Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

At this point one has to credit Roman's in-ring abilities, they've grown into the level he's been put on. No, he's not one of the best ever, but he's not average either. I personally don't think he's ever going to get "60 minutes with a broomstick," good, I don't even think he's ever going to get to the point where he can be the guy leading the match, but he doesn't need those skills to put on great matches, which he does consistently. He has great chemistry with pretty much all of WWE's main eventers, and he does his half of the dance well every time. The matches that he's had recently that were terrible have to be laid more at the booking team's feet than his, including the Undertaker match.

I'll never stop laughing at the lengthy naps he takes in basically every match, or his consistent failure to perform power moves right, but at the end of the day he's not a bad in-ring performer anymore. His problems and why he continues to be despised are unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Lol you're right, Roman Reigns is definitely up there with Shawn Michaels, Daniel Bryan, Ric Flair, HHH, Seth Rollins, Undertaker, AJ Styles, and CM Punk.

Boy is my face red!

Someone should tell the wrestlers that all they have to do to get 4 stars is punch and superman punch, it would save a ton on injuries I bet!

He's above Seth and HHH tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "Roman takes lengthy naps in matches" is confirmation bias. It's an extended sell spot for the babyface before a comeback, something in roughly 99% of WWF main events ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know if people know what "Getting gassed" means but if you actually hit the wall you are not doing a fast paced series of comeback spots after five minutes of rest.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
now explain his powerbomb

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Roman is a better wrestler than Rollins or HHH. You heard it here first!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

All the shield guys suck now

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Romans the best one though, dang

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Roman's a good wrestler, it's just consistently hilarious how hard WWE tries to push him as a powerhouse when he's more like a striker, and seeing him visibly strain to do power moves while Cole screams "The POWER of Roman Reigns!" will never not be funny.

I can't understand how Vince & HHH see how much he struggles cutting promos and connecting with the crowd verbally in a way that he doesn't come off as an rear end in a top hat heel and they don't hire a good acting teacher for him, especially if they're planning on him being the ace of the company for the next several years. As the heir to Cena, Rock, Austin, Michaels, Hogan that poo poo's kind of important. Bret was the last sorta face of the company who couldn't talk very well, and that was over 20 years ago, and it was one of the things that probably held him back from being on top longer...and even HE was better than Reigns at it!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alan_Shore posted:

Roman is a better wrestler than Rollins or HHH. You heard it here first!

He is

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Your ideal wrestling match is 2 men punching each other followed by a spear? If that works for you I guess...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The "Roman takes lengthy naps in matches" is confirmation bias. It's an extended sell spot for the babyface before a comeback, something in roughly 99% of WWF main events ever.

Well, when I'm talking about his Naps its less about long sell spots and more about how he is consistently the least productive person in any multi-man match to the point where it sticks out like a sore thumb. We all remember the Royal Rumble where he Bravely Ran Away for a 20 minute break on his own power while barely even showing a limp, blatantly abusing a rules loophole because he had what looked like a modest owie based on his sell job. That's something one would expect from Miz, and it was done with the ostensible top babyface.

Again though, this weakness falls on the bookers more than Roman, at least is has for the last 9 months or so. There was a time when those naps were very clearly because of bad cardio, now they're just because of bad match structure. The same goes for the lovely power moves to a point, although Roman has to take a decent sized chunk of the blame because he's the one deciding to keep doing them when he knows he can't at the end of the day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alan_Shore posted:

Your ideal wrestling match is 2 men punching each other followed by a spear? If that works for you I guess...

Is your idea of good wrestling 20 slow paced minutes leading to a bad sledgehammer spot?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is your idea of good wrestling 20 slow paced minutes leading to a bad sledgehammer spot?

Don't forget sobbing after the loss and Snoopy walking to the back hoping for (and never getting) a Flair or Shawn retirement pop from the audience

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

it can be karate kicking or MMA throwing or tongan throat chopping or what have you, it doesn't have to just be punching, but yes pretty much. go goldberg

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Roman ' 7/10 ' Reigns

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Roman Reigns is underrated by fans and overrated by management

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tokamak posted:

Roman ' 7/10 ' Reigns

Roman "" Reigns

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
roman reigns sucks worse than anyone in history, now can we please stop derailing the thread

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Bill Goldberg posted:

roman reigns sucks worse than anyone in history, now can we please stop derailing the thread

Somewhere between this and Roman Reigns Has Always Been Good is the truth.

The Fashion Police are on the case.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Well, when I'm talking about his Naps its less about long sell spots and more about how he is consistently the least productive person in any multi-man match to the point where it sticks out like a sore thumb. We all remember the Royal Rumble where he Bravely Ran Away for a 20 minute break on his own power while barely even showing a limp, blatantly abusing a rules loophole because he had what looked like a modest owie based on his sell job. That's something one would expect from Miz, and it was done with the ostensible top babyface.

So Roman Reigns is as good as Shinsuke Nakamura? That's very good!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bill Goldberg posted:

can we please stop derailing the thread

Okay

WWE sucks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ragnarok the Red posted:

The Fashion Police are on the case.

I wonder who writes The Fashion Police stuff? Because it's real good stuff and while you couldn't make an entire show out of it, it's such a breath of fresh air in the middle of everything else going on.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Lol you're right, Roman Reigns is definitely up there with Shawn Michaels, Daniel Bryan, Ric Flair, HHH, Seth Rollins, Undertaker, AJ Styles, and CM Punk.

Boy is my face red!

Someone should tell the wrestlers that all they have to do to get 4 stars is punch and superman punch, it would save a ton on injuries I bet!

This but legitimately unironically, wrestlers could really do with making more with less imo

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bill Goldberg posted:

It's the wwe thread

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder who writes The Fashion Police stuff? Because it's real good stuff and while you couldn't make an entire show out of it, it's such a breath of fresh air in the middle of everything else going on.

Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley, naturally

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Was Wrestling always bad? All the time? Forever? At all intersections of time criss cross?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gatts posted:

Was Wrestling always bad? All the time? Forever? At all intersections of time criss cross?

Yes. But also no.

I hope that clears things up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alan_Shore posted:

Boy is my face red!

CM Punk was sloppy and got gassed and it didn't stop him from having great matches. Seth Rollins has been painfully average for the last year, Roman has definitely been better than him. Ric Flair did less moves than Roman and AJ thinks the Earth is flat and jerks off to Trump while Roman is a good dad and friend to all man.

Wrestling is drama and build not moves, friend.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

CM Punk was sloppy and got gassed and it didn't stop him from having great matches.

dunno did you see the Gall match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

dunno did you see the Gall match

Had a great finish.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

MassRafTer posted:

Had a great finish.

:vince:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Jerusalem posted:

Yes. But also no.

I hope that clears things up.

Just saw Omega vs. Ishii. Can confirm wrestling was always good.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Great Balls of Fire Week!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

rovert posted:

Great Balls of Fire Week!!!!!!!!!!!1

Now we are all sons of bitches.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling is drama and build not moves, friend.
i agree with you but wwe seems to be employing some dadaist ant-build w/roman wherein instead of making the fans wonder whether the babyface will overcome his challenge, they presuppose the idea that the babyface will win and work backwards to establish that maybe he won't this time? it's so bizarre.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
Pro Wrestling is about guys beating each other up and it doesn't really matter how they do it

I dont give a gently caress if its all flips or all punches as long as its good

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Let's go WWE!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WadeBartender posted:

as long as its good

Found the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Romans matches all seem very planned out to an insane degree.

• Locked thread