Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Glad they finally worked NBD into it.
I saw the emojis and text message style and assumed it was NBD but I never imagined they would actually drop it.

It's like watching my first born walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even with the leak, they stuck to their convictions. It really is NBD.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Guy Mann posted:

Actually it owns. A lot of people complained about the drawn out pacing of the main plot but it it's an adaptation of a best-selling book that most of it's audience has already read so taking it's time and having fun with the universe is way better.

Nah, pacing isn't the problem. I liked the book well enough and would be happy with it visiting every little side plot. The problem is the awful unedited mammoth chunks of dialogue that land like fresh turds. McShane is the only one that kind of makes it work with sheer charisma. Yet bizarrely the show will also have ten minute visual set pieces at the expense of any actual character work. It sucks at both showing and telling. Oh and the music! It's either bland or awful song choices (compare it to True Detective or even Preacher to a lesser extent) or the abstract bings and bangs Reitzell began to lean on way too much in Hannibal. American Gods feels like it has started in full blown Hannibal Season 3 self indulgence rather than committing to the slow burn.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nah, pacing isn't the problem. I liked the book well enough and would be happy with it visiting every little side plot. The problem is the awful unedited mammoth chunks of dialogue that land like fresh turds. McShane is the only one that kind of makes it work with sheer charisma. Yet bizarrely the show will also have ten minute visual set pieces at the expense of any actual character work. It sucks at both showing and telling. Oh and the music! It's either bland or awful song choices (compare it to True Detective or even Preacher to a lesser extent) or the abstract bings and bangs Reitzell began to lean on way too much in Hannibal. American Gods feels like it has started in full blown Hannibal Season 3 self indulgence rather than committing to the slow burn.

It's better than the book.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nihonniboku posted:

:thumbsup:

I don't really care enough about the book to debate whether it's a good adaptation, but as a series it's a tonal mess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Well that's damning with faint praise.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Star Trek TNG and Voyager were kind of crippled by the insistence on not having any kind of continuing story, I think Discovery could be stronger for it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

flosofl posted:

Well that's damning with faint praise.

I mean, I had similar feelings about the Fincher version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (though I actually like both the American Gods book and show). Everyone involved tried their best, but they were ultimately just tied down by the source material being one big pile of poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You know, I don't think he's actually suspended between those two buildings.
Clearly not? The web is suspended between ertainm and a building.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Lizard Combatant posted:

American Gods feels like it has started in full blown Hannibal Season 3 self indulgence rather than committing to the slow burn.

Yeah, that's why it's so good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If using 50s doowoop as the soundtrack for a story about colonial life and embodying the internet as a vaping Polygon editor is pretentious then consider me gravid with pretense.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Guy Mann posted:

If using 50s doowoop as the soundtrack for a story about colonial life and embodying the internet as a vaping Polygon editor is pretentious then consider me gravid with pretense.

Don't forget to mention the leprechaun getting hit in the nuts. :allears:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I can't find the posters......but there was a brilliant show on Comedy Central a couple years back about two (terrible) amateur filmmakers who were brothers called Big Time in Hollywood, FL. Not that they were real, but they had some posters for some of their movies hung on the walls that could be seen in the background of certain scenes. Always made me laugh. Specifically the posters for 'Blind For Life' and 'Good Cop, Worse Cop 2'.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I can't find the posters......but there was a brilliant show on Comedy Central a couple years back about two (terrible) amateur filmmakers who were brothers called Big Time in Hollywood, FL. Not that they were real, but they had some posters for some of their movies hung on the walls that could be seen in the background of certain scenes. Always made me laugh. Specifically the posters for 'Blind For Life' and 'Good Cop, Worse Cop 2'.

That was an incredible series, short as it was.

Cuba Gooding Jr. as himself as a drug dealer?

Jason Alexander as himself as a sociopath?

Ben Stiller as "Jimmy Staats"?

Loved that drat show. It was absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GK1ihFbMJU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gonz posted:

That was an incredible series, short as it was.

Cuba Gooding Jr. as himself as a drug dealer?

Jason Alexander as himself as a sociopath?

Ben Stiller as "Jimmy Staats"?

Loved that drat show. It was absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GK1ihFbMJU

Rico!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Matrix tinting holding strong in 2005.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Started watching Hannibal with my wife because of you guys, and holy poo poo, it is really good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Darthemed posted:

Matrix tinting holding strong in 2005.

This movie is good by the way. I really like it.

Also the score is great. It felt like a precursor into the more non-traditional "indie" style scores. It's done by Asche & Spencer who I felt were the proto-Ross & Reznor.

It's on Spotify - check it out.

Speaking of Ross and Reznor... I just discovered they're scoring Ken Burns' Vietnam War doc. Goddamn I can't wait.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of Ross and Reznor... I just discovered they're scoring Ken Burns' Vietnam War doc. Goddamn I can't wait.
"You get me closer to Nam!"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Both from Mondo

Went on sale today, the vinyl version is still available with cool art inside

Is Spider Man Homecoming incapable of a good poster?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The early ones were awesome, though! (Scale aside).

I suspect they came from Marvel and everything else is Sony.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's the result of two studios trying to negotiate their ideas of what the poster should be and the poor bastards actually putting it together are just like "whatever, throw it all in"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This one's nice, conveys the film's tension build-up perfectly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That jaws poster would be great if the original weren't so iconic as to render any other jaws poster feel extraneous.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Leavemywife posted:

Started watching Hannibal with my wife because of you guys, and holy poo poo, it is really good.

Man... Don't expect a lot from S3 ...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MikeJF posted:

That jaws poster would be great if the original weren't so iconic as to render any other jaws poster feel extraneous.
There's also the marvelous Polish poster for Jaws 2:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sorry old chap, between the global non-Brit audience and the immense age gap here I think you're stretching it too far :o:

I got the reference.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ammanas posted:

The first two are amazingly fun though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ammanas posted:

I never finished season 3, but I know it was a big "gently caress IT DO WHATEVER" as they already knew the show was going to be cancelled.

here some old posters from my country:

For a famous movie, DVD covers por Pepe el Tore are terrible,just a photo of the lead with some lazy texture photoshopped in the back.
it's a shame they didn't use something similar to the poster art:

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I felt like Hannibal S3 flounders for like the first ~3 episodes then gets amazing and maybe the best the show ever gets, so ymmv I guess.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Palpek posted:

There's also the marvelous Polish poster for Jaws 2:

The Jaws sequels would've been a hell of a lot more interesting if every time the shark came back it had more mouths

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Davros1 posted:

The Jaws sequels would've been a hell of a lot more interesting if every time the shark came back it had more mouths
Jaws 2: HyperJaws

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Davros1 posted:

they skipped 4 heads

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they skipped 4 heads

Well yeah. For the first sequel you add another head, and what are you going to do for the second? Add another head? People have seen another head, what they haven't seen is two additional heads. It only makes sense that for the fourth one you add three heads.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well yeah. For the first sequel you add another head, and what are you going to do for the second? Add another head? People have seen another head, what they haven't seen is two additional heads. It only makes sense that for the fourth one you add three heads.

What's the point in holding back after five heads. It's not like you're gonna wow anybody with a few more heads after that. Just double it. Make it 10. And after that: 101.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they skipped 4 heads

Fibonacci's Shark Heads

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I really fail to see how adding more heads to a man-eating shark makes it any scarier or more dangerous. It's not any harder to escape/avoid/kill, and it can't eat me any additional times. But then I guess I'm not the target audience for these films.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I fail to see why anyone thinks these completely heartless "so bad it's good" movies are good, but there's like 6 new ones every year.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some of us just really love CGI sharks okay? Admittedly I havent' seen that series but I've seen most others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Paper Kaiju posted:

I really fail to see how adding more heads to a man-eating shark makes it any scarier or more dangerous. It's not any harder to escape/avoid/kill, and it can't eat me any additional times. But then I guess I'm not the target audience for these films.

The other heads can eat your friends. :thumbsup: