Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Yea I was half joking but you can still move coins if you're smart about it. I did it last year when price bands were awful and restrictive. Certain players wouldn't sell at their min and I had someone buy my IF Aubameyang for like 600k and then I gave him 100k afterwards. I forget the cards and the amount of coins involved precisely but unless you're blatantly obvious it's kinda easy to do smaller amounts.

They tag you for coin resets for anything that even smells like coin moving this year, lots of people got wrecked buying/selling bronzes for SBCs even though they were just trading at the current market price.

Some guy on reddit gave away a few million coins a few weeks ago (with a warning that it might get people reset or banned) and i think literally every single person got at least a reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, won the cup in division 5 and got promoted to division 4. Then I promptly lost all my games, got back to 5, where I also lost most of my games (2 draws too:banjo:) and now I'm back at division 6. This game is weird, I didn't change my playstyle and lost everything. I don't get it.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

shut up blegum posted:

Welp, won the cup in division 5 and got promoted to division 4. Then I promptly lost all my games, got back to 5, where I also lost most of my games (2 draws too:banjo:) and now I'm back at division 6. This game is weird, I didn't change my playstyle and lost everything. I don't get it.

Is this single player season or online? There's definitely an element of randomness to your opponent's skill level when playing online. I've had games in div 1 where I got blown away 6-0 and others where I've done the same but opposite.

Also I'm curious about your squad and the formation you play in.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elliptical Dick posted:

Is this single player season or online? There's definitely an element of randomness to your opponent's skill level when playing online. I've had games in div 1 where I got blown away 6-0 and others where I've done the same but opposite.

Also I'm curious about your squad and the formation you play in.

Online. I don't play fut because I don't want to spend ages trading or getting enough coins to buy a decent squad. So I normally play with Real Madrid in their standard formation :)
But yeah, I've definitely noticed the randomness you're describing too.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I enjoy nothing more than booting someone out of the final who plays like a dick. Accidentally picked kits that clashed like crazy and it was near impossible to do proper build up play. After scoring a lucky cross my opponent literally ran down the sideline every attack and tried to win a corner. If all the players didn't look the same I would've been able to stop it more often. Also pro penalty shoot out maneuver- shoot right up the middle with your first kick instantly and then pick left or right from then on. It doensn't give them time to think and they usually pick a side first time. From then on they think the up the middle is in your locker so they'll stay glued a bunch. It works a lot from me.

shut up blegum posted:

Online. I don't play fut because I don't want to spend ages trading or getting enough coins to buy a decent squad. So I normally play with Real Madrid in their standard formation :)
But yeah, I've definitely noticed the randomness you're describing too.

You can have a good team in FUT after about 10-15 games with coin boosts and the players in the bottom divisions are really bad. In fact my favorite part of every fifa is starting fresh and using budget players while finding gems and experimenting with what works. Obviously you'll run into some money squads in d 10 but they suck so I wouldn't worry about it.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 4, 2017

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcxEWF2cpeM

it's been a while, but i did it again

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

I've experienced exactly the same in FUT, only two divisions lower. I'm definitely not a good or very consistent player though, so I'm hesitant to blame any game or matchmaking mechanic too much.

Still, I'd love for FIFA in general to have more transparency in just about everything... It's probably one of the worst games in terms of active player community vs opacity of mechanics and simply un(der)explained stuff.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Now I'm on a winning streak. I actually started playing a lot more patiently and passing around a ton more. Now I have way more chances. I used to try and beat the defence with a well timed through ball and maybe get a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Now I let the ball do most of the work, the opponent has barely time to switch to the correct player to try anders defend and I have way more space. The amount of tap ins I've scored the last games is pretty crazy. Hope this lasts :)

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So my rewards were pretty decent, I didn't hit any 'big' players but should still make about 6-700k from the tradeables and have a bunch of useful stuff in my monthlies:

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Does that disconnect glitch still work? I just beat a guy 3-2 and after I got a message saying unable to process request and I took a loss for it. Seemed weird.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I pulled Lallana and Meite in monthly rewards, which is cool I guess.

Corpse squad has a new member :mrgw:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I reached my goal of 100 goals with TOTS Modeste in just 70 games, the man is insane. I lost count of how many hat tricks he scored. In his last game he had 4 goals :getin:

Goal #100:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyT7BM4NQ9Q

Goal #101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hANgsGqGw

and all 4 goals from that game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZc_QwvE7c

and on that high I think I'll be retiring FIFA 17 soon.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yesterday I reached a new low: I lost a tournament game to a guy whose team was all in the 70s, several guys playing out of position, and all starting at about 70 fitness. sigh

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Tzen posted:

I reached my goal of 100 goals with TOTS Modeste in just 70 games, the man is insane. I lost count of how many hat tricks he scored. In his last game he had 4 goals :getin:

Its cool that the commentator acknowledges that it's his 100th goal for the club.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So my squads have reached an absurd point now, very little I can do to meaningfully improve them, about the last thing I want is TOTS Lacazette to replace my SBC one but who knows if I'll come up with the 7-800k I need for him at this point.

Squad A: the Ligue 1/french thing https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4459483

Squad B: The BPL/Dembele thing https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4991579

French players are insanely good this year y'all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So the new premium sbcs require weekend league reward cards to complete. I think that's complete bullshit. Any sbc player should be available to a person with enough coins, forcing people to use cards from one specific mode of fut which requires way too much time sunk into to get cards useable in this sbc is ridiculous. I've never not qualified for wl when I wanted to but I've got only one gold reward card meaning I'll have to spend a poo poo ton more if I want to complete this

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

lol. I'm going to wreck my club just to get this dumb totti card and then I'm going to be unable to do the Xabi Alonso card that I'll want even more and be pissed!. All my silver rewards I have are in absolute trash leagues so making up the ratings gap and getting 70 chem (why was this a req) will be an absolute chore.

Also do the smalling voting futtie sbc. costs pennies and the card will almost certainly be required to submit in his winner SBC.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That card is going to be as ubiquitous as it is insufferable

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

So the new premium sbcs require weekend league reward cards to complete. I think that's complete bullshit. Any sbc player should be available to a person with enough coins, forcing people to use cards from one specific mode of fut which requires way too much time sunk into to get cards useable in this sbc is ridiculous. I've never not qualified for wl when I wanted to but I've got only one gold reward card meaning I'll have to spend a poo poo ton more if I want to complete this

Slow down, it's weekend league rewards OR informs, it's just to give WL players a use for their red cards finally.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

Slow down, it's weekend league rewards OR informs, it's just to give WL players a use for their red cards finally.

Lol, drat. Alright that changes everything. The text on the sbc is extremely poorly worded

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone tried SBC Totti yet? I've heard he's excellent.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Do you guys still do the Parma pro club where you control one dude?

Also what sliders you guys use for manager franchise mode Or whatever? OS Community sliders?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Anyone tried SBC Totti yet? I've heard he's excellent.

I hear his stamina is still extremely low and that's a big issue.

Waroduce posted:

Do you guys still do the Parma pro club where you control one dude?

Also what sliders you guys use for manager franchise mode Or whatever? OS Community sliders?

There's some dudes that play pro clubs, but nobody plays franchise mode or single player basically at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

I hear his stamina is still extremely low and that's a big issue.

70 is more than enough for me at CAM. Especially with those stats and stay forward. I went ahead and did it. cost ~150k. I tossed SBC Lewa into the fire in the process though. I'm not too upset I havent used a Bundesliga side in awhile and I can always buy TOTS Modeste.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

70 is more than enough for me at CAM. Especially with those stats and stay forward. I went ahead and did it. cost ~150k. I tossed SBC Lewa into the fire in the process though. I'm not too upset I havent used a Bundesliga side in awhile and I can always buy TOTS Modeste.

He looks amazing but I can't be arsed doing an entire league SBC to get another player to sacrifice on the altar of Totti

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

He looks amazing but I can't be arsed doing an entire league SBC to get another player to sacrifice on the altar of Totti

I chucked in Gareth Barry as well. I still have a few I wouldn't be mad about burning. Al Soma, Tim Cahill, Toprak etc.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I just got the most satisfying win in this game I've ever had. Went 1-0 up against this guy but let him score 4 on me in the first half through some absolute shithouse defending.

Dude was dabbing of course and pausing the game when he went 3-1 and 4-1 to tempt me into quitting. Proceeded to change formation in the second, got 3 back in the first 15 minutes and sealed the win with a Piszcek screamer from 25 yards in the 90th.

Don't think I've ever been that chuffed with a win.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
tots criscito, wtf?

This is the same guy who was chased out of Italy with forks and torches right?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

lol

Also, did anyone else pretty much stop playing this game? I've basically been winning the DKT first try and then playing 5 games in the WL for a couple months now but over the past month I've sort of given up. TOTS ironically sucked the fun out of the game. I'm retreading previous statements but with the skill gap being lower this year big players matter more and when everyone has a super team the game can feel like a crapshoot at times. People don't have to account for anything anymore with their players, you can literally pass shoot and defend at a high level with tots cards. Look at TOTS Criscito for example. Hmmm, an 84 pace center back with 75 finishing, 87 dribbling, and 92 short passing. Seem completely healthy and accurate, oh and he cost me 30k. I got SBC Totti and then played one game with him that's how burnt out I am on this edition.

I always play a lot less around the halfway mark but this year my drop off has been much more pronounced. The gameplay is too defensive and tedious, even in singles matches, to be a "pick up and play" game. I know it only comes around every four years but the WC add on for fifa 14 was genius. A different tournament structure, a unique way of earning players, new chemistry configurations, and most importantly imo the gameplay was significantly different from FUT so it felt fresh. it also gave everyone a second period of the fun building process everyone goes through at the beginning of the game. They missed the boat by not just doing it each year with the copa america, euros, afcon, etc.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
im the retard who just got this game and is playing career manager mode offline by myself :)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Waroduce posted:

im the retard who just got this game and is playing career manager mode offline by myself :)

Hey, if you're having fun.... I mess with the career mode a bit each year but if that's what you're looking for wouldn't Football manager be better (never played it but I've heard good things).

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i play FM as well, but i like FIFA to scratch the actual game play bug and when i do career i always do road to glories, taking teams from low divisions and winning the CL eventually with them

im not very good though so sometimes it takes a while

but i like seeing youth players grow and bringing them into the team. I also usually create myself as a physically gifted but very retarded striker or FB cause im a goober. Excellent physicals, no football sense or touch much like me in real life when i play

also because im bad im afraid to play online

my perfect footbal game would basicalyl be fifa on the field and FM everywhere else.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 11, 2017

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
the only game mode worth playing is be a pro

get smashed and make fun of people who miss from anywhere inside 25 yards

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dollas posted:

the only game mode worth playing is be a pro

get smashed and make fun of people who miss from anywhere inside 25 yards

I wanna do this but do goons still play

Also I'm real bad people will be mad at me :(

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The game mode until 15 (I think) where you could be a player and manager at the same time was great. Too bad they have removed it from the game.

By the way, here is something else they should remove from the game: that big black bar that lasts 3 minutes in the middle of your screen when you're trying to pause the game when the other player has possession.

Seriously, just do a tiny message at the bottom, or no message at all. It annoys me every time :argh:

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 12, 2017

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Does anyone know why the market for mediocre gold cards is spiking right now?

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Elliptical Dick posted:

Does anyone know why the market for mediocre gold cards is spiking right now?

It's for that El Rondo SBC I think all CBs jumped way up in value.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

People are too lazy to pick weird leagues where they're still cheap smh

I got that bum Jamaican from the bundesliga anyway so blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Am I dumb to even be considering a TOTS Portuguese league squad? I have around 700k to play with altogether.

good: killer fullbacks and wingers, decent midfield.
bad: no quick strikers (could also put noted giant Bas Dost in there), slow back line, poor CB depth
ugly: bas dost

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 13, 2017

• Locked thread