Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Sarrisan posted:

(direct hit is also worse than det or crit).

Post your data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

After a few runs through lv 70 dungeons I'm starting to warm to the idea of melding Piety, though maybe that's just from all the WAR tanks that like to pull everything ever. Christ warriors are squishy bastards.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

new to ffxiv, been playing gladiator, got up to level 30, started the level 30 gladiator quest

this is the first quest in the game i've failed and boy howdy am i failing spectacularly-- failed it five times so far!!

anyway that's my ffxiv story thanks for listening

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kaubocks posted:

new to ffxiv, been playing gladiator, got up to level 30, started the level 30 gladiator quest

this is the first quest in the game i've failed and boy howdy am i failing spectacularly-- failed it five times so far!!

The ARR-era job duties are actually surprisingly difficult if you aren't prepared for it. Is this the GLD quest that's on the bridge? I failed that like four times in a row before I finally pulled it off by a hair a couple years ago.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Make sure to kill the named mage on the bridge (the first one, a second shows up later and you'll want to kill him too, but need to take out that first one.)

I buggered up that quest a few times myself because I was too used to the whole 'you take on the nameless adds while NPC fights the named boss' paradigm most of the ARR solo duties seem to follow.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 3, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Emnity seems a bit harder than I was used to (probably the loss of vit dps), now with level 66 tanks. What I am noticing as a healer is a string of tanks that multi pull and then don't pop cooldowns, or pop convalescence or awareness and expect them to matter one poo poo.

I use Convalescence as one of the last cooldowns in my defensive rotation, so if it has reached that point and the full pack is still there, blame the DPS for not AoEing hard enough. Awareness gets paired with the parry booster. Not great, but Sentinel will go first if it's up, then rampart, and then I have to start making due with iffier stuff.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

The 30 GLD quest is the only one of those quest battles I've ever failed. Those dumb idiots on the bridge just kept dying while I was slowly fighting my way to them. I think eventually it gave the echo buff, and I just ran pass everything to kill the guys targeting the npcs at the end asap

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Today, every Shmex accessory "farm" PF I joined was full of bads being toxic at each other (unsurprising), but the Shmex lootmaster doggo farms had actual good people in them that then immediately disbanded after the first clear because none of them apparently read and comprehended that it was lootmaster. Every one of them. It was very peculiar.

(I only joined the lootmaster PFs to fill out my remaining accessories, I'm not in a rush to get the dogs yet so I didn't care about the stipulation).

Also, why do materia other than crit even exist any more when none of the blue gear is capped for crit.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

The ARR-era job duties are actually surprisingly difficult if you aren't prepared for it. Is this the GLD quest that's on the bridge? I failed that like four times in a row before I finally pulled it off by a hair a couple years ago.

yeah, it's pretty nuts, my NPCs keep dying and I'm just sliiiiightly too underleveled/geared to tank everything myself so i'm trying to toe this fine line. it's not working tho so I just bopped back to down and spent half my money on the most up to date gear i could equip.

The Doomhammer posted:

I buggered up that quest a few times myself because I was too used to the whole 'you take on the nameless adds while NPC fights the named boss' paradigm most of the ARR solu duties seem to follow.

fuckin

same

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Getting back to this to finish Heavensword and start Stormblood. Currently need item lvl 200. What are the current best ways to raise item levels?

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Emnity seems a bit harder than I was used to (probably the loss of vit dps), now with level 66 tanks. What I am noticing as a healer is a string of tanks that multi pull and then don't pop cooldowns, or pop convalescence or awareness and expect them to matter one poo poo.

I have a healer friend who has noticed this problem as well. On the subject of awareness though, it's an absolute must for warriors in dungeons so that you can use Raw Intuition on mass pulls. If you don't pop them together, you're literally trying to murder yourself or your healer indirectly through an aneurysm.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Minrad posted:

if you click on your fitting room and ctrl+home you can scale it up :)

Oh, I know, I just framed it roughly and puush'd it in like 4 seconds.

Yeah, lots of poo poo tanks about recently.

theblackw0lf posted:

Getting back to this to finish Heavensword and start Stormblood. Currently need item lvl 200. What are the current best ways to raise item levels?

Go buy i255 level 60 gear from Jeweled Crozier. Pricey and bad, but gets you started.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frankly I've never bothered with Awareness. Does it have any actual impact in serious for-real fights?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frankly I've never bothered with Awareness. Does it have any actual impact in serious for-real fights?

It was useful in Diabolos Hollow, since he opens the fight in a stoneskin that gives him 100% crit rate while it's up, and that made Awareness provide a huge amount of mitigation. So far in SB, doesn't seem like it's as useful as Reprisal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's a handful of fights with guaranteed crits, one of Shiva's stances for one, bow stance I think?

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel bad referencing my original reply, but basically Raw Intuition for warriors parries everything in front of you, but every attack from the flank/rear will automatically crit unless awareness is up. In a mass pull, mobs are naturally going to spread to your flanks sometimes or you're going to need to dodge aoe. As a paladin/dk, uh I dunno. I guess it's just nice to have something extra to pop with a weaker defensive cooldown.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It provides a damage ceiling. It's helpful for large pulls with lots of incoming attacks, but since it provides no actual mitigation itself, it needs to be paired with something.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

There's a handful of fights with guaranteed crits, one of Shiva's stances for one, bow stance I think?

T11 has an add with guaranteed crits during geometry wars, and the A5S shabti has it as well.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Go buy i255 level 60 gear from Jeweled Crozier. Pricey and bad, but gets you started.

Well that was easy :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sarrisan posted:

You can meld str on fending gear, yes, and it is miles better than direct hit (direct hit is also worse than det or crit).

You don't have to worry about this much for leveling purposes.

I will be raiding, I'm just rusty on what stats are good

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Obligatum VII posted:

I use Convalescence as one of the last cooldowns in my defensive rotation, so if it has reached that point and the full pack is still there, blame the DPS for not AoEing hard enough. Awareness gets paired with the parry booster. Not great, but Sentinel will go first if it's up, then rampart, and then I have to start making due with iffier stuff.

Yeah don't get me wrong, Conva is awesome. But it's not the single tool for the job there. Same as awareness - it's not a solo-cooldown when you pull 9 mobs.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's a must-have in a few heavensward encounters, like diabolos hollow's phase two as said, and the pair of Zurvan adds with the stacking damage / crit buff.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

theblackw0lf posted:

One of the NPC vendors in Ishgard sells i255 NQ gear, but there's a good chance you can get the HQ versions on the market board for the same price or even cheaper. Alternately, all of the old tomestone types and gear were consolidated to Poetics when Stormblood came out, so you can get Shire gear easily enough now. They also made Micro Tomestones and Deepest Gob-whatever buyable for 100 Poetics, so upgrading to an i270 weapon, chest, and legs might be worthwhile if you have some tomestones to burn.

Also, glamours yes, giraffes yes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
had a d/c that hosed a susano ex fight so i got a good screenshot out of it

but then we cleared it slightly after! yay!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Also it's been so long forgot how best to tank in a dungeon.

What's a good paladin guide? (lvl 60)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I will be raiding, I'm just rusty on what stats are good

str is good and direct hit is good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

It makes Raw Intuition less-punishing to gently caress up.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

theblackw0lf posted:

Also it's been so long forgot how best to tank in a dungeon.

What's a good paladin guide? (lvl 60)

For trash, just flash as you run through the pack to grab their attention. Usually you only wanna grab two packs at a time, unless your healer is really on the ball. Once you grab the last pack of your pull, bunch everything up, maybe flash more if you're worried, and spam your shiny new lvl. 44 AoE. Then beg for the sweet release of Goad that will never come.

For bosses, just keep Goring Blade up while mashing out Royal Authority combos. I usually do two or three Halone combos in Shield Oath before swapping to sword and DPSing. Just keep an eye on the threat bars; its a bit harder to keep aggro from pubs this patch, so you might have to switch back to shield eventually. If you're lucky, they will use their own aggro management tools to help, but this is exceedingly rare.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Today I joined an emanation EX PF group that had sprout/learning and "Let's wipe!" in the description. There were 5 new people in the group and we killed it 10 times without wiping. One time both tanks didn't get vril for the transition, died, and then both died at the same time again to the off-tank cone, and yet we still beat it that time. That fight is real easy. That's my story.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tsurupettan posted:

str is good and direct hit is good.

Ok, I had seen tenacity mentioned too since it benefits both output and mitigation but I haven't found myself to be under-geared for tank busters so far.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Related, are there generally accepted stat weights for direct hit and tenacity yet? Ariyala doesn't have numbers yet so the BiS calculation isn't a valid solution

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tenacity seems to be bugged because it's effects seem to be negligible to non-existent.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm hearing direct hit up to ~1300, then crit up to ~1600, then more direct hit for most melees, but i also know gently caress-all about melees

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Tenacity seems to be bugged because it's effects seem to be negligible to non-existent.

It's not bugged, it just scales worse than Det, which is pretty much what everyone expected. Every ~200 Tenacity increases damage dealt/reduces damage taken by 1% and every ~180 Determination increases damage dealt by 1%.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WrightOfWay posted:

It's not bugged, it just scales worse than Det, which is pretty much what everyone expected. Every ~200 Tenacity increases damage dealt/reduces damage taken by 1% and every ~180 Determination increases damage dealt by 1%.

I had heard it was 1000 Tenacity to get 1% more damage?

Plus, I thought that it being tank locked would make it scale better. Or at least enough to make stacking it worth while.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The 1000 per 1% thing was just wrong. I imagine the logic behind scaling tenacity damage below det is that tenacity gives both more damage and damage reduction while det is just damage.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Where do I get Cracked Clusters?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Stormblood A Rank or better hunts. Dunno if B ranks drop em.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Shy posted:

Where do I get Cracked Clusters?

A and S rank Stormblood hunts.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are these the boxed letters displayed near the creature's name?

e: I have nameplates disabled, it's funny figuring out if a creature is a minor nuisance or can destroy me in two hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Shy posted:

Are these the boxed letters displayed near the creature's name?

You're probably talking about the boxes which appear when you kill multiple of the same creature in a row. Those haven't got anything to do with A and S ranks. A and S ranks have different icons next to their name and are often larger than standard enemies.