Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

AbstractNapper posted:

It doesn't sound that useless. I am guessing it doesn't work on rooms where the door lock upon a user action (like the challenge rooms or boss rush), but it could be useful if you are going for the Keeper's achievements or have a poor build and want to avoid going through the most bullshit rooms where 9 out of 10 times you will take damage, especially if you can find another path to the boss rooms.

I don't know how they missed that it crashes those special rooms though. Aren't they supposed to be playtesting the booster packs for at least a month?

They did test them but nobody could get to the mom fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So is this still a broken mess with AB+, or worth getting on the steam sale?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SaviourX posted:

So is this still a broken mess with AB+, or worth getting on the steam sale?

Broken, no not at all. There are some items that can be run killers or are ineffectual.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
So I wasn't playing BoI for a while and just recently came back to it. For these daily runs, are they always this easy? It seems like the last few I've done have all had access to OP shot enhancers like Death's Touch, Mutant Spider, and in today's case 20/20, and then there are always lots of damage upgrades that follow. I'm not complaining as part of the charm of this game, to me at least, is being able to clear out rooms in a matter of seconds, but it seems like some of these runs could stand to be more challenging.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

InterrupterJones posted:

So I wasn't playing BoI for a while and just recently came back to it. For these daily runs, are they always this easy? It seems like the last few I've done have all had access to OP shot enhancers like Death's Touch, Mutant Spider, and in today's case 20/20, and then there are always lots of damage upgrades that follow. I'm not complaining as part of the charm of this game, to me at least, is being able to clear out rooms in a matter of seconds, but it seems like some of these runs could stand to be more challenging.

Are you playing the same game? (legit question btw, Afterbirth dailies are different from Afterbirth+, and even Switch Afterbirth+ has differences from PC version) Yesterday's PC AB+ was a curated daily with every conceivable curse in which you have to reach mega satan as blue baby. Afterbirth+ dailies have gained real infamy for being abhorrent; you must be scoping out the good ones!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

that ivy guy posted:

Are you playing the same game? (legit question btw, Afterbirth dailies are different from Afterbirth+, and even Switch Afterbirth+ has differences from PC version) Yesterday's PC AB+ was a curated daily with every conceivable curse in which you have to reach mega satan as blue baby. Afterbirth+ dailies have gained real infamy for being abhorrent; you must be scoping out the good ones!

Ah, I don't have Afterbirth+, only Afterbirth. I'm sure at some point I'll get that DLC.(When it's not broken, apparently?)

I will admit I'm not playing them consistently every day, but the ones I do play only ever end as far as It Lives!, and today only went to basic Mom fight.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
What's broken about AB+? I haven't had any new issues since the void portal got fixed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingShiro posted:

What's broken about AB+? I haven't had any new issues since the void portal got fixed.

just the usual general issues with the item pool being too bloated and dickhole rooms popping up and enemies taking way too much time to kill if you have slightly below-average luck

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I do tend to hate HP sponges in any game, really. Especially if you're getting damage+ items, but can't keep pace or haven't unlocked ridiculous combos yet.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Every time I see Ipecac and decide "sure, I can work with this" the next floor is Curse of the Blind + Cricket's Body

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I get really sad when I find Host Hat on the first floor and don't get ipecac or any bomb powerup or even curse of the tower.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Luckily I still won because I ended up with Guppy's Head + The Habit so I could just spawn nuclear flies and pass rooms without shooting anywhere.
I guess that's the kind of bittersweet that Eden runs are all about; take the good with the bad.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Decided to cosplay as a Uranium atom this run.

Could not figure out what was doing damage to me sometimes on shooting a tear. Some stupid green fart item. Made a very fun build kinda shakey.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

graynull posted:

Decided to cosplay as a Uranium atom this run.

Could not figure out what was doing damage to me sometimes on shooting a tear. Some stupid green fart item. Made a very fun build kinda shakey.

Fruit Cake has a chance to shoot tiny Ipecac tears

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Did anybody get BoI on the Switch? Is it just me, or do the controls seem super floaty compared to the PC version? I'm used to using a Dualshock 4, and I can barely move in a straight line with the Switch Pro Controller.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Mons Hubris posted:

Did anybody get BoI on the Switch? Is it just me, or do the controls seem super floaty compared to the PC version? I'm used to using a Dualshock 4, and I can barely move in a straight line with the Switch Pro Controller.

A lot of people don't think the Pro d-pad is very good and that might be why. Playing on the Joycon I've had no real issues outside of the still-unfixed Lokii bug preventing a full clear.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Finally got 1001% on the PS4 version. Just needed hard mode hush, and the game finally took pity on me, threw me a pyromaniac on the first floor, the bombs from which allowed me to find the swallowed penny. A floor later the curse of the tower was sitting in a secret room, bought phd and made a few devil deals because I had health up pills, not to mention the orbital flies. By the time I got the relic in a treasure room it was pretty clear the game had just decided to hand me a win. And now I never have to touch the keeper ever again.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

I still use the joycons on the Switch and I don't really have an issue. Then again I've always used the joysticks on ps4 for BoI so I'm not used to the dpads.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been chipping away at Keeper.
My last run has Mutant Spider, Lost Contact and the loving KEEPERS HEAD.

I still lost just before Mom. Why does this character make me bad at this game? I have way better runs with Lost.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

My Isaac productivity increased tenfold when I found out you can continuously hold R to keep the floors rerolling until you stop. I know it's cheap, but so is the game at its core. Cheat the cheater.

Inzombiac posted:

I've been chipping away at Keeper.
My last run has Mutant Spider, Lost Contact and the loving KEEPERS HEAD.

I still lost just before Mom. Why does this character make me bad at this game? I have way better runs with Lost.
The Lost is simply hard, and good players can work that; Keeper is hard by sucking, and you suffer no matter how good you are.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Orange Harrison posted:

The Lost is simply hard, and good players can work that; Keeper is hard by sucking, and you suffer no matter how good you are.

Yeah, things like The Lost's flight, free devil deals, regenerating Holy Mantle (which also allows for mostly free curse rooms) give him a lot of help to balance out the health situation. Keeper just sucks, even if you get Swallowed Penny and are very good with it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The Keeper sucks.

But if you keep at doing runs with him, you will eventually get better and you will notice synergies and opportunities to break the game (especially if you intend to go to Hush or Delirium).

Obviously he gets a lot easier with Greed's Gullet -- just make sure you really know how that item works, because it can screw you too. And I also think that it's almost never a good idea to pick up Dead Cat with the Keeper. Especially with Greed's Gullet and if you already had tons of money. Also don't take Devil Deals unless you have secured a health up (I think the Strength card also works, but I am not sure).

Swallowed penny makes it easy to use Blood Banks -- you just have to be careful, but at least you don't straight out die like the Lost. Also it makes it easier to use the sacrifice rooms up to their chance for "good" rewards (up to before the troll bombs stage) or further if you are on a Mega Satan run and are strong enough to beat the angels.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Swallowed penny makes it easy to use Blood Banks -- you just have to be careful, but at least you don't straight out die like the Lost. Also it makes it easier to use the sacrifice rooms up to their chance for "good" rewards (up to before the troll bombs stage) or further if you are on a Mega Satan run and are strong enough to beat the angels.

Yeah farming early sacrifice rooms for bonus angel items/rooms is very nice. If you already are done with the Lost, Godhead is one of the best things for keeper since the shots that normally miss enemies will curve towards them with the damaging halo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Orange Harrison posted:

My Isaac productivity increased tenfold when I found out you can continuously hold R to keep the floors rerolling until you stop. I know it's cheap, but so is the game at its core. Cheat the cheater.

And then it cheats you back by unlocking half blue hearts.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Remember when The Lost didn't have a holy mantle?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Saddest Robot posted:

Yes, which is why I rerolled as The Lost constantly until my first item room was Holy Mantle.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

dis astranagant posted:

I thought it was confirmed that this is not actually a bad thing -- that they don't replace the full soul heart drop, rather the red heart drops or something.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Yeah, I was pretty much resetting until Dead Cat or Holy mantle. Or a particularly strong item if it meant a fun run despite the constant death risk. I got my first Boss Rush win with the Lost without holy mantle or Dead cat, but I did have Ipecac, really good damage and pay-to-win with lots of money, so I basically just had to spam the spacebar.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I still restart spam if I'm getting frustrated but lately I've been commiting to "bad" runs.
I'll give them credit: If you are skilled and can tough out a bad start, almost all games are winnable fairly easily.

Not Brimstone/Epic Fetus easy but not too bad.

Lately I seem to always get Tech X or The Pencil. Friggin love those two.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ludovico + Rainbow Worm + Fruit Cake.
I had no idea what was going on and something completely random killed me, oh well.

I got Syntax Error (?) that gave me 20/20, Mr. Fetus, Pyromaniac, Soy Milk, with flaming/poison/prize bombs.
Every single room was carpeted with items.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I got a fun combo of Mom's Knife, Brimstone, Continuum, and Loki's Horn. Walls of knives like Dio

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I was stuck in a curse of the lost(I think) map for loving AAAAGES the other day. It kept warming me across the drat map and naturally, my way back kept warping me around, back again and ffffffffffffcuk.

Still waiting for that Xbox update. Enter the Gungeon just isn't the same.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man, the Delirium fight as The Lost is intense - even with a heavy-duty Mom's Knife loadout, it took me like 6 failed attempts (I had Dead Cat + the guppy transformation) and a bunch of kinda resets (I had Dad's Key + a bunch of batteries in the void) plus having him take way too much damage as Larry Jr. or whatever form takes a ton of damage when transformed.

It was pretty cool to get Daddy Long Legs on like the second room of basement 1 and be like "this is the run" and actually be right.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Man, the Delirium fight as The Lost is intense - even with a heavy-duty Mom's Knife loadout, it took me like 6 failed attempts (I had Dead Cat + the guppy transformation) and a bunch of kinda resets (I had Dad's Key + a bunch of batteries in the void) plus having him take way too much damage as Larry Jr. or whatever form takes a ton of damage when transformed.

It was pretty cool to get Daddy Long Legs on like the second room of basement 1 and be like "this is the run" and actually be right.

I really don't know if I'll ever beat this. Though I did beat Ultra Greedier as the Lost so who knows.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Daddy Long Legs is one of those items where, if I get it early on, I'll do whatever I can to salvage and beat that run.

If I also get Gnawed Leaf, I go watch a movie while winning.

Cut n' Run is the ABSOLUTE best item for Greed mode. loving come at me!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Daddy Long Legs is one of those items where, if I get it early on, I'll do whatever I can to salvage and beat that run.

If I also get Gnawed Leaf, I go watch a movie while winning.

Cut n' Run is the ABSOLUTE best item for Greed mode. loving come at me!

Agreed though Brown Nugget is hilarious and a big help.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BreakAtmo posted:

Agreed though Brown Nugget is hilarious and a big help.

I take it back, Sprinkler is the best Greed item. I once got it first round and a lot of the battery items. I got up to 10 of them in one round.

A friend told me he was very proud of having 5 followers in one round.

He is like a dumb, little baby to me

Just kidding but that run made me trip over all my followers.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Not if you don't buy that hot mess! :clint:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BreakAtmo posted:

I really don't know if I'll ever beat this. Though I did beat Ultra Greedier as the Lost so who knows.

I didn't play the game between like February and last week since all I had left were Delirium with Lost/Keeper, then a friend wanted to do a co-op run last Saturday and on my first day of attempts after that I got the run. vOv

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't think I could get the half a grey heart on the Switch since I can't do the quick reset but it must have felt sorry for me and gave it to me when I died in a lost run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i like that i just punk hush and ultra greed now (but delirium and ultra ultra greed just wreck my poo poo)