Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power botton
Nov 2, 2011

whats the blog of the chemist who talks about stuff he's terrified to work with. lots of things which go boom if you look at half a gram wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"things I won't work with"

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

There goes my evening.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a good blog, and the "things i won't work with" is just a section of it

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
cryptocurrency will solve all o

divabot posted:

you've heard of the new super-efficient ICO

you don't even need to put your ETH into it !!

because the white paper contains malware that steals your ETH

now that's a smart contract

f the social problems in technology

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

vOv posted:

it doesn't do anything per se but usually smelling almonds in a chemical plant means 'cyanide spill'

Yea that's what I was trying to remember. Pretty good prank imo, unless of course it triggered a spill team response.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20170629-snmp

quote:

SNMP Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilities in Cisco IOS and IOS XE Software

Ah the heady days of basic network stack vulnerabilities.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Russia Threatens Retaliation If Pentagon Bans Kaspersky Software

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-30/russia-threatens-retaliation-if-pentagon-bans-kaspersky-software-j4k2inwq

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:thunk:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

just try something you vodka-snorting, fat-keistered atheists! :bahgawd:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they're not atheists, just last week the Russian Orthodox Church joined the government in condemning Telegram

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MononcQc posted:

and here I am with a work computer that has cylance running on it, which just loves to randomly decide vim or scp are viruses and quarantines them

vim is a mental virus, the symptoms of which include being convinced that a self-explanatory, navigable interface is a bad thing and that '70s era terminal keyboard shortcuts are the best.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://iss.oy.ne.ro/Shattered

An intersting attck vector, albeit not the stealthiest poc

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Maybe they will ban McAfee? 🤔

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

wolrah posted:

vim is a mental virus, the symptoms of which include being convinced that a self-explanatory, navigable interface is a bad thing and that '70s era terminal keyboard shortcuts are the best.

the worst part about vim being from the 70s is all the hot takes from the 70s you get to hear for using it

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I like vim it's nice and I have it configured pretty well :)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i like vim because i don't do a ton of coding and i'd rather know the features I use are on pretty much any system vs coming up with some elaborate emacs setup that i need to replicate on every machine i administer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:allears:

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 1, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fins posted:

https://iss.oy.ne.ro/Shattered

An intersting attck vector, albeit not the stealthiest poc

Is it those Israeli stunt hacking guys?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

It's not that they are the best.

It's that no one has come up with anything better.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

wolrah posted:

modal editors are great, and vim is still pretty much the best at it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
modal editors are terrible

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

MononcQc posted:

the worst part about vim being from the 70s is all the hot takes from the 70s you get to hear for using it

RFC2324 posted:

It's not that they are the best.

It's that no one has come up with anything better.
we get it, you vape

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
:q!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft should go the apple route and only execute signed code without a prompt and force some kind of manual intervention for anything unsigned

i find apple's whole "if it's not signed right you have to go into the settings screen to explicitly allow it using a button that nothing in the denial dialog tells you exists" incredibly frustrating and therefore a real good solution for normies, good on you apple

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

i like vim because i don't do a ton of coding and i'd rather know the features I use are on pretty much any system vs coming up with some elaborate emacs setup that i need to replicate on every machine i administer

i use a real actual big boy ide for programming and vim for just loving with config files because of the reasons you listed and it works for me

thanks for listening to my opinions on computer thing, please like and subscribe to my posts

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

hackbunny posted:

we get it, you vape

emacs with vaper mode

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

i find apple's whole "if it's not signed right you have to go into the settings screen to explicitly allow it using a button that nothing in the denial dialog tells you exists" incredibly frustrating and therefore a real good solution for normies, good on you apple

No one normal owns a Mac tho

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

maskenfreiheit posted:

Maybe they will ban McAfee? 🤔

Inshallah

The hero infosec deserves.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

No one normal owns a Mac tho

so how many do you have

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chris Knight posted:

so how many do you have

i've had about 20 in total. got 3 now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure what effect that does but ive seen some of my coworkers smoking next to the intake of building-wide air ventillation system

it sure as poo poo makes your office stink like cigarettes if there isn't good filtration on the intake like my old office

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ate all the Oreos posted:

you just need to right-click open instead of normal doubleclick or spotlight launch FYI and it gives the bypass prompt

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

systemd continues to be a garbage fire

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

problem: "you give root to invalid usernames"

solution: "blame the guy who makes accounts with invalid names"

erm no

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

And they're not even invalid I thought

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MononcQc posted:

I like emacs

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I'm the 2 distinct failure modes for username typos.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hey, guys, guys, guys.

cyberwar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
NSA AGENT: Well, you'd be working on the cutting edge. You'd be exposed to the kind of dank memes that you wouldn't see anywhere else - because we've classified them.

• Locked thread