Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah see i knew all that, i just didn't have a good way of describing that city other than "the one in the sky" because that's what ti is for most of the movie

i didn't know it was a fake city though? where was that said in the movie? i thought it was a fully functional city. why is there a fake city there? who put it there? what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

i didn't know it was a fake city though? where was that said in the movie? i thought it was a fully functional city. why is there a fake city there? who put it there? what?
It's not explicitly spelled out in the movie. But the thing is (or at least my take on it) is that it's not a city at all, it's just a gigantic set of equipment meant to emulate starlight and sunlight for the flipped gravity populace. It just happens to look like a city when you get close up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A heads up, the Steam Summer Sale has started. Why am I mentioning this in the anime recommendation thread? Because there's a bunch of anime on steam now.

Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon is four bucks and change, GITS:SAC seasons 1 and 2 are 20 bucks total, etc. Pretty great deals for a lot of stuff.

One Punch Man's 30 bucks though, bah. The library isn't absurdly huge yet, but there's been a definitely huge uptick in anime stuff added to steam in the last year, some of which can be obnoxious to get sometimes(GITS:SAC has a tendency to show up and then arbitrarily disappear from streaming services seemingly at random).

credit to Poil for reminding me about mentioning this.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 25, 2017

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Any anime out there like Samurai Flamenco? I really enjoyed the genre shift and deconstruction. I've seen Madoka so not that.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Any anime out there like Samurai Flamenco? I really enjoyed the genre shift and deconstruction. I've seen Madoka so not that.

Deconstruction is not the right word for any of these but try Code Geass or Gatchaman Crowds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Evangelion

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are the highest quality Netflix animes? Saw one punch and AoT

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Try Gurren Lagann!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Madoka is the best anime ever made

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

esselfortium posted:

Madoka is the best anime ever made

Agreed and also seen it, forgot it was on Netflix. Will check out Garren Lagan

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Mushishi and Silver Spoon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The BLAME! Movie is supposed to be good, isn't it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've seen nothing but praise

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, Gurren Lagann is so fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The BLAME! Movie is supposed to be good, isn't it?

I mean it's not mindblowing but it's a solid adaptation of a good arc of a good manga.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Kuromukuro is absolutely fantastic.

I never managed to finish BLAME.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
little witch academia is getting added to netflix soon, and i've been watching through it and when it gets its footing it's a lot of fun

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
ID-0 is another good anime that will end up on Netflix at one point, hopefully soon, but there is no specific date yet.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

Kuromukuro is absolutely fantastic.

I never managed to finish BLAME.

BLAME's manga is absolutely gorgeous not sure about the adaptation.

Kuromukuro also got shafted because it had horrible subs when it was airing and lots of people just dropped during that season.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all i've seen of the BLAME! adaptation seems pretty drat nice, they've got a better handle on cg than a lot of productions

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The anime is definitely not gorgeous. It's on the lower end of the 3D anime spectrum. Shows like Knights of Sidonia pulled if off much better.

Still better than the new Berserk, though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the only good 3d is by studio bouncy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've only watched a handful of the Knights of Sidona anime, but the Blame movie looked leagues better; i generally don't have any issues with cg, but i found Knights to be fairly hard to look at even for me. In any case i loved the movie and am now reading the manga as it comes out again in print and i also plowed through the KoS manga and really liked it, plus i'm reading his new one now too.

So other than the hit to my pocketbook, watching the Blame! movie was a great idea and i recommend it!.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

the only good 3d is by studio bouncy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfckVY2GlQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What the gently caress was that? :stare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god let's not have another round of people ironically pretending to like Popee

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh god let's not have another round of people ironically pretending to like Popee

Ironically? How did I not know about this loving masterpiece?

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CCd_mXOAA

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 1, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What makes you think it was ironic?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ryuji Masuda is one of anime's few true auteurs

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Anything recent and spooky y'all can recommend me? I've watched Shiki and Higurashi recently and liked both of those, Shiki a lot more. I don't really like fightyman animes pretending to be horror stories, or at least that's not what I'm looking for (ie Tokyo Ghoul, Deadman Wonderland, that kind of thing).

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Shinsekai Yori is really good and is also basically dread condensed into an anime

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

KillerQueen posted:

Anything recent and spooky y'all can recommend me? I've watched Shiki and Higurashi recently and liked both of those, Shiki a lot more. I don't really like fightyman animes pretending to be horror stories, or at least that's not what I'm looking for (ie Tokyo Ghoul, Deadman Wonderland, that kind of thing).

Shin Sekai Yori perhaps?

I prefer the fansubs to the official ones, but who knows maybe it's just because i saw that version first.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Dread in anime form sounds like something I'd be into, thanks!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Note that it does take a few eps establishing the weird sci-fi setting before getting into the horror part.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The best horror anime is Mononoke, but yea you should definitely watch Shin Sekai Yori.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

an actual dog posted:

The best horror anime is Mononoke, but yea you should definitely watch Shin Sekai Yori.

They're both rediculously good, then follow it up with Mushi-Shi for some chill existential supernatural dread instead of the more grisly kind :3:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So I'm looking for a lighthearted anime, can be any kind. Mostly because I've been through a messy patch. So far only thing I've had suggested to me by a friend is a thing called Something Something Sakamoto. (Can't remember the actual title right now. All I recall is that the word Sakamoto was involved.)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Sakamoto show was pretty funny and light but I didn't see a whole lot of it. Flying Witch is a very easygoing and often sweet show though, maybe give that a shot too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

VolticSurge posted:

So I'm looking for a lighthearted anime, can be any kind. Mostly because I've been through a messy patch. So far only thing I've had suggested to me by a friend is a thing called Something Something Sakamoto. (Can't remember the actual title right now. All I recall is that the word Sakamoto was involved.)

Maybe try Alice to Zouroku. It starts out being about a secret organization and people with superpowers but (mild spoilers) quickly derails into being about a little girl getting adopted by the World's Best Grandpa.

Also seconding Flying Witch. If the above sounds like maybe it's too high-stakes then just go with that.