Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BrandorKP posted:

Someday sooner than I'd like, it's likely at least one of my parents will need medicaid if they end up needing nursing home care.

Thing are as bad as the doomsayers think. People will die if the Republicans are sucessful in healthcare. Hell some posters in this thread might. Tariffs might cause a depression. Things could get really loving bad. Climate is so depressing I won't even read the thread about it.

But the end of the world isn't. There are things to take heart in. But they do not lessen or mitigate how bad things go. But it isn't the correct response to dwell and stew and wallow drepressedly. We should be motivated to action. gently caress me I'm staring at the prospect having decided to volenteer with the dems for 2018. I've attempted to convince those close to me to do the same.

Keep loving moving. Our fascists have played thier hand and outed themselves (and they are fantastically stupid.) If hope is absent one must be it. If nothing matters, then one must choose what matters and live it. Emotions and thoughts are infectious. Be and say what you think the world needs and gently caress caring what others think about that. That's how to respond to this situation not sad sacking.

Yeah, I was talking to my cousin tonight. He runs a big a steel plant (they don't make steel, they build stuff out of steel) in Houston, they had been doing tons of business in oil before the collapse of oil prices, and have recently switched to building racking for big box stores, and he is saying they expect to get absolutely murdered if the steel tariffs happen, and they are gearing up for 40% tariffs on foreign steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

To each his own I guess. I personally look forward to every day even more now. Seeing what kinds of stupid, horrible poo poo will happen next is pretty exciting. Watching the optimists cling on to hope is icing on the cake.

Hey, if the world's gonna burn anyway, might as well unfold the lawnchair, pop open a cold one, kick back and enjoy the show while it lasts.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Wark Say posted:

Because following this clown car of an administration gets tiresome? Gotta learn to just... shut down this whole poo poo-sandwich for a while.

Do what I do. Get angry. Channel that anger into work. I'm doing what I can today so tomorrow's fights I matter in.

Powerless people don't get a say in dick. So I only read about politics when I'm completely exhausted and need to recharge the resolve.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Hey, if the world's gonna burn anyway, might as well unfold the lawnchair, pop open a cold one, kick back and enjoy the show while it lasts.

But why enjoy the show from the audience when you could be on stage?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I was talking to my cousin tonight. He runs a big a steel plant (they don't make steel, they build stuff out of steel) in Houston, they had been doing tons of business in oil before the collapse of oil prices, and have recently switched to building racking for big box stores, and he is saying they expect to get absolutely murdered if the steel tariffs happen, and they are gearing up for 40% tariffs on foreign steel

40% steel tariffs will murder the entire economy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Read a book. Exercise. Play an instrument if you know. Unplug yourself for a while. It does a body good.

This. And this is coming from one of the threads resident sad sacks. Please do some self care if you can.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

yep. its why i am just focusing on family/friends and college and hobbies. might as well live life now and be happy before the economy imploades and entertainment media dies with it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

What the flying gently caress.

That requires Congressional authorization. I think it unlikely.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I seriously need to tune out for a while, but I'm not really sure how to do that.

I spent all day painting and listening to old records. it was wonderful and the room looks fantastic. lot more work to do tomorrow.

way better than watching trump tweets.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

skylined! posted:

I spent all day painting and listening to old records. it was wonderful and the room looks fantastic. lot more work to do tomorrow.

way better than watching trump tweets.

sounds miserable

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Read a book. Exercise. Play an instrument if you know. Unplug yourself for a while. It does a body good.

I'm just going to spend tomorrow going around to my area's Barnes and Nobles looking for Gundams so I can unplug and build plastic anime robots.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

loving hell.

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/881553652116328448

I seriously need to tune out for a while, but I'm not really sure how to do that.
What if you go into a six month coma and when you wake up, they're like "oh it's worse now". Just kidding you never wake up because your health insurance dropped you in month two.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He has a ~magic card~ in his pocket that can kill everyone on earth.

Did that help?

What are the chances that Trump's dementia, his obsessive fixation on the media, and his immaturity all lead him to forget what the nuclear football does or even what it is?

Maybe through sheer mind-boggling incompetence the world is saved from nuclear annihilation after all. :shepface:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For real, it helps to actually do something. Donate money if that's all you can manage, but donating your time to local organizations (whatever they may be) and actually participating is far more rewarding. It's not helpful to stick your head in the sand and constantly pretend that everything is okay, but it is possible to meaningfully contribute.

Half of the posters in this thread seem to resting on a knife's edge of anxiety and that's not healthy at all. Bad news shouldn't paralyze you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mantis42 posted:

That makes me feel the opposite of better!

To be fair we've taken very bad care of the planet and should maybe consider getting out of the way of something that will take better care of it.

And by that I mean "let's go poo poo up space instead."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

For real, it helps to actually do something. Donate money if that's all you can manage, but donating your time to local organizations (whatever they may be) and actually participating is far more rewarding. It's not helpful to stick your head in the sand and constantly pretend that everything is okay, but it is possible to meaningfully contribute.

Half of the posters in this thread seem to resting on a knife's edge of anxiety and that's not healthy at all. Bad news shouldn't paralyze you.

Seriously your local Democratic party office could use some help.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What the flying gently caress.

That requires Congressional authorization. I think it unlikely.

What are the powers of the USTR?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Bad news shouldn't paralyze you.

But it does for many people. Just shuts them right down. And that's not something wrong with them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There are apparently a few avenues for Trump to impose tariffs unilaterally, without Congress:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/economy/trump-tariff-power/index.html

quote:

Trump could invoke the "Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917" to hit a nation with tariffs as high as he wants. Under the law, the president can restrict all types of trade "during time of war." That definition is very loose though.

America doesn't have to be at war with a particular nation -- it just has to be "at war" somewhere in the world in order to apply tariffs against other countries.

Experts believe U.S. special forces in Syria and Libya would suffice to meet that requirement for Trump to hit countries such as China and Mexico with tariffs.

quote:

Trump can also use the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. Ronald Reagan used this one. It allows Trump to slap targeted tariffs on certain industries, like steel. It's not as broad, but Trump can raise tariffs as high as he wants on specific things.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

There are apparently a few avenues for Trump to impose tariffs unilaterally, without Congress:

And 10 minutes later a veto proof bill shows up on his desk. I don't even think the HFC would even go for that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

And 10 minutes later a veto proof bill shows up on his desk. I don't even think the HFC would even go for that.

Tell them how pissed the left would be and they'd be right in line.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TARDISman posted:

Tell them how pissed the left would be and they'd be right in line.

Tell them how pissed off Koch would be paying 40% more for steel.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Tell them how pissed off Koch would be paying 40% more for steel.

Charles just was interviewed by freaknomics... they would not be a fan of tariffs. They would also probably benefit from them. Not steel specifically but just the across the board general tariffs Bannon wants.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

You're probably right, but directly overriding something like this would be a major escalation. I'm not 100% sure that Congressional Republicans would be willing to burn down all their bridges with the Trump administration.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BrandorKP posted:

Charles just was interviewed by freaknomics... they would not be a fan of tariffs. They would also probably benefit from them. Not steel specifically but just the across the board general tariffs Bannon wants.

How would they benefit from tariffs when they rely on raw materials being cheap?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

You're probably right, but directly overriding something like this would be a major escalation. I'm not 100% sure that Congressional Republicans would be willing to burn down all their bridges with the Trump administration.

If their donors say to burn Trump they're burning Trump.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think the kochs would benefit if the economy imploded instantly upon those tariffs being implemented

On another note, Pruitt and DeVos have to go. They are a direct threat to the environment and human intellect.

awesmoe posted:

this is a really loving good counterweight to all those 'but what do all the poor trump voters think" https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.2f050879aec0
Not quoting, just read it all
This is extremely powerful. I wish more people, smart people, well-spoken Muslims were able to stand up and risk, and endure, and say with all their heart exactly why this hate is not okay. What he did was commendable, not only because of the risk walking into the proverbial lion's den, but also that he was able to enunciate his righteous anger over being demonized and made The Other so well, the betrayal by people he thought he knew. Thanks for linking to that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

and how did the cousin vote?

Or the guy you quoted and his parents?

If they voted Donnie then gently caress them.

Edit : BTW, any highlights from Donnie safespace/ security blanket? Heard he did another one.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 3, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paradoxish posted:

Both of those options sound incredibly stupid. Of course once again a president may be using a law passed during a previous war to make people miserable today.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

How would they benefit from tariffs when they rely on raw materials being cheap?

They are in the energy business. They also are into every loving thing else you can think of. You likely buy Koch products. Hell if you are in a room with carpet you might be on a Koch product right now. They also make them here, mostly. He said they would benefit.

The weight carries depends of if ones thinks they are liars or true believers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BrandorKP posted:

They are in the energy business. They also are into every loving thing else you can think of. You likely buy Koch products. Hell if you are in a room with carpet you might be on a Koch product right now. They also make them here, mostly. He said they would benefit.

The weight carries depends of if ones thinks they are liars or true believers.

Yeah they make nylon for instance. I'm trying to think how they'll benefit since so much raw material is foreign sourced.

For those who want to argue with piss babies about tariffs: it'll be like quadrupling the minimum wage overnight.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah they make nylon for instance. I'm trying to think how they'll benefit since so much raw material is foreign sourced.

They are involved with many of the raw material too. I have personally seen that.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
This has probably been posted six times already but I'm not checking because I don't care, it owns (play with sound, Stone Cold's music hitting and the pop make it)

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/881533437148098560

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

no clue if this was posted earlier, but NJ is in the middle of a government shutdown, so our beaches are closed. Except for Christie, apparently

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/881644628172300288

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BrandorKP posted:

They are involved with many of the raw material too. I have personally seen that.

Do you work for a Koch company or something? That's a good way to get a guillotine fast pass, mister!!

Really the tariff thing will only bring about Great Depression 2.5: The Cheeto Collapse.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

sounds miserable
Distract me from Trump's poo poo storm with the story behind your custom text :stare:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

no clue if this was posted earlier, but NJ is in the middle of a government shutdown, so our beaches are closed. Except for Christie, apparently

Makes sense that they had to clear off the beach because of the dying whale.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Carlosologist posted:

It was posted earlier, but I definitely think it deserves repetition. I really didn't imagine that he would come up with a bigger or more petty "gently caress you" to his constituents than the bridge closure incident, yet here he is, literally basking in it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Carlosologist posted:

he knows it's physically impossible for us to hate him any more then we already do, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Christie isn't actually to blame for the shutdown here, if we're being fair about it, but he's also well past the point of giving a gently caress and seems to be actively trolling the state with some frequency of late.

• Locked thread