Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I can't fathom any way the dems can lose in 2018. But this has never stopped them from losing before.

exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Squizzle please chill. It's too early in you reign to go mad with power.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

what point is power if not madness

- probably said by an anime villain

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jeb! Repetition posted:

counterpoint: throw out sixxers on the reg for funsies.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
people who voted for trump are still happy with his performance, and others (this is for dems too) will just show up and vote republican rote regardless. what issues do you think will get center/rightist to vote for the democrats over republican candidates in swing states? job numbers under trump have been exceeding expectations most months (not really his doing ofc) and most people have no idea what single payer is (not that we dont really need it)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I can't fathom any way the dems can lose in 2018.

Imagine if they decided not to spend any money on longshot races, and instead focused on winning a narrow majority. Like, that was their goal. Now imagine that they actively sabotage candidates that are too far to the left, and prop up carpet bagging centrists. Now imagine that their primary message is "russia russia russia, Trump is personally a bad man" and also that is their only message.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I can't fathom any way the dems can lose in 2018. But this has never stopped them from losing before.

Boy can you believe that Russia stole another election for Trump?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Relin posted:

people who voted for trump are still happy with his performance, and others (this is for dems too) will just show up and vote republican rote regardless. what issues do you think will get center/rightist to vote for the democrats over republican candidates in swing states? job numbers under trump have been exceeding expectations most months (not really his doing ofc) and most people have no idea what single payer is (not that we dont really need it)

at this point its not about convincing the other side, its about motivating your base to vote and demotivating the other. 16 showed this clearly, people will vote for their party even if they run a joke moron candidate, such as hillary clinton

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

consumed by normies posted:

at this point its not about convincing the other side, its about motivating your base to vote and demotivating the other. 16 showed this clearly, people will vote for their party even if they run a joke moron candidate, such as hillary clinton

The centrist/Clintonite vs progressive/Sanderista schism continuing to be a bleeding ulcer in the Democratic party is going to be great at demotivating the base!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

The centrist/Clintonite vs progressive/Sanderista schism continuing to be a bleeding ulcer in the Democratic party is going to be great at demotivating the base!

yeah just like corbyn demotivated all those very numerous and real blairites

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yeah just like corbyn demotivated all those very numerous and real blairites

actually the argument is that corbyn sucks more than any centrist, but may is so terrible she's somehow making him look good. so we still need centrists for when a non-terrible tory shows up (also, a centrist would've beaten may)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Condiv posted:

actually the argument is that corbyn sucks more than any centrist, but may is so terrible she's somehow making him look good. so we still need centrists for when a non-terrible tory shows up (also, a centrist would've beaten may)

yeah and its a very stupid argument

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yeah and its a very stupid argument

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Imagine if they decided not to spend any money on longshot races, and instead focused on winning a narrow majority. Like, that was their goal. Now imagine that they actively sabotage candidates that are too far to the left, and prop up carpet bagging centrists. Now imagine that their primary message is "russia russia russia, Trump is personally a bad man" and also that is their only message.

They still shouldn't lose.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/kid_mao/status/881688835033366528

the democrats version of this would be hillary sunning herself next to christie with "but she persisted vote #democrat" laid over the image

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

They still shouldn't lose.

yet they will

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly wondering what exactly the reaction is going to be post-dem midterm loss. How is it going to be contextualized?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rudatron posted:

I'm honestly wondering what exactly the reaction is going to be post-dem midterm loss. How is it going to be contextualized?

a smashing victory because they only lost the two dozen targeted districts by a few points instead of the usual 20%+

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The standard reaction post-loss has always been to move further right, to try and capture the center, which the GOP has responded to by going further right. But they can't really do that anymore, because they've transparently invested so much in this Trump-is-a-bad-guy stuff, that you can't backtrack that. Simultaneously, moving left is impossible, because they're ideologically not on the left, at all.

So what are they going to do? They can't triangulate here, not anymore.

My hunch is that they'll be so embarrassed by losing, that they'll project their failure elsewhere -- in particular, by hitting the left. All that energy they're focusing on attacking Trump now, by these liberal centrists types, is going to 100% redirect onto the 'Sanders insurgency' or whatever -- because that's the easier target. It's like a psychological defense mechanism, like when abusive victims take out their anger of being abused, on everyone but the source of their abuse via transference.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/881537465588228096

https://twitter.com/nytscience/status/881188882032840706

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

imagine if the ebola outbreak happened under trump rather than obama and then laugh,

Serf
May 5, 2011

why the gently caress are they just calling it plague

also: owns

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

like im no obamatar but that kind of stuff he could handle pretty drat well, whereas trump would have either ignored it or nuked half of west africa

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Serf posted:

cause it can take different forms! bubonic plague, septicemic plague, and pneumonic plague. the last 2 have only recently become survivable (at the cost of ur feets):

quote:

In 2002, a married couple from New Mexico contracted plague at home and developed symptoms while they were on vacation in New York. One of the patients, John Tull, developed septicemic plague.

Mr. Tull’s kidneys nearly failed, and tissue in his feet and hands turned black and began to die. He was placed in a three-month medically induced coma and doctors amputated both his legs below the knee, but he survived.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Serf posted:

Because it's actually a metaphor for fascism, which is starting to appear since Trump's election

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

rudatron posted:

The standard reaction post-loss has always been to move further right, to try and capture the center, which the GOP has responded to by going further right. But they can't really do that anymore, because they've transparently invested so much in this Trump-is-a-bad-guy stuff, that you can't backtrack that. Simultaneously, moving left is impossible, because they're ideologically not on the left, at all.

So what are they going to do? They can't triangulate here, not anymore.

My hunch is that they'll be so embarrassed by losing, that they'll project their failure elsewhere -- in particular, by hitting the left. All that energy they're focusing on attacking Trump now, by these liberal centrists types, is going to 100% redirect onto the 'Sanders insurgency' or whatever -- because that's the easier target. It's like a psychological defense mechanism, like when abusive victims take out their anger of being abused, on everyone but the source of their abuse via transference.

They'll do both lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the cdc is the long arm of the administrative state /bannon

cholera for all, smash the state

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/kid_mao/status/881688835033366528

the democrats version of this would be hillary sunning herself next to christie with "but she persisted vote #democrat" laid over the image

It's sexism for pointing out that Hillary was at out a beach that the proles couldn't visit

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
see this is why you buy a beach house: you get to have your own beach and don't even need to poo poo down the government to use it

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vox Nihili posted:

Dems gonna gain all of 15 house seats in 2018 and celebrate bigly.

15 bad dems are going to be primaried by progressives and the suck zone will start circle jerking all over themselves.

Then they are all going to lose tto republicans, except in California where 1 or 2 might win from their stupid top 2 primary system, but only because they were running against a worse dem.

Joementum posted:

see this is why you buy a beach house: you get to have your own beach and don't even need to poo poo down the government to use it

This is an appropriate typo

The Nastier Nate has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Jul 3, 2017

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

that house looks like a nice place for bernie to enjoy time with his family and grandkids and i hope he enjoys it :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/garbagekate/status/881635509063229441

Noted leftist Louise Mensch

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/881857059138023424

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Serf
May 5, 2011

comforting to know that the portal to bizarro world is still open

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

imo it's cool that Democrats are every bit as reactionary and moronic as the conservatives they've been looking down on for decades

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the lesson that dems will choose to learn from their 2018 blowout loss will be that the only way to win is to run a billionaire so several hundred superdelegates will immediately endorse zuckerfuck for 2020 president and beginning around april of 2019 there will be a nonstop chorus saying that he has such a huge lead that everyone else has to drop out for the sake of party unity (and there will be many takes saying that no, this is not the party establishment putting their thumb on the scale in the primary)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Jul 3, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imo it's cool that Democrats are every bit as reactionary and moronic as the conservatives they've been looking down on for decades

Remember how they smugly laughed on how the GOP learned nothing from their presidental defeats?

Now they lost the White House and 900 total down ticket races, very sad performance.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/881705113055842304

hillary would agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The prisoners should feel lucky they were allowed to work as slaves at Dread Abuela's plantation.

• Locked thread