Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So getting in the top 20 is a breeze.

All you need to do is get equipped with literally anything that doesn't suck and drive around in a vehicle like a maniac until the final few circles at which point you need to ditch it.

It's just not very fun.
And you're probably not going to get much farther than the top 20 because you're not practicing engagements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I think I'm getting decent at sniping. Learning to zero better.

https://youtu.be/5wkplvQK0MA

We also won this one, with me at 4 kills and the last poor fucker dying outside the zone because our whole squad had him pinned inside a building.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Just had maybe my favorite open to a match. Duo, dropped on the main road next to mylta to grab a car. Its a contested drop due to plane path. I grab uaz and a rando gets in the backseat. My buddy gets in a dacia but encounters that annoying bug/feature where you enter from driver side and it puts you in the passenger and a rando gets in at driver right behind him. We start destruction derby this poo poo. Another rando starts running inbetween us and i run him over. My buddy tucks and rolls and hops in my car. We drive all the way north to yasnaya and the guy in the backseat doesn't respond to our inqueries or moves so i park, find a gun, and shoot him.

That being said can obs clip windowed mode games? I have shadowplay but i hate running fullscreen to enable it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
there's winning, and then there's winning in style

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Even if you haven't seen or heard a guy yet, you should be developing a sense of where people will be. That's the game sense people talk about and there's a meaningful amount of intuition and experience involved, but there's a lot of routine stuff you should be doing too. In order, roughly: Remember the orientation of the plane because people will mostly be scattered along the flight path. When you jump, pan around and see how many are around you and going to a similar place. Try to get a look at where they are landing relative to your landing site. Remember it, grab an uzi or a shotgun and go shoot them in the face.

Minutes 5-10 of the game can be a bit more random because people are spreading out more on cars and on foot. Once you're moving, always be considering where would be the best place to ambush yourself from. When you have to cross an open field or a street, always stop and take a moment to third person check the area, think about where you'd be totally hosed if someone attacked you from and that's usually where people are waiting for you. Pause at cover, and always be running to cover. Know where the closest cover is. I know player movement seems really random at first, but it really isn't. Eventually the circles will flush players into you at very predictable times.

Towards the final circles it's actually easier to know where people are because the area is so small. Spotting them might be hard, but if you're in a 300m circle and there are 2 little valleys and 2 trees and 2 rocks, and 5 people alive, you know with about 80% certainty where they'll be, even if you haven't seen or heard them.

There's other stuff, but that's enough to get going with. We've got people here more knowledgeable than me who can probably give better advice, too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Minutes 5-10 of the game can be a bit more random because people are spreading out more on cars and on foot. Once you're moving, always be considering where would be the best place to ambush yourself from. When you have to cross an open field or a street, always stop and take a moment to third person check the area, think about where you'd be totally hosed if someone attacked you from and that's usually where people are waiting for you. Pause at cover, and always be running to cover. Know where the closest cover is. I know player movement seems really random at first, but it really isn't. Eventually the circles will flush players into you at very predictable times.

To add a quick piece of advice to this, a had habit that I see new players do all the time: constantly peeking. stop it. The game has third person, if you're lurking behind a tree or in a house you don't need to ever show your player model until it's time to actually shoot someone (or you're trying to bait someone out). Play like a disgusting cowardly rat and win easy fights or give away your position and allow people to engage you to their advantage

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

TJChap2840 posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/grimmmz is really good at the game but has been a little on the salty side lately.

https://www.twitch.tv/anthony_kongphan is Grimmmz's best bud. He's almost as good and a little less serious.

Edit: For those interested, Anthony queued solo into a squad game and is currently one of two people alive.

Edit 2: Just won

Parallel Playa posted:

I don't like watching grimmmz much, simply because of the complaining. Anthony is cool though. Other high level streamers that I occasionally watch are C9 Sweaterr, TSM Viss, TSM BreaK, C9 Chappie (though he's a dick as well) and I really enjoy watching JackFrags, Matimi0 and to a lesser extent Stodeh but they don't nearly stream PUBG as much as the other ones.

e: fixed some links

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Weeeeeeeee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbqEqPHlpCo

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
What's the best way to capture gameplay? Still fraps?

E: also is it better to run windowed full screen or exclusive?

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 2, 2017

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jerkface posted:

That being said can obs clip windowed mode games? I have shadowplay but i hate running fullscreen to enable it.

Shadowplay can record fullscreen windowed if that helps, or you can record you literal screen but not odd size windows. Never heard of obs clips before. Try windows record functions?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

willroc7 posted:

What's the best way to capture gameplay? Still fraps?

E: also is it better to run windowed full screen or exclusive?
I'd recommend OBS. It takes a little effort to set up, but is tremendously flexible (much more so than shadowplay). It also supports hardware video encoding a la shadowplay.

I run windowed fullscreen everywhere I can, if only for convenience of alt-tabbing.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Holy poo poo I just had a game where I was in the final two in an open field and was crawling into the final circle. Dude sees me from my right and starts shooting, so I stand up but I fatfinger the crouch button and put my gun away so I punch in the air once before I hit X again and finally shoot him in the head. It must've looked ridiculous but I kinda hope he thinks it was BM.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DrNutt posted:

Just got into the top ten for the first time, so I guess I'm doing something right. You're definitely at a disadvantage if you have bad luck and have to go across half the island for the first circle. It's much easier to be the guys that happen to be in the middle of it and can wait to pick you off. I guess them's the breaks.

I'm getting better at finding my shooters but it still seems off to me that in a game where you can die so quickly you don't get any directional assistance other than sound.

Your eyes aren't even open yet

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I'm about to jump in with both feet and trying not to get too meta about it - but is there a goon clan/guild/discord/etc. set up for this ? I see there are team modes and goons are slightly less retarded than the average pub, so.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's the second line of the OP, man

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh man, I'm so sorry - I did skim through the OP but missed that just above the text block! Thank you,

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

I'm pretty sure they are never going to do 5.1 sound in the game. It's always going to be stereo.
If that's for competitive reasons, it's probably a weird thing, given that crossplay is a real consideration.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Combat Pretzel posted:

If that's for competitive reasons, it's probably a weird thing, given that crossplay is a real consideration.

I can't even imagine trying to play this game with a controller versus people playing on PC with m/kb. I think the player base benefits would be strongly outweighed by how much it would suck poo poo to play with a controller without substantial handicaps.

The best solution for console gamers would probably be PS4\Xbox crossplay but that will never happen.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 2, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

quote:

With console development now underway, do you see a future where cross-platform play is on the table for Battlegrounds?

Cross network play between the PC and the console is definitely something we want to do down the road, and we don’t anticipate we’ll have any technical issues with that.

But… when you consider the competitive side of the game, I do feel that there’s a balance issue between controllers and keyboard and mouse. That’s what’s making it difficult for us to do right away. If we’re going to allow players to use controllers we need to have the aim assist added in and things like that. We’re not going to be supporting it right away, but it’s something we’d like to look into later.
https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/27/how-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-went-from-scrappy-mod-to-one-of-the-games-of-2017/

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I understand why they'd possibly want cross-play eventually, but I really hope it will by then also be possible to turn it off client-side. If there's no aim assist, it'd be way too favourable for PC, but if there is then, they need to tune it very finely to have people think it's fair and even then it'll cause incessant bitching.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Parallel Playa posted:

I understand why they'd possibly want cross-play eventually, but I really hope it will by then also be possible to turn it off client-side. If there's no aim assist, it'd be way too favourable for PC, but if there is then, they need to tune it very finely to have people think it's fair and even then it'll cause incessant bitching.

Was it Titanfall 2 that had the glitch where if you plugged in a controller and turned on aim-assist, it would apply to your mouse too? :laugh:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Was it Titanfall 2 that had the glitch where if you plugged in a controller and turned on aim-assist, it would apply to your mouse too? :laugh:

The Division had that. It was pretty loving dumb.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
the rest of the vid is pretty dull but this clip is insane: https://youtu.be/cbl1QOQMuMA?t=512

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Lowdog posted:

Is it just me or do the chainlink fences in this game stop bullets? I just emptied a magazine into some dudes behind the chainlink at crater to seemingly no effect. The other possibility is that I am bad.

My squad and I got wiped last night because of this. It turns out: the answer is pretty much random per fence. We went to the power plant, got some guns, and then headed to the substation to ambush the guys we saw landing there. Set up a good crossfire, opened fire at the same time aaaaandd... the middle part with the chain links was an impenetrable forcefield for everyone, so three of us didn't get to hit anything at all and gave away the ambush.

So I did some testing with other fences and most of the other ones I shot bullets go through just fine. Soooo... I guess just don't shoot at people behind fences because maybe you'll hit them maybe you won't.

Same poo poo as those little scrubby bushes north of Mylta as well. Some of them you can drive through, some will stop your car dead in its tracks like they're made out of adamantium.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Parallel Playa posted:

the rest of the vid is pretty dull but this clip is insane: https://youtu.be/cbl1QOQMuMA?t=512

I just don't understand why people want to see the actual faces of these loving dorks as they're playing. I'll never understand that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wow we won 2 squad games this evening and one yesterday. I guess we're finally starting to grasp the positioning game better. We aren't that good when it comes to shooting, but we had some mad strats which just left the enemies in way worse positions. Highground ftw.

Also I've always heard how bad sks is.. but I'm starting to like it. It actually fires faster than AK at full auto if you just click fast enough. The bullets hurt a lot more and the powerful hits really gently caress up the victim's aim. I cleared a house with 3 guys solo by just hipfiring with sks... Sweet. I didn't really use my AR at all during the game.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I am really trying to get into this game, but I have horrible stuttering as the game gets past the halfway point. I have it on a SSD, but only 8 gb of RAM. Are there certain settings I can turn down?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I am really trying to get into this game, but I have horrible stuttering as the game gets past the halfway point. I have it on a SSD, but only 8 gb of RAM. Are there certain settings I can turn down?

AA can be very low to low
Post-processing very low
Shadows low to medium
Textures should be more towards the high side
Effects very low
Foliage very low
View distance medium to low
Motion blur off
Screen scale should be at least 100, if you can up it to 120 it'll make things clearer without AA

I can easily run it on ultra, but these are the settings I like the most.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

AnElegantPeacock posted:

This game is only in stereo so fancy surround won't save you.

This isn't right, the game definitely outputs 5.1 at the very least. I don't have a surround headset or any of that nonsense but if I output the game audio to my A/V receiver there's really clear directional audio. Check for yourself in the waiting room, run away and you'll hear a cacophony of gunfire out of your rear speakers.

That being said I play 95% of the time on headphones because of a combination of discord and, while surround speakers are great for locating the source of gunfire, the isolation of headphones makes it a lot easier to pickup lower level noises like footsteps around you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does your receiver clearly indicate 5.1 input, or is it just doing the Prologic thing on stereo input and moving seemingly out of phase sound to the rear speakers?

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does your receiver clearly indicate 5.1 input, or is it just doing the Prologic thing on stereo input and moving seemingly out of phase sound to the rear speakers?

Yeah it's receiving 5.1 multichannel PCM, direct feed no processing. It's also really clearly accurate directional audio, which pro logic never is.

Edit: multichannel, not linear

Soylent Green fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 2, 2017

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

I just don't understand why people want to see the actual faces of these loving dorks as they're playing. I'll never understand that.

forever this, usually i wont watch a stream if i have to look at them strain and twist their face as they play.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Soylent Green posted:

Yeah it's receiving 5.1 multichannel PCM, direct feed no processing. It's also really clearly accurate directional audio, which pro logic never is.

Edit: multichannel, not linear
Well, I'll be damned. Installed Virtual Audio Cable to tap into what's coming out, and it's indeed multichannel.

--edit: Actually nevermind, this appears some upmixing bullshit.

--edit: Managed to set it up properly, PUBG does stereo only.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 2, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
3 out of 4 matches i've made it solo to top 10 with bullshit like s12ks. i've been constantly getting killed by lack of healing, though. so frustrating.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Twlight posted:

forever this, usually i wont watch a stream if i have to look at them strain and twist their face as they play.

I like having a face of a person on the other side I can @, make funny comments and joke around with when I dont have time to play with friends. In the last month I've said something and gotten responses from The Game, the little grown up kid who used to be on MTV I'm spacing on, and brought up a concert I saw Murs at 10 years ago that he then remembered and talked about. Grimmmz responded twice to me about specific gun questions. Those interactions are what make streaming interesting for both sides.

It's fun watching their emotions in my opinion, basically. I could see how people wouldn't like that though!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I like having a face of a person on the other side I can @, make funny comments and joke around with when I dont have time to play with friends. In the last month I've said something and gotten responses from The Game, the little grown up kid who used to be on MTV I'm spacing on, and brought up a concert I saw Murs at 10 years ago that he then remembered and talked about. Grimmmz responded twice to me about specific gun questions. Those interactions are what make streaming interesting for both sides.

It's fun watching their emotions in my opinion, basically. I could see how people wouldn't like that though!

I think it adds something as well just not my cup of tea. You're right though, to each their own!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Despite my early game frustrations with this and Friday the 13th, both games are amazingly fun, and addictive in that "just one more round" kind of gameplay feedback loop. I never thought I'd be into multiplayer games again beyond a little Destiny raiding here and there, but these two games have probably provided the best gaming experiences of 2017 for me. Nier Automata was good but not nearly as good or mind blowing as the hype suggested. I'd be hard pressed to choose between this or F13 but unless something really astounding comes out in the last 6 months of the year, either one makes a great GOTY contender for me. And poo poo, neither one is even finished yet.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A major downside of the performance improvements is now you die in under .5 seconds instead of under 1 second when someone sees you because their aim is better now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a good guide to setting up OBS for recording?

edit: I actually got shadowplay to work on windowed fullscreen, I never tried it since they changed it to "Share" and that apparently fixed my issue. I still want to setup OBS for versatility though.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'm very happy with the new patch. And I also want to say to the chain link fence guy, you're not the only one haha.

Got pwned by it myself today.

• Locked thread