeing anything like the moments in Aliens and Alien 3 which I swear are inexplicable callbacks. Maybe it's some kind of inside joke between Walter Hill and David Giler because I can't imagine any of the writers thought audience goers would think "oh they did it again! I got that reference" like it's the Wilhelm scream or something.

I actually was watching a documentary on alien recently and they do mention a lot of intra-cast tension. The actor who played Parker was very serious in all his roles. He would constantly surprise Ridley with a bunch of suggestions for the film and his character. He felt that Sigourney Weaver was not putting in a good performance and would try his best to get honest reactions out of her leading to him sometimes coming off as mean. He redid the line where the shut up occurred a thousand times until she was actually frustrated. In the sense every time they had to reshoot the scene, he got meaner and meaner in the hopes it would get the reaction he wanted.

Apparently, he wasn't alone in that sentiment. As the slap scene did not actually mean to turn out the way that it did. It got so messy because Sigourney Weaver kept dodging the hint when she was supposed to take it. As a result and after many failed attempts and a very frustrated Lambert, Lambert accidentally slapt her right across the face for real and caused a real scene.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just about everytime I've seen Alien along with someone else who's seeing it for the first time they've always had some kind of "hey that was some good acting" comment when Ripley says "SHUT UP" :v:

Covok posted:

I actually was watching a documentary on alien recently and they do mention a lot of intra-cast tension. The actor who played Parker was very serious in all his roles. He would constantly surprise Ridley with a bunch of suggestions for the film and his character. He felt that Sigourney Weaver was not putting in a good performance and would try his best to get honest reactions out of her leading to him sometimes coming off as mean. He redid the line where the shut up occurred a thousand times until she was actually frustrated. In the sense every time they had to reshoot the scene, he got meaner and meaner in the hopes it would get the reaction he wanted.

This reminds me, one of my "take whatever bullshit class you like" electives in college was an Acting 101 class that featured an exercise where two participants would act out a scene in which one is trying to stop the other from leaving the room, and regardless of whatever else was scripted, the one trying to leave does not stop unless he/she is actually convinced (in character of course) to stay. That kind of thing carried over to more general assignments where students were encouraged to stay more true to the character in the moment than even the actual script, i.e. if you're written to be scared of someone but that person's performance is not actually scaring you (your character) then you would adjust your own performance accordingly.

It was interesting (and pretty fun, too). It was years ago and I don't remember if this was strictly for practice or if actors were expected to continue that mindset on the job. I can imagine it being annoying being a director and one actor not following your direction/the script and him blaming it on someone else's performance not sufficiently motivating him, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just do what Friedkin did and bring a gun to the set.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivg7VQjLX4

The special features on the BluRay is gonna own.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm really hoping he has a swappable head. Just got my Covenant Xeno and Neomorph and I'm loving them.

I love this sentence because it has me anticipating your upcoming Neo-Burke-Morph photos.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RedSpider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivg7VQjLX4

The special features on the BluRay is gonna own.

I was just thinking how we'd probably have to wait at least a decade before we can get the kind of super candid look behind the scenes of Prometheus and Alien Covenant that we did with the quadrilogy (and we probably still will) but this does look more interesting than the EPK-type stuff I was expecting.

Edit: In space no one can hear you complain otherwise someone's gonna tell you to SHUT UP!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEZiEuixEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYi4qGxixTw&t=137s

http://www.tzr.io/yarn-story/e56c3388-7383-4efd-88e1-51ac26debbd5 (no youtube link sorry!)

lizardman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 1, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

lizardman posted:

I was just thinking how we'd probably have to wait at least a decade before we can get the kind of super candid look behind the scenes of Prometheus and Alien Covenant that we did with the quadrilogy (and we probably still will) but this does look more interesting than the EPK-type stuff I was expecting.

Yeah, b-roll docs are the best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's a 3 hour making of for Prometheus on the Blu Ray and it's pretty dang in depth.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Glad to see Ripley still helping out space travelers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

I love this sentence because it has me anticipating your upcoming Neo-Burke-Morph photos.

This is a great idea, and the wait begins.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Glad to see Ripley still helping out space travelers.

What game is this?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Covok posted:

Apparently, he wasn't alone in that sentiment. As the slap scene did not actually mean to turn out the way that it did. It got so messy because Sigourney Weaver kept dodging the hint when she was supposed to take it. As a result and after many failed attempts and a very frustrated Lambert, Lambert accidentally slapt her right across the face for real and caused a real scene.
This is fascinating, and I had no idea.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

What game is this?

Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Ridley actually seems a lot more open to new things than most old people. He says dude all the time. He seems like a chill guy.

better analysis than 100% of this trash thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
"dude" was popular slang like 50 years ago hth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's actually still popular now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

"dude" was popular slang like 50 years ago hth

Dude was popular slang 100 years ago trash boy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

It's actually still popular now

Kernel panic: processor context corrupt

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Dude was popular slang 100 years ago trash boy.

Good thing Ridley Scott isn't a 150 year old fashion reporter

I don't have to pocket this flapdoodle from you ratbag

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Good thing Ridley Scott isn't a 150 year old fashion reporter

I don't have to pocket this flapdoodle from you ratbag

I won't have some kind of jimcrack fuckboy tell me how to talk cows.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Covenant releases on DVD/BR on August 15th and will have 18 minutes of footage from 12 deleted and extended scenes. Will be interesting to see what was removed.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Covenant releases on DVD/BR on August 15th and will have 18 minutes of footage from 12 deleted and extended scenes. Will be interesting to see what was removed.

just the tip~

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SUNKOS posted:

Probably nothing. I bet they added poopy scenes back in for the DVD release to build hype.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

Interesting choice for the cover:

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
The editor of the film mentioned in an interview that they cut scenes of Walter behaving too "human-like", so presumably a few of those will be there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RedSpider posted:

Interesting choice for the cover:

This is bad

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The target one comes with a book of David's drawings though: https://intl.target.com/p/alien-covenant-target-exclusive-blu-ray-dvd-digital/-/A-52521415

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Arkhams Razor posted:

The editor of the film mentioned in an interview that they cut scenes of Walter behaving too "human-like", so presumably a few of those will be there.

In the novelization he is starting to develop feelings just like our favorite psycho David- he plays the flute and broods that he can't create, then composes a lullaby for Daniels and then strokes her hair while she sleeps and thinks about how much he likes it when he touches her. He also brings her pot after her husband dies to cheer her up. I hope they filmed at least one of those scenes I really want to see them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

UnsuitableWasp posted:

In the novelization he is starting to develop feelings just like our favorite psycho David- he plays the flute and broods that he can't create, then composes a lullaby for Daniels and then strokes her hair while she sleeps and thinks about how much he likes it when he touches her. He also brings her pot after her husband dies to cheer her up. I hope they filmed at least one of those scenes I really want to see them.

In the future they only call it "the ganja"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

UnsuitableWasp posted:

The Story of Waltrr Or How To Love A Woman Despite Being Built Like A Ken Doll.

Can you imagine the level of sexual frustration he must be going through? I mean with a human you can, you know, manage it yourself, if you get what I'm saying. But he don't even have a dick. If he has an rear end in a top hat, he probably can't derive pleasure from it. I don't think there's a real good comparison for most people about the sexual frustration he must feel.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Covok posted:

Can you imagine the level of sexual frustration he must be going through? I mean with a human you can, you know, manage it yourself, if you get what I'm saying. But he don't even have a dick. If he has an rear end in a top hat, he probably can't derive pleasure from it. I don't think there's a real good comparison for most people about the sexual frustration he must feel.

There's always rolled up magazines.

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Covok posted:

That's always been a part of Ridley Scott's Alien movies- from Ash shoving a newspaper in Ripley's throat to David getting pissy that Shaw has had sex with her husband and telling her that he watches her dreams in Prometheus to David again mounting Daniels to kiss her and oh, creating a giant penis rape monster in Covenant. Sadly none of the other movies explored that plot point- or at least I can't remember any examples.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Call and Ripley had a thing going on.

"Don't make me do this..."
"Don't make me, make you."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The guy that's about to rape Ripley in Alien 3 accomplishes this by screaming really loudly and putting on goggles before getting metaphorically cockslapped into a penitent state with everyone else by Dillon's lead pipe as he reasserts himself as their spiritual and moral leader. Later, in th "Assembly Cut (which is loving awesome)," he finds redemption by being sealed in a chamber (by Dillon!) and getting torn apart by an eight foot tall penis monster.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 4, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
one of my favorite things about Covenant is that space weed now canonically exists in the Alien universe

:420:

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
They should get James Cameron do a sequel to Prometheus/Covenant called "DAV{I}DS" (*The "I" is glowing, you see) in which Weyland Yutani has lost contact with their colony CN10KJV and the Marines that are sent in to investigate find that an army of Michael Fassbender-played robots have taken over.

Action scenes would include the marines' hideout under siege by the Davids, who all manage to calmly and arrogantly give some navel-gazing trash-talk before being blown away in an explosion of milky robot guts.

*Marines try to close the APC door, but SUDDENLY a David :stare: pokes his head through the opening*

:stare: "The trick is not minding that it hurts!"

:mil101: "EAT THIS" :flame: :gizz:*
*This just symbolizes the white milky-ejaculation explosion, there may not (necessarily!) be a penis involved

In the end they discover the Davids are all the offspring of the Queen David, who is the one we know from the last two movies,; he's been driven mad from his insatiable need to procreate and finally finds a way to transform himself with the black goo/spores, and in his new, more beautiful form he constantly churns out newborn vacuum-sealed Davids from his bloated ovipositor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

All of this verbatim except the Queen David is played by Noomi Rapace dressed as David.