Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I really hope that Marleau stays healthy and refuses to waive his NMC, forcing the Leafs to actually his contract count against the salary cap when 2019-20 rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope they make Marleau the captain.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Aphrodite posted:

According to this medical report Patrick Marleau has approximately 1.5 years left to live. Starting in October.
So, uh, if he dies do the leafs still have to eat his cap hit?

E; I'm seeing a great plot for Sudden death 2 forming up here. The Rock can be the ex something something hero, and Gary Oldman could be the team owner that hires Mads Mikkleson and his crew to take over the leafs arena during a game and kill their aging superstar in order to free up some cap space.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 2, 2017

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Marleau's gonna be old and busted as gently caress when that contract is up but the Leafs have cap space like crazy in the future and people are overestimating what the big three are gonna cost imo.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I still don't like that deal fwiw but next year should be fun

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/881650169783234561

Kuznetsov getting paid.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that sure is a lot of money

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok now Leon sign 8x8

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
How much of Washington's cap is tied up in

Ovechkin
Kuznetsov
Holtby

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Let's talk about the Maple Leafs more.

Kadri is due for a 80 point season with the addition of Marleau.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Krime posted:

Ovechkin - $9,538,462
Kuznetsov - $7,800,000
Holtby - $6,100,000

31.2%.

Right now, Caps have roughly $4.7 mil left in cap space and still need to re-sign Burakovsky and Grubauer on top of getting at least 2 more forwards and 1 more defenseman. Their cap situation is unpleasant right now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Krime posted:

Ovechkin
Kuznetsov
Holtby

And Orpik

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Marleau's gonna be old and busted as gently caress when that contract is up but the Leafs have cap space like crazy in the future and people are overestimating what the big three are gonna cost imo.

You just saw the McDavid contract, right?
If you still believe the big three are gonna be bridge-deal'd or are gonna sign sweetheart deals and bail the Leafs out of cap-hell you're very naive.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

For fun I was going to add Orpik and Oshie to my list but decided against it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a bad deal for Marleau in isolation but for where the Leafs are it's probably fine. He's not what he was, but he's still an effective middle 6 player and even at 38 or 39 I don't see that changing. Alfy was fine in Detroit. It gives the Leafs a legit offensive player to play with the kids, and they needed that.

Koopa Kid posted:

If they want to sign them long term, 25M is probably the floor for the three of them. Matthews and Marner have two more years to show how much they're worth. Coming out of the ELC they are gonna get paid.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals have $4.66M of cap space and only have 9 NHL forwards, 5 NHL defensemen, and one NHL goalie under contract. Obviously they are going to call some Hershey guys up to round out the roster but something has to give.

Hoping this is a precursor to Orpik getting traded. Honestly the Kuznetsov deal is fine. It's paying his prime years and he clearly produces like a 1C. Having Backstrom and Kuznetsov is pretty great top-end center depth.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What I want to know is what other team(s) were bidding Marleau up to the point that the Leafs had to give him 3/20 to sign.

He's still a pretty good possession guy but he doesn't score much anymore and I'd rather give Jagr 1/5 than Marleau that contract

Hand Knit posted:

The Marleau deal is good. He plays a year and a half for Toronto then either hangs out on Robidas Island or gets traded to Vegas once his cap hit is significantly lower than his actual pay.

e: Once his signing bonus finishes, a team can take him on for 1.25 million in actual pay versus a 6.25 million cap hit.

This was the first thing I thought too, "aha, this is exactly how a rich team leverages its money, they can just move him into Arizona's cap space for the third year".

Except they gave him a full NMC.

:psyduck:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
someone offer sheet burakovsky

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The Marleau deal is bad but it's short, so whatever.

Someone should definitely drag Lou out of the front office, though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's still a pretty good possession guy but he doesn't score much anymore and I'd rather give Jagr 1/5 than Marleau that contract

Marleau can play all 3 forward position and kill penalties. The cap isn't a problem except in the third year.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Signing a 25 year old to eight years is a good move, ends when he's 33. Signing people to long term deals that end when they're 38 (Oshie, Orpik) for money they probably don't deserve right now is hosed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/881643827488051201

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Assuming that what the three of them did last year wasn't a mirage and they trend in the direction of players their age, you can reasonably expect them to cost $25m+ combined.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Leafs are going to buy Marleau out after the second year :toxx:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Leafs are going to buy Marleau out after the second year :toxx:

Well, about that...

Even if it wasn't for that, his contract would still be buyout proof due to all the signing bonuses.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

As someone who has been watching Marleau for basically his whole career, he plays smart hockey, he is fast, and he doesn't play a physical style that will lead him to get hurt.

I actually think he will be a very good vet for the kids.

With that being said Im glad the Sharks didnt pay him that contract.

I also want to see a Kovalchuk/ Hertl / Jagr line now.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/status/881667566749577216

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bae shero

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Roughly $4.6 mil freed up by the Caps. So now they have $9.24 mil cap space to sign Burakovsky, Grubauer, at least 3 forwards and at least 1 defenseman!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kilza posted:

Well, about that...

Even if it wasn't for that, his contract would still be buyout proof due to all the signing bonuses.

Oh... oh dear. :ohdear:

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

It's cool that Washington is getting worse, it would be even cooler if it wasn't other metro teams benefitting from such moves

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Marcus Johansson goes to a team with an accomplished history of Swedish players, such as Patrik Sundstrom, Jacob Josefson and Mattias Tedenby

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

That's Andrew Shaw territory

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

If they want to sign them long term, 25M is probably the floor for the three of them. Matthews and Marner have two more years to show how much they're worth. Coming out of the ELC they are gonna get paid.

There's still lots of RFA years too, I agree with your long-term estimate but I can see a bridge deal or two potentially, especially if anyone has a rough year or injuries happen.

Plus I think they can absorb $25M over the next three seasons just fine, the only other major player coming up for a contract is Gardiner and there's over $40M in space opening up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Aww I like MoJo, sucks he's gone. I think he could play top 6 all the time but it's hard on Washington's roster. Good deal for New Jersey.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
58 points last year, for a 2nd and 3rd. drat, there has been no mercy for cap ceiling teams this summer so far and it owns

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that is a good deal for nj, but, correct me if i'm wrong, the devils are still not Good

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Assuming that what the three of them did last year wasn't a mirage and they trend in the direction of players their age, you can reasonably expect them to cost $25m+ combined.

I understand that, what I'm referencing is the people looking at the speculation over McDavid's deal and saying the Leafs need to gear up too. The way pundits are talking you'd think Matthews is getting $12M and Nylander/Marner are gonna get Toews/Kane money and I don't think that'll happen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

the only other major player coming up for a contract is Gardiner and there's over $40M in space opening up.

JVR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

a false posted:

that is a good deal for nj, but, correct me if i'm wrong, the devils are still not Good

the defense is still a mess but the devils seem to have something resembling forward depth

• Locked thread