Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So how is major retaliate different from retaliate

it does 20% more damage

yeah it's pretty lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Using the points method for rating banners the upcoming Cloud banner is only worth 9 points for me. I might have to pass, especially since I need to save up for any decent water heavy banners. I currently have nothing good of that element. My ice coverage is also terrible.

Any post cloud banners people are excited about that are coming up?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

KPC_Mammon posted:

Using the points method for rating banners the upcoming Cloud banner is only worth 9 points for me. I might have to pass, especially since I need to save up for any decent water heavy banners. I currently have nothing good of that element. My ice coverage is also terrible.

Any post cloud banners people are excited about that are coming up?

There's a bartz banner in a little while that has his USB, BSB2, BSB3, and LMR that gives a chance at triplecasting spellblade abilities. Also Faris' USB2. And that Galuf glove that gives the invulnerability thing that I'd like to have. That's probably my next target to save for.

Rikku's USB is in a couple weeks also and that's supposed to be good but don't know how the rest of the banner is rated. Her water BSB is on there too it looks like.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 1, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

There's a bartz banner in a little while that has his USB, BSB2, BSB3, and LMR that gives a chance at triplecasting spellblade abilities. Also Faris' USB2. And that Galuf glove that gives the invulnerability thing that I'd like to have. That's probably my next target to save for.

Rikku's USB is in a couple weeks also and that's supposed to be good but don't know how the rest of the banner is rated. Her water BSB is on there too it looks like.

Rikku's USB is hastega, attack and magic boost, and protectga and shellga

It makes almost all friend summons obsolete

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I'm still planning to do one pull on Cloud, but my main goal is the Rikku banner, since that has a lot of water and a bit of ice/earth/wind. Then I am saving pretty hard for the aforementioned Bartz/Faris banner, because it just looks absurd and I already have some stuff for each of them.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

KPC_Mammon posted:

Help! I'm really tempted to legend dive terra since I have her USB, OSB, and lovely BSB. She is also my favorite character in the franchise.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure this is a terrible idea since the meta will be swinging hard towards physical next week and she shares motes with healers. The way motes are divided up seems to really favor physical teams since you'll be able to dive your top dps and top healer at the same time.

Could someone persuade me one way or the other regarding Terra?
Hi, Terra is also my favorite. I fed her motes the first time around and I'm feeding them to her first this time around, too. Your decision is fine - just note it comes with a cost.

I don't use Terra all the time. I use my full-time healers and support more often, especially when raiding. I know I'd get a lot of bang for my buck if I fed motes to Y'shtola, but those motes will counter eventually. Doing content with my favorite characters is what's fun for me in this game: especially if they hit like a truck.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prav posted:

sephiroth is horseshit. gently caress this fight.

I'm waiting until the FF7 event so I can RW Cloud's USB and try the "do several hundred thousand damage with Orlandu's BSB because gently caress bosses" strategy.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm waiting until the FF7 event so I can RW Cloud's USB and try the "do several hundred thousand damage with Orlandu's BSB because gently caress bosses" strategy.

I think it goes away before Cloud USB drops, though I haven't checked the exact times and if there's a few hours of overlap.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Finally completed the Sephiroth fight. gently caress mastery. Mastery would require spending money, and I'm not gonna start now after already coming this far. :colbert:

Eiko, Angelsong Curada, BSB, Battleforged
Vincent, Meltdown Wrath, BSB, Dr. Mog's Teachings
Minfillia, Gaia Cross Entrust, BSB, Lionheart
Yshtola, Curaise Shellga, BSB and WALL, Mako Might
Yuna, Curaja Protectga, USB, Ace Striker

RW Eiko USB

This is a terrible strategy, don't do this unless you want to set a personal record for characters killed in a single fight. You certainly won't clear the Octoslash requirement.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

Greg's USB is kind of an investment in the future, for when they release a few samurai skills that get a boost from Retaliate.

Ehhh. You see, there are problems with that. I have found only one setup for Greg USB that's at all effective:
Lifesiphon/Saint or Gaia Cross

The USB does not come with any draw fire mechanic, so you have to supply that with abilities. Also, the High Retaliate from the USB, like normal retaliate, only lasts 15 seconds. That's short. If you want to keep it up, you pretty much need to be spamming lifesiphon on your free turns.

Greg USB is one of the worst USBs in the game. Really poor entry damage, no way to elementally boost it, its main gimmick is hardly better than a 2* ability, and it's totally reliant on a specific ability load to actually work for anything. Great stat stick, though!

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

A few dicey moments, but in the end only Eiko died and I scraped by with mastery. I must have just come in under ten Octoslashes, by the end Vincent had gauge almost every turn. I would also would like to give a shoutout to Mog's BSB and its instant heal CMD1.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i dont know if theres a more permanent fix but if you have that android issue where the button images are shifted down you can just hit the home button on your phone and minimize the game and then bring it back up and it'll be fine

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Ehhh. You see, there are problems with that. I have found only one setup for Greg USB that's at all effective:
Lifesiphon/Saint or Gaia Cross

The USB does not come with any draw fire mechanic, so you have to supply that with abilities. Also, the High Retaliate from the USB, like normal retaliate, only lasts 15 seconds. That's short. If you want to keep it up, you pretty much need to be spamming lifesiphon on your free turns.

Greg USB is one of the worst USBs in the game. Really poor entry damage, no way to elementally boost it, its main gimmick is hardly better than a 2* ability, and it's totally reliant on a specific ability load to actually work for anything. Great stat stick, though!

Can confirm, I give it to Lion a lot, which I feel is pretty appropriate.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Sephiroth was not too bad for me. Ran tauntaliate for the first time in a long time.

Would have Ramza USB queued up to go off just after a dispel then get the mitigation back up. Orlandeau soaked a ton of damage, and he was the only one to go down once, but Yuna RW kept him up.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I just noticed that Fran and Vaan's BSBs don't overlap. I need to level them up so I can't check, but could taking both bypass the need for wall when fighting bosses that love dispel? Sephiroth, for example.

Edit: According to a calculator I found online, Gaze of the Void and Ark Blast are nearly as good as Wall vs. Magic when combined. Not nearly as good vs. Physical of course.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 2, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ugh I have more than enough gear to beat Seph but I just do not feel like memorizing all the dumbass timing for this fight. There are way too many moments where you need to have the right thing perfectly queued up or you just lose, and as much as I want those motes, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Really hope they don't make a habit of locking all the motes behind absurdly hard content like they've done with this and the D300 Bahamut.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What am I doing wrong with jecht?

He wipes out a person with triumphant grasp through several layers of mitigation. I can't win if my dps or healer goes down that early.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pander posted:

He wipes out a person with triumphant grasp through several layers of mitigation. I can't win if my dps or healer goes down that early.

Triumphant grasp ignores defense. Compose your party of magic users and ranged weapon users, if theyre in the back row the attack becomes pretty weak.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Pander posted:

Jecht has some def ignoring attacks like Triumphant Grasp. Can you rotate or RW in some alternate methods of survival like Last Stand or Stoneskin?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pander posted:

If all else fails, just have your front liners defend when he goes into Overdrive above 50%

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
In case it helps anyone, another Sephiroth team:

Vanille BSB, Alph SSB, Faris BSB (full breakdown) & USB (hyperbreak), Mustadio BSB (reverse wall), Cid (shout clone)

Basically just debuffed the hell out of him and kept haste up as well as I could. Definitely messed up a lot of timing (having dispel cast when everyone had a totally empty ATB gauge, casting Shout clone moments before a dispel, etc), but you get gauge so fast toward the end that as long as you can take the hits you can get your SBs up again quickly. Cid didn't contribute THAT much so Shout would probably work just as well, and you wouldn't lose that much by just putting Power BD and Full Break on Faris instead of her BSB, with maybe magic BD on another character.

I had intended to put this fight off until the last phase, not realizing it ends before orbfest. Almost missed doing it entirely.

Pander posted:

Triumphant Grasp, as well as the overdrive he uses later, ignore DEF. So basically your options are to debuff his ATK as much as possible, put as many people in the back row as possible, and try to defend when he goes into overdrive mode. Or bring a Last Stand option.

Edit: beaten soundly.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 2, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh I have more than enough gear to beat Seph but I just do not feel like memorizing all the dumbass timing for this fight. There are way too many moments where you need to have the right thing perfectly queued up or you just lose, and as much as I want those motes, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Really hope they don't make a habit of locking all the motes behind absurdly hard content like they've done with this and the D300 Bahamut.

If you're going the Deployment Tactics route, no memorization needed. Just have one person ready to go with an instant heal, either through RW or native, at around the cutoff points (or just always available if super lazy). If you're letting him kill himself, the fight actually isn't that hectic, especially if you break the hell out of him to keep the damage manageable. I went with 2.5 healers (.5 was Alph with a curaga) and two breakers. This didn't yield mastery because my own damage was pretty much non-existent and couldn't win the less than 10 octoslashes condition, but I ended the battle with full health and no one down. Switching out a breaker for a burst DPS could have gotten mastery without a problem.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

What relics are on the Cloud USB banner? I usually use BKP but for some reason some of the images aren't loading

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5kvadn/jp_vii_cloud_usb_is_here_real_banner/

That's what it was in Japan.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks!

So my fest was salvaged by 2nd pull on P4 for Vaan BSB, Fujin BSB and Alph SSB. 250 mythril for just those three is good enough.

Now the wallet is empty though. Wise folk of the Something Awful Games subforum: Phase 5 or Cloud USB?

Cloud USB has no dupes and much needed RS gear but the SSB items aren't useful beyond RS/CM stuff. Does Cloud USB even do anything unless I also pull BSB2?

P5 dupes are the Agrias relics and Vanille USB. Though Agrias pulls wouldn't be a disaster, my Ragnarok is fully augmented and giving it more power is fine. Excalibur I could reforge to 8*. The banner has Wall which I lack and could use a 2nd healer BSB especially as I have Aeris and Vanille USBs already. Downside is my phys holy team is pretty strong as is.

Was supposed to pull on both but the extra P4 pull made me go broke. Can do just one pull before going bankrupt. I'm thinking P5 currently.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Cloud USB is good by itself but not incredible. With it native, you could RW whatever else onto Cloud to make it incredible, but this would just work for Cloud. If you RW it, you can combine it with whatever else you have. However, if you're always needing to RW Wall, these become trickier.

That said, no dupes is generally preferable to dupes. You're at least guaranteed to get something new if nothing else, whereas you risk getting just a small upgrade to one of your relics otherwise. But never chase single relics.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

HPanda posted:

Cloud USB is good by itself but not incredible. With it native, you could RW whatever else onto Cloud to make it incredible, but this would just work for Cloud. If you RW it, you can combine it with whatever else you have. However, if you're always needing to RW Wall, these become trickier.

That said, no dupes is generally preferable to dupes. You're at least guaranteed to get something new if nothing else, whereas you risk getting just a small upgrade to one of your relics otherwise. But never chase single relics.

And again, it's always worth noting that Native is the only way to get it into the Magicite Dungeons.

Also thanks for the advice above, bring Vaan and Fran to a part along with Alph, Garnet and Y'sh got me an Expert on the Crisis Seph fight. :toot:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Cloud USB requires a certain amount of party support before it becomes stupidly good. If you manage to pull both Cloud USB and Zack CSB, you're set, but otherwise it actually requires a pretty significant amount of setup to really take off. I actually have Cloud USB in Japan (pulled it on the last fest) but have had better success just sticking to my mage party because it's smoother and faster, believe it or not.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

Cloud USB requires a certain amount of party support before it becomes stupidly good. If you manage to pull both Cloud USB and Zack CSB, you're set, but otherwise it actually requires a pretty significant amount of setup to really take off. I actually have Cloud USB in Japan (pulled it on the last fest) but have had better success just sticking to my mage party because it's smoother and faster, believe it or not.

Yup, that I can agree to. I don't have it native but so far my best results from RWing it have come when I used it with my regular party on Lion. Get Shout, Intervene and Chant up, use Lion USB to Hyper Break the target and get a stack of instant-cast, use the first one to pop Cloud USB then hit her BSB and go to town. Usually crack 18-20k a hit on the entry and then between 24-30k per command against 220 diff bosses, with bonus casts here and there thanks to her LM2.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HPanda posted:

I don't have a native shout so I always RW that - Cloud USB wouldn't get to the high numbers without a native shout then would it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Sephiroth down. Contrary to most, I found what finally worked for me was moving away from turtlestrat ton something a bit more aggressive; rocked a Seph BSB + OSB combo, and assorted buff/healing pieces, and blitzed out a 41 second kill.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is today the last Sephiroth day? Gonna try out Vincent, Tyro, Yshtola + Vanille. I think for the last slot I'll do Minfillia since she can tank and debuff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Went with full back row cast vs jecht.

Fran bsb
Kain bsb
Rapha bsb
Tyro wall
Yshy bsb

I used as much lightning gear as I could and figured I'd just dps with rapha and Kain. It worked but I didn't pack haste beyond two charges of edge ssb via RW, so I'd get slowed so much it drove me insane. The mitigation and asylum kept damage low.

Lost two medals, battle took 15 mins, would not buy again.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Try wearing slow resist accessories next time.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Pulled on banner 4, got Ramza's Chant, Alphinaud's Burst (and I already had Deployment Tactics, so I'm very glad to get this one), Relm's Burst (and I already had her Ultra, but I usually use Y'shtola or Vanille unless synergy's involved).

I really wanted Vaan's breakdown knife but I only have 100 mithril left; I was going to save that for banner 5 because I don't have a native wall. I'm assuming that it would be a Bad Idea to pull on 4 again, because I should save my mithril for 5 (and probably Cloud/Rikku's banners shortly thereafter). Does his burst ever come back on a later banner?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

3/11 on Banner 4!

Excalibur IV (Dupe), Orichalcum Dirk x2 (Dupe x2). That and Alph's SSB were the only dupes on the banner for me :mad:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Evil Fluffy posted:

LornMarkus posted:

I think it goes away before Cloud USB drops, though I haven't checked the exact times and if there's a few hours of overlap.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is today the last Sephiroth day? Gonna try out Vincent, Tyro, Yshtola + Vanille. I think for the last slot I'll do Minfillia since she can tank and debuff.
Sephiroth ends July 3 at 5:59 PM Pacific while Cloud starts at July 4 at 6 PM Pacific

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm having rotten luck surviving the first stage of Sephiroth with Wall and two healers, so I guess I'll be skipping those motes.

It is really frustrating because I've had no issues with any recent time limited stuff and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

I also couldn't survive with Vaan BSB, Fran BSB, and Gilgamesh BSB mitigating damage.

I have zero VII synergy armor, how much of a factor would this be?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm having rotten luck surviving the first stage of Sephiroth with Wall and two healers, so I guess I'll be skipping those motes.

It is really frustrating because I've had no issues with any recent time limited stuff and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

I also couldn't survive with Vaan BSB, Fran BSB, and Gilgamesh BSB mitigating damage.

I have zero VII synergy armor, how much of a factor would this be?

I managed to do it with Vaan and Fran plus Alph, Y'sh and Garnet. I do however have two VII Bangles, and a pair of Cid's Goggles though, not to mention Cloud's Ragnarok to let Vaan do good damage so that may have tilted the scales in my favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tomorrow I believe.

• Locked thread