Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks all, picked up Dungeons of Dreadmore that looked the most like what I'm after out of the big list (turn based is my jam).

Anyone got opinions on Siralim 2 looks like a weird mix between a roguelite and pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Harminoff posted:

These aren't arpg in the least, but my go to youtube/twitch watching games are

Elite: Dangerous

Euro Truck or American Truck Sim

This game has nearly 70 thousand overwhelmingly positive reviews. :psyduck:

Can some explain what the appeal is?

And it's only $5.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

-Blackadder- posted:

And it's only $5.

Euro Truck Sim 2 is the best podcast game ever made. It's about chilling as you drive across Europe hauling goods - there's that gentle numbers going up - get the right goods, build your business, engage with a light management sim as you hire other drivers - and the main gameplay is just, so so soothing. I whole-heartedly love it and highly recommend it to literally anyone.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, as a huge fan of both ETS2 and even more so ATS, it's a great game if you have the inclination to take stuff from Point A to Point B. It doesn't have the economic buying/selling nuances that I prefer from these things, but it's a nice way to drive around a caricature of whatever state/country you're driving through. And it's insanely chill and great for podcasts or videos on your secondary while you just drive.

Also, the World Of Trucks online profile career adds a nice since of progression to it.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

-Blackadder- posted:

And it's only $5.

Its a tycoon game basically. 15% management and 85% doing the actual work. But as others have mentioned, it's the perfect game to play listening to a podcast or music.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, as a huge fan of both ETS2 and even more so ATS, it's a great game if you have the inclination to take stuff from Point A to Point B. It doesn't have the economic buying/selling nuances that I prefer from these things, but it's a nice way to drive around a caricature of whatever state/country you're driving through. And it's insanely chill and great for podcasts or videos on your secondary while you just drive.

Also, the World Of Trucks online profile career adds a nice since of progression to it.

Do any of the games use an up to date map of America so I can become a real truck driving expert making millions irl?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

extra stout posted:

Do any of the games use an up to date map of America so I can become a real truck driving expert making millions irl?

Nope. They're scaled down maps so it doesn't take IRL time to play the game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

AceClown posted:

Thanks all, picked up Dungeons of Dreadmore that looked the most like what I'm after out of the big list (turn based is my jam).

Anyone got opinions on Siralim 2 looks like a weird mix between a roguelite and pokemon.

Siralim 2 is pretty cool. You build teams of monsters each different monster has a unique trait to it. Like one of the first monsters has an ability that after your initial attack hits all other enemies that share a status effect with it. Additionally you can make/find equipment that have these traits as additional effects to form powerful monsters.

So part of the game is forming some ridiculous synergistic set ups and then changing the setup to adjust to the bosses. And the game is pretty forgiving when it comes to training up new monsters.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

These are all good cheap fairly-replayable laptop games you should all own already:

Audiosurf 1 - Play your mp3s and zone out. This is the game I go back to when I'm sick.
Cook Serve Delicious - The best HIT ALL THE BUTTONS FAST game. Not sure how CSD2 is gonna pan out, but warily looking forward to it.
The Room, - A cute little puzzle game, I completed it in 3 hours. I didn't like The Room 2 nearly as much though.
Pizza Express - Make some custom pizzas. Put sweetcorn on all of them. I think there was a story in there too.
Port Royale 2 - Maybe not that great, but for the price it's pretty fun for a few hours. Drive your ship around the Caribbean, trade weed to the natives, that's basically it.
Super Hexagon - Worth it for the music alone. You'll never beat it though.
Risk of Rain - This is great with a friend, not so much single player, again worth it for the music.
Hexcells - Puzzles!
Paint it Back - Picross!
SpaceChem - Oh god my head.

and not so cheap, Everyday Genius - Square Logic. I'm maths-dyslexic, I don't know how I put 31 hours into this.

This is my list of good stuff you should all own. Thanks for listening. You should also Join the Gift Train! and get a free rubbish game off me (when I'm awake)!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

These are all good cheap fairly-replayable laptop games you should all own already:

Cook Serve Delicious - The best HIT ALL THE BUTTONS FAST game. Not sure how CSD2 is gonna pan out, but warily looking forward to it.
Pizza Express - Make some custom pizzas. Put sweetcorn on all of them. I think there was a story in there too.
Risk of Rain - This is great with a friend, not so much single player, again worth it for the music.
Paint it Back - Picross!

and not so cheap, Everyday Genius - Square Logic. I'm maths-dyslexic, I don't know how I put 31 hours into this.

This is my list of good stuff you should all own. Thanks for listening. You should also Join the Gift Train! and get a free rubbish game off me (when I'm awake)!

Seconding Cook Serve Delicious as one of the best stress-simulators I've ever played. It was genuinely helpful for me to play it during finals because it reminded me that not all stress is bad. (And it was just good to focus on it and nothing else for those hours.)

Pizza Express looks right up my alley and in my price range so thank you! Gonna check it out!

Risk of Rain is actually good even if you don't have friends! I really dug into it and learned to love the levels and the flow of the game and Acrid, the best character. :3:

And seconding Paint it Back - one of the best Picross things on Steam!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Speaking Cook, Serve, Delicious, anyone try Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale?

Apparently it's an unbridled Capitalism simulator where you can viciously price gouge old men and children in order to pay back the loan shark trying to take your house. It also has some some minor dungeon crawling and extremely good reviews.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 3, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my gosh Snake Pass looks so good. Is there something secretly horrible about it or do you get to play a platformer as a big dumb goofy snake?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

It's Capitalism sim with some minor dungeon crawling and has extremely good reviews.

Hi I've played this too! It's genuinely good and the best game in its (admittedly tiny) genre. Everything about it is charming, there are unlockable fighters, and for that price you can't go wrong.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Dying Light is basically Dead Island but actually good, so I can't imagine you'll dislike it.

ok everyone is saying its good, I ll bite. Is the weapon system different than Dead island? I felt like Dead Island's weapons would break way too quick.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ulio posted:

ok everyone is saying its good, I ll bite. Is the weapon system different than Dead island? I felt like Dead Island's weapons would break way too quick.

They break but it's just not remotely an issue. By the time you'd even care, you'll have found five replacements that are better.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kater posted:

Oh my gosh Snake Pass looks so good. Is there something secretly horrible about it or do you get to play a platformer as a big dumb goofy snake?

I've yet to hear anything bad about it and, in fact, may end up with it by the end of the sale. It looks fantastic and I love that it's not just your standard run-jump-collect platformer.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nettle Soup posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the frequent reminders on this, I kept meaning to take my first ride and then forgetting.

Also, I got to give someone House of Many Doors, which I'm really happy exists (because I adored Sunless Sea) even if I'm not 100% sure I want to play it myself.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the frequent reminders on this, I kept meaning to take my first ride and then forgetting.

Also, I got to give someone House of Many Doors, which I'm really happy exists (because I adored Sunless Sea) even if I'm not 100% sure I want to play it myself.

You want to play it because it's really good! A lot faster than Sunless Sea, and it's easier to avoid combat. I loved the writing as well!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This may be old news by I decided Life is Strange was cheap enough for the punt and I'm real glad I got it because it's so loving good I recommend it to basically anybody.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm stuck between getting Ori and Hollowknight or Shovel knight. What does this thread think?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Stumpus posted:

I'm stuck between getting Ori and Hollowknight or Shovel knight. What does this thread think?
Are you in the mood for Metroidvania or Mega Man? For the former: Ori and/or Hollow Knight, for the latter: Shovel Knight.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Retroblique posted:

Are you in the mood for Metroidvania or Mega Man? For the former: Ori and/or Hollow Knight, for the latter: Shovel Knight.

I guess I'm unaware of the distinction. They all appear to have similar gameplay.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stumpus posted:

Ori: not a metroidvania, really. Increasingly difficult obstacle courses in an interconnected world. Really pretty, but has some really difficult segments. (I guess it could technically be a metroidvania but I don't feel it given how linear it is?)

Hollow Knight: is a metroidvania! I adore it, but I'm only into the second area. Has absolutely amazing combat!

Shovel Knight: not a metroidvania, is Megatron. Has the most charm out of this bunch, and the most humor.

...I'd personally go for Hollow Knight because I adore exploration more than I enjoy doing platforming through linear stages but they're all good. Except for Ori. Which is my issue, and may not apply to you!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nettle Soup posted:

You (generic you) should play one of the Delicious games instead. Slightly more about planning than reflexes, you don't get your whole day ruined with one mistake, and there's a pretty good sitcom plot to follow.

Or play Heart's Medicine if you really love your minigames.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Apparently it's an unbridled Capitalism simulator where you can viciously price gouge old men and children in order to pay back the loan shark trying to take your house. It also has some some minor dungeon crawling and extremely good reviews.

One of the few games I ever refunded, it is oppressively Japanese

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

You (generic you) should play one of the Delicious games instead. Slightly more about planning than reflexes, you don't get your whole day ruined with one mistake, and there's a pretty good sitcom plot to follow.

Or play Heart's Medicine if you really love your minigames.

Which Delicious would you recommend first? Or are they all interchangeable?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Anyone complaining about Morrowind is why we're stuck with garbage like Skyrim and why ESO implemented level scaling because nobody cares about world building anymore, in short I hate you all. Having said that I love Oblivion (modded to remove level scaling) so long as you completely ignore the main story line or treat it like a job you've got to return to every so often to remove Oblivion gates (and that one town oh well) sort of way so possibly I'm part of the problem, I apologise for being initially harsh.

Still, Morrowind is the best game ever and there are mods that that are pretty easy to install to fix the graphics issues and even the default walk speed which is glacial. Or just, you know, enchant some shoes so you never lose stamina and craft some spells that allow you to jump huge distances across the world and maybe a second to slow your fall speed to a crawl so you don't just shock everyone in a town by faceplanting at terminal velocity out of nowhere.

For those interested in Pathfinder Adventures, please don't be surprised/annoyed that a game where encounters are represented by a deck of cards drawn at random, which you overcome by drawing randomly from your own deck that you've created, which are used to then affect dice rolls that determine outcome, might just decide to screw you over for periods of time. Because seriously. Also if you link accounts with your iPad game (the dev has posted details in the Community Hub) it unlocks everything over there as well. I believe it's supposed to sync up progress as well but I'm not sure how well that's working.

Finally and most importantly, :siren:Gal*Gun Double Peace:siren: got a 75% discount at some point after the sale started so you can all go get that now like you secretly want to, and the crash during the dialogue for 1-2 was avoided for me by alt-enter windowing the game for that bit (I did get the crash the first time) but apparently that doesn't work for everyone.

Oh and Arx Fatalis is $1.75 and the engine port to remove any issues on modern machines is self-installing and 20meg.

If any of this is already posted then I'm sorry, I reached a temporary limit of tolerance of "Should I buy Crimzon Clover/Dungeons of Dredmor because a $2/$2.50 game with 95% positive ratings after over 600/2500 reviews is a challenging decision for me as a shoot-em up/rogue-like fan" posts. Every loving year.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which Delicious would you recommend first? Or are they all interchangeable?
I only played 2 (message in a bottle and new beginning) thus far + Heart's Medicine: a time to heal.

Message in a Bottle has a very... interesting plot. I started with that, and did not regret anything. New Beginning is the first game post reboot, and it has some issues. Not major issues, just basic UI stuff that gets ironed out in later games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I only played 2 (message in a bottle and new beginning) thus far + Heart's Medicine: a time to heal.

Message in a Bottle has a very... interesting plot. I started with that, and did not regret anything. New Beginning is the first game post reboot, and it has some issues. Not major issues, just basic UI stuff that gets ironed out in later games.

Thanks!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

markgreyam posted:

Anyone complaining about Morrowind is why we're stuck with garbage like Skyrim and why ESO implemented level scaling because nobody cares about world building anymore, in short I hate you all. Having said that I love Oblivion (modded to remove level scaling) so long as you completely ignore the main story line or treat it like a job you've got to return to every so often to remove Oblivion gates (and that one town oh well) sort of way so possibly I'm part of the problem, I apologise for being initially harsh.

Still, Morrowind is the best game ever and there are mods that that are pretty easy to install to fix the graphics issues and even the default walk speed which is glacial. Or just, you know, enchant some shoes so you never lose stamina and craft some spells that allow you to jump huge distances across the world and maybe a second to slow your fall speed to a crawl so you don't just shock everyone in a town by faceplanting at terminal velocity out of nowhere.

For those interested in Pathfinder Adventures, please don't be surprised/annoyed that a game where encounters are represented by a deck of cards drawn at random, which you overcome by drawing randomly from your own deck that you've created, which are used to then affect dice rolls that determine outcome, might just decide to screw you over for periods of time. Because seriously. Also if you link accounts with your iPad game (the dev has posted details in the Community Hub) it unlocks everything over there as well. I believe it's supposed to sync up progress as well but I'm not sure how well that's working.

Finally and most importantly, :siren:Gal*Gun Double Peace:siren: got a 75% discount at some point after the sale started so you can all go get that now like you secretly want to, and the crash during the dialogue for 1-2 was avoided for me by alt-enter windowing the game for that bit (I did get the crash the first time) but apparently that doesn't work for everyone.

Oh and Arx Fatalis is $1.75 and the engine port to remove any issues on modern machines is self-installing and 20meg.

If any of this is already posted then I'm sorry, I reached a temporary limit of tolerance of "Should I buy Crimzon Clover/Dungeons of Dredmor because a $2/$2.50 game with 95% positive ratings after over 600/2500 reviews is a challenging decision for me as a shoot-em up/rogue-like fan" posts. Every loving year.

you seem normal

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Palpek posted:

I forgot about this but somebody posted an interesting article on hidden gems on Steam:

http://www.nition.co/2017/06/finding-hidden-gems-on-steam/

It's a method where games with relatively low ammount of reviews but high ammount of positive ones are listed. There's still a lot of crap there but also some really good games. The article has links to various lists with working links taking you directly to the Steam store.

I wanted to say something, but then I saw Angels with Scaly Wings at 40.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh yeah - if you end up buying any of these, go into the game directory and delete everything in the "brand" (or "branding" forgot which) directory. Skips the 15 seconds of logos every time you start the game. Particularly handy if you only play 1-2 levels at a time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I sold $40 of stuff clogging my inventory but because of the new market restrictions I don't get the money until sale is over :/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Euro Truck Sim 2 is the best podcast game ever made. It's about chilling as you drive across Europe hauling goods - there's that gentle numbers going up - get the right goods, build your business, engage with a light management sim as you hire other drivers - and the main gameplay is just, so so soothing. I whole-heartedly love it and highly recommend it to literally anyone.

If anyone still thinks this is weird, remember that people buy space shooters like the X-Series or Elite or... Eve Online and spend their entire playtime shooting rocks or hauling cargo from A to B.

Ever been on a driving holiday? This lets you do that across Europe while watching numbers tick up. It's not my thing but I can see the appeal to a certain target audience and good for them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

People talk about Morrowind's problems like they were a product of the time it was released, but I definitely remember buying Morrowind in like, 2003 and finding almost everything really clunky and confusing then too. But it was still really fun to wander around collecting books and talking to elves

it was very pretty at the time, but the combat and the info kiosk npcs were rubbish even then.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ori: not a metroidvania, really. Increasingly difficult obstacle courses in an interconnected world. Really pretty, but has some really difficult segments. (I guess it could technically be a metroidvania but I don't feel it given how linear it is?)

Hollow Knight: is a metroidvania! I adore it, but I'm only into the second area. Has absolutely amazing combat!

Shovel Knight: not a metroidvania, is Megatron. Has the most charm out of this bunch, and the most humor.

...I'd personally go for Hollow Knight because I adore exploration more than I enjoy doing platforming through linear stages but they're all good. Except for Ori. Which is my issue, and may not apply to you!

Counterpoint: Ori is one of the best metroidvanias to ever come out. Metroids are fairly linear, it's just that you have to find the blue gate now that you have the blue gun and that could be anywhere. Every metroidvania to come out in the last 20 years has given you SOME guidance as to where to go next - super metroid perfected the "level design guides you" formula but even now I still need a walkthrouh when I get lost.

Ori is very challenging, but in a rogue like way "I died and it's my fault". Seriously I recommend it to everyone.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

-Blackadder- posted:

Honestly, I have brand new games I bought on steam during the sale to play, but I was thinking of Recettear on Friday, reinstalled it and played it all day Saturday. My new playtime is 50 hours. It's good.
Japanese as gently caress though, yeah. That's not why I like it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ori is great, and I loved it even though a) It's the only title of its kind on my Steam list and b) I couldn't finish it because I have old man reflexes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

kater posted:

Looks pretty fun and cute, but remember....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

markgreyam posted:

PSA: Arx Fatalis owns real hard

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I sold $40 of stuff clogging my inventory but because of the new market restrictions I don't get the money until sale is over :/
the restrictions aren't exactly new

• Locked thread