Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

iPodschun posted:

Sephiroth ends July 3 at 5:59 PM Pacific while Cloud starts at July 4 at 6 PM Pacific

For some reason I mixed up dates and thought Sephiroth ran until the 1oth and Noctis ended on the 3rd. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm having rotten luck surviving the first stage of Sephiroth with Wall and two healers, so I guess I'll be skipping those motes.

Are you not using Proshellga or any kind of breaks with wall? This sounds strange.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sephiroth is a horrible jerk, but Rosa USB saw me through. :toot:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Are you not using Proshellga or any kind of breaks with wall? This sounds strange.

Proshellga, Power, Magic, and Full Break, and Wall someone would get murdered during the first pair of AoE.

Proshellga, Vaan BSB, Fran BSB, Full Break, Magic Break (Vaan Cmd 1), and Gaia Cross didn't fair much better.

Everyone but Fran is 99. I'm equipping bonus hp on most people. Everyone is in the back row unless I'm bringing physical DPS as my 5th.

Like I said, I'm confused by how anyone can survive this. Maybe if I had radiant shield, so I could drop any pretense of DPS?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Proshellga, Power, Magic, and Full Break, and Wall someone would get murdered during the first pair of AoE.

Proshellga, Vaan BSB, Fran BSB, Full Break, Magic Break (Vaan Cmd 1), and Gaia Cross didn't fair much better.

Everyone but Fran is 99. I'm equipping bonus hp on most people. Everyone is in the back row unless I'm bringing physical DPS as my 5th.

Like I said, I'm confused by how anyone can survive this. Maybe if I had radiant shield, so I could drop any pretense of DPS?

You basically need either last stand going into that double, a medica timed to go off in the middle, or an instant heal.

I used Eiko's USB as an RW, and cast it there, (then had Tyro use his USB and people casting bursts for individual hastes through the dispels), just slamming it with whoever had full ATB when the meteor went off.

Alternately, if you have a Magic Blink SB you can just blink the Meteor.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I'm thinking of this team for Sephiroth:

Yuna (USB)
Vaan (BSB)
Ramza (Shout)
Tyro (SG)
Vanille (BSB)

RW: Deployment Tactics.

Any suggestions? I feel like I'm missing stuff like Retaliate, but beyond using the abilities, I don't THINK I have a character that have a BSB with auto retaliate. Altought I DO have Beatrix's BSB now that I think about it, she don't have Retaliate.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 2, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cosmic Afro posted:

I'm thinking of this team for Sephiroth:

Yuna (USB)
Vaan (BSB)
Ramza (Shout)
Tyro (SG)
Vanille (BSB)

RW: Deployment Tactics.

Any suggestions? I feel like I'm missing stuff like Retaliate, but beyond using the abilities, I don't THINK I have a character that have a BSB with auto retaliate. Altought I DO have Beatrix's BSB now that I think about it, she don't have Retaliate.

Retaliate isn't particularly important. Draw Fire + Lionheart is a much better multiplier on incoming damage.

That said, the main thing I see there is that you have a lot of buffs and nobody to buff; do you have anyone other than Ramza that can do some real damage? With 2.5 healers, you can probably afford to rely on burst mode for haste; Samurai with an OSB like Seph or Orlandeau who can Lifesiphon+hailstorm can do a lot to get you out of the dangerous parts of the fight. Beatrix with Lionheart spamming her BSB would work too. (Better still if you have her magic blink SSB too.)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 2, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Pulled for Terra/Paladin Cecil USBs and got a Ramza USB and Vaan BSB. I already have Shout, OK BSB, and Setzer BSBs - are these new relics completely obsolete already?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

acumen posted:

Pulled for Terra/Paladin Cecil USBs and got a Ramza USB and Vaan BSB. I already have Shout, OK BSB, and Setzer BSBs - are these new relics completely obsolete already?

Nope. Ramza USB is a unique buff as far as I know and Vaan BSB is amazing at defanging magic bosses.

I have Vaan BSB and it gets a lot of use, especially when going physical team against magic enemy. Its commands even do decent damage, and he can also use Mug Bloodlust for additional break. Vaan is quite good in this game.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ramza USB stacks with everything (as I think it's the first ATK/MAG/DEF buff), and was 100% instrumental in me mastering Sephiroth because party Insta-cast is fantastically clutch when you need it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
They'd be redundant though. Ramza's USB may stack with Shout and Vessel but my A Team dudes are already at the softcap afaik (both magic and physical) with only Vessel. The instant cast thing is probably the only useful thing from it.

I don't see how Vaan's BSB provides any more breakdown than Setzer's? Setzer has -ATK/MAG on entry, -ATK/DEF cmd1, -MAG/RES cmd2, and I usually give him two breakdowns as well. Vaan has the advantage of instant cast, a more offensive skill selection, and his OSB as a bonus so he might be a decent alternative (Setzer is way cooler a character though). Ramza I just can't see being used for now.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Retaliate isn't particularly important. Draw Fire + Lionheart is a much better multiplier on incoming damage.

That said, the main thing I see there is that you have a lot of buffs and nobody to buff; do you have anyone other than Ramza that can do some real damage? With 2.5 healers, you can probably afford to rely on burst mode for haste; Samurai with an OSB like Seph or Orlandeau who can Lifesiphon+hailstorm can do a lot to get you out of the dangerous parts of the fight. Beatrix with Lionheart spamming her BSB would work too. (Better still if you have her magic blink SSB too.)

I've built another team right now, I think, by some of that!

TG Cid, Retaliate+Gaia Cross(Battlescarred), with OSB blasts.
Vaan, Mug Bloodlust+Thief's Revenge(Mako Might), got BSB
Tyro, Power Breakdown+Lifesiphon(Ace Striker), got BSB, SG.
Yuna, Curaise, Protectga, USB
Vanille, Curaja, Shellga, BSB.

RW: Deployment Tactics. My goal is basically to just outlast him with healing, last stands and good timing with magic blinks.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
My strat was to have a tyro wall powerchained and ready to go every time he got near the next dispel so I could cast it during the dispel animation and have it immediately up. Also eiko usb rw and lots of breaks

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

acumen posted:

They'd be redundant though. Ramza's USB may stack with Shout and Vessel but my A Team dudes are already at the softcap afaik (both magic and physical) with only Vessel. The instant cast thing is probably the only useful thing from it.

I don't see how Vaan's BSB provides any more breakdown than Setzer's? Setzer has -ATK/MAG on entry, -ATK/DEF cmd1, -MAG/RES cmd2, and I usually give him two breakdowns as well. Vaan has the advantage of instant cast, a more offensive skill selection, and his OSB as a bonus so he might be a decent alternative (Setzer is way cooler a character though). Ramza I just can't see being used for now.

The USB can give you some other options, though. Not nearly as valuable than if you didn't have either, but I wouldn't say obsolete.

Setzer's Attack/Magic entry is good, but very common so easy to have a source of it elsewhere, and Attack/Defense can be replicated with Mug Bloodlust. Magic/Resistance is good, but since the -RES can only be used by casters, it's not as handy on a physical team and Setzer himself can't take advantage of it. Setzer and Vaan will just be good for different types of encounters, but my point is just that the relic is far from obsolete.

Agreed on Setzer being a cooler character. He's also the better support to Vaan's better DPS. But hey, more tools for more situations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cosmic Afro posted:

I've built another team right now, I think, by some of that!

TG Cid, Retaliate+Gaia Cross(Battlescarred), with OSB blasts.
Vaan, Mug Bloodlust+Thief's Revenge(Mako Might), got BSB
Tyro, Power Breakdown+Lifesiphon(Ace Striker), got BSB, SG.
Yuna, Curaise, Protectga, USB
Vanille, Curaja, Shellga, BSB.

RW: Deployment Tactics. My goal is basically to just outlast him with healing, last stands and good timing with magic blinks.

Drop retaliate, give cid Lionheart and either Hailstorm or Dark bargain; better yet, give Orlandeau Lifesiphon and Battleforged, give Tyro Gaia Cross instead of Lifesiphon, and Battleforged. Put him in the back row. By right around the first dispel, you can basically just have him spam BSB/SG/BSB with maybe an occasional breakdown in between. (It's basically what I did.)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

acumen posted:

The attack softcap is 700 so you'd need about 550 after synergy, which might be possible in some situations, I'd have to check. I'm pretty sure the magic softcap of a bit more than 1,000 is impossible to reach in this manner.

Vaan BSB is less stacky than Setzer, but he has an easier time keeping it up and I believe it ends up doing more damage due to the instant cast entry and speedy commands.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
oh yeah attack was raised recently I guess. I hover around 500 plus holy weapon/armour for Orlandu without synergy so it's pretty close. And my magic user is Cid Raines so yeah.

I'll definitely be using Vaan - especially tonight(? whenever the extra fights unlock). Setzer's still my boy though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Goddammit.

So close.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Drop retaliate, give cid Lionheart and either Hailstorm or Dark bargain; better yet, give Orlandeau Lifesiphon and Battleforged, give Tyro Gaia Cross instead of Lifesiphon, and Battleforged. Put him in the back row. By right around the first dispel, you can basically just have him spam BSB/SG/BSB with maybe an occasional breakdown in between. (It's basically what I did.)

Well! The last little phase keep loving me up with just a few little bars left on Sephiroth. I swear, this game would be improved if it had a percentage number on the bars.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

There's a bartz banner in a little while that has his USB, BSB2, BSB3, and LMR that gives a chance at triplecasting spellblade abilities. Also Faris' USB2. And that Galuf glove that gives the invulnerability thing that I'd like to have. That's probably my next target to save for.

Yeah I'm saving for that too, since Faris is one of my most used characters so If I can get her LMR that'll be swell. Also I want that Galuf glove so bad.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
OK's bsb is an amazing buff and pretty sweet dps. Setzer's bsb is a really good debuffer with an opening that's randomly at osb level power.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
which animation gives him the double attacks? when he bumps the wheel or when it just normally hits?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Crap. Just got 50 mythril to dump on the banner, and I got two of relm's bsb.

I already have two copies of her medica, but I guess I don't need to use it ever anymore. Actually, I have two of each her sb except her usb.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
First pull 2x Curilla SSB. :sigh:

Second pull...

YES YES MOTHERFUCKING YES!!!

I have Wall. :woop:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

100 Gem for a dupe Agrias OSB. I am officially drown in 6* Holy Swords for T. :eyepop:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BGrifter posted:

Second pull...

Congrats! I remember that excitement well :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I pulled despite my better judgement. Got a SSB, a dupe Wall and a dupe Aerith BSB.

I deserve this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok screw Sephiroth. I give up. Any strats for the 300 torment?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BGrifter posted:

Second pull...

I'm jealous. My 1/11 was Wizer Rod, a dupe.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
$1 for Warrior of Light's holy chain.

I am I think 3/18 on dollar pulls the last few months, but they are all discos. What gives?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
$1 pull got me WoL's Chain.

50 Mythril got me Curilla's SSB and BSB.

Both of these results please me. :toot:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

2/11

Zack BSB and Vanille USB

I really did not want a fourth healing usb (only usbs I have actually), though wind imperil is nice. if only I would have gotten this from the imperil banner instead of loving fusoya twice.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yaaaayyyyy Native Wall! :neckbeard:
I can finally stop pulling for it after a year and a half! And finally have all pieces of the original trinity!

And also a Dupe Excalibur (FFT), which, okay, upgrade to a +Holy sword, so not terrible.

But yay Native Wall!

EDIT: Wow, seems kinda weird to take the long sought after relic to just three fights, then promptly never equip it again (I have two books that are just straight up better).

HPanda fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 3, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

HPanda posted:

EDIT: Wow, seems kinda weird to take the long sought after relic to just three fights, then promptly never equip it again (I have two books that are just straight up better).

I was just thinking that. So excited to pull it, two Orbfest fights later it goes in the Vault. :doh:

Gotta figure out how to rework my A-team with all these new toys.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I did it! I finally killed Sephiroth.

I spent the day grinding 2 stamina dungeons to unlock Squall's Lionheart, which turned out to be amazing.

Here was my party:

Beatrix, Drawfire+Shellga, SSB (mBlink), Lionheart
Cid Raines, Wrath, BSB
Vaan, Wrath+Powerbreakdown (for turn one), BSB, MakoMight
Fran, Wrath+Fullbreak, BSB, Dr. Mog
Vanille, Curaja+Protectga, BSB

RW: Eiko USB

Couldn't have done it without Eiko or the massive mBlink spam. I brought Raines because a calculator told me he'd do slightly better damage than my best physical guys (even with Vann's defense breaks) and I'm really glad I did. Just barely won, another second and everyone would have been dead. I also ran out of Curaja hones because Vanille's BSB is terrible at single target healing.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
After debating it for a couple days, I took a third pull on banner 4 right before it expired (I was going to use it on 5, or maybe just hold onto it for future opportunities) and picked up Zell's BSB to go with Fujin/Vaan BSBs, Gilgamesh/Ramza USBs, and a couple Genji Gloves, making yet another FFT 8* relic. If I have any FFT relics that aren't 8*, I'm pretty sure I'll draw a couple on the next dungeon update and take care of that. Please have more FFT events dena, I'm pretty sure I can roll over a despair-level boss at this point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

As someone who mastered Seph with 3 Heal/2 Support and a Radiant Shield RW: Tifa's USB (Meteodrive) may well be a better option than Deployment Tactics if you're playing full defense. Alph's 610 buff is good if you're running hybrid with an OSB, but Tifa brings Hastega instead, which can be useful if you're using one of your healers for a USB instead.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i have a cid's mission for a fight that doesnt exist

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Took a second shot at sephiroth with turtle alpha strat. Won, no mastery. A couple close calls and by the end I was absolutely spamming vanilles bsb, but it worked alright most of the time.

Alph SSB with haste and drainga (drainga helped haste was just filler to build charge)
Firion BSB with power and magic breakdowns (mblink and reasonable damage)
Tyro with wall, full break, and powerchain to up wall quickly after dispels
Ovelia both SSBs and Aegis SB with protectga and ultra cure
Vanille BSB with shellga and curaja

RW eiko USB for last stand and hastega

I'd throw up all mitigation, rw, and deployment tactics.

Then keep up healing and build charge as I could. Keep tyro ready with pc to re-wall, ovelia to proshellga or aegis depending on circumstances, vanille to bsb as needed, and firion to provide mblink if I was really hurting.

The rate of incoming damage made wipes possible even with my best effort, but I got lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Oh and pulled Zack bsb with my dollar pull on banner 5, which is easily my best physical relic for ffvii. Between him and my Cid's goggles I guess wind is the general direction I'm being pushed, huh.

• Locked thread