Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Monglo posted:

Not if the promises of making a video about why SW prequels are great comes true.

As much as I'd like to hear his arguments, I'm afraid it's gonna boil down to "hey, Lucas was critical of Bush/Blair and that makes up for the failures on almost every cinematic and storytelling level".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

As much as I'd like to hear his arguments, I'm afraid it's gonna boil down to "hey, Lucas was critical of Bush/Blair and that makes up for the failures on almost every cinematic and storytelling level".

Oh god, is that the prequel defense? That's a loving horrible argument.

Then again, it's really really hard to think up a good way to defend those loving awful movies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LanceHunter posted:

pretty much. i am giant star wars fan, (a big enough one that i went to lucas ranch/ilm/lucasarts for make a wish like 12 or so years ago.) and was the "right age" for the prequels and i think the prequels blow rear end. i'll say i like some of the ship/alien/droid designs and asthtics and some of the ideas but the movies suck rear end as hole. the only good points are Ewan McGregor (who by 2 clearly doesn't give a gently caress and is winging it) and Ian McDiarmid because he is Ian McDiarmid. the story sucks and what parts/ideas that dont suck are either ruined by the acting or the lines. gently caress that poo poo. i like hbomber alot but he has poo poo taste. and "lol its against bush and blair/cheney" is a awful reason to like a movie.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Clone wars cartoon was bomb rear end tho

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. i am giant star wars fan, (a big enough one that i went to lucas ranch/ilm/lucasarts for make a wish like 12 or so years ago.) and was the "right age" for the prequels and i think the prequels blow rear end. i'll say i like some of the ship/alien/droid designs and asthtics and some of the ideas but the movies suck rear end as hole. the only good points are Ewan McGregor (who by 2 clearly doesn't give a gently caress and is winging it) and Ian McDiarmid because he is Ian McDiarmid. the story sucks and what parts/ideas that dont suck are either ruined by the acting or the lines. gently caress that poo poo. i like hbomber alot but he has poo poo taste.

The Podracing scene was good also

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

true. i like all the inventive aliens and stuff. the issue is i was watching it and i realized that the movie was only half way over if that and it was gonna be like 45 minitues of trade deal talk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. i am giant star wars fan, (a big enough one that i went to lucas ranch/ilm/lucasarts for make a wish like 12 or so years ago.) and was the "right age" for the prequels and i think the prequels blow rear end. i'll say i like some of the ship/alien/droid designs and asthtics and some of the ideas but the movies suck rear end as hole. the only good points are Ewan McGregor (who by 2 clearly doesn't give a gently caress and is winging it) and Ian McDiarmid because he is Ian McDiarmid. the story sucks and what parts/ideas that dont suck are either ruined by the acting or the lines. gently caress that poo poo. i like hbomber alot but he has poo poo taste. and "lol its against bush and blair/cheney" is a awful reason to like a movie.

I used to just lose my poo poo at hbomb when he would defend Man of Steel or whatever, but I've reached a point where I appreciate people talking about things they're passionate about, even if it's impossible for me to share that passion. I'm already all-in on Lindsay Ellis teaching me about Transformers for a year. Not that she likes them, but there's a certain amount of passion there.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Lucas is best when he's allowed to make all his crazy aliens and do his worldbuilding crap, he needs to be kept far away from any plot and character writing though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The swordyfights were fun.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

It's telling that RLM never brought it up, because on its own, it is a fun action scene with a clear goal for our protagonist. Win the race.

Shame about the rest of the movie. At least we got that rad N64 game.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

WampaLord posted:

It's telling that RLM never brought it up, because on its own, it is a fun action scene with a clear goal for our protagonist. Win the race.

Shame about the rest of the movie. At least we got that rad N64 game.

Im pretty sure Mike in his Episode 1 commentary praised the Podracing scene

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I used to just lose my poo poo at hbomb when he would defend Man of Steel or whatever, but I've reached a point where I appreciate people talking about things they're passionate about, even if it's impossible for me to share that passion. I'm already all-in on Lindsay Ellis teaching me about Transformers for a year. Not that she likes them, but there's a certain amount of passion there.

i thought she loved the cartoon/comics and hated the bay poo poo.

SteelMentor posted:

Lucas is best when he's allowed to make all his crazy aliens and do his worldbuilding crap, he needs to be kept far away from any plot and character writing though.

this.

OwlFancier posted:

ehh. they had no emotion and went on for too long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lots of lightsaber noises and jumping around though. Good fight noise in the background also.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

Oh god, is that the prequel defense? That's a loving horrible argument.

Then again, it's really really hard to think up a good way to defend those loving awful movies.

If 'Ring theory' comes up you'll know he's too far gone.

OwlFancier posted:

I think RLM talked about that well, they just go on and on and end up so ostentatious it disengages you, well, me anyway. They also tend to carry little emotional weight, the best in that regard is the final fight in RotS but it can't overcome the first two problems.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 3, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Ughhhhhhhh.

Prequel defending is just the new counter-culture, right? Like this is just the dumb loving version of being a "punk" now right? It's the only thing that makes sense, I refuse to believe people actually enjoy these movies.

Irony has gone too far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I think RLM talked about that well, they just go on and on and end up so ostentatious it disengages you, well, me anyway. They also tend to carry little emotional weight, the best in that regard is the final fight in RotS but it can't overcome the first two problems.

I mean the swordfights are basically the only reason I watched them so a big excessive fighty scene is good by me. Value for money.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I suppose, they actually remind me of the Matrix sequels in the sense that both series had well know action set-pieces (Lightsaber duels, slo-mo kung fu fights) but got too caught up in their own hype and didn't know when to pull back a bit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I suppose, they actually remind me of the Matrix sequels in the sense that both series had well know action set-pieces (Lightsaber duels, slo-mo kung fu fights) but got too caught up in their own hype and didn't know when to pull back a bit.

The Matrix sequels are far more watchable. At least you're not cringing at half the dialogue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The matrix is a beautiful testament to the late 90's.

And also a fun kung fu movie.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

WampaLord posted:

Ughhhhhhhh.

Prequel defending is just the new counter-culture, right? Like this is just the dumb loving version of being a "punk" now right? It's the only thing that makes sense, I refuse to believe people actually enjoy these movies.

Irony has gone too far.

I've seen plenty of prequel-likers also loving the original trilogy, TFA, and Rogue One, I don't think there's any malicious intentions :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I agree overall but the most important duel of the PT was Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS and I feel it had plenty of emotion. The two actors put their heart and soul into that whole thing. There is so much raw emotion in every little detail, like how at one point during the sword duel Anakin starts just choking the poo poo out of Obi-Wan, or later on when he viciously kicks Obi and starts marching towards him in such a menacing "I will rip you apart" manner.

Also that music

Also as someone who never liked Boba Fett or got his crazy fans, I liked Jango. He even got his own fun little game I remember playing back in the day.

I defend very little about the PT but I don't think it was 100% bad.

On the other hand

WampaLord posted:

The Matrix sequels are far more watchable. At least you're not cringing at half the dialogue.

I liked The Architect scene in Reloaded. So I'm just a bad person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree overall but the most important duel of the PT was Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS and I feel it had plenty of emotion. The two actors put their heart and soul into that whole thing. There is so much raw emotion in every little detail, like how at one point during the sword duel Anakin starts just choking the poo poo out of Obi-Wan, or later on when he viciously kicks Obi and starts marching towards him in such a menacing "I will rip you apart" manner.

Also that music

Also as someone who never liked Boba Fett or got his crazy fans, I liked Jango. He even got his own fun little game I remember playing back in the day.

I defend very little about the PT but I don't think it was 100% bad.

On the other hand

I liked The Architect scene in Reloaded. So I'm just a bad person.

see i am mixed with the duel. if i had made it it would have been shorter and made them gently caress each other up more. like rey/finn and kylo fight, they actually hurt each other. glancing blows and poo poo. id want that. maybe anakin gets more and more hosed up through the fight and is basicaly running on adrenalin and hate alone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The prequel were always good movies that suffered from falling short of the great/amazing movies that came before them. The internet being where intelligence goes to die, "not being as good" became "pure garbage". Most of the criticism of the Prequels are either dumb, exaggerated or fake.

But the worst part isn't people saying "Actually, I found them fine/Personally I hated them", it's the strange people who go on a weird crusade every time the prequels are mentioned in a vaguely positive manner. The Tezzors of this world.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Most of the criticism of the Prequels are either dumb, exaggerated or fake.

No, most of it is extremely spot on, like the famous Red Letter Media reviews. They're bad movies, it's fine to admit that you like bad movies, I like plenty of bad movies, but I don't try to claim they're secretly ultra good movies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The prequel were always good movies that suffered from falling short of the great/amazing movies that came before them. The internet being where intelligence goes to die, "not being as good" became "pure garbage". Most of the criticism of the Prequels are either dumb, exaggerated or fake.

But the worst part isn't people saying "Actually, I found them fine/Personally I hated them", it's the strange people who go on a weird crusade every time the prequels are mentioned in a vaguely positive manner. The Tezzors of this world.

For everything I can say about Tezzor his relentless trolling of the CineD Star Wars thread is pretty funny.

Prequels are uniquely bad. Sorry.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Prequels are bad.

The asshats who unironically say the Empire are the heroes, the Rebellion are Space ISIS, and that the first movie should be remade from the POV of Tarkin are the actual worst.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The Prequels are bad.

The asshats who unironically say the Empire are the heroes, the Rebellion are Space ISIS, and that the first movie should be remade from the POV of Tarkin are the actual worst.

yeah, pretty much. but i still find the empire neat and interesting.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I'm not a fan of the prequels, but a lot of PT fans I know are usually just harmless young women who adore all things Star Wars, so I just live and let live.

Hopefully you guys don't get too burned by this hot take :smug:.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:siren: Potentially super unpopular incoming :siren:

I don't think any of the prequels are good movies, but I personally found them more entertaining than something like TFA. I think the prequels do a much better job of world building, and introducing new and interesting (if not, horrendously impractical) technology than TFA.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

SteelMentor posted:

The alien design process is the crew makes a ton of aliens and Lucas picks one

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
World building sucks if there's no interesting story set in them.

And the world building in those prequels and Matrix sequels weren't good to begin with.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The star wars setting is not great

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah if you're about to post about the prequels are bad check out the CineD Star Wars thread which has been burning for at least seven years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WampaLord posted:

No, most of it is extremely spot on, like the famous Red Letter Media reviews. They're bad movies, it's fine to admit that you like bad movies, I like plenty of bad movies, but I don't try to claim they're secretly ultra good movies.

Nah, the RLM reviews, as funny as they are, are full of bullshit. Now, they are very good at explaining why the RLM crew dislike the movie, as well as others with similar taste. And that's good! It is. But goddamn do they something just say the stupidest things. There are plenty of valid complaints about the prequels, they're flawed movies, but they're still pretty good. Not great.

Now, there are plenty of terrible movies I love. And there are movies that are really good that I hate, like pretty much anything made by Terrence Malick.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the prequels are. not good. they are bad. they. bad "stories" with bad acting. but theres a lot of cool things in the movies anyway. by that i mean stuff like all the costumes, the hard science stuff is cool sometimes [ok....people talk about midichlorians being bad but there was always some kind of biological basis for being able to use the force. luke's dad can use it...and he can use it...and his sister can use it...wow...what a coicidence xD) and the environment art is really cool. it wouldnt be fun to fly over 'naboo' in rogue squadron if it wasn't. for me that's enough and the fervor over them in either direction is pretty weird. i dont care that rots had to have a novelization in order to make any kind of sense because the list of movies with a compelling narrative is really not a very long list anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Trap sprung I guess.

Edit: I mean on me.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Is this like the inverse YouTube intellectual? "He has good points regarding social issues and discourse but he has some contentious opinions about nerd poo poo and I shall explain in detail how so."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I heard hbomberguy's favorite Arkham game is Blackgate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

I heard hbomberguy's favorite Arkham game is Blackgate.

Ahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Well in that case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_SAqT781w

• Locked thread