Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

It's OK man just wait a couple of months for them to release the Primaris Venerable Missilestorm Team armed with Venerable Rangedstrike Missile Launchers that fire Venerable Plasmastorm Deathbeam Missiles

After Reivers I bet everything is gonna be misspelled intentionally so it can be trademarked

Primaris Venarable Myssylstorm Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
P'rimaris

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm glad they fixed the AP on grenade harnesses.

Anyway, went to the store today but I forgot there was a big AoS tournament so just played with my tyranid bro again. He proxied his carnifexes as 3 stonecrushers with double wrecker claws, and I got wrecked. 4x attacks with S12 AP-3 WS4+ weapons that do d6 each, and reroll hits and wounds vs vehicles is rough. They're not -1 to hit like a crusher claw carnifex, and they cost 2 points more than a crushing claws + scything talons carnifex.

Favorite part of the fight was my badass IG in the chimera. He went first and all the tyranids rushed towards me. The guys in the chimera all piled out, special weapon squad up front, then command squad, then commander. Commander gave both of them the order to reroll wounds of 1. Special weapon squad hit the leading hormagaunts with 11 flamer hits from 2 flamers, and their demo charge got a full 6 hits and 6 wounds. That by itself wiped out almost half of the 30 model hormagaunt blob, it was glorious. Then the 4 command squad grenade launchers unloaded on his tyrant since it was T6 and managed a few wounds on it with krak grenades.

They all got charged and eaten quickly, but that special weapon squad was 43 points and it killed about 65 points of gaunts and put 3 wounds onto the charging carnifex with overwatch.

The IG commander heroic interventioned into the hormagaunts and started killing them, and next turn used Fix Bayonets on himself and just blendered through stuff with his power axe. Also gave the fall back + shoot order to my mortar squad that got consolidated into.

Met some cool people there that said they'll be there next weekend with 40k armies.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Zaphod42 posted:

After Reivers I bet everything is gonna be misspelled intentionally so it can be trademarked

Primaris Venarable Myssylstorm Team

Gonna be hard for them to trademark historical Anglo-Scottish raiding families: Border Reivers

Pretty pleased with the errata/FAQs so far: I like that they've added the ability for Sister Superiors to take a Melee weapon on top of replacing their Boltgun for one, which means that the models that currently exist are *actually legal.*

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I hope the enhanced digital editions of the books get updated with the latest FAQ/errata, would be nice to have everything in one place and that seems like the huge advantage of digital media. Also would be great if they added new releases like the new primaris characters and reivers to the index.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Xarlaxas posted:

Gonna be hard for them to trademark historical Anglo-Scottish raiding families: Border Reivers

Pretty pleased with the errata/FAQs so far: I like that they've added the ability for Sister Superiors to take a Melee weapon on top of replacing their Boltgun for one, which means that the models that currently exist are *actually legal.*

I was very happy they did that, I love my models with the power sword and Bolter, and was super annoyed that they were not legal.

Then again, I think plasma pistols on the unit champs is great now with the being able to shoot them in melee.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Page 242 – Understrength Units
Change the second paragraph to read:
‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay the Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized unit, even though it contains fewer models. If you are using points, you only pay the points for the models you actually have in an understrength unit (and any wargear they are equipped with). An understrength unit still takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.’

Looking forward to filling out a Brigade with 13 point single-marine units to get those sweet 9 command points.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Got my first 8th ed games in prep for ATC. Razorspam with Guilliman proved to much shooting for my Tyranid opponent.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

adamantium|wang posted:

Looking forward to filling out a Brigade with 13 point single-marine units to get those sweet 9 command points.

I think you can only run an understrength unit once. Like the rule is that if you don't have enough models to fill out a full unit you can do it; if you have enough models that you can make a bunch of 1-model units then you'd have to combine them into a unit.

So you couldn't have 6 1 model tac squads, but you could have a 5-model tac squad, a 1-model one, and 1 scout to take up 3 slots.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There is no way in hell any tournament is going to allow you purposefully run understrength units to fill force org slots. If that were allowed, I would run so many single man zoanthrope units... Smite everywhere.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

I think you can only run an understrength unit once. Like the rule is that if you don't have enough models to fill out a full unit you can do it; if you have enough models that you can make a bunch of 1-model units then you'd have to combine them into a unit.

So you couldn't have 6 1 model tac squads, but you could have a 5-model tac squad, a 1-model one, and 1 scout to take up 3 slots.

So a Termagant, a Warrior, and a Genestealer walk into a bar . . .

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Yup. "One unit of that type."

So as an Ork player I can get two extra Troop units by having a single Boy and a single Grot.

Imperium can do all sorts of stupid stuff.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Master Twig posted:

There is no way in hell any tournament is going to allow you purposefully run understrength units to fill force org slots.

... It's the rules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

... It's the rules.

So is forgeworld.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

... It's the rules.

It's clearly a rule to accommodate people with smaller collections, which tournaments don't give a poo poo about anyway. The ITC or whoever will just delete that line from their tourneys.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I mean, with how useful large unit sizes are in this edition, I doubt this will be too much of a problem. It'll probably cost far more troop slots than it's worth, especially with tournaments being limited to 3 detachments. That said, it's clearly a case of the spirit of the rules and the letter clashing hard.

Maybe a quick patch is understrength units cannot fill up detachment slots until hitting MSU?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 3, 2017

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Ayn Marx posted:

Awesome. I wish my version of this guy was that good:

You motivated me to paint more Raven Guard biglys

Were are the transfers from? Are those Forgeworld?

The tranfers are forge world, yes. I'm glad I could help!

Your manz looks real gud, bruh. Keep at it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

I mean, with how useful large unit sizes are in this edition, I doubt this will be too much of a problem. It'll probably cost far more troop slots than it's worth, especially with tournaments being limited to 3 detachments. That said, it's clearly a case of the spirit of the rules and the letter clashing hard.

Maybe a quick patch is understrength units cannot fill up detachment slots until hitting MSU?

They just need to add a matched play rule prohibiting under-strength units.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You still have to pay a point cost equivalent to the full strength unit. You could bring one grot as a troop choice but you'd have to pay the cost of a full squad.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Kingfish posted:

You still have to pay a point cost equivalent to the full strength unit. You could bring one grot as a troop choice but you'd have to pay the cost of a full squad.

The FAQ clarifies you only pay the points for the models you bring.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

No, the FAQ specifically says otherwise. If you're playing with points, you only pay the points for the models you have.

The answer, of course, is to not play with understrength units.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

They are just rewriting the rules at this point then. The rules as written didn't need clarifying.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

They just need to add a matched play rule prohibiting under-strength units.

Yeah, they just errata'd it out for matched play, probably to be fair for people going "gee I only have 29 Tacticals and not 30." And then the cheese emerged.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Kingfish posted:

They are just rewriting the rules at this point then. The rules as written didn't need clarifying.

Rewriting rules is what they've always used FAQs for.

The solution is, if your collection is small enough that you legitimately need to use understrength units, maybe stick to open or narrative play. Matched play shouldn't have dumb poo poo like this.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Yeah, they just errata'd it out for matched play, probably to be fair for people going "gee I only have 29 Tacticals and not 30." And then the cheese emerged.
But 29 tacticals is totally valid as two 10-man squads and one 9.
:confused:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Wouldn't trying to cheese with tiny units just get all those tiny units killed in turn 1 shooting (since you'd likely take longer to deploy) and give the enemy a poo poo ton of kill points?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

bonds0097 posted:

Wouldn't trying to cheese with tiny units just get all those tiny units killed in turn 1 shooting (since you'd likely take longer to deploy) and give the enemy a poo poo ton of kill points?

Sure, if you're playing the 1 out of 12 matched play missions that use kill points.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The fact that everything now has split fire definitely makes getting rid of single model spam a lot less of a pain but they really should have thought this through a bit more for matched play. There's no way tournaments would allow that to stand.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
The great tradition of tournament organisers of GW games banning GW rules will never not be funny.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah it's not going to matter, once the first few tourneys are written we'll all be on the same page with a bunch of the rules adjustments.

It's surprising we got an FAQ so soon after the release of the rules, that's encouraging at least.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Am I missing something with the Necron Overlord? My Will Be Done giving +1 to Hit Rolls doesn't specify BS or WS, just hits. That makes my Necron Warriors basically hit on a 2+ for shooting or melee, right? That's kinda insane. Rad, but insane.

Also, am I missing anything that says the Overlord can't use it on itself? It says friendly <DYNASTY> IFANTRY unit within 6", which the Overlord is. The Aura callout seems to imply it would work, yes?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mortanis posted:

Am I missing something with the Necron Overlord? My Will Be Done giving +1 to Hit Rolls doesn't specify BS or WS, just hits. That makes my Necron Warriors basically hit on a 2+ for shooting or melee, right? That's kinda insane. Rad, but insane.

Also, am I missing anything that says the Overlord can't use it on itself? It says friendly <DYNASTY> IFANTRY unit within 6", which the Overlord is. The Aura callout seems to imply it would work, yes?

Yep.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goose willis posted:

What's good for dissolving acrylic paint on a model without dissolving the plastic figure itself?

91% isopropyl alcohol. Alternately, LA's Totally Awesome cleaner.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

chutche2 posted:

Sure, if you're playing the 1 out of 12 matched play missions that use kill points.

Plus single models are stupidly easy to hide in a corner somewhere they will never see action. They won't be expected to do anything beyond allowing an existing army to get access to more command points. My regular opponent took ten minutes to spend 49 points to change his Battalion to a Brigade and all of those were saved by dropping useless guys in other units.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
So I've been toying with the idea behind this list all day and I can't decide if it's a good idea, if it makes me a bad person or possibly both.

The basic idea is that the bigmarines deploy as a screen for the Knight, ideally clustered around the Captain for buffing purposes. Everything else is crammed into the Stormraven. The Knight and screen slam straight down the middle of the table while the Stormraven sneaks around behind and drops a big ball of pain into anything that looks scary.

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Questor Imperialis) [24 PL, 474pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Knight Paladin [24 PL, 474pts]: Heavy stubber, Heavy stubber, Ironstorm missile pod, Rapid-fire battle cannon, Reaper chainsword

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [83 PL, 1523pts] ++

Select Chapter: Blood Angels

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armour [7 PL, 137pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Chief Librarian Mephiston [8 PL, 145pts]

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Scout Squad [6 PL, 90pts]
. Scout: Camo cloak, Sniper rifle
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

+ Elites +

Furioso Dreadnought [10 PL, 203pts]: Frag cannon, Furioso fist, Magna-grapple, Meltagun

Terminator Squad [13 PL, 232pts]: Teleport homer
. Terminator: Chainfist, Storm bolter
. Terminator Sergeant: Power sword, Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [12 PL, 190pts]
. Hellblaster: Plasma incinerator
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma incinerator

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 326pts]: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher, Twin lascannon, Twin multi-melta
. Two hurricane bolters: 2x Hurricane bolter

++ Total: [107 PL, 1997pts] ++

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

bonds0097 posted:

I hope the enhanced digital editions of the books get updated with the latest FAQ/errata, would be nice to have everything in one place and that seems like the huge advantage of digital media. Also would be great if they added new releases like the new primaris characters and reivers to the index.

They just need an app! The Sigmar app is great. Every warscroll is in there and when they update the rules it's immediately reflected in the app. On the downside, it's list builder tool isn't very good.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Bought some Citadel paints I'm looking forward to trying out. Carroborg crimson to wash my cloths with, dawnstone and tyrant skull for some drybrushing, runefang steel for highlighting, and some vallejo black thick mud paint I'm going to use on my vehicles. The carroborg is looking really nice.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Black_Nexus posted:

I was very happy they did that, I love my models with the power sword and Bolter, and was super annoyed that they were not legal.

Then again, I think plasma pistols on the unit champs is great now with the being able to shoot them in melee.

They are hella-rad models, same as the one with the Chainsword, however, most of my Superiors will probably just be rocking Boltguns, and I'll be leaving Melee to the Repentias, if/when I get them, my 2000 point list is all about Boltguns, Meltas, and Flamers, the holy trinity.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

Bought some Citadel paints I'm looking forward to trying out. Carroborg crimson to wash my cloths with, dawnstone and tyrant skull for some drybrushing, runefang steel for highlighting, and some vallejo black thick mud paint I'm going to use on my vehicles. The carroborg is looking really nice.

If you can find it, grab some of the Vallejo black lava paint, which is the best basing material on the market. Doing that, then Dawnstone > Blue Wash > drybrush Ushabti Bone makes some great bases if you like an urban theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Shooting models have three options now:

1. Fire everything that isn't a pistol or grenade
2. Fire all pistols
3. One model may throw a grenade

So if you have a Biker with a Plasma Gun, he can fire the bike bolters and the plasma. But a biker couldn't fire the bolters and his pistol.

That doesn't make a gosh darn lick of sense.