Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Got my mastery today for Seph at work, go figure that NONE of the folks I specifically levelled for the fight were present.

Squall, 99, BSB2, Lifesiphon, Power Break. dualcast spellblade RM
Vanille, 99, BSB, Renewing Cure, Protectga Dualcast White RM
Y'shtola, 87, BSB/Wall, Curaja, Wrath, Mako Might
Ramza, 99, Shout/USB/Tailwind, Full Break, Magic Breakdown, Dr Mog Teaching
Agrias, 93, Cleansing Strike, BSB, Gaia Cross, Shellga. Ace Striker.
RW Eiko USB

After putting up protect/Gaia Cross/wall/breaks, and Agrias using Defend, Sephiroth was lucky to do 200 damage to Agrias with melee. Defend made Meteor go from a crazy threat to a complete joke, as it did vs the triple cast. She eventually died once Phase 5 hit and her absurd defense stopped mattering, but then Ramza got Shout and his USB off, followed by Squall dunking the bitch down with dualcast CMD1 followed by dualcast CMD2 for mastery. Instant Cast on Asylum is REALLY REALLY GOOD for saving one's rear end at that point, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Ok so after one underwhelming pull and one awesome pull on the 5th fest banner I'm trying to sort out what sort of main team to run. My current relic situation looks like this:

OSB: Orlandeau, Agrias
USB: Ramza, Selphie
BSB: Setzer, Tyro, Serah, Yang, Lann
SSB: Raines, Alphinaud (Deployment Tactics), Curilla (3x), Aerith, Shadow, Gau, Penelo, Fran, Balthier, Krile (Sheepsong), Krile (Unspoken Bond)
Unique: Tyro
Chain: Warrior of Light

I've got the makings of a nice Holy team, native Wall, no healer BSBs and only Sheepsong as a Hastega. My only Imperil Holy is Raines without any other relics, so that seems not worth it. I'm reluctant to pull again with my last 50 Mythril after getting such an awesome draw, but either healer BSB or Agrias Imperil Holy BSB would be super helpful.

Maybe something like Orlandeau/Warrior of Light/Setzer/Tyro/Selphie with RW Shout? Can I drop Setzer for more damage like Agrias and get away with some 3* Breaks?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Ok so after one underwhelming pull and one awesome pull on the 5th fest banner I'm trying to sort out what sort of main team to run. My current relic situation looks like this:

OSB: Orlandeau, Agrias
USB: Ramza, Selphie
BSB: Setzer, Tyro, Serah, Yang, Lann
SSB: Raines, Alphinaud (Deployment Tactics), Curilla (3x), Aerith, Shadow, Gau, Penelo, Fran, Balthier, Krile (Sheepsong), Krile (Unspoken Bond)
Unique: Tyro
Chain: Warrior of Light

I've got the makings of a nice Holy team, native Wall, no healer BSBs and only Sheepsong as a Hastega. My only Imperil Holy is Raines without any other relics, so that seems not worth it. I'm reluctant to pull again with my last 50 Mythril after getting such an awesome draw, but either healer BSB or Agrias Imperil Holy BSB would be super helpful.

Maybe something like Orlandeau/Warrior of Light/Setzer/Tyro/Selphie with RW Shout? Can I drop Setzer for more damage like Agrias and get away with some 3* Breaks?

This is a tricky one. For what it's worth, I somehow ignored your last line and came up with that exact team for a default holy kill squad before looking up and seeing that you did, too. I don't recommend subbing in Agrias unless you're really wanting to push damage over survivability, though. Then again, Tyro and Selphie can effectively manage your 4 and 5* breaks as the need may be, especially using Tyro's BSB with its breaks and proshellga, so maybe I'm wrong there.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i have a cid's mission for a fight that doesnt exist

Yeah it's Sunday, why didn't we get the bonus battles for the XII event tonight?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i have a cid's mission for a fight that doesnt exist

Shock Trooper posted:

Yeah it's Sunday, why didn't we get the bonus battles for the XII event tonight?

Just DeNA doing DeNA things. :shrug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

HPanda posted:

This is a tricky one. For what it's worth, I somehow ignored your last line and came up with that exact team for a default holy kill squad before looking up and seeing that you did, too. I don't recommend subbing in Agrias unless you're really wanting to push damage over survivability, though. Then again, Tyro and Selphie can effectively manage your 4 and 5* breaks as the need may be, especially using Tyro's BSB with its breaks and proshellga, so maybe I'm wrong there.

Good to know I'm not completely off base.

With now four duplicates and Tyro's OSB I'm a bit reluctant to roll again on this banner. I need to look and see what's coming up with a decent shot at a Medica BSB.

Does Shout come back any time soon? I know there's that insane Super Shout on that FFT banner six months out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kumog posted:

Got my mastery today for Seph at work, go figure that NONE of the folks I specifically levelled for the fight were present.

Squall, 99, BSB2, Lifesiphon, Power Break. dualcast spellblade RM
Vanille, 99, BSB, Renewing Cure, Protectga Dualcast White RM
Y'shtola, 87, BSB/Wall, Curaja, Wrath, Mako Might
Ramza, 99, Shout/USB/Tailwind, Full Break, Magic Breakdown, Dr Mog Teaching
Agrias, 93, Cleansing Strike, BSB, Gaia Cross, Shellga. Ace Striker.
RW Eiko USB

After putting up protect/Gaia Cross/wall/breaks, and Agrias using Defend, Sephiroth was lucky to do 200 damage to Agrias with melee. Defend made Meteor go from a crazy threat to a complete joke, as it did vs the triple cast. She eventually died once Phase 5 hit and her absurd defense stopped mattering, but then Ramza got Shout and his USB off, followed by Squall dunking the bitch down with dualcast CMD1 followed by dualcast CMD2 for mastery. Instant Cast on Asylum is REALLY REALLY GOOD for saving one's rear end at that point, too.

You can defend on magic?

I keep trying the damage reflect method and dying to like a mistimed dispel and it's so frustrating, I might just try Agrias BSB

Too bad my Agrias is level 1, I'm running dangerously low on growth eggs with how lazy I get every time I want to try out a nice new BSB

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Shock Trooper posted:

July 3 was always the plan for XII bonus stuff (yes it says 6/3 but it should be 7/3):

The thought is that

Attestant posted:

Just DeNA doing DeNA things. :shrug:
means that DeNA doesn't like releasing two new banners at the same time. For the fest with the Ultros/Select banner, there were two banners in one day but the Ultros banner was at 12/1 AM Pacific while the first fest banner was at 5/6 PM.

BGrifter posted:

Does Shout come back any time soon? I know there's that insane Super Shout on that FFT banner six months out.
Not sure when Ramza Shout is back but Cid VII Shout clone is on Tuesday's VII banner and Rikku USB (Party ATK/MAG +30%, Protect, Shell and Haste) is on July 13's X banner.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

iPodschun posted:

Rikku USB (Party ATK/MAG +30%, Protect, Shell and Haste) is on July 13's X banner.

Fuuuuuck. I forgot about this banner. I have two pulls left in the bank, and was planning on throwing them both at VII. Might need to rethink that now. Might be able to build up for another pull before that one disappears since that's a big batch of no dupes along with the crazy Rikku USB and a water imperil.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

iPodschun posted:

Not sure when Ramza Shout is back but Cid VII Shout clone is on Tuesday's VII banner and Rikku USB (Party ATK/MAG +30%, Protect, Shell and Haste) is on July 13's X banner.

Hmmm that's awkward. I have Ramza's USB so Ramza Shout would be really nice to have. But the VII banner seems really good with the much hyped Cloud USB and I think a bunch of stuff that plays nice with it?

But that Rikku USB is insane. :stare:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cleared sephiroth. Standard turtle strategy with tyro being the one to get his face punched in:

I really just kinda had the perfect storm of relics.
Alphinaud had Deployment Tactics.
Vanille had her BSB
Ramza had shout
Eiko had her USB and BSB
Tyro had Wall.
I RWed vanille's BSB because i didnt know what else to take and thought having 2 more insta cast oh poo poo buttons would help (it did).

Took a few tries but once i got the momentum down it was really simple to the end. Ramza probably wouldnt have even died if i left him in the back row.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 3, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Huge amounts of 5* and 6* skill buffs incoming:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6kyusu/full_list_of_abilities_rebalance_included_with/

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 3, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh poo poo Mug Bloodlust debuff

Also makes chains more useful, all the elemental attacks seem to do more hits.

Edit: I actually use Vaan + BSB + Mug Bloodlust as my "support" character and he does more than enough supporting

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 3, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Woah four hits on the Chain -ga spells.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Looks like they're really pushing into a meta change, with an emphasis on hones, chaining and and USB / EX mode buffs, while leaving BSB meta still effective, but maybe less so.

It obviously benefits long term players more, but I guess with BSBs raining from the sky these days, newer players won't be left in the dust, which is good.

Looking forward to these changes, should keep things quite fresh

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Inge posted:

Looks like they're really pushing into a meta change, with an emphasis on hones, chaining and and USB / EX mode buffs, while leaving BSB meta still effective, but maybe less so.

It obviously benefits long term players more, but I guess with BSBs raining from the sky these days, newer players won't be left in the dust, which is good.

Looking forward to these changes, should keep things quite fresh

I think it's overall a good move. The BSB meta was generally not very healthy when it came to things like the value of 5* skills. Considering how much time and effort it takes to hone even one to r3, it was pretty absurd how they were almost all worse than your average BSB command.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'd love to move away from wall being so goddamn mandatory. You still must bring it to everything because with protect/shell and breakdowns bosses still will hit for like 2k to 5k. Yeah. There are attacks that ignore res and def, but a lot of the basic attacks bosses do outside of those require wall to not make damage so incredibly spikey. I mean the dungeon that's coming down the road that you can't pick a RW gives you wall as your RW.

I wouldn't care if I had gotten anything else for Tyro admittedly so I could have other buttons to press on him though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Holy poo poo the Mug Bloodlust buff :catstare: Wall Break on Odin, too! Saint Cross is high regen! This is all awesome, oh man.

Servaetes posted:

I'd love to move away from wall being so goddamn mandatory. You still must bring it to everything because with protect/shell and breakdowns bosses still will hit for like 2k to 5k. Yeah. There are attacks that ignore res and def, but a lot of the basic attacks bosses do outside of those require wall to not make damage so incredibly spikey. I mean the dungeon that's coming down the road that you can't pick a RW gives you wall as your RW.

I wouldn't care if I had gotten anything else for Tyro admittedly so I could have other buttons to press on him though

Wall is already optional if you have an additional stacking -ATK or -MAG buff on top of Full Break and MBD/PBD. The big ones would be something like Yuffie's Clearest Tranquil for physical bosses, Vaan's Ark Blast for magical bosses, and Setzer's Mostly Megaflare for hybrids, or a hyperbreak like Faris's Phantom.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well poo poo, looks like it'll be time to make holy. Flare strike and flare being 5-hits is interesting too.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Got holy chain, vanille usb + bsb, and curilla ssb from my 11 draw. Very thankful neither of my 2 disco balls were tyros trap osb

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Got holy chain, vanille usb + bsb, and curilla ssb from my 11 draw. Very thankful neither of my 2 disco balls were tyros trap osb

I'm afraid to pull on this banner for this reason. It looks great, but that OSB...which I already got from that Nightmare Lucky Draw a while back. :(

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm afraid to pull on this banner for this reason. It looks great, but that OSB...which I already got from that Nightmare Lucky Draw a while back. :(

If you don't already have it and do have OK BSB, I will say it's a shockingly good stat stick for him. Very good Attack and Magic on it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So no lifebane change huh? Well neither is omega I guess.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sephiroth down! :toot:

Missed mastery becauze Tyro and Tifa went down right at the end. Not sure I'm going back for those 4* motes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Managed to clutch out a victory against Despairphiroth.

Squall: Lifesiphon, Snowspell Strike (never used it) with Love's Wake using Steely Blade
Y'shtola: Wrath, Shellga with Mako Might using Stoneskin II and Asylum
Arc: Curaja, Protectga with Knight's Charge using Word of Blessing
Irvine: Power/Magic Breakdown with Ace Striker using Flame Shot
Ramza: Draw Fire and Lifesiphone (also never used it) with Dr. Mog's using Shout

RW: Eiko's USB, instant Curaga/Last Stand/Haste

The thing that messed me up the most was overestimating or underestimating my offense leading to some pretty scary Dispel-attacks that I could barely recover from on failed attempts. Once I got more experienced with it, and also let the Last Stand proc on the RW before I used it again, I managed to pull out a victory. I couldn't have done it without my double medicas and without Ramza taking a large brunt of the Sudden Cruelty (Defend is really good!). Steely Blade had no trouble being recast when I was out even without Ace Striker/Battleforged on, so the increased damage really helped. I took Snowspell Strike just in case there was a lull, but there wasn't.

And now I'm 9 Vitality motes away from fully unlocking Squall's Legend Sphere. I'm going to assume that it's going to take some time before they come around, but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Nihilarian posted:

Sephiroth down! :toot:

Missed mastery becauze Tyro and Tifa went down right at the end. Not sure I'm going back for those 4* motes.

Someone did the math on Reddit and basically you'll always run out of 4star vitality motes waaaay before running out of bravery motes because those are always connected together in dives.

You could safely skip any bravery 4star motes if you have more than vitality motes more or less.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I really like the upcoming changes to 5* abilities. It seems like it'll make Cloud's USB a lot less necessary, since half of its appeal for me was removing damage caps.

It'll still be amazing with SSBs that improve crit damage, of course.

Edit: It also means party wide 50% crit from other SBs is probably going to be "good enough" for me. I don't think I'm going to bother pulling for Cloud anymore, too many dupes and bad SBs.

Rikku's banner also looks terrible outside her USB and her LM are all over the place so I think she'd be a better RW.

I think I'll just hoard mythril until FFVIII's amazing mage meta banner. Nearly everything is good and I have no dupes!

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 3, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can someone walk me through the Deployment tactics strat on Seph like I'm a complete dumbass, because I still can't figure out the timing. My setup is:

Alphinaud / Meltdown + Drainga / Mako Might / Deployment Tactics
Onion Knight / Full Break + Shellga / Ace Striker / Vessel of Fate
Vaan / Power Breakdown + Magic Breakdown / Battleforged / Ark Blast
YShtola / Curada + Wrath / Dr. Mog's Teachings / Wall + Asylum
Vanille / Ultra Cure + Protectga / Lionheart / Transcendant Dream

RW Eiko USB

This looks similar to what everyone else is using, but I can't figure it out. I set up Deployment Tactics + mitigation, Wall + reapply buffs after he dispels while keeping debuffs on him, and using Vaan / OK to do little chip damage with their BSBs while he kills himself, but there always ends up being some time where I can't get all my mitigation back up before he goes off on some insane combo streak. I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to be saving Eiko's USB for specific times, or if it's just a general use "oh poo poo" button.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
generally you dont want to recast eiko's USB unless people have used up their last stands, but do save it until he does his curHP attack after the first dispel. thats absolutely the first time you want to use it

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to be saving Eiko's USB for specific times, or if it's just a general use "oh poo poo" button.

I don't have radiant shield but I found the fight went a lot better when I stopped saving Eiko's USB for a theoretical perfect opportunity.

Ideally at least a few people have used the last stand, the phase of the fight doesn't really matter.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Whoops, wrong thread.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I have been trying to make Yuna's USB work for Despairoth, but I don't think this is working out very well! I lack Alphinaud's SSB and Eiko's USB, unfortunately. I think I may be boned. I made some good leeway into the last fourth of the fight, but I just got slaughtered by the spam of Octoslashes.

I hate loving dispel mechanics. I also want a timer like this in EVERY drat fights.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dear DeNA, please give me an actual HP percentage below the HP bar for boss fights that do ultimate dispels at a fixed percentage, so that I don't have to guess when I'm about to be hosed over.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's actually possible to force the game to display the timer in every fight now, but it involves using a proxy and injecting code, so it carries the incredibly slight risk of an eventual ban for modifying game code and also requires you to do all the proxy stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Dear DeNA, please give me an actual HP percentage below the HP bar for boss fights that do ultimate dispels at a fixed percentage, so that I don't have to guess when I'm about to be hosed over.

Also buff/debuff timers. It is so infuriating to lose a fight because wall went down right before a big attack and I had way of knowing that I should have reset it in my previous action.

Speaking of which, I almost beat the 300 torment today. I ran out of atk buff at the end because it was either Shout again or Tailwind to keep everyone alive through another Megaflare. Had I known Shout would wear off before he was dead I would've yolo'd the Shout and hoped for good RNG.

Lack of buff/debuff timers is one of my biggest complaints with this game. I shouldn't have to guess!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Fister Roboto posted:

Were you around when there wasn't even hp bars for enemies

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The timer can actually be used to track when you need to refresh Wall. So of course it debuts in the fight where the time to refresh it is always "After he dispels"

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Eh, it was kind of nice for me to figure out how long I could stay in Phase 1 before finally having to start my plan of skipping one of his dispel phases. Couldn't keep Lifesiphoning forever, because poo poo starts to hurt when Wall falls off.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its crazy that i have 35 million gil in unused 5* equipment upgrade material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Once I got a sense of the timing this wasn't too hard for my team, just tedious. The basic strategy was to put down just enough buffs/debuffs that I could throw 2x OSBs at a time for maximum damage, while abusing Aura so that Sephiroth was nearly locked just to throwing dispels, and ignoring the dispels on my OSB-throwing characters through abuse of Grand Cross. (He did eventually throw a final Octaslash of Despair and Sudden Cruelty in his last phase before I killed him, but no one even needed the Last Stand to stay alive.) To do so I absolutely needed the enelement buffs, both for Quistis (BSB -> poison) and Zidane (SSB -> wind), to push the relevant damage values from 50-60K to caps.

For anyone else to follow along, you'd want the following:
  • Enelement -> OSB combos for two people, and RMs to support those OSBs. This is why I didn't use Orlandeau (as he currently has no source of such), and why Zidane has a +Thief RM (as his OSB carries the Thief school for some reason).
  • Ways to get those characters to the damage cap, between synergy gear, other buffs to ATK and/or MAG, debuffs to DEF and/or RES, +element gear, and the occasional RD boost.
  • Proshellga + Wall. Unless you have a lot of offensive debuffs to throw around, even Sephiroth's first phase will still hurt.
  • A medica BSB, of course. (In my case Yuna's BSB doubled as a buff for Quistis.)
  • A source of Grand Cross to block the dispels on your OSB characters. In my case I went with Invincible Blade to give Zidane the +ATK/DEF buff, but regular Grand Cross/Indomitable Blade will work too.
  • An ability you can spam to grant party-wide instacast, so as to keep the OSB characters throwing damage and to keep everyone else alive for those last few seconds. I used Raijin's Aura, but other possibilities include Ramza's History's Truth/Relm's Divine Portrait/Tellah's Bomb Core/Vayne's Mach Wave.
  • Crappy weapons on anyone who isn't around for damage or healing. Depending on the above setup you may still do too much damage to the boss to keep him in his first phase during setup, so as a last resort you may actually need to heal Sephiroth.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread