Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
here is my theory on this patch business

week one, make it lovely so people who can't control their wallets throw money at game

week two, make it slightly less lovely so people who hated the first week are more likely to be thankful and throw money at screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks. The patcher is ridiculously inaccurate at estimating size remaining.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Third World Reggin posted:

here is my theory on this patch business

week one, make it lovely so people who can't control their wallets throw money at game

week two, make it slightly less lovely so people who hated the first week are more likely to be thankful and throw money at screen

I don't buy it.

All games with an exchange like this devalue the ingame currency over time.

It's just SWL has done it at absolute record rates.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I did the link-redeem thing on the site but a friend is saying I also need to download the game and play it to get the weapons/character slots/cosmetic unlocks. I'd rather wait for the Steam release to see if this gets un-hosed but I can't afford to miss this poo poo. Anyone have confirmation?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I did the link-redeem thing on the site but a friend is saying I also need to download the game and play it to get the weapons/character slots/cosmetic unlocks. I'd rather wait for the Steam release to see if this gets un-hosed but I can't afford to miss this poo poo. Anyone have confirmation?

AFAIK you simply need to have an account with a TSW key for it to work in SWL. You login to SWL with the same credentials so it should work fine.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
If bandwidth isn't an issue you might want to just hop in once to make a character in case they gently caress up and give out free stuff again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What counts as a "Main Quest" for the challenge log thing? Seems arbitrary what gets counted and what doesn't.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What counts as a "Main Quest" for the challenge log thing? Seems arbitrary what gets counted and what doesn't.

Main quests are the red main missions or (I think) yellow sabotage missions. Not sure what the investigation missions count as. Also, dungeons count as main missions which is loving awesome.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Investigation missions count too I'm pretty sure

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Not a side quest.

So action/investigation missions etc

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If it doesn't have the little side mission green icon, it's a Main.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Do multiple alacrity weapons stack? I feel like this game's easy enough that +5% against an enemy below 10% health or whatever is less valuable than annoying people by zooming around in fights.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do weapons have to be the same type (i.e. Shotgun of Restoration Mk 1 and Shotgun of Restoration Mk 1) to be combined, or will any old shotgun do?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ANy old.

You really want to have a 3 star as the main by the time you raise to purple though.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Welp, some assface mod just banned me from the official discord because I told some pubbie I was the guy who cloned aurum. Guess my support for funcom just dropped heartily.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

If bandwidth isn't an issue you might want to just hop in once to make a character in case they gently caress up and give out free stuff again.

I took my laptop to my folks' tonight and I guess it's not my bandwidth I should be concerned with. The launcher is downloading at 20 kb/s.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You need to play and get to the first zone (kingsmouth) to be able to claim the items. There is a time limit for when you can link the accounts, but I don't know if you're only "safe" after you claim the items to your characters.

Anyway, don't quote me on this but I heard the limit is in August.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Welp, some assface mod just banned me from the official discord because I told some pubbie I was the guy who cloned aurum. Guess my support for funcom just dropped heartily.

You thought that would go over well? I got banned from the official forums for "making the devs sad"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Meallan posted:

You need to play and get to the first zone (kingsmouth) to be able to claim the items. There is a time limit for when you can link the accounts, but I don't know if you're only "safe" after you claim the items to your characters.

Anyway, don't quote me on this but I heard the limit is in August.

I mean, I've already linked accounts, but my friend is paranoid about me not getting them and despite no evidence to support that claim, :funcom:

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
What's the overall best mod for weapons? Energy?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Richard M Nixon posted:

Len posted:

You thought that would go over well? I got banned from the official forums for "making the devs sad"

Yeah, they have a pretty hard stance on saying things they disagree with or might make their game look bad. I got suspended a few times during the original TSW beta. Funcom's not great about dissenting opinions.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Don't talk to the cops

Don't talk to the mods

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Drinkfist posted:

Also I got five bucks saying I can bring the filth rain to Agartha and get someone fired.

Edit:

You never got me fired but I did keep you from getting banned.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah, they have a pretty hard stance on saying things they disagree with or might make their game look bad. I got suspended a few times during the original TSW beta. Funcom's not great about dissenting opinions.

GEMorris posted:

You never got me fired but I did keep you from getting banned.

By the grace of god I always seem to skirt by.

I would have perferred that they kept you on the payroll as I am now at 24+ hours with a petition open and no response from a GM.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Drinkfist posted:

By the grace of god I always seem to skirt by.

I would have perferred that they kept you on the payroll as I am now at 24+ hours with a petition open and no response from a GM.

I currently make several multiples of what I made at that terrible job, so I'm doin ok. Sorry about your wait times tho.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

How bad was the pay at Funcom? Go on, spill

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

GEMorris posted:

I currently make several multiples of what I made at that terrible job

Oh please spill some dirt on that experience.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Better than my last job

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Len posted:

Better than my last job

I thought being a retard masturbator was its own reward?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Looking for an invite to the cabal. Character name is Ariantha.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

That's about par what I made as a call center phone monkey.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Richard M Nixon posted:

I thought being a retard masturbator was its own reward?

go make more t-shirts

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I was having an okay time with this game until I realized contacts were level limited. I dunno, maybe it opens up later, but being shuttled around to each contact in kingsmouth one at a time infuriates me, and I'm not sure why. I guess it's another loss of choice on top of the rest.

edit:

yegods posted:

Even the skill system is better, since it is not made for sperglords. I could never make heads or tails of the old skill system, and had to look up a "proper" build on the internet -- not a great thing to have to do.

It's you. You're the lowest common denominator developers are talking about when they simplify for "accessibility." You are the reason everything ends up like yet another warcraft clone. You honestly couldn't understand the skill system? really? You're not just being hyperbolic? Are you just trolling? It was literally "mash a key until you build up a resource and then hit the ability that uses the resource." With the added complexity of "some weapons can use the status effects other weapons generate for additional bonuses."

I'm not a big fan of number crunchy theory-craft and optimal builds and poo poo, I tend towards "abilities that do cool things" rather than worry too much about whether or not my build is achieving maximum dps- but even I managed to figure out the loving skill wheel.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 3, 2017

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Looking for an invite to spook it up in the cabal, in as Anshar!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gawain The Blind posted:

It's you. You're the lowest common denominator developers are talking about when they simplify for "accessibility." You are the reason everything ends up like yet another warcraft clone. You honestly couldn't understand the skill system? really? You're not just being hyperbolic? Are you just trolling? It was literally "mash a key until you build up a resource and then hit the ability that uses the resource." With the added complexity of "some weapons can use the status effects other weapons generate for additional bonuses."

I'm not a big fan of number crunchy theory-craft and optimal builds and poo poo, I tend towards "abilities that do cool things" rather than worry too much about whether or not my build is achieving maximum dps- but even I managed to figure out the loving skill wheel.

I'm also one of those who gets put off completely when the hard sperg numbercrunching comes out. I will admit that the skill wheel along with knowing there's no traditional leveling is overwhelming at first. But there were deck build guidelines right there and while some of those might not be great, they were still at least something to work off of to get an idea of how the wheel worked. If my usually clueless rear end could figure it out pretty quick, anyone can figure it out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gawain The Blind posted:

I was having an okay time with this game until I realized contacts were level limited. I dunno, maybe it opens up later, but being shuttled around to each contact in kingsmouth one at a time infuriates me, and I'm not sure why.

I've been doing quests in the Savage Coast that are several levels too high for me. Do you mean you can't talk to people?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Kingsmouth is more restrict on quests. You can't do Kings many of the quests in Kingsmouth until you progress through the story. The same goes of any mission later on that is required for the story. The first time you do it has to be when the story wants you to.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

That being said, i'm actually enjoying the story so dont mind. Event he dungeons are ok, though the limit of 10 keys per day sucks balls.

Are the dungeon loots worth it? I have a tailsman from both the 1st and 2nd, (and a weapon from the 1st i cant use) should i bother to lvl them up?

Been rocking pistols and shotgun, and pulling aggro from tanks in dungeons. I seriously think im still using only the starter skills too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Dungeons won't be worth it until after the patch on the 5th. The patch fixes a lot of the issues with Dungeon xp and loot.

Depending on the affixed and pips on the loot, they might be good. The weapons are generally good (assuming they don't have a complete poo poo affix) and some of the talismans are very good.