Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

So I am grossly unqualified to make this thread since I only really started paying attention to Australian politics again like a week ago, but :dealwithit:

Let's get the most important stuff out of the way first:

Happy 150th birthday, Canada!

That's right, on July 1st Canada marks 150 years of confederation. You'll note how we did not, in fact, pick a date that completely insults our first nations peoples, although to be fair that's probably more good luck than good measure, we have committed and continue to commit some horrible atrocities against our native peoples.

But enough about Canada, things happened in Australia in June too:

For one thing, Cardinal George Pell is being charged with a bunch of child sex offenses. Will he come back to Australia to fight them? He says yes but in reality nobody believes that so we'll have to see.

Also, the NSW greens proved that they are the loving worst in multiple ways.

First they covered up a (serial?) rapist in their ranks, then they hosed over Lee Rihanon in a way that honestly I don't really understand and if someone else wants to summarize it properly I'll put it here.

Mia Freeman continued to prove she's a giant sack of poo poo by fat shaming a lady and Hobo Erotica had a meltdown defending her. Do not talk about Mia in this thread.

Anyway, onto the main players:

Bill Shorten is somehow still leader of the Labor party, I assume by sheer virtue of everyone forgetting he exists for a few years.

Malcom Turnbull is still Prime Minister.

Tony Abbott refuses to go quietly into that good night and quite frankly it's just embarassing at this point.

And speaking of embarassing, Pauline Hanson is still around and actually doing ok in the polls, she doesn't even deserve a bear gif.

Happy Canada Day, Auspol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Our bears look more like this

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
God drat Canadians stealing our thread creating jobs.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ora Tzo posted:

God drat Canadians stealing our thread creating jobs.

Their greatest offence since ruining perfectly good chips and gravy by dumping cheese curd on it

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Yoplait is french for yoghurt.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BCR posted:

Yoplait is french for yoghurt.

You're banned from this thread.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HookShot posted:

You can't handle the truth

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

HookShot posted:

:getoot:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, everyone knows it is French for 'yum'

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
All of you are banned :colbert: :france:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
nobody cares about canada

Taiwan #1

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bandt eh?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've been watching Ms. Fisher mysteries on Netflix because I spend forever on the spin bike now since I sprained my ankle skiing a few weeks ago, and I find it absolutely astounding at how casually racist that show is.

I mean, I shouldn't, but it's like they TRY to be super progressive and stuff by having the one character of [not white Anglo Saxon Australian] who is so much better than all the other people of their race because they're so progressive and it's like holy poo poo all you're doing is perpetuating huge stereotypes and then going "but THIS man isn't like all those other Chinamen, because he doesn't deal in or use opium, he's one of the GOOD guys like a true blue Aussie bloke would be."

And then in one episode there was an interracial couple and they point out that they were married in Australia and not America because in Virginia interracial marriages weren't allowed and the heavy implication was "we're not SAVAGES like those Americans" and I'm just like HOLY poo poo THIS IS 1928 THE WHITE AUSTRALIA POLICY MEANS THE BLACK LADY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BEEN ALLOWED INTO THE loving COUNTRY YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN AMERICA YOU ARE AT LEAST EQUALLY BAD JUST IN A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WAY and anyway long story short the show is ok as long as you watch the episodes that are only about white people.

I legitimately forgot how much casual racism there is in Australian TV since it's been so long since I've watched it though. It's super, super jarring.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm gay.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/j0BCZwh.mp4

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-01/counter-terrorism-raids-charged-teenagers-refused-bail-in-sydney/8670108

There aren't words for how far down the terror theatre pit we have gurgled.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmyoRNL0hrQ

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, sounds a shitload like regular old drug dealers who are brown are now terrorists.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pFJPrU5gc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq7nEb0X4kM

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmPVCKnkKWA

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmSHQknks8

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNMEq6E5Ic

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

HookShot posted:

I've been watching Ms. Fisher mysteries on Netflix because I spend forever on the spin bike now since I sprained my ankle skiing a few weeks ago, and I find it absolutely astounding at how casually racist that show is.

I mean, I shouldn't, but it's like they TRY to be super progressive and stuff by having the one character of [not white Anglo Saxon Australian] who is so much better than all the other people of their race because they're so progressive and it's like holy poo poo all you're doing is perpetuating huge stereotypes and then going "but THIS man isn't like all those other Chinamen, because he doesn't deal in or use opium, he's one of the GOOD guys like a true blue Aussie bloke would be."

And then in one episode there was an interracial couple and they point out that they were married in Australia and not America because in Virginia interracial marriages weren't allowed and the heavy implication was "we're not SAVAGES like those Americans" and I'm just like HOLY poo poo THIS IS 1928 THE WHITE AUSTRALIA POLICY MEANS THE BLACK LADY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BEEN ALLOWED INTO THE loving COUNTRY YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN AMERICA YOU ARE AT LEAST EQUALLY BAD JUST IN A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WAY and anyway long story short the show is ok as long as you watch the episodes that are only about white people.

I legitimately forgot how much casual racism there is in Australian TV since it's been so long since I've watched it though. It's super, super jarring.

Just watch the excellent documentary series 'Rake' instead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

AgentF
May 11, 2009
My favourite Malcolm Turnbull trivia

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

http://www.didmalcolmturnbullstrangleacat.com/

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/880289631643738112/pu/vid/246x180/5N-YTnOUTk6eRAIH.mp4

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm hearing talk that there is going to be a new thread. Auspol Left Renewal. loving splitters.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Former prime minister Tony Abbott has urged his sympathisers in the New South Wales Liberals to wrestle back control of the party from powerbrokers.

The now backbencher is demanding an overhaul of the Liberal state branch, but many in the party have accused him of stoking a broader factional brawl between moderates and conservatives.

There is a heated debate bubbling away in the New South Wales division over whether to adopt a Victorian-style plebiscite model to empower branch members in preselecting candidates.

Mr Abbott made the comments at a gathering of conservative Liberals, billed as a "Call to Arms for the Forgotten People of our Party".

He warned his colleagues of the threat from the Labor Party, backed by the war chests of the union movement, come the next election.

"The only way we can be a real people's movement is if we respect the people, above all else if we respect the people who are in our party," he argued.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
No joke i think he is going to challenge

Please Crean yourself

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lid posted:

No joke i think he is going to challenge

Please Rudd 2.0 yourself

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Crean of the Crap

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lid posted:

"The only way we can be a real people's movement is if we respect the people, above all else if we respect the people who are in our party," he argued.

He is seriously the worst public speaker.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Mr Abbott told the party faithful they had seemingly been forgotten by those in the Liberal hierarchy.

"The great thing about the Liberal Party is we have always respected our leaders," Mr Abbott said.

"You go along and join a branch, you respect the president. You go along to the state council, you respect the state executive.

"You elect a member of parliament, you give that person great respect.

"We have a Prime Minister, maximum respect.

"But respect is a two-way street, it's got to be a two-way street and it's time the party hierarchy showed the respect to the membership the membership has always given to them."

:growingironicat:

After the event, Mr Abbott said he was not preparing a leadership challenge, and remained a "servant of the party".

oh poo poo he's going Full Keating here

Lid fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 1, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Crean of the Crap

http://i.imgur.com/j0BCZwh.mp4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh is he seriously making a tilt for leadership again

leadershit

pooshit

pooppoops

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Really grasping at straws here, it never mattered when he was winning, and it's clear that the Right generally feel cornered, they can see the disaster coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
We just need Abbott to get the ball rolling, today a conservative challenge, tomorrow a moderate challenge.

• Locked thread