Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nalesh posted:

Do you want to get psykers? Cause that's how you get psykers.

Also anyone got a good race list? kinda want some more to throw in my galaxies.

Look on the workshop for the Xirmian race, then check Silfae's other races. He has a ton of custom races that have unique traits, play styles, start conditions, AI and player behaviors, and appearances thanks to being one of those rare individuals with genuine artistic talent and an ability to program. Many of the races also include their own unique ship sets too. They're also fully animated.

Said races include the usual generic races that operate like others and all sorts of other stuff. Like a race of holographic remnants that spawn like synthetics. Or a bunch of angelic semi-synthetic beings that live on the surface of stars and are basically turbo isolationists that are equivalent to a small fallen empire. The latter of which is basically a mid game blockade since they'll only declare on people if they colonize close to the one or two systems they'll usually ever bother to colonize.

Actually, here's the workshop page containing Silfae's works.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021525667/myworkshopfiles/?appid=281990

The aforementioned hyper xenophobic/isolationist star dwellers:

Silphae also makes a ton of "utility" mods Silphae. The purpose of which is to fill out little missing gaps in vanilla's portrait content. For instance, they created a new portrait set for many vanilla races that shows sexual dimorphism between genders. So aliens don't all inexplicably look the same. Silphae also made one of the best Synthetic appearance mods.

What it does is look at your race type and generate a synthetic appearance according to your race type. So if you have a bunch of humans you'll get a bunch of human looking synthetics. If you have a reptilian race as your dominant empire then the chassis for the synethics will look vaguely reptilian. If it's fungoid then it'll have fungoid appearance. Etc, etc.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Archonex posted:

Look on the workshop for the Xirmian race, then check the guy's other races. He has a ton of custom races that have unique traits, behaviors, and appearances thanks to being one of those rare individuals with genuine artistic talent and an ability to program. Many of the races also include their own unique ship sets too.

Said races include the usual generic races that operate like others and all sorts of other stuff. Like a race of holographic remnants that spawn like synthetics. Or a bunch of angelic semi-synthetic beings that live on the surface of stars and are basically turbo isolationists that are equivalent to a small fallen empire. The latter of which is basically a mid game blockade since they'll only declare on people if they colonize close to the one or two systems they'll usually ever bother to colonize.

Actually, here's the workshop page containing Silfae's works. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021525667/myworkshopfiles/?appid=281990

:stare: Are these playable races or only NPCs? Those sound wicked rad

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Danaru posted:

:stare: Are these playable races or only NPCs? Those sound wicked rad

Playable and NPC enabled. The AI knows how to handle them too. If you want I can post some of my favs.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 2, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Archonex posted:

Playable and NPC enabled. If you want I can post some of my favs.

Please do, I've been wanting to delve into modding a bit more and this sounds like the perfect place to start :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Danaru posted:

Please do, I've been wanting to delve into modding a bit more and this sounds like the perfect place to start :v:

I'll post details about the aforementioned hyper xenophobic/isolationist star dwellers since they give a good idea of the amount of work that goes into these races, along with a bunch of other example races after that:

quote:

Custom AI Personality
If my Custom Empire (and only that one) of Zeriphens is moved by the AI, it will acquire by default the Enigmatic Purifiers personality.
It makes the AI neglect colonization and fully isolate itself. While this AI personality is not particularly warmongering, it is very sensitive about border friction and will lash out against any neighbor that encroaches on its area of space.
When Enigmatic Purifiers win a war, they are coded to have their conquered planets cleansed of all alien life. It is also paired with about 40 new lines of dialogue for the various diplomatic messages, which provide multiple reactions for each vanilla species_class. If you use my Custom Empire, you'll still have access to some of this content through the tailored custom insults that your diplomat will be able to send to other empires.

Custom Trait
Heavenly Biomechanoid: The Zeriphens have boosted physical qualities that make their armies particularly deadly, yet they are incapable of colonizing new worlds (only way to do it is research all the colonization techs and terraform alien planets in Gaia Worlds).

Custom Empire
The Gates of Elikiol. It's a Spiritual Oligarchy, spiritualist/collectivist/xenophobe. Although it is not technically a Fallen Empire, it starts in a similar manner with most techs already researched. As such, even with the species' limitations, I would not consider this a balanced start for the player, especially in small galaxies. If left in the hands of the AI, it may very well work as an end game challenge: it will build up its fleets, but it won't expand. I’ve set this Empire as capable of spawning on its own (although it won’t spawn always), unless the player is using it, in which case it will never spawn.

If you wish to disable the Empire from spawning without using it yourself, you need to either disable the mod before starting up Stellaris, or go to the mod folder (Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/281990/... / zeriphen_portraits/prescripted_countries/) open the zeriphen_prescripted_countries file, search for spawn_enabled=yes, and edit it to: spawn_enabled=no.
You can also edit it to: spawn_enabled=always, if you wish the Gates of Elekiol to always be spawned in your games (although it’ll still be automatically disabled if you are using it yourself, in order to avoid having twin empires).

The race from those last two pictures posted:

Fully animated space dimensional horrors portrait set.
They twitch, and look around, and breathe, just like vanilla portraits. They have different castes and coloring, and scars.
You can easily use this set to create any Custom Empire you like, just like for the vanilla portraits.

Custom City Set
Cloudy, dark city, drawn by Oskar Potocki .

Custom Room
Swarm-inspired room, with dark tendrils and all.

Custom Name List
Long list of alien, Lovecraftian names.

Custom Starting Solar System
The Hollow Rift: a black hole with a few frozen worlds around it.

Custom Ships
The portraits are set to use a blackened version of the Praethoryn ship set, but that's not all.
If you own the Leviathan DLC and use my Custom Empire, it will start with a special ship type using the model of the Dimensional Horror this species is based off, the Hollow Form. Contrary to the Guardian, Hollow Forms are small and weak, but they come with a single extra-large weapon slot which allows the player to turn them into glass cannons.

Custom Trait
The species comes with a tailored trait increasing its habitability and balancing its other stats.

Custom AI Personality
If my Custom Empire (and only that one) of Hollow is moved by the AI, it will acquire by default the Eldritch Devourers personality. It makes the AI focus on hull and speed for his ships, and maintain a fairly aggressive stance towards its neighbors. It is also paired with about 30 new lines of dialogue for the various diplomatic messages.
If you use my Custom Empire, you'll still have access to some of this content through the tailored custom insults that your diplomat will be able to send to other empires.

Custom Empire
The Hollow Rift. It's a Hive Mind (which means it requires the Utopia DLC to be used by the player). Since this mod does not add any gameplay, I’ve set this Empire as capable of spawning on its own (although it won’t spawn always), unless the player is using it, in which case it will never spawn.
If you wish to disable the Empire from spawning without using it yourself, you need to either disable the mod before starting up Stellaris, or go to the mod folder (Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/281990/... /horrorworm_portraits/prescripted_countries/) open the horrrorworm_prescripted_countries file, search for spawn_enabled=yes, and edit it to: spawn_enabled=no.
You can also edit it to: spawn_enabled=always, if you wish the Hollow Rift to always be spawned in your games (although it’ll still be automatically disabled if you are using it yourself, in order to avoid having twin empires).

Silphae also makes a ton of "utility" mods. The purpose of which is to fill out little missing gaps in vanilla's portrait content. For instance, they've created a new portrait set for many vanilla races that shows sexual dimorphism between genders. So aliens don't all inexplicably look the same. Silphae also made one of the best Synthetic appearance mods.

Edit: And here's the Holofrixit/hologram empire. Which is presumably the remnants of some alien civilization. They kind of look like what you'd expect an alien hologram to look like if it was a TV show host. It's very Doctor Who-ish. Read the picture for details on how they work. It integrates both the caste system and the synthetic system to create an entirely new style of play.

Basically, get all of Silphae's stuff is what i'm saying. It not only adds a lot of content but also some incredible replayability between playthroughs.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 2, 2017

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I'm a big fan of the raptor people looking sullenly down at their tiny arms.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Admiral Funk posted:

I'm a big fan of the raptor people looking sullenly down at their tiny arms.

War has been declared
"Clever girl"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gearing up toward declaring my first war, and have two big questions I was hoping to get some advice on. Some context first:

My people are the Holy Terapyne Assembly, an empire of Egalitarian/Xenophile/Spiritualist turtles who basically believe it's their holy duty to spread paradise throughout the galaxy in order to tear down the walls between this world and a heaven-like state that exists beyond it. They get along with just about everyone except for the Klu'uk Foundation, some Fanatic Pacifist/Xenophobe chickens who are extremely paranoid, obstinate, and generally awful. Two of the systems I need to check out for the early game "hunt down these religious fanatic terrorists" quests are within Klu'uk space, and the Klu'uk have an AI personality that causes them to close their borders to literally everyone, so I'm going to have to invade them i I want to progress on that quest line. I feel like "you've been knowingly harboring terrorists for 20 years despite our best efforts at diplomacy" is a pretty good casus belli, but I don't feel like I want to go that far with this war. I know out-of-character that their AI personality allows for slavery, which the Terapyne would certainly oppose on humanitarian grounds, but the Terapyne have no way of knowing that yet due to the closed borders and such. Also, the rest of the empires I've met all hate the Klu'uk jsut as much as I do, so I don't imagine there's going to be a lot of insterstellar blowback for my activities. With that context, my questions are

1) How would you guys recommend I structure my war demands? Would making them open up their borders work, or is that redundant with the fact that I can just head into their territory during the war anyway? Would it make sense to just go for a very small war demand during this war, and start another one up later once I've got hard evidence of their slavery?
2) What kind of fleet power would you guys recommend? It's the start of year 30, my fleet power is a little above 1500 (I can get it to 1600 by building two more corvettes and maxing out my naval capacity), and all the immediate indicators suggest I could win. The contacts screen says their fleet power and technological level are both inferior to mine, and the only spaceport of theirs I can see has 1000 power (which is weird because mine have 1400 by default, but maybe it's a factor of the game difficulty). Is there anything I'm missing, or am I good to declare war on them this year?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I meant premade races files, like the file that has all the ones you choose traits n poo poo for, not entirely new race pictures, but that works too :v:

Also speaking of mods, is there an easy way to make a list of all your subscribed mods for friends to subscribe to?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 2, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nalesh posted:

I meant premade races files, like the file that has all the ones you choose traits n poo poo for, not entirely new race pictures, but that works too :v:

Also speaking of mods, is there an easy way to make a list of all your subscribed mods for friends to subscribe to?

You can make a collection for them, which will allow your friend to subscribe to them all at once. Actually making a collection is pretty annoying because you have to individually add every mod and the page tries to refresh for every single one you add.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm gearing up toward declaring my first war, and have two big questions I was hoping to get some advice on. Some context first:

My people are the Holy Terapyne Assembly, an empire of Egalitarian/Xenophile/Spiritualist turtles who basically believe it's their holy duty to spread paradise throughout the galaxy in order to tear down the walls between this world and a heaven-like state that exists beyond it. They get along with just about everyone except for the Klu'uk Foundation, some Fanatic Pacifist/Xenophobe chickens who are extremely paranoid, obstinate, and generally awful. Two of the systems I need to check out for the early game "hunt down these religious fanatic terrorists" quests are within Klu'uk space, and the Klu'uk have an AI personality that causes them to close their borders to literally everyone, so I'm going to have to invade them i I want to progress on that quest line. I feel like "you've been knowingly harboring terrorists for 20 years despite our best efforts at diplomacy" is a pretty good casus belli, but I don't feel like I want to go that far with this war. I know out-of-character that their AI personality allows for slavery, which the Terapyne would certainly oppose on humanitarian grounds, but the Terapyne have no way of knowing that yet due to the closed borders and such. Also, the rest of the empires I've met all hate the Klu'uk jsut as much as I do, so I don't imagine there's going to be a lot of insterstellar blowback for my activities. With that context, my questions are

1) How would you guys recommend I structure my war demands? Would making them open up their borders work, or is that redundant with the fact that I can just head into their territory during the war anyway? Would it make sense to just go for a very small war demand during this war, and start another one up later once I've got hard evidence of their slavery?
2) What kind of fleet power would you guys recommend? It's the start of year 30, my fleet power is a little above 1500 (I can get it to 1600 by building two more corvettes and maxing out my naval capacity), and all the immediate indicators suggest I could win. The contacts screen says their fleet power and technological level are both inferior to mine, and the only spaceport of theirs I can see has 1000 power (which is weird because mine have 1400 by default, but maybe it's a factor of the game difficulty). Is there anything I'm missing, or am I good to declare war on them this year?
1) Yeah, stick to something simple that you can actually accomplish without crippling your navy or economy. All you need is to win, IIRC, since you automatically get open borders as part of winning the war.
2) As much as you can support, energy-wise, but yeah, you should be good to go right now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Uh, what just happened with steam, I can't see any stellaris mods other than what's on the home page of the workshop, it just says nothing matching my search criteria was found

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 2, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Saving this for later. Also I did what the black hole told me so now my solar system has a black hole for a sun and every world is a tomb world. But I like tomb worlds so it's ok!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jenny Angel posted:

The Open Borders war goal is basically pointless, since you get border access with the truce you'll sign at the end of the war no matter what.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Turns out I'm a damned fool who didn't realize there's a 10-year period between me canceling all my positive diplomatic relationships with another empire and being able to declare war on them! Is there any way to spend influence or such in order to shorten that period?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good non-Pacifist build right now? Not being able to take over other dudes' planets makes things a little dull. Are Hive Minds any good?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Hive mind is fun, devouring swarm makes it hilarious.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
There's always fanatical purifiers, which basically reduces diplomacy down to "Xeno scum I am currently purging" and "Xeno scum I would be purging if they didn't have a billion defensive pacts." Weirdly enough, you can have vassals and tributaries as war goals, but no slaves in your empire (or at least I can't). Hard to justify why my empire could not stand letting xenos even exist on its planets, but is perfectly cool with them having their own adjacent empire and ships and everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

There's always fanatical purifiers, which basically reduces diplomacy down to "Xeno scum I am currently purging" and "Xeno scum I would be purging if they didn't have a billion defensive pacts." Weirdly enough, you can have vassals and tributaries as war goals, but no slaves in your empire (or at least I can't). Hard to justify why my empire could not stand letting xenos even exist on its planets, but is perfectly cool with them having their own adjacent empire and ships and everything.

You can't smell them through space, obviously. Or see them, unless you use a telescope.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GamingHyena posted:

They're temporarily bearable as Battle Thralls but having them actually polluting Our Sacred Clay is beyond the pale?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Fanatical purifiers make awesome vassals for xenophiles

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nalesh posted:

Fanatical purifiers make awesome vassals for xenophiles

lmao they must be so happy when their overlord lets them off the leash

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I did a militarist xenophile run where I vassalized everyone I came across, shits hilarious. Like two of my three starting neighbours were fanatical purifiers, I basically didn't have to do anything in wars after a bit :v:

Sucks I didn't take a picture of my relations with other races, every vassal, including my purifiers were like +400 :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 3, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good non-Pacifist build right now? Not being able to take over other dudes' planets makes things a little dull. Are Hive Minds any good?

I'm really enjoying playing as a crazy species of psychic genetic engineers on a .25 planets map. I have 10 species in my empire that I am slowly modifying into specific castes that in turn inhabit different planet types.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 3, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
In my latest game I've become the signatory of an Awakened Empire due to a very large and aggressive empire on my borders, which is fine (I wasn't playing warlike/expansive anyway), except that my Awakened buddy keeps on invading other empires then ceding the planets to me without either asking or even inviting me to the war. Is this normal behaviour? Are they desperately trying to buff me up for the coming Galactic bloodbath? Why can't they just leave me in peace to build my megastructures?!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I really wish there was more stuff I could do to gently caress with other empires outside of warfare. I really appreciated being able to resolve conflicts in CK2 without necessarily needing to do much fighting myself. I've thought about intentionally starting the AI uprising crises, but since I and most of my allies are spiritualists that sounds like it might gently caress me over in the end.

E: How viable would it be to create a species of absolutely garbage rapid breeders and unleash them on the rest of the galaxy through migration?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Nickiepoo posted:

In my latest game I've become the signatory of an Awakened Empire due to a very large and aggressive empire on my borders, which is fine (I wasn't playing warlike/expansive anyway), except that my Awakened buddy keeps on invading other empires then ceding the planets to me without either asking or even inviting me to the war. Is this normal behaviour? Are they desperately trying to buff me up for the coming Galactic bloodbath? Why can't they just leave me in peace to build my megastructures?!

The awakened empire is like a cat. It thinks you're too pathetic to survive on your own, so it's brining you gifts to help you survive and hoping to teach you how to become self-sufficient.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can a Devouring Swarm interact with enclaves? What about with the Infinity Sphere? Trying to figure out when would be the best point to adopt the Devouring Swarm civic in my hive mind game.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Infinity Sphere isn't a diplomatic thing, so you're probably fine there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Can't interact with Enclaves, unless a patch changed that recently.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Oh poo poo, you can select devouring swarm AFTER empire creation? That kinda changes thing.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is there anyway to upgrade droids to synthetics?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Should happen automatically once the research is done. I have had problems with it when taking over planets that already have robots/droids after I already have the research done though. Not sure there is any way to fix that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Preechr posted:

The awakened empire is like a cat. It thinks you're too pathetic to survive on your own, so it's bringing you gifts to help you survive and hoping to teach you how to become self-sufficient.

Hilariously, if you win a war of independence, it'll go right back and ask you to sign yourself out of it again. This is a bad move especially since the empire it ceded to you now helpfully surrounds it :getin:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

turn off the TV posted:

E: How viable would it be to create a species of absolutely garbage rapid breeders and unleash them on the rest of the galaxy through migration?

Rapid Breeders
Extemely Adaptable
And then all the worst negatives

Haven't played in a while so I forgot names/costs of stuff but I thiiiink you can do this

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Why yes, you definitely can do that. Make sure to take wasteful so you can be proper space garbage.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mister Adequate posted:

Can't interact with Enclaves, unless a patch changed that recently.

Same with Fanatic Purifiers. I've got an enclave in my territory who has 100 trust and would probably love to trade me things and boost my empire but my only diplomatic option is "gently caress OFF XENO SCUM"

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Should happen automatically once the research is done. I have had problems with it when taking over planets that already have robots/droids after I already have the research done though. Not sure there is any way to fix that.

Yeah it worked after I reloaded a save and researched it again, odd. How come a few of my Synths are enslaved but others aren't, do ones I've already build not get that status?

E: Nevermind they're all slaves apparently.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 3, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Rapid Breeders
Extemely Adaptable
And then all the worst negatives

Haven't played in a while so I forgot names/costs of stuff but I thiiiink you can do this

Make them repugnant and they'll spread Xenophobia wherever they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

Make them repugnant and they'll spread Xenophobia wherever they go.

Ah, Space Britain.

• Locked thread