Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

foolish_fool posted:

I don't really understand how following the instructions of a committee chosen by some people sufficiently adept at game-playing as to become delegates at some meeting is any more democratic in practice than just following your conscience.

the committee is democratically elected from and of the membership of the party, to express the views of the membership of the party. The power flows up, not down.

foolish_fool posted:

And even if they truly polled the membership, presumably the questions asked would have a big impact on the result. "Do you support the original gonski?" might be the question asked with an obvious unanimous answer, but "when the optimal policy is impossible, should you hold out for impossible perfection or negotiate for the best possible outcome?" is very different.

yes the phrasing of questions has a very strong influence on the outcome of opinion polling, well done. let's try another couple:

"If the government of the day is attempting to pass bad legislation, and they can do it without your assistance by negotiating with other parties, should you attempt to negotiate anyway?"

"If offered a poo poo sandwich, should you refuse or ask for tomato sauce?"*

*please note that other people at the table are asking for extra poo poo, and the kitchen is only making one type of sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

actually gonski 2.0 is good policy specifically and only because it fucks over the papists

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
only the poor ones!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

even better

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Here we go lads.

Bakers Delight and other retailers paid to take interns under new welfare program

Young Australians who receive welfare payments could undertake internships for businesses such as Bakers Delight as part of a new deal announced by the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull.

On Monday Turnbull and the employment minister, Michaelia Cash, announced that the government, in partnership with the Australian Retailers Association, is broadening its PaTh program, first introduced in the 2016 budget.

Under the scheme the government will pay businesses $1,000 to take on young, unemployed people as interns for up to 12 weeks. The young jobseekers working as interns would receive $200 on top of their fortnightly welfare.

“The program we are undertaking is bringing young Australians into the workforce,” Turnbull said.

He added, “120,000 over four years will get the opportunity to get some prework training and then get an internship that will set them on the pathway to fulltime employment.”

The program will apply to Australians aged between 15 and 24 who are seeking employment, which the government says will help curb the increasingly high youth unemployment rate in Australia. A recent report found that almost one-third of Australian young people are unemployed or underemployed.

But the president of the Australian Council for Trade Unions, Ged Kearney, said the program was a “kick in the guts” for working Australia. At a press conference on Monday she said the program provided a “perverse incentive to not offer young people a job”.

Some retailers, including Bakers Delight and Coffee Club, have already agreed to participate in the program and take on interns.

Industrial relations is becoming an increasingly strong focus for both the government and the Labor party.

The Fair Work Commission’s cuts to some penalty rates in the retail and hospitality sector, which came into force over the weekend, has drawn heavy criticism from trade unions. Turnbull has supported the commission’s decision, saying it would be “reckless” for parliament to set penalty rates.

The opposition leader, Bill Shorten, has committed to reinstating penalty rates if the Labor party forms government at the next election.

The policy director at Interns Australia, Clara Jordan-Baird, said the proposal risked normalising internship culture in the retail sector.

“My first job was at Bakers Delight. I didn’t need to do unpaid work experience for 12 weeks to learn how to do it. Nobody needs to. After a short period, you are performing productive work and deserve to be paid for it as an employee.

“It shouldn’t be normal to pop into your local Coffee Club and see an ‘intern’ waitress working for free.”

200 dollars a fortnight in exchange for working for free.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

the committee is democratically elected from and of the membership of the party, to express the views of the membership of the party. The power flows up, not down.

It doesn't sound much more than nominally democratic, at least as Rhiannon explained it. Probably I'm just incompetent as a party member but if they had a similar committee in the states I have been in it isn't clear to me that such a committee would reflect my opinion or even have any way of knowing it one way or the other.

quote:

"If the government of the day is attempting to pass bad legislation, and they can do it without your assistance by negotiating with other parties, should you attempt to negotiate anyway?"
Yes, you should always at least try to turn bad legislation into less bad legislation.

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 3, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You should not make yourself complicit in passing bad legislation because of some misguided sense of pragmatism. The Australian parliament is not a place where people get together and negotiate in good faith to achieve consensus and good outcomes for all.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Victorian Government have made Ted Baillieu the head of a commission investigating cladding on buildings after the Grenfell fire disaster.

So I guess the government aren't in a hurry for a result since they hired Do Nothing Ted.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey Kid wanna work at Bakers Delight for free?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Anidav posted:

Hey Kid wanna work at Bakers Delight for free?

Hey, isn't it 2.63 an hour more than not working? Sounds like a training bargain!

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/justinfabo/status/881731273986777088

https://twitter.com/justinfabo/status/881734596823470080

Something about killing all boomers

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

You should not make yourself complicit in passing bad legislation because of some misguided sense of pragmatism. The Australian parliament is not a place where people get together and negotiate in good faith to achieve consensus and good outcomes for all.

Right, you absolutely vote no if you can't get to a good result. But you should at least try, and it seems to work at times (like the Senate voting reforms, or earlier than that bits of the Gillard gov).

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

foolish_fool posted:

It doesn't sound much more than nominally democratic, at least as Rhiannon explained it. Probably I'm just incompetent as a party member but if they had a similar committee in the states I have been in it isn't clear to me that such a committee would reflect my opinion or even have any way of knowing it one way or the other.

direct democracy doesn't work because the power flowing upwards only occurs within an ideal party

..or something

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

Don't forget - the company gets $1000.

Zenithe posted:

This is a loving joke right?

Don't you work at Coles Express?

I have a niece who works there and she told me just a few weeks ago that the company's been quietly getting rid of all their casual staff over the last six months and leaving almost all their stores really understaffed. Some stores only have four or five staff which is insane for stores open 7 days a week from 5 am to midnight.

I have to wonder if they knew this was coming.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 3, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
1000 year ALP reich based on ditching this and penalty rate fuckery.

But we're in the darkest timeline so that won't happen anyway.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Remember how the head of the Reserve Bank said wage growth was not high enough and it was causing problems with the economy? Guess who's staff are getting a sub-inflation rate pay rise [ABC]

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So Australia is basically adopting Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker program and removing the foreign part of it?

Also I was under the impression your minimum wage was tied to inflation. Is that no longer the case?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ABC posted:

Indigenous girls skipping school, stealing during menstruation due to cost, embarrassment

Girls in remote Indigenous communities are stealing sanitary pads and skipping school for several days during their periods, a Queensland report finds.

The University of Queensland's Global Change Institute report found girls who were normally law-abiding felt forced to steal sanitary pads from local stores, because packets could cost up to $10 each.

Schools in some areas had no sanitary bins in bathrooms, others had no soap, or the toilets clogged up, the report found after speaking to 17 organisations in Queensland, Northern Territory, South Australia and NSW.

One representative said sometimes there were bins outside the toilet, but it is too "embarrassing" to use.

Lead researcher Doctor Nina Hall said they set out to evaluate drinking water quality and the issue of feminine hygiene was unexpected.

They found menstruating was still a source of shame for girls, and it was not talked about.

"Access to pads can be really expensive at local shops, $10 a packet," one representative told the researchers.

"There are cases of women stealing who would never normally steal.

"They're just so embarrassed that they steal pads ... depending on how it's located in the store."

Excerpts of interviews with students revealed hygiene standards in some places were not acceptable in modern day Australia.

The report found women were also using underwear instead of buying sanitary pads.

"The local plumbing services say there are a lot of problems with not just tampons being flushed but various piece of clothing," Dr Hall said.

"Mothers and grandmothers have said that girls are missing school when they have their periods.

"It shocks me as an Australian.

"When we as women and girls manage our menstruation it shouldn't be a barrier to daily life.

"Girls are potentially missing school every month which is not a story you expect to hear in Australia."
Obligation to fix hygiene challenges

In 2011, there were about 116,000 people living in remote, discrete Indigenous communities.

The report said hygiene challenges such as poor water quality contributed to ongoing health disparities.

Dr Hall said no one organisation or government body was to blame for the sub-standard conditions.

She said Australia was a signatory to the United Nations' sustainable development goals overseas, but needed to look closer to home.

"At an international level we've got that responsibility," Dr Hall said.

"Before Australia just focuses overseas where we provide our aid dollar, have we got everything sorted out here?"

How's the drinking water situation in schools .... HOLY gently caress WE'RE TREATING YOUNG ABORIGINAL WOMEN LIKE ABSOLUTE poo poo JUST FOR GROWING UP

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

So Australia is basically adopting Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker program and removing the foreign part of it?

Also I was under the impression your minimum wage was tied to inflation. Is that no longer the case?

Fair Work are supposed to take a range of things into account when they're setting it, including living standards, so it shouldn't get too out of step with inflation, but it's not indexed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is anyone going to beg the question around these internships (at Baker's delight rofl) being less efficient than just having the worker get paid, generate tax revenue and also spend creating GST revenue? It seems easier to give payroll concessions to small business, get people out of Centrelink treadmills and also make more revenue than run whatever this Frankenstein is meant to be.

Ah wait I wrote all that poo poo then realised it's not meant to help the worker or the country at large. My mistake.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It really does look like they're just trying to burn everything down and salt the earth because they know they're done next election. They've got a year so they need to get busy.

------------------------------------------------

Tanya Plibersek will not back NSW Labor motion to recognise Palestine [Guardian]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Look if Sally Student isn't agile enough to make my bread for free the maybe she should look elsewhere like baking my bread for 90 cents on Airtasker.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bogan King posted:

I figured the bads were about even and the real differences were we have better beaches vs Canada having better snow + poutine.

Nah, Australia is definitely worse. And it's not just me feeling homesick, my husband is like "gently caress that I'm never moving back to Australia, Canada is a way better country in almost every single way" and can't wait to get his citizenship.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but if America's economy crashes so will Canadas due to all those Nafta trade deals.

Meanwhile Australia can choose to be the trade bitch of the highest bidder because we went from an island of convicts to an island of whores.

My breasts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

When you think about it, Australia is pretty lewd senpai

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Look if Sally Student isn't agile enough to make my bread for free the maybe she should look elsewhere like baking my bread for 90 cents on Airtasker.

gently caress. I use airtasker for some stuff and nut out fair price per hour and material they might use. Then I have people bounce back immediately offering to do the job for half what I've advertised, volunteering to work for like $10 an hour.

E: like I got a dude to clean my balcony because I don't have the chemicals and would do a poo poo job. I advertised for $110 thinking it was a 3 hour job max and I had a guy offer to do it for $50 bringing his cleaning poo poo. The guy that did it was done in 2.5 hours, did a good job and took the $110 which I think is fair.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 3, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Delusional man spewing incoherent statements in Canberra, more as news develops

quote:

Turnbull confident he will be PM for 'very long time'

Malcolm Turnbull declares he is going to be prime minister for a very long time, delivering a warning to his critics that he will not be forced out of his job.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord-Tyrant Turnbull incoming.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anidav posted:

Yeah but if America's economy crashes so will Canadas due to all those Nafta trade deals.

Meanwhile Australia can choose to be the trade bitch of the highest bidder because we went from an island of convicts to an island of whores.

My breasts.

Canada's economy is hosed right now regardless of what America does hahaha.

Like, it could not be more of a house-of-cards situation and it's not going to be pretty when it comes crashing down.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Don't you work at Coles Express?

I have a niece who works there and she told me just a few weeks ago that the company's been quietly getting rid of all their casual staff over the last six months and leaving almost all their stores really understaffed. Some stores only have four or five staff which is insane for stores open 7 days a week from 5 am to midnight.

I have to wonder if they knew this was coming.

Yes. It's not that they are getting rid of casuals because staff cuts, it's actually worse than that. A lot of stores recently stopped being open 24 hours, and now close between midnight and 5AM. Because of this, everyone who was doing graveyard shifts was out of a job. This is of course a problem if they are full or part time, as they are required to be given hours. The "solution" was to fire casuals and shuffle in people they grudgingly have to give work to.

Our place was lucky enough to remain never close, and we have seven staff who man the store.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Deputy Labor leader says she will stick with federal parliamentary party position ‘on recognition of a two-state solution’

look, we recognise a two state solution, and we already recognise one of the states, but it's vitally important that we don't recognise the other state.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Job agency update: Gave them a medical certificate last week excusing me from my appointment today. Just received a message from them saying my Newstart has been suspended for missing the appointment and to call them immediately. Rang them and was told to call back tomorrow because they've locked the filing cabinets and are about to go home.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

snoremac posted:

Job agency update: Gave them a medical certificate last week excusing me from my appointment today. Just received a message from them saying my Newstart has been suspended for missing the appointment and to call them immediately. Rang them and was told to call back tomorrow because they've locked the filing cabinets and are about to go home.

loving incredible.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

burn down the job network

burn down the governments

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/its-a-national-disgrace-federal-government-slammed-on-prrt-20170702-gx2vuh.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

Australia is set to eclipse Qatar as the largest exporter of gas in the world by 2020 but will receive just a fraction of the revenue, $800 million compared to Qatar's $26.6 billion, under the current arrangements.

We really need to redefine what corruption is so our politicians can be arrested for this poo poo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

open24hours posted:

We really need to redefine what corruption is so our politicians can be arrested for this poo poo.

let's ask Andrew Robb or Ian Macfarlane to head up the investigation

starkebn fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 3, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Government builds social housing and then lets it sit empty long enough that it gets trashed and becomes unliveable [ABC]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Here we go lads.

Bakers Delight and other retailers paid to take interns under new welfare program

Young Australians who receive welfare payments could undertake internships for businesses such as Bakers Delight as part of a new deal announced by the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull.

On Monday Turnbull and the employment minister, Michaelia Cash, announced that the government, in partnership with the Australian Retailers Association, is broadening its PaTh program, first introduced in the 2016 budget.

Under the scheme the government will pay businesses $1,000 to take on young, unemployed people as interns for up to 12 weeks. The young jobseekers working as interns would receive $200 on top of their fortnightly welfare.

“The program we are undertaking is bringing young Australians into the workforce,” Turnbull said.

He added, “120,000 over four years will get the opportunity to get some prework training and then get an internship that will set them on the pathway to fulltime employment.”

The program will apply to Australians aged between 15 and 24 who are seeking employment, which the government says will help curb the increasingly high youth unemployment rate in Australia. A recent report found that almost one-third of Australian young people are unemployed or underemployed.

But the president of the Australian Council for Trade Unions, Ged Kearney, said the program was a “kick in the guts” for working Australia. At a press conference on Monday she said the program provided a “perverse incentive to not offer young people a job”.

Some retailers, including Bakers Delight and Coffee Club, have already agreed to participate in the program and take on interns.

Industrial relations is becoming an increasingly strong focus for both the government and the Labor party.

The Fair Work Commission’s cuts to some penalty rates in the retail and hospitality sector, which came into force over the weekend, has drawn heavy criticism from trade unions. Turnbull has supported the commission’s decision, saying it would be “reckless” for parliament to set penalty rates.

The opposition leader, Bill Shorten, has committed to reinstating penalty rates if the Labor party forms government at the next election.

The policy director at Interns Australia, Clara Jordan-Baird, said the proposal risked normalising internship culture in the retail sector.

“My first job was at Bakers Delight. I didn’t need to do unpaid work experience for 12 weeks to learn how to do it. Nobody needs to. After a short period, you are performing productive work and deserve to be paid for it as an employee.

“It shouldn’t be normal to pop into your local Coffee Club and see an ‘intern’ waitress working for free.”

Automation threat? No problem, we'll prevent robots doing those jobs with literal slave labor :v:

In fact we'll pay employers not to actually hire people. :suicide:

Young people are getting so hosed.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Can we call in the Queen to fire all these chucklefucks in parliament?

She still can right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The governor general has that power on her behalf but I think that delegation of duty means she doesn't have the right to do it herself anymore. Could be wrong but I think she's all figurehead at this point

• Locked thread