Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Mightaswell posted:

> be canon in the year 2017
> launch a brand new $2000 camera with no 4K

>Sell a poo poo-ton of them?

Assuming the price comes down a little I think it will do pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
They probably will but it's still bullshit.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mightaswell posted:

They probably will but it's still bullshit.

Canabilise 5d sales or sell a complete product, you know what they gunna pick.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Number of camera companies selling a FF camera that shoots 4k for 2000$ in 2017: 0

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Eh, 6d2 looks like exactly what I'd want. Full frame, usable AF (compared to the joke system on the 6d1) with a low light center point, decent burst, tilty flippy screen, etc. I have little desire to take video since shooting video at concerts requires a proper audio setup also, and gently caress all that. My main gripe is that they're still stuck on the ergo split that they started after the 50d of not including a joystick on anything other than the pro models. The improved AF points are jack poo poo when you have to navigate them with garbage controls.

On the other hand, there's an AF point button, and honestly when I used the 7d2 I ended up using a workflow like that anyway (AF button to switch to point select, then wheels to select a point) rather than the various joystick nubs, so w/e. Failing that, the touchscreen DPAF looks good even if it will probably eat battery, but that's not a huge concern for me since I'm usually doing 2-3 hour sessions.

Arguably I should probably switch to Sony (if I'm going to spend in the neighborhood of $2k on a body, why not), but this actually looks like something I would consider buying as a body upgrade.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Eh, 6d2 looks like exactly what I'd want. Full frame, usable AF (compared to the joke system on the 6d1) with a low light center point, decent burst, tilty flippy screen, etc. I have little desire to take video since shooting video at concerts requires a proper audio setup also, and gently caress all that. My main gripe is that they're still stuck on the ergo split that they started after the 50d of not including a joystick on anything other than the pro models. The improved AF points are jack poo poo when you have to navigate them with garbage controls.

On the other hand, there's an AF point button, and honestly when I used the 7d2 I ended up using a workflow like that anyway (AF button to switch to point select, then wheels to select a point) rather than the various joystick nubs, so w/e. Failing that, the touchscreen DPAF looks good even if it will probably eat battery, but that's not a huge concern for me since I'm usually doing 2-3 hour sessions.

Arguably I should probably switch to Sony (if I'm going to spend in the neighborhood of $2k on a body, why not), but this actually looks like something I would consider buying as a body upgrade.

on the 6d1 you can set AF selection to the multidirectional pad inside the wheel

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dakana posted:

on the 6d1 you can set AF selection to the multidirectional pad inside the wheel

Still sucks if you use the 6D as a second body and a 5D/1D as a main.

Which is what I would want to do, but Canon wants me to buy more 5Ds instead :v:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

blowfish posted:

Still sucks if you use the 6D as a second body and a 5D/1D as a main.

Which is what I would want to do, but Canon wants me to buy more 5Ds instead :v:

I run a 5D3 / 6D combo and never really have a problem switching between the two :shrug:

Then again in college I'd shoot with Canon & Nikon bodies at the same time and was fine with it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Center AF then recompose has never bothered me and I don't think I'd care about fancy AF systems. I don't shoot sports or birds or anything so I guess that helps. My 6D is still keeping me happy, no reason to upgrade here. The only thing I dislike about it is the non 100% viewfinder. I feel like if I had 100% I wouldn't need to crop as much. Maybe also a level in the viewfinder.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Its a shame we can't have viewfinders that are 100% coverage and 1.0 magnification on full frame cameras. The 7D has that for the most literal "what you see is what you snap" and it is awesome.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

Its a shame we can't have viewfinders that are 100% coverage and 1.0 magnification on full frame cameras. The 7D has that for the most literal "what you see is what you snap" and it is awesome.

The 7D/7D2 viewfinder , at 1.0x maginification, is slightly smaller than the 5D .72 or whatever it is. You have to take format into account here - .72x mag on a FF sensor is larger than 1.0x on an APS-C. And even the mighty OM-1, which had the biggest finder of any 35mm SLR wasn't even 1.0x mag (.92 or thereabouts)

Edit: and a FF DSLR with a 1.0x viewfinder would have an (even more) giant , heavy rear end prism, and terrible eye relief distance.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 5, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

... Maybe also a level in the viewfinder.

You probably already know this, but you can get a level below the image in the viewfinder. It's just not superimposed on the image.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

dakana posted:

This works because the 6D/60D only have as many focus points as there are directions on the wheel (including the Set button). It fails if you have more than 7 AF points, though you could select zones I suppose. I'm not sure how well that would work for me, since I typically need to focus on a very small area with both a busy foreground and background, and I'm not confident on zone AF not selecting the thing I don't want. Experience with the 60D tells me that its phase AF is likely to choose the thing I don't care about (hey, a nearby microphone grill or somesuch! I love focusing on things with contrasty patterns, set focus to that instead of the mostly smooth face next to it!), and I figure zone AF would work similarly even if one point within it covers the thing I actually care about.

Continuing to use point AF would presumably solve this problem, but requires switching between focus/shoot mode and select point mode, which is what I did when I had a 7D2 briefly. Works well enough but isn't ideal. On the other hand, it's not like I truly have instant point selection with the button-corresponds-to-point option on the 60D either, since it has an annoying quirk where it will only actually change the point if you've recently done something else, e.g. tried to focus or meter. If you just press a button on the pad without having recently performed some other action, it does jack poo poo. Maybe later models have fixed this.

Point AF and tracking would presumably also help if tracking is decent, but makes composition using the entirety of the frame hard.

Edit: is there a way to access AF point data in Lightroom? I know it exists because view mode on the camera will show the point the camera focused on in AI servo, but I don't know if that's accessible without whatever Canon has baked into their firmware for handling their proprietary data. It'd be useful for learning AF system quirks if I started using tracking AF rather than mostly focus/recompose/pray.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2017

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

This works because the 6D/60D only have as many focus points as there are directions on the wheel (including the Set button). It fails if you have more than 7 AF points, though you could select zones I suppose. I'm not sure how well that would work for me, since I typically need to focus on a very small area with both a busy foreground and background, and I'm not confident on zone AF not selecting the thing I don't want. Experience with the 60D tells me that its phase AF is likely to choose the thing I don't care about (hey, a nearby microphone grill or somesuch! I love focusing on things with contrasty patterns, set focus to that instead of the mostly smooth face next to it!), and I figure zone AF would work similarly even if one point within it covers the thing I actually care about.

Continuing to use point AF would presumably solve this problem, but requires switching between focus/shoot mode and select point mode, which is what I did when I had a 7D2 briefly. Works well enough but isn't ideal. On the other hand, it's not like I truly have instant point selection with the button-corresponds-to-point option on the 60D either, since it has an annoying quirk where it will only actually change the point if you've recently done something else, e.g. tried to focus or meter. If you just press a button on the pad without having recently performed some other action, it does jack poo poo. Maybe later models have fixed this.

Point AF and tracking would presumably also help if tracking is decent, but makes composition using the entirety of the frame hard.

Edit: is there a way to access AF point data in Lightroom? I know it exists because view mode on the camera will show the point the camera focused on in AI servo, but I don't know if that's accessible without whatever Canon has baked into their firmware for handling their proprietary data. It'd be useful for learning AF system quirks if I started using tracking AF rather than mostly focus/recompose/pray.

You just press the direction you want the AF point to move to, and it moves there. If you need it to move farther, you press the button again. It's the same mechanism as using the joystick, except you're pressing buttons and not pushing a joystick.

Use back-button focus. When you want to change your AF point, just press the controller.

Also, for whatever reason, you're not able to see it in Lightroom. Really obnoxious. You can view it in some Canon free software, or in the excellent Photo Mechanic.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Mightaswell posted:

> has lovely dynamic range

people seem to be really mad about the lovely dynamic range or iso invariance of the camera too, it's so bad that the rebel t7i/80d actually has better sensor performance

i guess at least people who bought 5d4 are feeling pretty good right now

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Encrypted posted:

i guess at least people who bought 5d4 are feeling pretty good right now

I'm pretty sure that's why Canon crippled the 6D2.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is it bad in a real way or a pixel-peeping sperglord way?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bubbacub posted:

Is it bad in a real way or a pixel-peeping sperglord way?

From the image DPReview posted they had some serious noise that was visible without much effort.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range

Scroll down to the image of the couple and the dog, click it and just view it normally then zoom in. At ISO 100 if they really didn't screw with anything .. something is off.

Edit: Also they have a nice comparison you can run against multiple cameras.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 25, 2017

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

From the image DPReview posted they had some serious noise that was visible without much effort.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range

Scroll down to the image of the couple and the dog, click it and just view it normally then zoom in. At ISO 100 if they really didn't screw with anything .. something is off.

Edit: Also they have a nice comparison you can run against multiple cameras.

Bill Claff put the read noise at being slightly worse than the original 6D. So the 6D2 is "same old lol Canon DR" when their entire lineup other than the walmart shelf special model Rebel has been updated to more modern sensors. (The 7D2 is still same old Canon, but it's not NEW)

Everything else they've released in the past year from the 80D, to the Rebel T7i/77D, Eos M5 & 6, 1DX2, 5DIV, has all gotten modern sensor architecture and while still behind Sony, much more modern read noise levels.

So Canon's current crop lineup has less read noise than the 6D2
MFT Cameras have less read noise than the 6D2
The 6D original has less read noise than the 6D2

That is a pretty ridiculous product differentiation tactic.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

timrenzi574 posted:

Bill Claff put the read noise at being slightly worse than the original 6D. So the 6D2 is "same old lol Canon DR" when their entire lineup other than the walmart shelf special model Rebel has been updated to more modern sensors. (The 7D2 is still same old Canon, but it's not NEW)

Everything else they've released in the past year from the 80D, to the Rebel T7i/77D, Eos M5 & 6, 1DX2, 5DIV, has all gotten modern sensor architecture and while still behind Sony, much more modern read noise levels.

So Canon's current crop lineup has less read noise than the 6D2
MFT Cameras have less read noise than the 6D2
The 6D original has less read noise than the 6D2

That is a pretty ridiculous product differentiation tactic.

I think the idea behind the 6D2 is "let's make a full frame camera that's really poo poo".

Do you want a filthy casual camera? Buy a Rebel with the kit lens, or a 77D with the kit lens if you don't want to look like the filthy casual you are.
Do you want a Real CameraTM that works for things that move moderately fast and don't require tooooo much Bokeh/low light performance? Buy the 80D and the kit lens and the 10-18 and 55-250 (or 70-300 II), or if you're poor get the 77D with the same lenses.
Do you want a Real CameraTM for things that move really loving fast? Get the 7D2 (or soon 7D3) and your choice of L telephoto.
Do you want a Real CameraTM for things that move really loving fast which is also good for low light and Bokeh and poo poo? Get the 5D4 and a $15k pile of L glass.
Do you want a Real CameraTM for things that move really loving fast which is also good for low light and Bokeh and poo poo, and your boss will pay for it? Get the 1DX2 and a $20k pile of L glass.

Are you a sperg with 2k in play money and no specific use case for full frame beyond dickwaving? Get the 6D2 and the plastic fantastic 24-105 kit lens you dumb shitler, which is the 6D which is the 5D2 with the cheapest available current substitutes (may be better or worse) for any old 5D2 parts we can't source anymore :retrogames:. Also we added bluetooth and wifi I guess :geno:

Do you want a Real CameraTM for things that don't move but which is good for low light and Bokeh and poo poo? Go buy a Sony :haw:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 27, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty good, make it the thread OP. :v:

Only edit I'd make is between the 80d and the 7D2. The tradeoffs between the two are so tight, you gotta think hard about what you really want out of your camera.

When the 7D3 is out it'll be no contest.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Only edit I'd make is between the 80d and the 7D2. The tradeoffs between the two are so tight, you gotta think hard about what you really want out of your camera.
What about the EOS M5? Is it just not a good value proposition? It was my understanding that they finally managed to make a mirrorless camera that wasn't poo poo and had similar performance to the 80D.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What about the EOS M5? Is it just not a good value proposition? It was my understanding that they finally managed to make a mirrorless camera that wasn't poo poo and had similar performance to the 80D.

Canon really needs to come up with some more loving EF-M lenses. Yeah adapt and all, but nobody wants a sig 35 art hanging off that body just because canon is too lazy to make a 35/1.4 in ef-m mount that's a fraction of the size.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And if you have trump hands, the SL2

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

It's a shame, because I really would like that extra low light center focus point. Having the flippy screen was just a nice bonus on top of the rest of the focus system no longer being garbage, but then Canon happened.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

Pretty good, make it the thread OP. :v:

When the 7D3 is out it'll be no contest.

Yeah. I think 7D2 still has somewhat better AF, i.e. it's the camera I'll permanently attach to the 100-400 for birds dragonflies when it's €450 used on ebay.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hello Canon thread! I'm coming from a 7D with a bag full of L lenses five years ago to starting fresh with a bridge camera. I should have a G3X in my grubby mitts in about two more days.

Anyone here have any experience with it and/or caveats and suggestions? Another DSLR is likely a few years away but this is for a simple travel/hiking camera and a good way to teach my daughter the exposure triangle, etc...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons I used to hang out in this thread quite a lot and was quite passionate into this hobby but that was 5 years ago. Started with a 40D and a 17-55 2.8 and that was my favourite combo.

Nowadays I'm mostly apathetic towards carrying A Real Camera and dealing with Lightroom Hell.

Anyways, my father in law just got me a 5d4 body and I'm not so sure where to go with it. I have the older collection of some L glass. And a under utilized 6D 24-70ii

Should I just say gently caress complexity and stick a prime on it like a 35/1.4 II ? I'm not that into telephotos and animals, I prefer being a creep taking urban photos.

I just feel that in this day for the average dude age mirror less cameras have progressed so much more whereas DSLR's are turning into mini cam corders

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 29, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

caberham posted:

Should I just say gently caress complexity and stick a prime on it like a 35/1.4 II ? I'm not that into telephotos and animals, I prefer being a creep taking urban photos.
35/2 IS

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I have an APS-C body and an unexpected but modest Amazon voucher windfall. I'm considering getting the 24mm EFS 2.8 pancake.

I already have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 so this won't get me a faster lens, but from what I'm reading it will be sharper and much less obtrusive for urban photography. Also a hell of a lot lighter.

Any reason this is actually a terrible idea, or should I roll with it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I had one on my 7D and it was a great walk around lens.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Absolutely. It's a great walking around prime.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I used my 17-55mm f/2.8 EF-S lens more than it but it was my go to prime for a long time.

I'd did make me want to buy the 24mm f/1.4L though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does canon finally make a fast-ish crop 20mm?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The have a 20mm f/2.8 but that's not new I don't think.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Does canon finally make a fast-ish crop 20mm?

22mm f/2 pancake for the M cameras
24 f/2.8 pancake for crop dslr which is getting away from fastish

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the only lens otherwise is the 24mm f/1.4L II.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

TKIY posted:

Yeah the only lens otherwise is the 24mm f/1.4L II.

Sigma makes a 24mm f/1.4 in their Art series. It owns real hard and rarely leaves my camera. They also make a 20mm 1.4A but I haven't tried it. I shoot mostly primes for weddings -- my most used lenses are the 24 1.4A, 50 1.2L, and 85 1.8 (looking at either the Sigma 85 1.4A or Canon 85 1.2L, but god drat the 85 1.8 is such a good value that it's hard to justify).

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Every time I look at lenses and prices I'm reminded why I didn't buy an interchangeable lens camera this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Thanks for the feedback guys, order has been placed. Looking forward to trying it out later in the month.