Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm surprised by how much they pushed Basil this episode. It felt like they gave him more screen time than Universe 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kanos posted:

I'm surprised by how much they pushed Basil this episode. It felt like they gave him more screen time than Universe 7.

Saving the good stuff till later. Universe 9 looks like they'll get creamed in the next episode so give them a bit of screentime for the moment.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like Basil cause he has the same name as my cat, I welcome his presence.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Someone set up a googledoc of the order of eliminations and who eliminated them

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
As someone that has only read the comic version of Dragonball Z back in the day, (it's baffling to me that the series is as popular as it is seemingly on the back of the awfully paced cartoon) how bad was Namek time dilation anyways? How many episodes did those 5 minutes take?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zwiebel posted:

As someone that has only read the comic version of Dragonball Z back in the day, (it's baffling to me that the series is as popular as it is seemingly on the back of the awfully paced cartoon) how bad was Namek time dilation anyways? How many episodes did those 5 minutes take?

Ten episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCdADaAvsk0

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I spent an inordinate amount of time watching different English covers of Limit Break X Survivor (the current OP) and i was thinking about making a Frankenstein translation using different people's things (giving credit where due of course).

Like, for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECMtbc9f-E this cover here, I think he nails the last few stanzas just in terms of translation & delivery:

"Seems like the door is always locked
What we could be's forever blocked
No need to fret, I'll break it yet
And there'll be nothing left but rock

Pull out a super limit break
You know it's all a piece of cake
You're gonna see a better me
The universe will surely shake

Right here on Dragon Ball Super
The gods we face will all be blown away"

But I'm not too keen on the very first stanza or the two stanzas segueing into the refrain.

Then there's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHi_pR1ULI this one has a cool line,

"The boredom deep inside
Has been petrified
My body feels worn out
As I'm falling down"

Trying to shop around for other good stanzas.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hitto! Nisu hitto!

Edit: I'm trying to figure out why Vegeta cares about U9. Yeah, Goku has beef with them but not getting Vegeta's

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 2, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After the tournament is over and Frieza tries to make his wish to live again, this version of Sheron shows up.

https://twitter.com/lheiskell/status/881406274994282496

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zwiebel posted:

It's important to remember that "awfully paced" was the norm back then. Sure, Dragon Ball is best remembered for it, but giant anime adapted from currently-released manga that were forced to add extreme amounts of filler to not catch up was the style of adaptation during that era. Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya are other examples of the exact same practices (although the latter had one very high-quality filler arc, Asgard is better than most of the actual canon).

Thankfully, that era is past, and only One Piece follows that horrendous model now, although sadly to an even greater extent than Dragon Ball did.

seiferguy posted:

Edit: I'm trying to figure out why Vegeta cares about U9. Yeah, Goku has beef with them but not getting Vegeta's

Vegeta just wants to beat people up. U9 is as good a target as any.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's important to remember that "awfully paced" was the norm back then. Sure, Dragon Ball is best remembered for it, but giant anime adapted from currently-released manga that were forced to add extreme amounts of filler to not catch up was the style of adaptation during that era. Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya are other examples of the exact same practices (although the latter had one very high-quality filler arc, Asgard is better than most of the actual canon).

Thankfully, that era is past, and only One Piece follows that horrendous model now, although sadly to an even greater extent than Dragon Ball did.

Hell, sometimes One Piece doesn't even adapt a full chapter per episode (In fact, that series could stand getting the Dragon Ball Kai/Sailor Moon Crystal treatment if and when the manga ends one day). So yeah, it could be worse.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 3, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sailor Moon wasn't the worst for it either, although I'm fuzzy as hell on the details since that was 16 years ago

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sailor Moon wasn't the worst for it either, although I'm fuzzy as hell on the details since that was 16 years ago

Sailor Moon practically ignored the manga, if SM Crystal is considered more accurate.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the Grand Priest has never seemed evil to me because there isn't any reason for him to be evil. He's literally the strongest thing in existence, and Xenos trusts him completely; the idea of him needing to sneak around and plot seems absurd to me. That's why I agree with the idea that he's not evil, he's just trying to keep Xenos occupied while also dealing with an actual issue, the low mortal level.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is a phenomenon that seems so baffling to me as a person who doesn't know much about Japanese animation, how wouldn't it take longer for them to create an entire season of an animated series than a black and white comic? Why was there such demand to keep making episodes while the comics were being made, couldn't they just have reduced or slowed down the rate in which the tv show was being produced? If they had to have filler, why wasn't there more stuff like the Garlic Jr saga? For all its flaws the Garlic Jr thing certainly feels like a better way to handle the lag time than stretching out a five minute battle with Frieza over 10 episodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

This is a phenomenon that seems so baffling to me as a person who doesn't know much about Japanese animation, how wouldn't it take longer for them to create an entire season of an animated series than a black and white comic? Why was there such demand to keep making episodes while the comics were being made, couldn't they just have reduced or slowed down the rate in which the tv show was being produced? If they had to have filler, why wasn't there more stuff like the Garlic Jr saga? For all its flaws the Garlic Jr thing certainly feels like a better way to handle the lag time than stretching out a five minute battle with Frieza over 10 episodes.

Ask any American television show that gets its schedule interrupted or timeslot moved how well they recover from it. A weekly series that isn't weekly will lose viewers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

khwarezm posted:

how could they do a garlic jr saga style thing in the middle of namek

the period of time between namek and trunks showing up is perfect for a filler arc because it's a short time skip, but all you can do with namek is make dumb filler episodes about goku training or turn bulma into a frog

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

the Grand Priest has never seemed evil to me because there isn't any reason for him to be evil. He's literally the strongest thing in existence, and Xenos trusts him completely; the idea of him needing to sneak around and plot seems absurd to me. That's why I agree with the idea that he's not evil, he's just trying to keep Xenos occupied while also dealing with an actual issue, the low mortal level.

the grand priest is evil because all gods are evil

semper ningen

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

the period of time between namek and trunks showing up is perfect for a filler arc because it's a short time skip, but all you can do with namek is make dumb filler episodes about goku training or turn bulma into a frog

You just reminded me of the poo poo Bleach pulled. "gently caress you here's a filler arc right before an important (lol) fight!"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's no requirement to put a totally different arc in the middle of the fight with Frieza, but like the three year gap between Trunks appearing and the Androids showing up could have fit something in while they waited for the Cell saga to be completed in the comic.

ImpAtom posted:

Ask any American television show that gets its schedule interrupted or timeslot moved how well they recover from it. A weekly series that isn't weekly will lose viewers.

Well, its not like these shows were necessarily airing non-stop throughout the year.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
https://s1.webmshare.com/JGJLJ.webm

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a weekly kids anime reuses animation. Surprise.

I was watching Kai earlier and they reused the same shot of Goku talking at least three times.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Space Ghost Coast to Coast did worse.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they probably have to save budget on these massive brawl episodes as much as they can to make the important episodes look decent later on. its honestly not that bad except for the spots in this most recent episode where they used the same shot, in the same episode, like three times. vegeta please stop punching that guy hes just blocking while you wail on him for like 10 minutes

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Larryb posted:

Hell, sometimes One Piece doesn't even adapt a full chapter per episode (In fact, that series could stand getting the Dragon Ball Kai/Sailor Moon Crystal treatment if and when the manga ends one day). So yeah, it could be worse.

Naruto Shippuden just finished at 500 episodes, and between that and the original series, a DBZ Kai treatment would be great for that show. Almost half of the anime was filter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

seiferguy posted:

Naruto Shippuden just finished at 500 episodes, and between that and the original series, a DBZ Kai treatment would be great for that show. Almost half of the anime was filter.

Naruto Kai would, Shippuden and OG together, last a grand total of 200 episodes. 100%.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Shippuden had more filler than a show that had like 60 episodes of filler to fill time for it lol.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly, if you're going to make a show based on an unfinished work, why not just wait a year and produce a bunch of episodes in advance?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Honestly, if you're going to make a show based on an unfinished work, why not just wait a year and produce a bunch of episodes in advance?

Thats what is being done now. Like with Onepunch Man, Attack on Titan, Mob Psycho, My Hero Academia.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

True, but One Piece for some reason didn't split itself off into two seasons like Naruto and Dragon Ball did (and is currently closing in on 800 episodes) it probably could have too since like the other two series' there is a time jump at one point, so cleaning out some of the clutter and fixing the pacing would probably do it a lot of good.

Though a Naruto Kai would also probably be good (hell, you could probably fit the original and Shippuden into one series that way).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 3, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

seiferguy posted:

Though the tail end of shippuden has filler which is canon.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

they probably have to save budget on these massive brawl episodes as much as they can to make the important episodes look decent later on. its honestly not that bad except for the spots in this most recent episode where they used the same shot, in the same episode, like three times. vegeta please stop punching that guy hes just blocking while you wail on him for like 10 minutes

You'd think they'd have some gorgeously animated punchmans, since they don't have to draw a background ever again for 30 episodes or however long this lasts, but it's Toei so they're already reusing shots in the very first episode of the tournament. :goku:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The thing with filler arcs is that from the getgo the audience already knows that by the end the status quo will be mantained. The new villain will be defeated with little impact whatsoever to the story, the heroes will resolve the conflict using whatever powers they already have (aka no new powerups/attacks), and any new character introduced will either die or return back to it's home planet by the end of the filler.

As a result studios most often than not put very little effort in developing the new characters, they rehash old fights instead of trying to think new and creative ways the heroes might use their old powers, and sometimes outright state from the beginning that they can't tell at which point of the timeline the events are happening we are just here to see cool low budget fights 'kay? (Eg. every Bleach filler transgresses these three points, with the exception of the first and last filler which were placed in the timeline immediately after the last canon episode)

Saint Seiya actually handled filler very well in the Asgard arc, introducing and developing new characters and powerups that worked only for that filler while tieing it all into the plot with little to no impact. Hell, they did such a good job with this filler that most fans regard it more fondly than the canon Poseidon arc that followed.

Slice of Life filler is also a safe bet in small doses like what Soul Eater or Code Geass did. Dragon Ball Z sometimes went overboard with it, specially so during the beginning of the Majin Buu arc.

Super filler is at it's best when doing comedic Slice of Life, whereas the weakest filler is the magic water one which had everyone tired by the end of it's 2nd (out of 2) episode.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Kelp Plankton posted:

I hope Vegeta just continues to wail on that one guy through the whole tournament. Just keep cutting back to that one shot of him ineffectively punching the alien periodically for the next 50 episodes or whatever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I demand that dragon ball be erased from existence for this grave crime that everyone knew was happening anyway

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
All the time Vegeta spends punching the blue guy is time he won't spend getting his rear end kicked by magical girls, so it's just smart strategy.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The king of everything and the king of everything are such good polite well natured boys. I hope in the future we can all get on as well as the king of everything and the king of everything.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Vegeta is the goddamned expert in doing the same pointless thing for an extended period of time and expecting a different result.

See:
1)Spamming small ki blasts
2)Trying to be better than :goku:
3)Pretending to hate his family
4)Punching blue guy's guard

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

do you guys think the tournament of power will take 48 episodes and each episode will be one minute in universe time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't say no thanks to that

• Locked thread